Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Ze Pollack posted:

is there any mod that gives a plus three percent Hell Yeah We're Synths Now This Rules modifier to the materialist faction, because, i mean, c'mon, guys, you are literally living the dream right now

the pursuit of science means always asking new questions.

ANYWAY does anyone else obsessively make sure to create a predefined empire for each AI personality type, or is that just me? I'm like "drat that game was really cool but i can't play anymore stellaris until I make sure I have a harmonious collective around"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm slowly learning you should probably never look at what the AI empires are doing on their planets because now I'm asking do they never, ever build the unique capital-only buildings? I've looked at the capitals of pretty much every other AI empire and not a single one has the Research Institute, Galactic Stock Exchange, etc.. In fact, it looks like the Khanate still has primitive farms on their capital. Is it because they don't redevelop tiles? Terraforming also seems random on them. An AI empire spawned with the Survivor trait, and they eventually terraformed their homeworld which was presumably a Tomb World at one point. Great, except they have Alpine preference and terraformed it into a Savannah world.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm slowly learning you should probably never look at what the AI empires are doing on their planets because now I'm asking do they never, ever build the unique capital-only buildings? I've looked at the capitals of pretty much every other AI empire and not a single one has the Research Institute, Galactic Stock Exchange, etc..

Probably too busy spending their influence on claiming your systems.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Would it be possible given enough time and insanity to give up your original habitable worlds as vassals, free, declare on them, and then crack the planets to build ringworlds with?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I'm really digging marauders and pirates as a democracy. Every few years a pirate base will spawn and knock out a few of my stations before getting pasted by my honor guard. Or the marauders will run through and shitfuck a few systems before heading back home. Then I can move in construction ships and repair everything to fulfill my leader's mandate. This is actually excellent, because before there was literally never an option to complete those mandates short of blobbing out like an idiot or the very very occasional war that you didn't immediately win or lose wiping out a couple stations at the fringe of your empire before you destroyed them.

I don't know if this was intended behavior, but I absolutely hope it was, because it's actually completely awesome. It also is really nice from an engagement perspective because it gives you something to do instead of wait and watch numbers go up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When should we see this hot fix, and has anyone heard if it will fix purging pops?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I'm really digging marauders and pirates as a democracy. Every few years a pirate base will spawn and knock out a few of my stations before getting pasted by my honor guard. Or the marauders will run through and shitfuck a few systems before heading back home. Then I can move in construction ships and repair everything to fulfill my leader's mandate. This is actually excellent, because before there was literally never an option to complete those mandates short of blobbing out like an idiot or the very very occasional war that you didn't immediately win or lose wiping out a couple stations at the fringe of your empire before you destroyed them.

I don't know if this was intended behavior, but I absolutely hope it was, because it's actually completely awesome. It also is really nice from an engagement perspective because it gives you something to do instead of wait and watch numbers go up.

Couldn't you just dismantle a few stations and rebuild them...?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Shadowlyger posted:

Couldn't you just dismantle a few stations and rebuild them...?

See that seems like a sub-optimal situation to put the player in. Every election melt down 4 of your [station type] and get a benefit for some reason vs. get a benefit from the natural process of rebuilding after raids.

That's very similar to my post from before about how stupid it is that you have to melt down 20% of your fleet when you join a federation instead of just stamping the name of the federation on them and transferring them over. Just sending those ships to the federation makes in-world sense. Melting them down and building entirely new ones with the federation logo is absolute nonsense.

Edit: I mean you're technically right. When I say that there wasn't an option I meant there wasn't an option that made sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a bit daft that those mandates don't take into account your development of your space. I wish there were other ones than "build some stations"

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It is a bit daft that those mandates don't take into account your development of your space. I wish there were other ones than "build some stations"

I mean considering how they got war and ships and poo poo so so right with this patch I'm kind of hoping there'll be a similar patch in the future that does something with domestic empire management.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It'd be nice if it was a bit contextual. Lots of undeveloped space resources? Leader promises to build mining or research stations. Unclaimed land on the frontier? Leader promises to claim systems. Big rival nearby? Leader promises to build defensive platforms. That sort of thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Do claims ever expire? One of my vassals is still Hecking Mad because he has claims on a variety of my poo poo from before I subjugated him.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do claims ever expire? One of my vassals is still Hecking Mad because he has claims on a variety of my poo poo from before I subjugated him.

I believe claims can only be lost through war. There doesn't seem to be a time-based expiration. Humiliate war goal definitely makes the enemy give up any claims they have on your space.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ze Pollack posted:

okay this is a question based entirely on me being greedy BUT

i noticed that my influence game went to poo poo in my all robots game shortly after synthification. i looked into it. evidently now that we're all Synths here, my Fanatic Materialist faction no longer goes over the 60% happiness threshold for contributing influence to my empire. also there are not three empires on the field willing to trade tech with me

is there any mod that gives a plus three percent Hell Yeah We're Synths Now This Rules modifier to the materialist faction, because, i mean, c'mon, guys, you are literally living the dream right now

Do you have the Curator research bonus? That adds a good 5%. You’re definitely gonna want happy synths, since they loving love the Materialist faction. I ended up with 90% Materialists after uploading my empire, which made keeping my factions happy real easy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Looks like the Federation Fleet is still weird. It certainly gives no fucks about command limit, mine's at 782/200 and counting. Fleet capacity, looks like you can cheat it as before like queuing up a bunch of ships while it's near capacity. Nice way to have a huge amount of maintenance-free ships in a giant doomstack.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Has anyone else seen a bug where hyperlane pathing just straight up doesn't work during wars sometimes? Like systems in the empire you are at war with are suddenly unreachable for no particular reason.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Oldest Man posted:

Has anyone else seen a bug where hyperlane pathing just straight up doesn't work during wars sometimes? Like systems in the empire you are at war with are suddenly unreachable for no particular reason.

FTL Inhibitors?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Yup I've seen that and wasn't sure whether it's some sort of technology or a bug. Seems like a bug since it basically means there's no way of getting into enemy space.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Are you sure it's not just fortresses on planets preventing you from getting past them?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

WMain00 posted:

Yup I've seen that and wasn't sure whether it's some sort of technology or a bug. Seems like a bug since it basically means there's no way of getting into enemy space.

I suspect the new way FTL inhibitors work is causing this as stated:

Jabor posted:

FTL Inhibitors?

If a system has an FTL inhibitor on a planet, you can't leave that system except via the hyperlane you enter from unless you take the planet first. That could cause some systems to become unreachable unless you actually occupy worlds.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

Are you sure it's not just fortresses on planets preventing you from getting past them?

Positive. I was unable to reach an adjacent system when the system I was in was already cleared of everything in it.

Oh, planets have FTL inhibitors now. Gosh. I suppose the solution to that is to just blow the planet up...

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

Positive. I was unable to reach an adjacent system when the system I was in was already cleared of everything in it.

And you had occupied the planet?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh, planets have FTL inhibitors now. Gosh. I suppose the solution to that is to just blow the planet up...

Seconded. Guess I'll just need to fire up the planet cannon. Nothing else for it.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The Fortress system dream is real. Had a chokepoint system that leads to 3 others. Build up a Citadel that is nothing but guns and defensive platforms (with 50% range upgrade). Terraformed a 10-tile world so I can put down a shield generator and as much strongholds as I can. A fleet is stationed here permanently as well.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Look guys stormtroopers are cheap, death stars are expensive. Just land troops and take the fortress planets to disable the FTL inhibitors.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tomn posted:

Look guys stormtroopers are cheap, death stars are expensive. Just land troops and take the fortress planets to disable the FTL inhibitors.

The death star's a sunk cost, now we have to extract marginal value. The marginal value is measured in number of planets kerploded.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The War in Heaven kicked off, and... the Federation Victory screen popped up due to the league of non-aligned powers controlling enough planets to win :confuoot:

Think I'll still play this out it should be interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean considering how they got war and ships and poo poo so so right with this patch I'm kind of hoping there'll be a similar patch in the future that does something with domestic empire management.

Space President Ted Cruz runs on a platform that he will turn four of our delicious subject pops into food.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Azuth0667 posted:

Also does that 110% mean these things can never be hit?

OwlFancier posted:

A weapon's Tracking rating takes off Evasion from the enemy it's shot at, to determine their final accuracy modifier. So that will dodge the hell out of large guns but will still be hit some of the time by things like autocannons, especially if the ship uses tracking bonus modifiers.

Evasion is also capped at 90%.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Weissritter posted:

The Fortress system dream is real. Had a chokepoint system that leads to 3 others. Build up a Citadel that is nothing but guns and defensive platforms (with 50% range upgrade). Terraformed a 10-tile world so I can put down a shield generator and as much strongholds as I can. A fleet is stationed here permanently as well.

I've got all these cool chokepoints and no one will attack me :(

Playing pacifist so can't attack.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've got all these cool chokepoints and no one will attack me :(

Playing pacifist so can't attack.
How 2 pacifist, or, how I fixed my energy generation problem.
1) spawn right next to a fanatic purifier.
2) make friends with the militarist science buddy on the other side of them.
3) invest in the Supremacy tree.
3) gently caress up the FP. Seriously mess them up. Wreck those jerks right and proper.
4) white peace out with all your new energy and debris research.
5) leave a tiny farm full of angry bird men to continue clowning on every 10 years or so.
6) oh wait my pacifist pops are angry. All three of them. I'll deal with that later.
7) wait didn't I see something about a pulsar countdown somewhere OH poo poo

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 27, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huh. If you're fanatic xenophile and have the entry level diplomacy tradition it costs you literally no influence to do diplomacy, presumably because the two -50% discounts are stacking to 100%. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it was a pleasant surprise on my current run regardless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Staltran posted:

Evasion is also capped at 90%.

Is that before or after tracking modifiers? I would hope after.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I chose to vassalize an empire and at the end of the war it just straight up gave their only planet to me. Is this normal?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

So I chose to vassalize an empire and at the end of the war it just straight up gave their only planet to me. Is this normal?

If you have a claim on a system then it takes priority over the vassalisation demand. If you want to take them as a vassal but not their systems, you need to renounce your claims.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Aethernet posted:

If you have a claim on a system then it takes priority over the vassalisation demand. If you want to take them as a vassal but not their systems, you need to renounce your claims.

poo poo. That explains it then.

Also, what does increasing the claim number on a given system do? It's not like I can be more of an imperialistic dickhead, right?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Archonex posted:

poo poo. That explains it then.

Also, what does increasing the claim number on a given system do? It's not like I can be more of an imperialistic dickhead, right?

If both you and your ally have claims on a given system and the war ends with you occupying the system, it reverts to the control of whoever has the best claim.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

The War in Heaven kicked off, and... the Federation Victory screen popped up due to the league of non-aligned powers controlling enough planets to win :confuoot:

Think I'll still play this out it should be interesting.

War in Heaven seems a little less buggy than before, though there are still oddities. The main thing is that it seems to work as a standard war of conquest, any system you take, you keep (unless one of your war allies has a claim on it, in which case it goes to them, you have the planet for like a brief few days before it flips to whoever owns the starport), which is good.

However, the "ending" is was odd. Each time I destroyed one of the AEs, their allies became my vassals. Except they were still at war with me. So I was at war with my own vassals with the "War in Heaven" wargoal giving -1000 and pretty much unenforceable (I have no idea what it would do anyway). So I just status quo'd out and they remained my vassals after the war. Weird but not game-breaking.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Right, is there a new button I need to click to order my fleet to bombard a planet? used to be you could just click on the enemy world and they'd go bomb it. It's a world the space mongols have captured though, so I kinda think that because I'm not officially at war it's a bug.

Oh, if any of the Paradox guys read this, there's something screwy going on with the AI. One of my neighbours surrendered to the horde after getting trashed. I beat the horde back and toggled over to check on them since they weren't doing anything. For whatever reason two of their three constructors could not build anything, ever, even when I consoled in 10k of energy and minerals and influence. It just kept telling me there were no resources. The third constructor was working fine and I could send that to rebuild their stations with no issues. Only thing I could think of that was different was the two broken ones were sat in a system with a space mongol garrison fleet next to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Is that before or after tracking modifiers? I would hope after.

Before. You can see it if you click on the details button of a ship. Why would you want it to be after? That would be completely ridiculous. Consider that 110% evasion corvette and add a chosen one admiral, that would be completely insane. Corvettes might need a nerf, if anything. A huge buff to lategame corvettes sounds horrible.