Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
most skills have a few trainers lying about, at least, ive seen pickpocketing and lockpicking at least one other place each

not being able to sell stolen goods though sucks. loving peshek gives me better prices for stolen gear than most merchants do for honest gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DogonCrook posted:

I undesrtand that but what im saying is that just leaves all the underlying systems broken. Like if swing hard on them blocking it should unbalance them a bit and open up an opposite strike etc. It certainly is something they can do to you. And combos being blocked is fine if the blocks wear down their stamina opening them up for a later blow. And also it seems like parrying is not just rng but instead has more to do with your swords initial position and where the strike comes from. Same for blocking their combos, if you are out of position it seems like you can block the first two strikes but the third has you so far out of position you get nailed etc.

And all that is assuming the current system works as intended anyways. Like i can eventually open up robard with combos and make him stagger and pant but it seems like it takes way way too long and im not sure thats intentional.

Im not making a tryhard argument here i think you will always be able to overlevel if you want to. But bullet time leads to the same problem in that as you grow combat becomes far too easy. Also most games like this i play on easy or whatever and stroll through. For me it's not the difficulty one way or the other that im talking about its the fact that it just doesnt use the systems well enough to feel tactical or whatever. It still just feels like any other rpg where hidden numbers are dictating things.

Also i worded that bad i guess i dont have a problem with bullet time i just think its a bad way to fix the balance because again that just feels like hidden numbers and its so close to not being that type of system. I realise what i want takes a fuckload more balancing but its pretty drat close already it would just be a shame imo to bandaid over it.

Yeah I see your point. I think the system is intended to be a little of both of what we're talking about it's just not tuned well.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Palpek posted:

Also I wonder how many people decided not to do the little quest of grave robbing with Theresa's uncle and by doing so never met trainers for 3 skills, a merchant to sell stolen goods to and an entire chain of quests?

Wait what? What 3 trainers does it unlock? To be honest this part of the story is weird because im a good guy and ive got some pressing issues and i know i owe the guy but im trying to move up in this drat fuedal society and grave robbimg just doesnt fit in there till im grizzled and dont give a gently caress about this horrible place etc. Its pretty easy to justify skipping i think. Plus i payed him and the pharmacist with the buckets of cash i was getting followimg the main quest. The quest sticks around even after you pay him and the doc so i guess ill go steal his drat ring too. What a greedy loving prick.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
You can just ask the executioner nicely for it

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Can I not buy warhose jenda or any horses from that seller after the pestilence quest.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Can I not buy warhose jenda or any horses from that seller after the pestilence quest.

Speaking of which, I'm currently doing the pestilence quest - where can I get saddlebags, etc. for my horse? I've only ever found purchasable horseshoes (from blacksmiths, obviously) but I haven't encountered anyone who sells other horse tack.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, I'm currently doing the pestilence quest - where can I get saddlebags, etc. for my horse? I've only ever found purchasable horseshoes (from blacksmiths, obviously) but I haven't encountered anyone who sells other horse tack.

Horse traders (Neuhof, Uzhitz, Merjohed)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 27, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the amount of due process involved in peacefully resolving Ginger in a Pickle is kind of hilarious and can't possibly be realistic

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Horse traders (Neuhof, Uzhitz, Merjohed)

Well, that would make sense! :v: I've actually been to all of those places, but I must've missed the horse traders somehow. I'll check again tonight I suppose, so I can hopefully spend some of my $30k on new gear for Pebbles, heh

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Get a new horse too. They're only $2000.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Can you impale guys with a pole arm and a horse? I think I might try this later..

Polearms are a bit weird in that you can't equip from inventory but you can drop them and hold them to use. They also seem to disappear or just plain drop on the ground if you try to switch to another weapon. I just stick to the bow and arrow with a sword, but polearm's extra reach is pretty nice.

Is there a reliable way to get lockpicks? I hosed up the miller's tutorial and installed one of the lockpicking mods afterwards but I have no idea where to find them and nests aren't giving me any.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cumans usually hold at least one

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DogonCrook posted:

Wait what? What 3 trainers does it unlock?
Lockpicking, pickpocketing and stealth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Warhorse is team Yen.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Lady Galaga posted:

Polearms are a bit weird in that you can't equip from inventory but you can drop them and hold them to use. They also seem to disappear or just plain drop on the ground if you try to switch to another weapon. I just stick to the bow and arrow with a sword, but polearm's extra reach is pretty nice.

Is there a reliable way to get lockpicks? I hosed up the miller's tutorial and installed one of the lockpicking mods afterwards but I have no idea where to find them and nests aren't giving me any.

What's really weird is I don't have any skills called "polearm" but I can train in the arena and pay bernard to train me in them... wtf?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lady Galaga posted:

The millers tend to have a couple in stock pretty regularly.
Outside of that you'll get them occasionally off of bandits and such.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Palpek posted:

It's seriously hosed up that there's this unlocked chest with endgame gear at a marked camp just by the side of the road near Neuhof. Like, what's the purpose of it right there? Couldn't they have at least given it a very hard lock and put some knights guarding it or something? Put it in the forest? I don't get it.

Strangely, for me (and others) that chest DOES have a very hard lock on it. Playing on pc too, so it should’ve been OK.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

SubNat posted:

The millers tend to have a couple in stock pretty regularly.
Yeah, millers are actually the thieves' guild in the game. I don't know if you have to do the grave digging mission first to unlock them as traders though?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

Yeah, millers are actually the thieves' guild in the game. I don't know if you have to do the grave digging mission first to unlock them as traders though?

Yes.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Doing the grave digging mission to unlock trading makes sense! Guess I'll have to get round to using my spade.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What's really weird is I don't have any skills called "polearm" but I can train in the arena and pay bernard to train me in them... wtf?

you can also mod to add the skill and perks back in. i think it was taken out because the range can break combat - at least that's what i read in this thread, i haven't tried to use them myself.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
After you beat the main story: Isn't the siege of Talmberg supposed to be lifted? It's still there for me, making it impossible to complete the quest Restless Spirit as it requires me to talk to a guy at the Talmberg quarry that doesn't exist during the siege. Also the blacksmith in the quarry doesn't spawn so I can't get his piece of that sword.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's already present to an extent but more to the point not all of us still have the reaction times of 15 year olds and this game has no difficulty slider.

In 90% of games you can just think your way through it, even if that just means cheesing it somehow. In Skyrim the cheese was "crouch and stab" because for some reason enemies were always loving blind, in this it seems to be "shoot them point blank in the loving face".

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Is Captain Bernard white from fear?

oddest bug so far

The more I play this the more I think it's about time someone develop an unified skeletal animation system for games that doesn't suck, can truly blend between animations and can be used across all engines and platforms. Sorta like DirectX. Isn't it beneficial for everyone?
Animations going apeshit in every otherwise nice-looking game is really killing my vibe.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 27, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there any way to skip the opening intro

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

There's a Rattay start save file on Nexus if that's what you mean

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/36

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Nah, the unskippable startup warhorse animation.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oh, there's a mod to skip intro videos yeah, just google it

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Is there any way to skip the opening intro

Theres a mod that makes it just a blank screen.

Theres already a combat overhaul mod that addresses the balance. Theres a lot of tweaks that make it sound like the game just didnt get much balance attention. Like the mod makes it so only a knight can masterstrike you or perfect parry and some scrub in rags will only be able to basic block. It also tweaks armor and weapon values so you dont one shot heavy armor guys.

Unfortunately those tweaks are only gonna be a standalone mod for this version then it gets rolled into a sort of mega mod called dark times.

It sounds to me like the balance was something they just didnt have time to really address because they kinda overlooked some obvious stuff imo like giving all enemies the ability to masterstrike or allowing slashing strikes to cut through heavy plate armor.

Unrelated but i turned in the ring to the miller and i cant buy anything from him. He wont train me in lockpicking or pickpocketing anymore. He says "not after what you pulled" and like i dunno what the old man is talking about. It was weird i could pay him and the pharmacist, maybe that bugged it? Who knows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DogonCrook posted:

Theres already a combat overhaul mod that addresses the balance. Theres a lot of tweaks that make it sound like the game just didnt get much balance attention. Like the mod makes it so only a knight can masterstrike you or perfect parry and some scrub in rags will only be able to basic block. It also tweaks armor and weapon values so you dont one shot heavy armor guys.

Unfortunately those tweaks are only gonna be a standalone mod for this version then it gets rolled into a sort of mega mod called dark times.

It sounds to me like the balance was something they just didnt have time to really address because they kinda overlooked some obvious stuff imo like giving all enemies the ability to masterstrike or allowing slashing strikes to cut through heavy plate armor.

Unrelated but i turned in the ring to the miller and i cant buy anything from him. He wont train me in lockpicking or pickpocketing anymore. He says "not after what you pulled" and like i dunno what the old man is talking about. It was weird i could pay him and the pharmacist, maybe that bugged it? Who knows.

Yeah combat balance is just not worked out. I'm already planning on another full playthrough once a number of DLC's come out and they've had time to get the game better balanced.

Meanwhile though . . . balance in this game is weird.

The best short sword right now? Discounting the DLC Stinger, which is obviously broken and balanced as if it were a longsword, I'm pretty sure it's Needle, which only has like an agility requirement of 6. It only does 40 slashing damage -- but it does 50 piercing damage, which makes it the best one-handed stabbing weapon (short of Stinger of course). Other weapons have similar damage values (for example, Old Family Heirloom has 48 slash/pierce) but for ~*~reasons~*~ (I suspect weight maybe?) do much less damage in practice when viewed in the equipment screen.

Also anything that gives even a slight percentage bonus to damage ends up being a huge effect. The Maintenance perks for additional damage for example give you a BIG bonus at the top end.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 27, 2018

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Despite all the criticisms I'm absolutely loving this. Just killed Runt. . The game has a way of making you feel like a total badass when it works out - I stupidly got hosed up in the battle leading up to it so ended up fighting him at half health and I think almost certainly underleveled/underequipped. He thrashed me like 5 times but then I got lucky with some headstab combos and totally aced it without him getting a single hit in. I know a lot of people are complaining that you can cheese it quite easily but I'm trying to play as intended as best I can and it's nicely satisfying. Really enjoy the way a lot of the mechanics encourage you to develop instinctive skill rather than just fall into a numbers game (superficially at least). I'm getting the hang of swordplay/lockpicking but can't do archery/pickpocketing for poo poo, playing on PS4 so can't really mod anything but that's fine. Only thing I think is super janky is combat vs multiple opponents. I get that it's supposed to be semi-realistic and that getting rushed by five guys is going to end badly for you no matter how good you are but there are a lot of occasions where you're forced into that situation and it just seems like a crapshoot, and the controls seem super geared to 1v1. I've still not even managed to take out the first bandit camp down near the river by Rattay!

Also I thought taking out Runt felt like the game was winding up to a climax, but no apparently I'm like halfway through tops? Nice. Good to have a proper longass oldschool RPG .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The best ways to take out multiple groups are either via stealth or poison.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or the old backpedal-and-bow.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
That mod I mentioned previously that adjusts the lock on system to be much softer also makes fighting groups a bit more possible - it makes the player much more maneuverable and allows you to do pretty cool stuff like rush through a loose line to quickly take out archers without having to hold the disengage button.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So on the 3rd bandit camp, the one near the miller on the NE of Peshek, I had the most enjoyable fight I can remember in video games. Started with a bow shot to the face of an archer who was patrolling, he dropped and the peasant armored guy ran with fear as soon he saw me. the 2 guys in chainmail and kettle hats and the bandit leader charged toward me up the hill. First guy that gets to me is wearing a kettle hat and I masterstriked him from the left to do a face strike.. BOOM dead first hit. Felt that face CRUNCH in.. Second dude and the leader get's a couple hits off as I'm blocking and parrying. Do a lower right to top feint and CRACK, right on the brain box and the other dude in the kettle hat is unconcious. Now I'm fighting the captain and doing masterstrike returns (bunch of failures) and he's doing them to me.. getting hurt a little, about 25% health off.. Then I got a great overhead shot in while he was winding up and boom he's dead.

Proceed to the unconcious guy and hammer smash his face. Load up the horse with too much, couldn't loot the last guy even with 500 total carrying weight + I was overloaded by 100.

Murderer Henry proceeds into town with his blood soaked rags to sell them for a pretty penny.

i'm about 25 hours into the game and been riding around doing stuff and sitting at level 10 with 7 maces, 6 swords, 6 axes, 10 defence, 8 warfare and 12 strength, 8 agility, 8 vitality and 10 speech wearing only looted armor and a purchased warhammer.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nah, the unskippable startup warhorse animation.

Pretty sure the game is loading in the background during that WH logo and intro movie, so you can "skip" them by replacing them with black space, but you won't get to the splash screen any faster. :shrug:

ThomasPaine posted:

Despite all the criticisms I'm absolutely loving this. Just killed Runt. . The game has a way of making you feel like a total badass when it works out - I stupidly got hosed up in the battle leading up to it so ended up fighting him at half health and I think almost certainly underleveled/underequipped. He thrashed me like 5 times but then I got lucky with some headstab combos and totally aced it without him getting a single hit in. I know a lot of people are complaining that you can cheese it quite easily but I'm trying to play as intended as best I can and it's nicely satisfying. Really enjoy the way a lot of the mechanics encourage you to develop instinctive skill rather than just fall into a numbers game (superficially at least). I'm getting the hang of swordplay/lockpicking but can't do archery/pickpocketing for poo poo, playing on PS4 so can't really mod anything but that's fine. Only thing I think is super janky is combat vs multiple opponents. I get that it's supposed to be semi-realistic and that getting rushed by five guys is going to end badly for you no matter how good you are but there are a lot of occasions where you're forced into that situation and it just seems like a crapshoot, and the controls seem super geared to 1v1. I've still not even managed to take out the first bandit camp down near the river by Rattay!

Also I thought taking out Runt felt like the game was winding up to a climax, but no apparently I'm like halfway through tops? Nice. Good to have a proper longass oldschool RPG .

Also, don't forget that they game accounts for having the ~high ground~ so being on a horse (like irl) is a great way to stab dudes. Get some dope-rear end leg armor and circle the enemies on your horse to make this more fun.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Did I screw myself over by moving on with the main quest before getting all of the trainings from the captain of the guard? I'm not too far past the horse stables bit but he just hangs out at the stables with the only option for paid training. I only did the first go around with him and never tried any of the other weapon training options I've read about. Just wondering if there is a point where he goes back to that training yard by the castle.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Soarer posted:

Did I screw myself over by moving on with the main quest before getting all of the trainings from the captain of the guard? I'm not too far past the horse stables bit but he just hangs out at the stables with the only option for paid training. I only did the first go around with him and never tried any of the other weapon training options I've read about. Just wondering if there is a point where he goes back to that training yard by the castle.

After you finish the stuff related to the horse stables he goes back to the castle, but i think he goes off again later for other quests.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
So is there a trick to the lockpicking on console because I find it impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dpulex posted:

So is there a trick to the lockpicking on console because I find it impossible

I found it way hard at first but I'm getting reasonable at it now (though still pretty bad). I find that gaining a few levels by loving it up helps by giving you a bit more wiggle room. Also being fast is as important as being accurate, do don't agonize over keeping it gold while you inch your way round. Just get it into place then turn it quickly while keeping the cursor more or less in the right bit.