Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KoRMaK posted:

Yea I plugged my salary here into one of those cost of living calcs and it easily doubled it for San Jose area at like $190k.

I... I have no idea how realistic that is for me to get out there where it seems like an intern makes $90k.

when you move across the country, your salary will never, ever rise as fast as CoL does

this is like, microeconomics 101. literally. my first micro-economics course in college went into considerable detail about the math of utility curves and cost of living adjustments

people move to higher-cost areas, get paid a little bit more, and make different consumption choices in response to the changing circumstances. e.g. live in a smaller home with cooler stuff, go to fancier restaurants more often, etc

your total consumption still rises despite the unfavorable change in CoL-to-salary ratio because your basket of purchased goods changes. your basket changes because the relative costs are different -- suddenly a high end stereo looks really cheap, but having a walk-in closet is a tremendous luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

Doesn't the bay area literally have googlers living in rvs, box trucks, and shanty walls erected around people's bath tubs because the housing prices are so out of whack?

that is because fresh out of college googlers are dumber than waxed dogshit, not out of necessity

(paying off your college loans early is not an emergency that justifies living in a van)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is because fresh out of college googlers are dumber than waxed dogshit, not out of necessity

(paying off your college loans early is not an emergency that justifies living in a van)

I dunno, my budget would be significantly easier without those loans. If I didn't have a family I might consider the spartan lifestyle for a couple years to make things easier after that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well education is one of two acceptable things to borrow money for, and the fact that you're paying the loans off puts you way ahead of many graduates

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i aggressively paid off my loans as soon as i got the chance because they were crushing me when i was broke. perhaps i could have invested the money and done a little better in the long run but i don't regret just getting it over with at all.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When I got my degree ten years ago in the UK tuition was only £3k/year, even if you went to Oxbridge. So if you did 4 years you leave uni with a total of £28k ish in debt (also factoring in maintenance loans) with 0.9% interest. Now I hear it's roughly £70k at 6.1% interest lol. Sucks to be a centennial. But paying off that kind of loan aggressively is single handedly the best investment decision you can ever make.

qhat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 27, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i thankfully dont have any student debt cause i had a scholarship

and it really really helps

doesnt make this world not a capitalistic hellscape tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

When I got my degree ten years ago in the UK tuition was only £3k/year, even if you went to Oxbridge. So if you did 4 years you leave uni with a total of £28k ish in debt (also factoring in maintenance loans) with 0.9% interest. Now I hear it's roughly £70k at 6.1% interest lol. Sucks to be a centennial. But paying off that kind of loan aggressively is single handedly the best investment decision you can ever make.

Be glad you were born in a civilized country sir.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one of my student loans was 8% interest. pretty bad

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My country still provides free tuition (public schools only obv) but shitheads are making waves and trying to make it paid. Luckily so far people see it as the stupid idea it is.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

My student loans (totalling 5k if translated to freedom money) has 1% interest. If the Danish central bank lowers their interest further it'll go below. It might be zero.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Xarn posted:

My country still provides free tuition (public schools only obv) but shitheads are making waves and trying to make it paid. Luckily so far people see it as the stupid idea it is.

same here, hail liberalism

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Pollyanna posted:

i sent a counter offer at 120k, watch me squander this opportunity lol

Whoa whoa where are you commanding these warlord wages?

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I'm ranked #2 in my sales job for YTD out of 100 and besides a referral to two different cruise companies I have no idea what I'm doing. My goal is to move my base up by $15K but I assume I just put some of this out on LinkedIn and the emails come in?

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

havent heard a peep posted:

I'm ranked #2 in my sales job for YTD out of 100 and besides a referral to two different cruise companies I have no idea what I'm doing. My goal is to move my base up by $15K but I assume I just put some of this out on LinkedIn and the emails come in?

Tell me about uhh, sex tours. They're bad of course and I don't think they should be uhhhhh... yo just tell me about them. loving tell me u oval office tell me now

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Note to mods: above post is not serious. note to "havent heard a peep": yo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qhat posted:

interest on student loans is still like 1% in scotland, thanks to free tuition i thnink ive only got like 3k in debt left, should be done this year

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Valeyard posted:

interest on student loans is still like 1% in scotland, thanks to free tuition i thnink ive only got like 3k in debt left, should be done this year
yeah its p great

the salary scale is very different than bay area but base benefits outweigh it imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

havent heard a peep posted:

Whoa whoa where are you commanding these warlord wages?

I hosed up lol

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

I hosed up lol

Maybe you should go into devops? I didn’t know dev pay was that low. I make 10k more in a lower CoL east coast city and have anecdotally heard that the common Boston salary for SREs/Devops was 140k+.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

freeasinbeer posted:

Maybe you should go into devops? I didn’t know dev pay was that low. I make 10k more in a lower CoL east coast city and have anecdotally heard that the common Boston salary for SREs/Devops was 140k+.

that's the upper end of the range for base salary at not-big-5 but yeah i can confirm that's pretty reasonable for sre work in boston

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

freeasinbeer posted:

I’ve considered SRE but I have no experience in it

and is the pay truly that low? keep in mind that I don’t have much experience and I also don’t have other offers to bounce it off of, and my attempt at bumping it up was rebuffed. I dont think more than 100k is achievable at this company, but im not sure whether to keep looking or take it due to the whole unemployment thing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
take the loving job you goddamn idiot

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's funny how pollyanna keeps taking every opportunity to rationalize not taking the job while the entire thread is just screaming to TAKE THE JOB

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
mods namechange Pollyanna to TAKE THE JOB POLLYANNA

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

goon in a well

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

TimWinter posted:

Hey Penisface, what languages can you write in? If I know any of them PM me and we can do a mock interview if you'd like.

HR needs to CYA pretty hard, you want interviewees to walk away thinking A) if the company says yes tomorrow or in six months, it would be a good offer to take and B) any of my friends thinking of applying for a job at the company should do so, especially the good ones.

That means you can't burn bridges with blunt or curt feedback. Not with me though, mother fucker!

Hey thanks for the offer, I am mostly Python/Java, but it seems now my interviewing processes are done for this time around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

my Apple phone screen last night seemed to go pretty well, but they repeatedly asked if I had anything more recent I could publish on my GitHub. unfortunately all of my recent projects are class assignments (that they reuse) and they turbofuck you if you post them on public repos. after this semester I'll have a few independent mini-research projects that I can publish, but it's a bit of a bummer in the meantime.

I asked them if they have a specific reviewer on the team I'm interviewing for I can add them to my private repos to take a look, but we'll see

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I hosed up lol

take the job pollyanna

i am also taking the job, and all that self doubt stuff and i am not bothering to quote whatevers you have gone through in this thread, but i have thought these exact same thoughts and in the end i just figured it does not matter:
1) even if the job sucks, you will both get some practical skills, experience and money while you continue looking
2) if the job doesn't suck, profit!

dont worry about not being skilled enough for the job, that's the company's responsibility to hire people who can do the job, you just do your best

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

took the job and if they want me to work long hours i will do long hours but i will accomplish as much poo poo as i can during that time

gently caress being a useless piece of poo poo im sick of it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

my Apple phone screen last night seemed to go pretty well, but they repeatedly asked if I had anything more recent I could publish on my GitHub. unfortunately all of my recent projects are class assignments (that they reuse) and they turbofuck you if you post them on public repos. after this semester I'll have a few independent mini-research projects that I can publish, but it's a bit of a bummer in the meantime.

I asked them if they have a specific reviewer on the team I'm interviewing for I can add them to my private repos to take a look, but we'll see

how can they gently caress you for posting stuff on github? assuming you’re not a student of course

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

how can they gently caress you for posting stuff on github? assuming you’re not a student of course
I’m a grad student

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I’m a grad student

you still own the copyright to code you've written. if you're willing to rock the boat and leave with a ms you can probably push back on this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress u got job gently caress u will kick rear end at job gently caress u

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Caganer posted:

you still own the copyright to code you've written. if you're willing to rock the boat and leave with a ms you can probably push back on this.

not always the case anymore, you need to read the fine print on the enrollment papers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ok so here's the thing: i get that i am not at the point where my skills are particularly good. in fact i suck. so i decided to challenge myself and tackle new and interesting problems. hence the startup job

the >40 hour week thing is a pain in the rear end but ultimately i am willing to deal with it in exchange for Not Being Useless as long as it doesnt get too bad, and plan to push back if it does

most advice people can give me does not apply in my case so just let me do my thing ok?

let me do my drat job

thxu for having me

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

ok so here's the thing: i get that i am not at the point where my skills are particularly good. in fact i suck. so i decided to challenge myself and tackle new and interesting problems. hence the startup job

the >40 hour week thing is a pain in the rear end but ultimately i am willing to deal with it in exchange for Not Being Useless as long as it doesnt get too bad, and plan to push back if it does

most advice people can give me does not apply in my case so just let me do my thing ok?

let me do my drat job

thxu for having me

Actually, most of the advice does apply, since you are currently doing everything as advised. Congratulations.

And yeah the more senior the job you apply for, the more they're going to look for strong and solid achievements in the workplace, rather than "programmed software for clients". Specifically look for things you can spearhead and be prepared for push back from idiots who never thought of your ideas before you came.

qhat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 27, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

Actually, most of the advice does apply, since you are currently doing everything as advised. Congratulations.

well, true

but still

im sick of being useless and getting poo poo rightfully dumped on me makes me realize that ive really let myself go

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

well, true

but still

im sick of being useless and getting poo poo rightfully dumped on me makes me realize that ive really let myself go

The more senior the job you go for, the more they are going to be looking for strong and quantifiable achievements in your previous jobs, rather than "programmed software in Windows". Look for important things you can personally spearhead and claim, and be prepared for push back because you're making everyone else look bad for not coming up with the ideas before you got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

spearhead and claim poo poo instead of being passive, gotcha

resume-driven development :v:

other advice for taking my career seriously? aside from "do your job well"