Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea I plugged my salary here into one of those cost of living calcs and it easily doubled it for San Jose area at like $190k.

I... I have no idea how realistic that is for me to get out there where it seems like an intern makes $90k.

Guess I should just go try! And start my asking price at $160 and see how little response I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

all that said i still might not take that position cause im not sure its a good culture fit + theres other opportunities coming up that im interested in (but arent in the bag yet)

is it dumb to decline an opportunity just because there might be better, more interesting ones down the line?

if unemployed? Yes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

I... I have no idea how realistic that is for me to get out there where it seems like an intern makes $90k.
my buddy's offer for this summer would be equivalent to ~$100k/yr and they're giving him a housing stipend on top

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

freeasinbeer posted:

if unemployed? Yes.

i dunno man, these other opportunities would also be pretty cool. but i see your point

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

pollyanna take the job. get paid and continue interviewing, it's fine.

KoRMaK posted:

Man, I've been really hankering to get out of Ohio and get to the West coast. Spent time on Vancouver last year and loved it, but it gets cold and rainy. I'd really love to live somewhere where it feels like summer (70+ F) all year round. San Fran sounds nice, but I hear there's a lot of poo. Somewhere around there, or silicon valley would be cool.

I'm a lead Dev at my place and do a ton more than that due to our small company size.

I had to log into my LinkedIn for the first time in 6 years and now that I remember the password I'm thinking about updating it.

vancouver has decent jobs and amazing scenery but kind of bites otherwise (super expensive, unfriendly, if there are wildfires then :rip: summer). victoria has amazing weather and cool people but it's way harder to find a good job. bc, man.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jony neuemonic posted:

...but if you take the job then thats the job, you dont just leave for another one- wait, didnt we cover this? gently caress it alright ill take the job

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i mean, don't leave unless it's horrible or something clearly better comes along but probation periods work both ways. they can fail it just as easily as you can.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

vancouver has decent jobs and amazing scenery but kind of bites otherwise (super expensive, unfriendly, if there are wildfires then :rip: summer). victoria has amazing weather and cool people but it's way harder to find a good job. bc, man.

is it a thing that Vancouver is kind of unfriendly?? My first time was really welcoming but my second time wasn't as much

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Plenty of good jobs in Vancouver if you're just willing to wait. Certainly not the avalanche of of jobs I see getting posted from SF though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

true. i think ill take the job.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

is it a thing that Vancouver is kind of unfriendly?? My first time was really welcoming but my second time wasn't as much

I don't even know what people mean by unfriendly anymore, people are awkward literally everywhere. The nightlife just kind of blows in Vancouver and there's extremely obvious and rampant property speculation. It's probably one of the most fraudulent property markets in the world.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

my experience with nightlife in vancouver is my dad looking at a massive line outside of a club and him saying "wow that place is popular" and me taking one look at the people in the line and being like dad that's a gay bar.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

keep in mind i'm from the east coast which is almost unbearably friendly but yeah, i find people here pretty awful (but fine in victoria, so it's not like i'm writing off the whole coast here).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When I was there I was in that part of town with all the loading docks that's super trendy and saw an icon on a door that I didn't expect to see. Turns out slack has an office there.

jony neuemonic posted:

keep in mind i'm from the east coast which is almost unbearably friendly but yeah, i find people here pretty awful (but fine in victoria, so it's not like i'm writing off the whole coast here).

What's friendly on the east coast? Do you mean USA east coast or Canada?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

When I was there I was in that part of town with all the loading docks that's super trendy and saw an icon on a door that I didn't expect to see. Turns out slack has an office there.

You were in gastown and yeah there's a fair few tech companies based around there. Microsoft has an office about 10 minutes walk away and Amazon is kicking around somewhere in perpetual hiring mode.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

KoRMaK posted:

No, but I wanna. Gimmie that job description please

Where are you looking? I have tons of leads in NYC and SV

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KoRMaK posted:

Yea I plugged my salary here into one of those cost of living calcs and it easily doubled it for San Jose area at like $190k.

Guess I should just go try! And start my asking price at $160 and see how little response I get.

my lead makes $150k+ in seattle, you could probably pull similar here

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

sorry, canada. nova scotia specifically, though even we’ve got nothing on the newfoundlanders. :)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
welp, had my interview with another org internally. It was essentially a full day of interviews and I had probably had too much coffee. I seemed to hit it off with the PMs that they brought in when I said "yeah I really sometimes struggle to not over-communicate about statuses" and their responses were along the lines of "oh god that would be wonderful. Our lives are nothing but people saying that they're fine and then then 4 days before a milestone firing off an email that things are just hosed"

Everyone had their own way of trying to grill me on my root-cause strategies, and I keep being paranoid that I repeatedly froze up with the hiring manager, but at least it wasn't me bullshitting about stuff I didn't know.

also virtually every person kept asking about why the group I have had an internal internship with didn't pick me up (the answer is because they LOVE re-orgs) so I'm now concerned that I'm just damaged goods.

btw thanks YOSPOS, because the one question I kept asking people was 'Who sets milestones and what happens when it's looking like they aren't going to be hit' and that seemed to impress everyone I asked.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

freeasinbeer posted:

if unemployed? Yes.

you should take the offer if unemployed. you are in an at will state iirc, so worst case you quit after a few weeks/months. they may not like that, but it's literally illegal for them to retaliate for it. cultivate a good relationship with someone (coworker or more preferably supervisor) but they can't trash you if you give notice unless they can articulate specific complaints beyond "he quit"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caganer posted:

you should take the offer if unemployed. you are in an at will state iirc, so worst case you quit after a few weeks/months. they may not like that, but it's literally illegal for them to retaliate for it. cultivate a good relationship with someone (coworker or more preferably supervisor) but they can't trash you if you give notice unless they can articulate specific complaints beyond "he quit"

fair nuff. i think ill take the opportunity and keep looking if it isnt good

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

fair nuff. i think ill take the opportunity and keep looking if it isnt good

just keep looking if you sincerely think it it's paying what you want. job searches take time.

(also i'm unemployed so you should probably treat anything i say as suspect)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I once turned down an okay offer while unemployed because I got a chance to final stage interview for a much more lucrative position. Unfortunately I didn't get that job and spent the next 3 months unemployed. Definitely won't be doing that again.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
yeah the only time i'd second guess taking something while unemployed is if i'd be required to pay back relocation

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
it's totally normal for your promising product to have its program manager and half the dev team get laid off with no notice while large contracts are pending. now I'm team lead of a crippled group and report to someone who has never bought into what we're doing.

I also have interviews this week so good luck with your self created dumpster fire you loving idiots

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

I once turned down an okay offer while unemployed because I got a chance to final stage interview for a much more lucrative position. Unfortunately I didn't get that job and spent the next 3 months unemployed. Definitely won't be doing that again.

yeah that exact thing is what i want to avoid. i dont wanna get caught with my pants down like that (no offense, that really sucks :( )

Caganer posted:

just keep looking if you sincerely think it it's paying what you want. job searches take time.

(also i'm unemployed so you should probably treat anything i say as suspect)

they do take a long time. its otherwise pretty cool its just that there are other cool things that im also interested in and making decisions is hard :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Pollyanna, for reference I am 3 years older than you, also a trans woman, and I have 5 years experience that's probably a fair bit more in depth than what you've indicated you have and I'm only making 132k raw salary as a senior engineer at a major tech company. Your expectations are way out of whack for Boston if you are asking for 120k.

You should take the job so you can feed and house yourself while you look for a better job. Life is a series of steps up until you die, stop napping on the stoop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cis autodrag posted:

Pollyanna, for reference I am 3 years older than you, also a trans woman, and I have 5 years experience that's probably a fair bit more in depth than what you've indicated you have and I'm only making 132k raw salary as a senior engineer at a major tech company. Your expectations are way out of whack for Boston if you are asking for 120k.

You should take the job so you can feed and house yourself while you look for a better job. Life is a series of steps up until you die, stop napping on the stoop.

im learning as i go, i dont know this stuff all out the gate, and im adjusting my understanding as i go

i have no perspective, and most definitely no clue. if im wrong im wrong and i change

man i really hope i get to a point where i can do this all myself

i really appreciate the advice tho

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The good thing about job hunting is once you do accept an offer, you get to go to work everyday for the foreseeable future and get paid to do so.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

im learning as i go, i dont know this stuff all out the gate, and im adjusting my understanding as i go

i have no perspective, and most definitely no clue. if im wrong im wrong and i change

man i really hope i get to a point where i can do this all myself

i really appreciate the advice tho

Totally get that. I felt completely lost during my first big job search too. It's normal to be overwhelmed, but you're always going to be in a better position while employed, because you can always just walk away if you don't like an offer. Every day you're working is a day you're learning and building your resume.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cis autodrag posted:

Totally get that. I felt completely lost during my first big job search too. It's normal to be overwhelmed, but you're always going to be in a better position while employed, because you can always just walk away if you don't like an offer. Every day you're working is a day you're learning and building your resume.

i just feel like the last couple years havent really been doing much for me in the latter department. kind of like ive been stagnating :(

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you're stagnating on the job then it's a sign you should get a new job.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

This. That was on the list of reasons I left epic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

and i did! then it fell apart. but this one's a better one!

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
finally in six figgy club after getting a raise from exactly 99,999.99. which was one penny less then we agreed to but I decided not to fight it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

btw thanks YOSPOS, because the one question I kept asking people was 'Who sets milestones and what happens when it's looking like they aren't going to be hit' and that seemed to impress everyone I asked.
Writin this one down. Is it in the op or something - why you thanking the '¶0$

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Flat Daddy posted:

finally in six figgy club after getting a raise from exactly 99,999.99. which was one penny less then we agreed to but I decided not to fight it

was this actually a joke by your manager or something

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

lol well diggers make 6 figgies?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it’s not that 100k is actually a low income in the Bay Area

it’s that the housing market is so ridden with inefficiencies they are now building subsidized housing for families with 100k incomes.

lol forever at rent control and prop 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it’s not that 100k is actually a low income in the Bay Area

it’s that the housing market is so ridden with inefficiencies they are now building subsidized housing for families with 100k incomes.

lol forever at rent control and prop 13

Doesn't the bay area literally have googlers living in rvs, box trucks, and shanty walls erected around people's bath tubs because the housing prices are so out of whack?