Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I’m gonna say it was Nagito and Mikan who went to the gross extremes. They’re the visibly craziest about Junko, based on Nagito giving himself the Ultimate Stranger Technique hand and everything about Mikan when she snaps and gets her memories back.

I’m also gonna say that it may be excessive but it works, it’s gross and uncomfortable and shocking intentionally. This is a cult of personality around one woman who abused everyone and everything for her own sick and twisted desires. Of course her followers are going to be equally hosed up. The Necrophilia works because it’s obviously horrific and despair inducing and that’s the point. These people were so broken that the cure is to make them forget they were ever broken at all.

UDG and 3 have other problems but that’s for another time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m gonna say it was Nagito and Mikan who went to the gross extremes. They’re the visibly craziest about Junko, based on Nagito giving himself the Ultimate Stranger Technique hand and everything about Mikan when she snaps and gets her memories back.

I mean the rest of them could be that crazy in the real world too, it's just being suppressed by the Neo World Program right now.

I wonder how Monokuma was about to break Mikan's real memories out of their suppression, and why he didn't do it to everyone, though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man I really want to say something about what everyone's :stonk:ing about but to do so would require talking about DR3 which I can't do as per my own thread rules.

What I'll ask instead to anyone familiar with the original script is if the Japanese scene used similar wording and phrasing for shock value or if this was played up for the localization? If you have to use a spoiler bar for it, you can.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hah! Called the eye!

Nagito replaced his whole arm though, not just the arm? I guess that big block of stone did mash her very well.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Hah! Called the eye!

Nagito replaced his whole arm though, not just the arm? I guess that big block of stone did mash her very well.

I mean if the body was in any condition to do uh, various other things to it does seem like there was a retcon there from the DR1 ending.

Halospaz117
Sep 23, 2017

FPzero posted:

Man I really want to say something about what everyone's :stonk:ing about but to do so would require talking about DR3 which I can't do as per my own thread rules.

What I'll ask instead to anyone familiar with the original script is if the Japanese scene used similar wording and phrasing for shock value or if this was played up for the localization? If you have to use a spoiler bar for it, you can.

From what I remember, the original translation wasn't straight up necrophilia, as much as something about transplanting Junko's womb and/or ovaries in place of their own. Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FPzero posted:

Not that I do know what the wording and phrasing is in the Japanese version but as I've sort of been on it for a while I think it's important to remember that all the Dangan Ronpa games are a form of social commentary, and the way Junko's Ultimate Despair is described I think it's partially about modern day celebrity cult of personality stuff. Which like everything else is taken to an insane and absurd extreme so people will pay attention to how insane and crazy it actually is to treat people the way Ultimate Despair treated Junko, even if it isn't taken as ridiculously far as they did.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halospaz117 posted:

From what I remember, the original translation wasn't straight up necrophilia, as much as something about transplanting Junko's womb and/or ovaries in place of their own. Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

That sounds more messed up then necrophilia.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Halospaz117 posted:

Alright now I'm gonna :stonk:

FPzero fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 27, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So if they don't chose to graduate, do all their 'dead' friends come back to life?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Halospaz117 posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What the gently caress, Kodaka?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Halospaz117 posted:

Oh hey, this sounds about right for Mikan at least, Nagito is the stranger and Mikan decides to give birth to the next Junko, wonderful.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Halospaz117 posted:

Yeah, in japanese it was something closer to "have her children" rather than "have children with her"

Still open to interpretation, but the common theory is that that particular picture is Mikan doing a transplant on herself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How is Mikan even still alive after that?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How is Mikan even still alive after that?

The books and anime very clearly show that Ultimates are bullshit far beyond what usually gets shown off in the killing games. She's the ultimate nurse. She can make anyone survive nearly anything that isn't instantly fatal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hey Makoto. You sound a lot like a certain... Other person who was really into hope. It's weird. Stop being weird.

Also transplanting body parts? Figure that they'd do something crazy like that. Even the :stonk: stuff.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Edit: wow, wrong thread. This isn’t VLR!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Halospaz117 posted:

:wtc: That changes the situation dramatically and yeah, suddenly necrophilia doesn't seem so bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
See I wouldn't be surprised if it was Teruteru.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

See I wouldn't be surprised if it was Teruteru.

He probably cooked some of her or something, I figure if they can't combine their talents with their ultimate despair at Junko's Death what's the point?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
...I mean, if we're going to take talents into account Gundham would be pretty mortifying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, uh, what kind of despair things do you think Mahiru did?

Taking indoor photos with the flash still on? Not removing the red from people's eyes?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I bet she started taking cell phone videos while holding the phone vertically.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Taking indoor photos with the flash still on? Not removing the red from people's eyes?

Crappy cell phone videos of movies in theaters. You're taking money from the theaters and movie makers and at the same time getting people to voluntarily watch shaky, grainy, inaudible, tiny copies that will ruin the movie for them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As a serious answer she probably took photos of the rest of them as publicity stuff, and their actions. The perfect shot of a mass murder.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Saionji? What could she possibly do?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

As a serious answer she probably took photos of the rest of them as publicity stuff, and their actions. The perfect shot of a mass murder.

Well, I was going for goofy answers, admittedly, but that's probably the serious route. That or taking pictures of whatever horrible things she gets up to and using that to mentally break people.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dancing on people's graves? :shrug:

Honestly, she'd probably bully Mikan into doing malpractice harder or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mraagvpeine posted:

El Tango de la Muerte

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mraagvpeine posted:

See, the thing about art is that it’s meant to evoke an emotional response from the audience. I imagine the the Ultimate Dancer, Photographer, and Band Member would all be very good at that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Again, serious mode. A consistent thing about this set of students is they almost all have power over other people, or can lead other people. This was true of the first game too, but in this one we've got a lot of celebrities and big shots. If the tragedy that destroyed the world was huge you need people capable of leading others to do horrible things too, Saionji etc probably used their talents to make other people do what they told them to do.

Junko corrupts them, they corrupt the world.

Edit: What Stroth said basically.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Spoilers for her free time events, but Saionji is heiress to a very old and traditional dance family. She would have been able to have some influence, same as Fuyuhiko.

Like, Nekomaru personally trained some of the world's best athletes. If he could corrupt old connections and train up new Despair-influenced soldiers, he'd have been able to spread a lot of Despair.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

So if they don't chose to graduate, do all their 'dead' friends come back to life?

They never say so, so I'm gonna guess no? It was implied earlier that their brain has been emptied out.

Anyway, if you choose "Get out" at that prompt in the last update, I suppose you just lose some points and it gets back on track?

E: Wait a second, I just thought of something. Let's add up our evidence that the folks in the Neo World Program are the Remnants of Despair:

- Hajime's memory of Nagito with the hand. Very strange but circumstantial at best. If you use it as evidence at all, it certainly doesn't prove all of them are involved.
- The file Nagito got that caused him to try and kill everyone. Given to him by Monokuma, who is hiding something.
- Monokuma's account, which, as I just said, isn't trustworthy.
- Makoto's account. But this Makoto seems to be fake, and isn't trustworthy.

What we do know from the Alter Ego scene is that the actual Future Foundation wants to help everyone escape from the future.

So, all the evidence we have that Hajime et al. are Remnants of Despair is untrustworthy, except for Hajime's memory, which is circumstantial.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 27, 2018

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Halospaz117 posted:

Great, and now I'm stuck wondering if that actually worked somehow.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Halospaz117 posted:

If this is the case then the localisation was pretty clever. Still though :barf:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
In spirit of "how to apply Despair" discussion... did Kazuichi build Terminators or work subtle and make them intentionally defective in horrible manners? Also, the timeline here and how it corresponds with Junko's mortal remains if it doesn't have clarification later on.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

GuyUpNorth posted:

In spirit of "how to apply Despair" discussion... did Kazuichi build Terminators or work subtle and make them intentionally defective in horrible manners? Also, the timeline here and how it corresponds with Junko's mortal remains if it doesn't have clarification later on.

Based on the beanie in the screenshot, I’m assuming he’s the one that gunned down people.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kitala posted:

Based on the beanie in the screenshot, I’m assuming he’s the one that gunned down people.

He can do both. You gotta have a hobby away from your job or you’re gonna burn out man.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: I said I'm going to save you guys...
: Why aren't you listening to me!?
: L-Let's do what he says and get out of here.
: I mean, the Future Foundation's the good guys, right?
: And apparently we are actually the bad guys...
: It's fine to trust him, right...?
: The Future Foundation is the world's hope!
: No one can defy the Future Foundation...
: It's foolish to even think about it!

There's...something wrong with him...!

: Wait! "No one can defy the Future Foundation?" Then how can Makoto explain this one?

> Shoot "defy" with "E-mail to Makoto Naegi"

: Hold on! Did you say it's foolish to defy the Future Foundation...?
: Then how do you explain your actions!?
: M-My actions...?
: I saw it... The e-mail that the Future Foundation sent to you...

To Future Foundation 14th Division -- Makoto Naegi:

Where are you guys? What are you doing right now? What you're doing right now is a serious act of treason. Do you understand? Why are you protecting the Remnants of Despair? It should be abundantly clear to you how dangerous it is to keep these people alive. Stay calm and think about this carefully. You guys are being lied to. Think carefully about what's important to bring the light of hope to the world.

The six of you joined the Future Foundation because you agreed with our ideals, right? The Future Foundation rescued you from the tragedy you survived and cooperated with recovering your memories.

Immediately return the Remnants of Despair to our headquarters. Unless we eliminate them, The Tragedy will never end. Everything...is for the sake of a future filled with hope.

: In that e-mail...Makoto Naegi defied the Future Foundation to protect the Remnants of Despair...
: Which clearly contradicts what *this person* is saying!
: ...Tch!

: Huh...is that e-mail for real? The Future Foundation tried to kill us?
: Hold on! We'll deal with that later!

: Hey Monokuma... Those clues we found were all real, right?
: G-Gasp!

And...that's not the only contradiction... What this Makoto person is saying also contradicts what we've already been told...

: But it's not just the virus either... I can't say for sure that the program didn't have any problems in the first place... To tell you the truth, I was unsure about whether or not to run the program on you guys... But this was the only way to save you all! I wanted to save you guys!

To me... Those words seemed much more "real".

If so, the person in front of us is...

: Tell me, Makoto Naegi! Who are you!?

: Wh-Who is he...? Simply put, he's Makoto Naegi, who's known for being a cutie-patootie!
: I-I'm not asking you! I'm asking...

: You insolent fool! If you're saying he's not Makoto, then show me some proof!

Dammit...he's trying to interfere! Then...

To prove whether that Makoto Naegi is real or not... I'm gonna shove *that* in his face!

: This PTA starts out at a higher tempo than usual. Additionally, Monokuma's patterns are semi-random and come in typically large waves.

: It's not a bad idea to use Fever Time to just ride it out because this one gets long and can be a little hard. But it's not insurmountable!

: You insolent fool! If you're saying he's not Makoto, then show me some proof!

: Makoto Naegi...if that's who you really are, then tell me this!
: Why did you make the password to Nezumi Castle "11037"!?
: ...

: Um... What was that again...?
: ...You can't answer!?

: Th-That's weird... Wait, you...where'd you find that out...?
: Wh-Who cares!? So how about it!? Can you even answer!?

Music fades out.

: Aw man, I've been found out...
: Found out...? Then you're...

: Puhuhuhu... How disappointing... And I thought I was on the right track..

: H-He disappeared...?
: HEEEEEEEY! Th-That guy disappeared!

: Why are you surprised...? It's a computer program...so anything's possible, right?
: Th-Then...that was just the work of Monokuma?
: Awwwwww...you found out I was faking! Th-This is so embarrassing, I just wanna kill myself!
: What are you doing...!? Why'd you show us a fake member of the Future Foundation?
: That fake was trying to get us out to the "real world"...

: Then that's your plan!? Is that where your trap is!?
: Man, they saw right through me... I may as well be invisible...
: A trap...? What kind of trap did you set!?
: Hey, if you know what's good for you, you better hurry the hell up and confess...

: I'll beat ya half to death if you tell us now, but if ya don't spit it out soon, I'm just gonna kill ya!
: Just kill him right now! Then this nightmare can finally end!
: Violence is not allowed! This isn't that kind of game, it's a much smarter game, right!?
: What game!? This game is already over!

Music fades out.

: This game...is over...?

: No no no...I'm not gonna let you finish yet... There's no way this can end before I've even transformed.
: ...Tr-Transform?
: A transformation is customary in a final boss battle, right? You know, like that one role-playing game.
: You know what game I'm talking about. Final...
: D-Don't say it!

: Now then...allow me to show you... I'll skip the second and third forms and go straight to...MY FINAL FORM!

: You better not be bluffin'! I'm gonna beat the crap outta you and pull all your stuffin' out!

: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH...

: ...Ugh!

Wh-What...?

I...have a bad feeling about this...! Like the inside of my brain is burning...sizzling...a really, really bad feeling...

Rumbling SFX

: Now then! Make sure you burn this ginormous despair you're about to see into your memories!
: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH...

: UGYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
: I-I'M GONNA D-DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Music cuts out.

:siren: Click here to watch this part if you weren't already! :siren:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
She's baaaaaaaack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

FPzero posted:

: H-He disappeared...?
: HEEEEEEEY! Th-That guy disappeared!

: Why are you surprised...? It's a computer program...so anything's possible, right?

Took the thought right out of my head Kazuichi. Although I worded it kind of like "How the gently caress are you still surprised when stuff like that happens??"

quote:

Welp, there she is. Virtual Junko. I like the theory floated in this thread that she's a virtual recreation of Junko rather than Junko being alive this whole time (that'd be some bullshit). But I honestly don't know what to believe when it comes to how. Could be a hand wavey sci-fi recreation a la Black Mirror Season 4 Episode 1 using DNA from various parts of her body like someone mentioned (sorry I can never remember any names), or it could be an AI recreation, uploaded memory, or even just an impersonator. This game is so batshit I won't be surprised no matter what it's about to try to sell me.

But I'm still enjoying it! That entrance was great.

• Locked thread