Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xaris posted:

I installed this yesterday and could never look back. Highly recommend

The most important features imo are 8x8 inventory and added quick slots 6-8

Seriously why the gently caress do I need to play inventory manager and keep switching between repair tool or laser or propulsion or whatever? It’s so loving stupid and there’s no reason it should have been 1-5 to begin with. Also the bigger inventory feels just about right. Not quite too much and I still have to manage inventory a lot, but not so much I’m frustrated every 5 minutiae

I haven’t noticed the other vehicle changes other than fast Seamoth because I’m still in a derpy seamoth but it’s loving life changing at my point in the gam

Also super easy to install https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/11

this is pretty great

the only thing i dont like is the +50% forward speed to seamoth - should be more like +25% imo. but it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Related to that, what's the best growable plant for bioreactors? I just run mine off of bulbo baggins tree samples.

Lantern fruit trees (from the floating island) are pretty good. One plant gives lots of fruit, so you can fill the reactor easily without a huge garden or loving around with re-planting. Dunno about the energy density but i've never really struggled.

edit: looks like it's on the mid/low end for fruits, but it's really easy to just walk in the base, grab two off the tree and shove it in the reactor whenever you do a pit stop.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Bioreactor

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 27, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just filled one multipurpose room full of potatoes. They grew the fastest so they were the lazy choice. A full room of them is way more than enough to run a bioreactor and feed yourself. It doesn't matter that the food/water ratio isn't balanced, you can just eat more potatoes to make up for the lack of water! :fork:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a good thing this game is finally out of early access and is mostly free of serious bugs

:regd09:

VVV I've had the same exact thing happen to me and my computer is really good. Sometimes this game just loads terribly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 27, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wondering if he actually creates that poo poo because I run my poo poo on a potato and it doesn't work like that. I do not stream though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I had some strange, strange poo poo happen in the lava zones. The entire area forgot it was water; like I would get out of my Cyclops and fall to my death because I was 30m up and there was no water. (So it was a flying submarine I guess.)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I played for about 8 hours, got stuck trying to find magnetite and gave up. It seems they made it a lot harder to find. Back in beta it was all over the mountain island caves, but now it seems the place contains just diamond and gold. I also went around a few other biomes that the wiki lists as magnetite locations (jellyshroom caves, bulb zone, etc.) but didn't find a single node.

It doesn't help that they added several super annoying mobs to the game, like the ones that teleport you out of seamoth and hit you for a billion damage. Meh. Not sure what the point is when you can't fight back and kill stuff. Trying to avoid things becomes waaay too tedious as the game goes on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you need magnetite just go to the jelly caves. The small amount you can find anywhere else is piddling compared to what is there.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Supremely excited because I just finished my first all-stock Hardcore run. DYING NOT ALLOWED!

I guess the next step is loading mods and making fantastical seabases, which is absolutely a plan that I'm on board to see.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's something that makes no sense; the model for cured fish (and possibly other items?) stretches out if you repeatedly drop and pick it up.

I have no idea how a glitch like this can even occur.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, question, re the multipurpose room. When you get to a certain terminal in the aurora - which removes PDA corruption, i think its in the lab? - and gives you the repulsion cannon?

How hard would it be to make it unlock the MP room at the same time, too?

Its absolutely one of the should-have things, and makes it on a centrally unmistakable plot course, too, if you somehow skipped over it elsewhere.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

What are my options for gel sacks?

Is there a way for me to grow them so i dont have to go looking for them?

I have just unlocked my 500m seamoth upgrade, and have the rubies for the next level, but i still hate searchign for stuff that isnt in the safe shallows/mushroom forest.

I even built a base in the jellyshroom cave that i will probably never use because my prawn suit is over at the mushroom forest (unless i build another one and a moonpool............ but then i need a cyclops to get my mats............ fu.... can i get acyclops into the caves?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Meskhenet posted:

I have just unlocked my 500m seamoth upgrade, and have the rubies for the next level, but i still hate searchign for stuff that isnt in the safe shallows/mushroom forest.

I even built a base in the jellyshroom cave that i will probably never use because my prawn suit is over at the mushroom forest (unless i build another one and a moonpool............ but then i need a cyclops to get my mats............ fu.... can i get acyclops into the caves?

Plant a gel sack in a growbed, knife gel sack for seeds, plant those seeds.

As long as you remember to not use your last gel sack in a recipe, you pretty much have an infinite supply of them.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

Just use your knife on a gel sack for some seeds and plant them in an exterior grow bed back at your base.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Asciana posted:

Just use your knife on a gel sack for some seeds and plant them in an exterior grow bed back at your base.

Away all Goats posted:

Plant a gel sack in a growbed, knife gel sack for seeds, plant those seeds.

As long as you remember to not use your last gel sack in a recipe, you pretty much have an infinite supply of them.

Cool i thought so. Ive got one planted now, ill knife it tomorrow.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grognan posted:

wondering if he actually creates that poo poo because I run my poo poo on a potato and it doesn't work like that. I do not stream though.

Vinny is cursed and games bug out on him constantly, it's pretty impressive.

I've had it happen to me once or twice but I got lucky and a save and restart fixed it.

Ciaphas posted:

I had some strange, strange poo poo happen in the lava zones. The entire area forgot it was water; like I would get out of my Cyclops and fall to my death because I was 30m up and there was no water. (So it was a flying submarine I guess.)

I'm starting to think the lava zone is hosed up somehow because my game ran totally fine until I went down there the first time; after that any time I had been there in session my game would act weird or break.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grognan posted:

There's a joke that Vinny spends so much time glitching games on purpose that it has become his passive ability even when playing games he just wants to play legit because stuff fucks up on stream for him a lot. I don't think he does it on purpose and it's more because he spends a lot of time playing poo poo of questionable quality like Skyrim and Subnautica.

edit: His recent Skyrim streams are on the Switch version and stuff is constantly fucky even though there's no easy way to hack Switch poo poo yet

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 27, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
drat, building at 900 depth is no joke, I installed a water filter, and immediately all my walls started imploding on me :whitewater: Thankfully there was a lithium deposit like, literally right below my base, so I was able to poo poo out reinforcements without any effort.

Something I've been noticing is when I mine out a large deposit, I think a little bit of it remains just barely under the map. This wouldn't be an issue, but it still pings on my scanner room, and now I have three titanium signals that I've already mined out as much as possible.

Also I figured as much, but drat Leviathans have a bunch of health. I decided to get real spicy and grappled onto the ghost jerk in the lost river, but I ended up dying of thirst before drilling him to death. I haven't seen him for a while so he seems to have gotten the message, but now I'm worried he'll be out for revenge :ohdear:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Danaru posted:

drat, building at 900 depth is no joke, I installed a water filter, and immediately all my walls started imploding on me :whitewater: Thankfully there was a lithium deposit like, literally right below my base, so I was able to poo poo out reinforcements without any effort.

Something I've been noticing is when I mine out a large deposit, I think a little bit of it remains just barely under the map. This wouldn't be an issue, but it still pings on my scanner room, and now I have three titanium signals that I've already mined out as much as possible.

Also I figured as much, but drat Leviathans have a bunch of health. I decided to get real spicy and grappled onto the ghost jerk in the lost river, but I ended up dying of thirst before drilling him to death. I haven't seen him for a while so he seems to have gotten the message, but now I'm worried he'll be out for revenge :ohdear:

As far as i can tell the drill is not even close to as strong as just the punchfist

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sloober posted:

As far as i can tell the drill is not even close to as strong as just the punchfist

:( Lame

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Last night I decided to take my Prawn (with no jump jet enhancement and one grappling hook) down to the Degasi base in the Grand Reef. I couldn't find my way back out because the warpers and crabsquids there were loving with me and the suit and I got messed up, even while using that external map viewer. I ended up moving east to west through the Lost River, hugging the wall so the ghost leviathan there didn't take an interest in me, before I managed to find an exit to the blood kelp (?) region on the west side of the map. That was a heck of a journey :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I appreciate the idea but I would much rather have a secondary mode that's "water/food/o2 but no health" than the current "health/o2 but no food/water" mode. Or at least some sort of dedicated weapon. I just got the 300m Seamoth upgrade so I'm not too far in, but aside from the Reaper that caught me once, all the other damage-dealing stuff I've encountered has been way more annoying and tedious than actually challenging or fun. From the last page or 2 of posts it sounds like that continues all the way til the end, too.

Also can we talk about the out-of-water physics in this game :gonk:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
These Peepers always look at me funny before I shove them into the replicator. Its making me feel kind of guilty. I am hoping there is some twist ending, like I escape the planet but it turns out the Peepers are sentient lifeforms and I am being charged in Federation court for genocide.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Reginalds are a superior food source anyways.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sloober posted:

The drill does have a bit of tracking that the fist lacks however, making it more useful against moving targets.

On the other hand it'll happily try to drill the cuddlefish. :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really need to get an alien containment and start breeding Reginalds. I also need to track down two more chunks of nuclear reactor. As great as these thermals are, I'm practically drowning in uraninite

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I find it hard to eat a fish with a name as cute as "Reginald"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Danaru posted:

I really need to get an alien containment and start breeding Reginalds. I also need to track down two more chunks of nuclear reactor. As great as these thermals are, I'm practically drowning in uraninite

reminder that a uranium rod also requires 3 units of lead and some glass in addition to 3 uraninite. It's a bit of a pain fabricating them.

It's a bit BS that I needed to build a cylops just to get a component for a certain endgame recipe. Made it all the way through in a prawn/seamoth/seaglide, and now for a single component I need to build an entire new vehicle.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 27, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I only ever built a single nuclear reactor before going back to Bioreactors because they're much cheaper and infinitely sustainable with a single grow bed/containment.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had three bioreactors that I had to keep juggling full of potatoes on my previous base, and I hadn't even gone FULL hubris yet. I need lots of juice for my big idiot-tower :colbert:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

enraged_camel posted:

I played for about 8 hours, got stuck trying to find magnetite and gave up.

There are areas where it is very common. You just have to know where to go.

On my first play through. Finally got the prawn suit and my Cyclops can now go to 1300 meters so im doing some upgrading so i can get the mk 3 Cyclops depth. Onto the lava caves!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rutibex posted:

These Peepers always look at me funny before I shove them into the replicator. Its making me feel kind of guilty. I am hoping there is some twist ending, like I escape the planet but it turns out the Peepers are sentient lifeforms and I am being charged in Federation court for genocide.

Uhh, have you gotten to the endgame yet?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Uhh, have you gotten to the endgame yet?

I don't even know what the "end game" is. I've discovered a bunch of pods and other places (two land islands). I found a few dark secrets, but I am assuming this game gets even darker. Just a hunch. I only have the Seamoth right now at 300m depth, I haven't been able to build the mechsuit or big sub yet. I don't have the blueprints for the big sub, and I am currently looking for gels to make the mech suit.

Am I close to the end game? :shrug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PantsBandit posted:

I find it hard to eat a fish with a name as cute as "Reginald"

You just have to tell yourself they're really posh and stuck up. Imagine them in a little top hat.

Except that only makes them cuter.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Eat the rich (fish)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I don't even know what the "end game" is. I've discovered a bunch of pods and other places (two land islands). I found a few dark secrets, but I am assuming this game gets even darker. Just a hunch. I only have the Seamoth right now at 300m depth, I haven't been able to build the mechsuit or big sub yet. I don't have the blueprints for the big sub, and I am currently looking for gels to make the mech suit.

Am I close to the end game? :shrug:

Okay, you're not even close to what I'm referencing so I won't spoil anything, but keep those Peepers in mind as you progress through the story.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, you're not even close to what I'm referencing so I won't spoil anything, but keep those Peepers in mind as you progress through the story.

you only find that info through scans/finding data in the world right? I mean there is no radio message or computer monologue that I've missed?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

TheParadigm posted:

Its absolutely one of the should-have things, and makes it on a centrally unmistakable plot course, too, if you somehow skipped over it elsewhere.

It's already available at several plot points.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

double nine posted:

you only find that info through scans/finding data in the world right? I mean there is no radio message or computer monologue that I've missed?

I.... think the AI has a line about it when you enter the water cycling place, but I don't recall anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Related to that, what's the best growable plant for bioreactors? I just run mine off of bulbo baggins tree samples.

For my scanner bases I just use a growbed of melons. Since the bases only consist of a moon pool, scanner room and a multipurpose room & bioreactor, with battery and power cell chargers, the power needs are usually minimal. Toss in a few melons to stock it up, scoff down whatever I need and reseed as needed. Quick, easy and relatively simple to construct.

My main base at Lifepod 5 has a bunch of thermal generators and solar panels so I don't bother with bioreactors there, and the base I'm planning for the Lost River will be nuclear and thermal.