Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

So why'd she claim that she has no more shots? The only town justification, which I now agree with after thinking about it more even though I don't do that myself, would be if she's lying.

Ha guess I could have previewed. I would assume there is at least a decent chance she is lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

Just the one-shot part or was there some other bit she left out? I wouldn’t have said that in my initial claim either. She only added on when asked to shoot someone else, which she didn’t have to respond to I guess but I don’t really see why you think that’s more 3rd party than town

I wouldn't have claimed it at all. That's really all I'm latching onto. Now, I agree that I can see a town justification in lying about it. It's probably worth ignoring for now while we try to find scum because she isn't getting lynched.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What we need more of is people making votes with cases instead of saying 'I'd vote these forty people, all kind of scummy.'

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I thought it was important to establish if she could shoot again. It's a valuable asset.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

merk posted:

So why'd she claim that she has no more shots? The only town justification, which I now agree with after thinking about it more even though I don't do that myself, would be if she's lying.

Gridlocked posted:

Hey MMT I can't quote atm because phone is being poo poo but in the event that neither Lumpen or Snail getting lynched today (which is likely due to the heavily split voting) you can just shoot one on d2

Because Gridlocked rolefished her and she thought that was the cagiest reply. Gridlocked, what the hell? Don't ask for town power role info all that does is make people an easy target for scum.

Gridlocked posted:

I thought it was important to establish if she could shoot again. It's a valuable asset.

A valuable asset for scum!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Gridlocked posted:

So with this clarification in mind MMT would you be willing to admit if the power you used works only on either Human (scum) or Host (town)?

It's ok if you don't want to

Gridlocked posted:

Hey MMT I can't quote atm because phone is being poo poo but in the event that neither Lumpen or Snail getting lynched today (which is likely due to the heavily split voting) you can just shoot one on d2

This is some interesting role fishing when you look at them together. These posts were pages apart.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I’m totally down with a MMT dunk, the shot was dumb and the subsequent claiming following it were pretty sus yessir

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Gridlocked posted:

At this rate we're gonna stall out on day 1 voting and not lynch anyone.

I agree, except:

Gridlocked posted:

I support this logic.

##vote Anomalous Amalgam

You haven't made any attempt to push any case. This is your vote right now. It's not even a case. You're piggybacking off of someone else.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Yep it does look a bit fishy doesn't it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Gridlocked is only here to talk about MMT's claim, never about who is actually scum. This is scum trying to hide in plain sight by appearing to be helpful without actually helping. Even the comment about 'oh boy we better not no lynch' is an example of it when paired with him not pushing anything all day.

This is the best case out there today - ##vote Gridlocked

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

merk posted:

I want to correct this real fast. You mean with her claimed ability it doesn't make a lot of sense for her to be scum based on what we know right now.

Town loses when we assume people aren't scum based solely on role. We don't have perfect information. She could be lying (e.g. Faulty Vig?).

This is fair, but I'm talking in the context of D1. I won't blindly trust her for the whole game but that doesn't mean she isn't a terrible lynch candidate today. As far as I'm concerned MMT is the strongest possible town read D1 and lynching her would be a mistake.

Would I lynch her if she was the only choice and I was the deciding vote at deadline? Of course I would because No Lynch is terrible and at least her flip would give us some info, but that's about what it'd take to get my vote on MMT. Today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is the sum of Gridlocked's scum hunting today:

Gridlocked posted:

I support this logic.

##vote Anomalous Amalgam

Gridlocked posted:

I thought DGK had a good point. Jumping on a joke vote first post seemed like try to slip a cheap one under the radar

Gridlocked posted:

I notice Tobbs is a subject of much debate but has yet to make a vote of his own.

Gridlocked posted:

I also think Dead Cow is cool because they are also over the whole human vs host flavour debate

This is the scum of Gridlocked's discussion about roles and flavor today:

Gridlocked posted:

I think thats a bit too deep. Maybe theres just another layer.

So there's: Town vs Mafia vs 3rd Party on standard.

And then there's: Human or Host on another.

So you can have a Town Human or a Town Host.

Gridlocked posted:

Being someone who has never watched the show with out googling my character I'd never know if I'm a robot or not. Considering that's the show right? Who's human and who's a robot. Also AI sentience iirc?

Gridlocked posted:

So with this clarification in mind MMT would you be willing to admit if the power you used works only on either Human (scum) or Host (town)?

It's ok if you don't want to

Gridlocked posted:

Good to know. You now have most of my trust. You're either town or 3P.

Gridlocked posted:

Are we still stuck on this. Dad clarified that Host and Humsn sre just theme appropriate replacements for Town and Scum.

Gridlocked posted:

Gridlocked posted:

Easy answer on why to claim: decrease the value of mafia killing you in the night. Espically if you can't hurt town with your powers, thus meaning anyone you blam is automatically getting a free trust increase from everyone.

Gridlocked posted:

How do you known she isn't lying and Isn't out of bullets.

Gridlocked posted:

That is indeed what I'm implying. Merk doesn't seem to think that's a thing though. Makes me a bit sus on him tbh, like he's trying to get you before you can fire a second shot.

Every other post is random banter that has no meaning (Discord chat, complaining about no lynching).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

merk posted:

I agree, except:

You haven't made any attempt to push any case. This is your vote right now. It's not even a case. You're piggybacking off of someone else.

The simple case made sence to me espically for day 1 because other than that its simply playing poke toe bear and see how they react. I don't know people well enough to get tells or what not so my personal solid source of info is to see what comes out when a tree is shaken.

Re: mmt. I thinl its important to know what limits are imposed on her obviously very useful power espically if she pulled it day 1 and exonerated someone. Means she is either very useful in the future on d2 or now a power down and back to regular person power levels. However I understand if she'd rather not share.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Additional category worth noting:

Gridlocked posted:

I see no reason to change my vote. I'm shooting in the dark anyway.

Gridlocked posted:

Also I'm still not changing my vote cause I like to gather info on day 1.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm on AA vote because jumpinf on tje first joke vote for the bandwagon is a bit scummy. And I need info so one sacrifice is as good as any.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is a good case. Gridlocked doesn't want to find scum, but he wants to make it look like he is being helpful.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

The simple case made sence to me espically for day 1 because other than that its simply playing poke toe bear and see how they react. I don't know people well enough to get tells or what not so my personal solid source of info is to see what comes out when a tree is shaken.

Re: mmt. I thinl its important to know what limits are imposed on her obviously very useful power espically if she pulled it day 1 and exonerated someone. Means she is either very useful in the future on d2 or now a power down and back to regular person power levels. However I understand if she'd rather not share.

This is just wrong. If a town power role is withholding information it's because they think it better for scum not to know than it is for town to know, and it's their call.

This is scummy as hell and not at all how town should play.

Merk seems to be genuinely riled up about the possibility I'm being too naive in my townread on MMT. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the perceived Mafia dadding, but for now I'll
##unvote

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

This is explicitly information you do not want scum to know. Isn't that obvious? You do not want scum to know whether or not they should target MMT tonight, period.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm here again!

Right now my assessment of the game is that Tolly, AA, and RF are all town. They've all done stuff that could be easily interpreted as suspicious, but in all three cases the way they've acted since being cased has changed my mind. Tolly explained what she was thinking as she did it, AA has shown a willingness to answer any cases thrown at him / seemed genuinely frustrated at the case on him, and the case on RF seems like mountains being made over molehills.

I'm re-reading over Lumpen and am starting to feel like he's scum.

I had the same opinion Lumpen did regarding AA at the start of the game - I thought the "end of jokephase" stuff was insincere too. But none of the other stuff Lumpen cites as reasons to be suspicious of AA really work for me:

(a) AA was indignant and accused me of being scum when I cased him, sure, but those are normal town reactions. I'dve been the same way if I were on the receiving end of that case. Lumpen: how would you expect a town AA to react compared to what you've seen this game?
(b) I don't really think AA was flailing or dodging questions. He made a few weird posts that seemed to be inspired by not having fully read everything, but again I think that's something town is more likely to do (:justpost: instead of holding back). Lumpen: can you provide any examples that pinged you?
(c) I can't imagine a world where town Lumpen would have a problem with AA's case on Snail, but not make a post interrogating the perceived flaws in it. He just mentions it offhandedly in a list of "why AA is suspicious".
(d) I also can't imagine a world where town Lumpen wouldn't have cased Snail (who was also notably left off his LumpenList) himself by now. Lumpen: what's your opinion of Snail?
(e) His opinion of Tolly doesn't seem to factor in her explanation of why she voted Tobbs. Lumpen: do you really think that was a scum plot on her part?

I’m reposting this about Lumpen so that Merk repeating “strong claim” over and over doesn’t make it go unnoticed.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

HiipFire posted:

I’m totally down with a MMT dunk, the shot was dumb and the subsequent claiming following it were pretty sus yessir

Gridlocked is relatively new but HiipFire isn't. I checked on votefinder. I feel like this guy should know better and I already had him on notice to make some cases, and this is just crap.

##vote HiipFire

Stop content lurking. Make a case. Tobbs good opinion of you is not enough.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Whaaaat?

People are making a thing out of MMT being a 3p brutal cop?

Is this a thing?

Why is everyone in mafia crazy land in this game?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lando131 posted:

This is explicitly information you do not want scum to know. Isn't that obvious? You do not want scum to know whether or not they should target MMT tonight, period.

I never said I was good at Mafia.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I feel like I might be the most rational person in this thread. (Other than lumpen and clone lumpen)

That is like the opposite of how the world is supposed to be.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

I’m reposting this about Lumpen so that Merk repeating “strong claim” over and over doesn’t make it go unnoticed.

Can your case on Lumpen be explained away if you knew he was too busy to follow along with the thread today? Each point you make could be excused with that.

His posts don't have the same work put in them of the Lumpen I remember from old. He couldn't even form a real LumpenList. I feel like he might just be busy.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

To be clear, is "someone claimed a vig that can kill scum and confirm town, I am concerned about them" how town thinks?

This wasn’t rhetorical ##vote Merk

quote:

I claimed no bullets because I thought I had seen through a transparent attempt to rolefish me. And I did, it's just not from the person who I originally thought was doing it.

Literally the only reason for merk to be harping on me is that scum wants to know more about what I can do.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

This wasn’t rhetorical ##vote Merk

Literally the only reason for merk to be harping on me is that scum wants to know more about what I can do.

I've never asked you what you can do?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

BTW, the string claiming is what makes it clear you're not town. You come out with some new little part of the claim without any regard whatsoever for disclosing this new thing, but you definitely withheld information initially for some reason. That's not how town thinks.

That said, I don't think the role makes sense as scum from what we've seen. Maybe I'm wrong.

Murmur Twin posted:

To be clear, is "someone claimed a vig that can kill scum and confirm town, I am concerned about them" how town thinks?

My top post does not jive with your characterization of it, friend. I'm concerned about the string claim and your thought process in doing it. That's it. I've said it repeatedly.

After diving in further, I now think Gridlocked is actually scum from it.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Why is a one shot cop that reveals both the cop and the result in thread so difficult for people?

And how in the gently caress is 3p what you get out of that?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

50 pounds of bread posted:

Why is a one shot cop that reveals both the cop and the result in thread so difficult for people?

And how in the gently caress is 3p what you get out of that?

Hey, who is scum?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

Can your case on Lumpen be explained away if you knew he was too busy to follow along with the thread today? Each point you make could be excused with that.

Why are you approaching this from a place of defending lumpen instead of looking at it objectively?

I’m not saying he’s lurking - I’m saying he’s giving town reads and fabricating cases. Again, feel free to actually address the points in the case.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

AA and DGK.

Gridlocked isn't a horrible choice either.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

Why are you approaching this from a place of defending lumpen instead of looking at it objectively?

I’m not saying he’s lurking - I’m saying he’s giving town reads and fabricating cases. Again, feel free to actually address the points in the case.

I am having trouble reading Lumpen today. His tone is weird with the PR.

However, the points you raise in your case made me think "yeah, but that's just because he seems busy" rather than think he's scum from any of them.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Lando131 posted:

Gridlocked is relatively new but HiipFire isn't. I checked on votefinder. I feel like this guy should know better and I already had him on notice to make some cases, and this is just crap.

##vote HiipFire

Stop content lurking. Make a case. Tobbs good opinion of you is not enough.

gently caress yeah dude you do you

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Anomalous Amalgam Town

The moment he realized jokephase was over, he wanted to look at the serious players.
Wanted to take a serious look at Lumpen and Me at a point in the game where I think combined posted in the thread totaled, like, 40.
Defended himself like I think a townie would.
Put forth a case that I think is actually decent on Snail.

Lumpen SCUM

"Confirmin' totally Town, amigos!" He never forgets to capitalize both T's as town.
Says he didn't see any posts that strike him as scummy, calls out Tolly for a vote.
Claims to have been affected on N0, doesn't share what it was in any way other than it affects his posting.
Advocating for RF to claim.

Lando Town

I was quick to think scumslip, then learned more.
Seems genuinely interested in peoples opinions.
Mostly gut, but seems to be reacting pretty town.

Fiddy SCUM

Low content.
Most of his content is flavor arguments.
Stuck on a miller idea for no good reason.
Thinks AA and I were bussing each other?

KB Not really sure.
Low posts, gets called out a lot so far.

RF Scummy

Not really a whole lot here, but I expect more content from town Opop.

Tobbs Scummy

P.much claimed rolecop
Said he'd vote for... lurkers pretty much. Doesn't seem to have many reads.

Merk Scummy

Seems to be mostly skimming

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
I see I should have refreshed before hitting post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My Ctrl-F thing was a joke. I am not skimming at all.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

DGK2000 posted:

Lumpen SCUM

"Confirmin' totally Town, amigos!" He never forgets to capitalize both T's as town.
Says he didn't see any posts that strike him as scummy, calls out Tolly for a vote.
Claims to have been affected on N0, doesn't share what it was in any way other than it affects his posting.
Advocating for RF to claim.

Point 4 is the strongest thing so far about why Lumpen might be scum. This was after RF clarified everything that I think anyone wanted to know about the flavor issue. This does look like fake content, unless he just missed the post that RF quotes for him later in the page.

Points 1, 2 and 3 are not anything though.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

merk posted:

My Ctrl-F thing was a joke. I am not skimming at all.

I actually like your gridlocked claim, he's been under my radar. Rolefishing the gently caress out of the brutal cop is unneeded, imo.

##vote Gridlocked

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Retro Futurist posted:

I guess the former. Like there's nothing in my PM about me being explicitly human, but unless DBD has top secret S2 information the character I am is a human. I am not a miller.

Lumpen posted:

RF should more fully and specifically claim because I find his explanation still a bit confusing and I want a clear simple direct post of exactly what he is claiming. I think I get it but I don't presume to put words in anyone's mouth.

Either Lumpen missed the top post or he's trying to push content that doesn't seem to matter from a town person. There's nothing confusing about RF after that post.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hello all,

Who should i read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

DGK2000 posted:

I actually like your gridlocked claim, he's been under my radar. Rolefishing the gently caress out of the brutal cop is unneeded, imo.

##vote Gridlocked

The rolefishing alone doesn't really bother me. It's that he's rolefishing instead of scum hunting to try to appear helpful.

• Locked thread