Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trading a #1 defenseman because you don’t think he has much longer as a #1 defenseman only works when you have other defensemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Weird that the McDonagh trade hasn't been announced yet though...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or when you're admitting the season is over and trying to bilk other teams out of their assets so you can refuel your team in the summer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/968224213185302528

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Who the gently caress is wingels

Bottom 6 guy. Pretty sure he and Gionta are depth for the hell month the Bruins are about to go through.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or when you're admitting the season is over and trying to bilk other teams out of their assets so you can refuel your team in the summer.

Luckily there’s always a top 4 on the market so this plan can’t go badly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Why do we give a poo poo when rebuilding? Or is it just snark time?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Rangers currently have 6 #7 defensemen.

You still need to show some active defense even when rebuilding, or the refs call a TKO.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Hornqvist deal is hardly a steal, but I think it's fine for the penguins window, especially with the cap set to go up.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Why do we give a poo poo when rebuilding? Or is it just snark time?

Yeah the Rangers are settling down for a nice few seasons of lottery goodness, getting worse is part of the plan

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Aphrodite posted:

You still need to show some active defense even when rebuilding, or the refs call a TKO.

Brady Skjei and Marc Staal will save us!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Something something a rhyme about the next #1 draft pick.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Jovial Cow posted:

Brady Skjei and Marc Staal will save us!

lmao I forgot we still have Marc Staal

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

lmao I forgot we still have Marc Staal

$5,700,000 'til 20-21

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also I forgot Shattenkirk who they also have signed for 3 more years.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Do you think they told him the plan was to blow up the team around him or...

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aphrodite posted:

They should probably trade him next year when he doesn't have a full NMC.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
the rangers defensive problems thus far start far more with their forwards than their defensemen...

Their D depth isn't good right now for sure though and no one is playing particularly well regardless of their potential

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Johnny_Perogy/status/968232559715876864

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't say it was a perfect or even realistic plan. But it is a plan!

And when it comes to saving your job the appearance of doing something always works better than just weathering the storm.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/FlyGoalScoredBy/status/968169892997488641

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Aphrodite posted:

we'd probably be in the playoffs if he hadn't decided to keep playing for several months after ruining his knee (was that even it? i don't remember now) this season

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jeff did pretty good. He's still got some poo poo to clear out from Sather but this is a very good start to a rebuild to fit into the "modern NHL".

Now my next big milestones for him are the draft and getting a new coaching staff outside of Allaire.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

If you take out Namestnikov/Miller that McDonagh return reminds me of the Kovalchuk deal.

bergfors was out of the nhl in ~2 years and patrice cormier topped out at middle-6 ahl'er. one of lou's last great heists

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

bergfors was out of the nhl in ~2 years and patrice cormier topped out at middle-6 ahl'er. one of lou's last great heists

The first ended up being used in the Buff deal though, right?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What's so frustrating is that Benning has acquired these nothing young* players over and over and it's never worked before yet they keep thinking they've found a guy who's lost in the shuffle on a better team ready to breakout.

*not young

So far they've acquired:

Adam Clendenning at 23 (cost Gustav Forsling) - became throw in for the Sutter trade
Andrey Pedan at 22 (cost 3rd round pick) - became throw in for the Pouliot trade
Sven Baertschi at 23 (cost 2nd round pick) - serviceable middle six forward
Markus Granlund at 22 (cost Hunter Shinkaruk) - serviceable bottom six forward
Emerson Etem at 23 (cost 6th round pick) - lost on waivers
Nik Goldobin at 21 (cost Jannik Hansen) - AHLer
Derick Pouliot at 23 (cost 4th round pick) - #7 at best
Tyler Motte at 22 (cost Thomas Vanek)
Brendan Leipsic at 23 (cost Philip Holm)

Do they honestly expect those last two will have any more success than all the others that came before them? At best they got an okay 2nd liner for an entire draft. Why not just keep the picks and hope for the best? How are any of the guys the team acquired then lost for essentially nothing any better than what they gave up? They're at the point where the first and second generations of reclamation projects have busted out. Goldobin and Pouliot are looking likely to do the same. They never learn, but keep insisting the NEXT guy will be the home run. It's just needlessly frustrating and complicated for no reason.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Who the gently caress is wingels

Pretty run of the 4th liner, decent penalty killer. He won't hurt you so long as you don't ask him to do too much. Hawks fans have an out-sized love for him because he's from the Chicagoland area, but he's just a guy.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

The first ended up being used in the Buff deal though, right?

the last charge of don waddell

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

What's so frustrating is that Benning has acquired these nothing young* players over and over and it's never worked before yet they keep thinking they've found a guy who's lost in the shuffle on a better team ready to breakout.

*not young

So far they've acquired:

Adam Clendenning at 23 (cost Gustav Forsling) - became throw in for the Sutter trade
Andrey Pedan at 22 (cost 3rd round pick) - became throw in for the Pouliot trade
Sven Baertschi at 23 (cost 2nd round pick) - serviceable middle six forward
Markus Granlund at 22 (cost Hunter Shinkaruk) - serviceable bottom six forward
Emerson Etem at 23 (cost 6th round pick) - lost on waivers
Nik Goldobin at 21 (cost Jannik Hansen) - AHLer
Derick Pouliot at 23 (cost 4th round pick) - #7 at best
Tyler Motte at 22 (cost Thomas Vanek)
Brendan Leipsic at 23 (cost Philip Holm)

Do they honestly expect those last two will have any more success than all the others that came before them? At best they got an okay 2nd liner for an entire draft. Why not just keep the picks and hope for the best? How are any of the guys the team acquired then lost for essentially nothing any better than what they gave up? They're at the point where the first and second generations of reclamation projects have busted out. Goldobin and Pouliot are looking likely to do the same. They never learn, but keep insisting the NEXT guy will be the home run. It's just needlessly frustrating and complicated for no reason.

Don't forget reid boucher

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

corn on the cop posted:

everyone, let's take a backseat and admire that jim benning trade. that deal is incredible.

Fuckin' :laffo: Motte and a free player for Vanek.

Underappreciated, Saad+Forsberg+pick became Panarin+Vanek+pick. :tviv:

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

i am the bird posted:

Still looking for confirmation that he tried to trade Nyquist to Winnipeg, though. Detroit could probably unload him at the draft.

Not sure why Winnipeg would want Nyquist. They aren't short on wingers. Chevy also said that as soon as he heard that Stastny was available a couple of days ago he dropped everything and focused on that. Sounds like the teams finalized the deal last night and then asked Statsny. I guess he thought about it overnight and decided to waive his ntc.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So when Gibbons gets back, things should be interesting, it'll likely run something like:

Bratt-Hischier-Hall
Grabner-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Maroon (adds physicality to their "shutdown" line I suppose)
Wood-Boyle-Gibbons

I hope Zacha continues to play as hockey heats up down the stretch. Devils have good forward depth!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't forget reid boucher

I didn't include any waiver wire pick ups but there are a bunch like him who fit the same category: Joseph Cramarossa, Brandon MacMillan, etc.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Duck Rodgers posted:

Not sure why Winnipeg would want Nyquist. They aren't short on wingers. Chevy also said that as soon as he heard that Stastny was available a couple of days ago he dropped everything and focused on that. Sounds like the teams finalized the deal last night and then asked Statsny. I guess he thought about it overnight and decided to waive his ntc.

It’s been one of those longstanding rumors in Detroit and someone in the deadline thread said Nyquist chose not to waive the NTC, but I see now that it’s bullshit only being reported by Jeff Moss, who is a total loving boner who has “sources” that are never correct. He’s the same idiot who said Zetterberg vetoed a mom’s trip (including XO’s dying mother) in favor of bringing his friend on the dad’s trip.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/omgrodnick/status/968238831077126144

#FireAV

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
there's like, no chance vigneault is back next year right?

right?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Hayes-Zuccarello
Spooner-Namestnikov-Fast
McLeod-Desharnais-Carey/Lettieri

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-O’Gara
Gilmour-DeAngelo

Hank

Well this should be an interesting 19 games. I’d like to get Shattenkirk back so we can see if Skjei-Shattenkirk is a serviceable first pair.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jovial Cow posted:

Vesey-Hayes-Zuccarello
Spooner-Namestnikov-Fast

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-O’Gara
Gilmour-DeAngelo

Hank

Well this should be an interesting 19 games. I’d like to get Shattenkirk back so we can see if Skjei-Shattenkirk is a serviceable first pair.

switch fast and zucc (and the 2nd and 3rd line around) and that could be kind of a fun line

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jovial Cow posted:

Vesey-Hayes-Zuccarello
Spooner-Namestnikov-Fast

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-O’Gara
Gilmour-DeAngelo

Hank

As we get close to the end of the season I'd like to see Andersson/Chytil get a game or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I don't think I saw this mentioned here but apparently Plekanec was 19 games short of 1000 and the Habs traded him to the only team in the league with fewer than 19 games remaining.

• Locked thread