Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's a shame that no one has made a Skaven/ratmen portrait pack yet. Really want to make a Skaven fanatic purifier empire set to using the pirate graphical culture for their ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hah, just had pirates spawn in year 11 who immediately attacked a pod of space whales... which wiped them out.

Space whales are the best.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Hah, just had pirates spawn in year 11 who immediately attacked a pod of space whales... which wiped them out.

Domesticated space whales now!

For xenophobes, who get a food bonus and a special starbase whale pen building.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GotLag posted:

I'm actually growing very fond of all the random monsters that just sit around in systems, too. They stop pirates from spawning and raiders often bumble into them and get wiped or at least severely damaged. They're great little pets

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 27, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Staltran posted:

Before. You can see it if you click on the details button of a ship. Why would you want it to be after? That would be completely ridiculous. Consider that 110% evasion corvette and add a chosen one admiral, that would be completely insane. Corvettes might need a nerf, if anything. A huge buff to lategame corvettes sounds horrible.

I was meaning 90% evasion as the max final evasion chance, I think if you really go all out on stacking evasion and build your entire civ around it to that point, you're allowed to get a pretty crazy modifier.

90% before means they're going to cap out fairly early with the new afterburners and computers and you're never going to get very good dodge rates on a lot of weapons. I'd rather just get lategame weapons with better tracking than cap out how good they can do against quite a lot of weapons early on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I feel like the "standard" map size is way too large to be the default. It's like playing EU4 but everyone is twice the size of Russia.

Obviously I can just start a new game on a tiny map or whatever, but I think a lot of new players probably grind to a halt on the giant "standard" map.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The Assassination Of The Fix To Forced Status Quo By The Coward Martin Anward

Wiz, on the Paradox forums, posted:

We're not making this change in the hot-fix. It will be part of a larger post-update patch addressing balance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

I was meaning 90% evasion as the max final evasion chance, I think if you really go all out on stacking evasion and build your entire civ around it to that point, you're allowed to get a pretty crazy modifier.

90% before means they're going to cap out fairly early with the new afterburners and computers and you're never going to get very good dodge rates on a lot of weapons. I'd rather just get lategame weapons with better tracking than cap out how good they can do against quite a lot of weapons early on.
Think of it as freeing up your late game auxiliary slots!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
How many titans can I build, and where do I go to see that? I thought it would be one per star base capable of building a titan, but that doesn't seem to be the case (I have 4 star bases that can build titans but it only let me build 3)?

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Weissritter posted:

The Fortress system dream is real. Had a chokepoint system that leads to 3 others. Build up a Citadel that is nothing but guns and defensive platforms (with 50% range upgrade). Terraformed a 10-tile world so I can put down a shield generator and as much strongholds as I can. A fleet is stationed here permanently as well.

I now have big plans for that size 10 planet sitting on one of my bastion chokepoints!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I thought the fix was that you aren't forced to accept surrender and instead you just freeze your unity and influence gains at 100% war exhaustion?

I would love to know how Determined Exterminators, Hive Minds, or Fanatical Purifiers even get war exhaustion. Especially when they're winning. The whole system is a complete mess and seemingly fails to take into account some really basic things like who is winning. Given how long the game has been out I personally find this lack of polish to be really difficult to justify.

It's a shame because the update as a whole is really good.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ulmont posted:

How many titans can I build, and where do I go to see that? I thought it would be one per star base capable of building a titan, but that doesn't seem to be the case (I have 4 star bases that can build titans but it only let me build 3)?

You can only build 3 total. It should say "Our empire can only support 3 Titans" when you mouse over the build button, IIRC

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given how long the game has been out I personally find this lack of polish to be really difficult to justify.

Agreed, I didn't mind when this game first came out but the staggering amount of bugs that they reverted in this version blows my mind. It's like they forked the Cherryh code off of Stellaris 1.0 and undid all the bug fixing they have ever done.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 27, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would love to know how Determined Exterminators, Hive Minds, or Fanatical Purifiers even get war exhaustion. Especially when they're winning. The whole system is a complete mess and seemingly fails to take into account some really basic things like who is winning. Given how long the game has been out--

Uh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So here's what I mean. I can't get any more warscore other than taking planets which in the new system takes loving ages and I have to build loads and loads and loads of armies.
So what can I do?

https://imgur.com/a/lQeiw

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought the fix was that you aren't forced to accept surrender and instead you just freeze your unity and influence gains at 100% war exhaustion?

I would love to know how Determined Exterminators, Hive Minds, or Fanatical Purifiers even get war exhaustion. Especially when they're winning. The whole system is a complete mess and seemingly fails to take into account some really basic things like who is winning. Given how long the game has been out I personally find this lack of polish to be really difficult to justify.

It literally doesn't matter because realism is subordinate to gameplay. The design function of war exhaustion is to prevent every war from being a fight to the death. It's up to the players to rationalize it how they want in this highly unrealistic game about the impossible pipedream of faster than light travel.

The only real problem I have with war exhaustion isn't even war exhaustion itself, but rather AI acceptance. It would be helpful if you could negotiate separate peaces when fighting people in defensive pacts, because fighting multiple people tends to make it real hard to forced a surrender in, for example, wars of vassalization. The AI acceptance values are wonky, the war weariness itself is mostly fine.

It would probably help if acceptance ticked up when you've occupied Literally All Their poo poo or even most of their poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm not getting where the taking planets takes ages thing is coming from. Bomb the planet for a bit to take out the non-fortress armies, dump width + buffer armies on it, wait, move on.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'm not getting where the taking planets takes ages thing is coming from. Bomb the planet for a bit to take out the non-fortress armies, dump width + buffer armies on it, wait, move on.

Get to planet, armies have 1000 strength.
Bombard for 10 months, armies have 980 strength.
And I'm used to just carting around one army of like 12 units and never making any others unless they die. It doesn't feel like you can do that any more and I'm annoyed because the armies stuff is the absolute worst part of the game. Make systems count for occupation!

It's probably down to being a pacifist.

In fact I think I'm done with my pacifist game. I enjoyed them when you went to war to liberate and save populations but now you can't even do that! I'm just sat around doing nothing because I can't participate in anything.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So after playing through a bit of a game as the Commonwealth of Man (which I'll probably still continue), I went back and continued tweaking my list of custom empires, also culled a few that I didn't like. Currently these are the ones I like and am going to keep, I think. I use some custom portraits, they're easy to get to work if you just grab the grapgical assets from the mods they're in, I prefer putting them in the existing species classes rather than the custom ones the mods usually put them in, these Halo ones I found are pretty decent I think (it's also a universe I don't know or care too much about, so I am not as prone to just straight up making them the race from that universe as I would be with Mass Effect and such).

I haven't yet written up descriptions of any of these empires, though I might do that when I have a full roster for a huge map game, and am happy with the selection. I've also listed each of their AI personalities.

Slaving Despots

Spiritual Seekers

Fanatical Purifiers

Hegemonic Imperialists

Hive Mind

Peaceful Traders

Federation Builders

Honorbound Warriors

Erudite Explorers

So that's 9 empires. I also really like the loading screen alien portraits, and kind of like the setup the Voor Technocracy has, though I may tweak them a bit as currently they get the Slaving Despots personality, and I feel that doesn't quite fit, and I don't really want more slaving despots (I feel like hegemonic imperialists would fit them more). Anyway that means I am 5 or 6 empires short of a full roster. Anyone here have any suggestions to help me fill this one out? Thinking interesting and cool matchups between portraits, civics, traits and the like (and cool flag designs), and filling out the remaining AI personalities. Also, I had a machine empire, of the exterminator kind, but ultimately decided I didn't quite care for them, so I am also missing a machine empire to add to this.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 27, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gadzuko posted:

You can only build 3 total. It should say "Our empire can only support 3 Titans" when you mouse over the build button, IIRC

Got it. This is not obvious if you build through the fleet manager.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

Think of it as freeing up your late game auxiliary slots!

Ehhh I can't really think what else I'd put on a corvette than afterburners though, I want them as fast as possible still so they can serve as a QRF.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Taear posted:

So here's what I mean. I can't get any more warscore other than taking planets which in the new system takes loving ages and I have to build loads and loads and loads of armies.
So what can I do?

https://imgur.com/a/lQeiw

Part of it: have armies built before you go to war, and invest in army tech
(I do agree the score requirements are on a high side).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man i started over as i usually do almost daily when i play and i have had just the worst luck with scientists. In my first 5 years of this game i've churned through 5 of them - all of them bit it to events they had fair shots at doing. I don't mind *tremendously* now that they cost energy instead of influence but i'm pretty sure my empire just has a diploma mill that hands them out to randos and say "HERE YOU ARE SCIENTIST NOW, GO FORTH"

On the one hand it's funny that being a scientist is the equivalent of a red shirt in my science-focused wanna-be robot people, but on the other it is inconvenient as poo poo not being able to gain experience levels on them. I have a dozen anomalies i can't do because they have a laughable chance at completing them

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would love to know how Determined Exterminators, Hive Minds, or Fanatical Purifiers even get war exhaustion.

These empires still have logistical needs that would be exhausted by protracted war

quote:

Especially when they're winning.

Arguably winning a space war is more expensive then losing one, since you have to extend your supply chain ever further, not to mention handle the new planets you are occupying.

quote:

The whole system is a complete mess and seemingly fails to take into account some really basic things like who is winning.

That's not an oversight, its the intention, the whole point is that wars shouldn't be all or nothing.

quote:

Given how long the game has been out I personally find this lack of polish to be really difficult to justify.

I mean you can argue that the system has been poorly named/explained but I don't think you can really finger waggle about lack of polish on an update that fronted itself as changing a huge amount of the base systems of the game, and so would naturally have good changes and bad changes and changes it would take people time to get use to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does war exhaustion persist at all after wars, or does Plantwar III not connect to Bugwar V in the public consciousness?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nothing as bad as ck2 vassals hating you forever because you dared to raise levies for the length of one siege ten years before

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Conot posted:

Arguably winning a space war is more expensive then losing one, since you have to extend your supply chain ever further, not to mention handle the new planets you are occupying.

There's a whole Legends of Galactic Heroes plotline centered around this.

Splicer posted:

Does war exhaustion persist at all after wars, or does Plantwar III not connect to Bugwar V in the public consciousness?

Apparently it does not persist, no.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Don't bomb worlds, drown them in clones. They're cheap, quick to build, and losing them doesn't seem to offer a big WE hit. Stronger armies are better if you build them in advance, but if you haven't, fire up the vats.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Part of it: have armies built before you go to war, and invest in army tech
(I do agree the score requirements are on a high side).

Rubbish. Man I hate the army system so much.

On the plus side I just started a new game as my Scientist Slug race and I've got a 21 and 23 ocean world in the same system right next to me. A departure from barely having a thing near me last game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Rubbish. Man I hate the army system so much.

It used to be worse - at least it's more engaging now. But the fleet manager has badly exposed the lack of an equivalent for armies, and the fact that I can't just click a button to send an army to a particular rally point (i.e. a fleet I want it to follow consistently) is not positive. Hopefully that'll be wrapped up in subsequent patches.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Aethernet posted:

Don't bomb worlds, drown them in clones. They're cheap, quick to build, and losing them doesn't seem to offer a big WE hit. Stronger armies are better if you build them in advance, but if you haven't, fire up the vats.

Theyve altered the balance. I was going over it and it looked like my Battle Thrall Slave Armies were actually less efficient for recruitment time than Psionic Armies. Casualties for hordeing are immense owing to combat width.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Systems with multiple habitable planets seem much more common now, but vast stretches of empty, worthless space seem to show up just as often so that planets are jammed into tight pockets. Not as irritation as before when only colonies, pops and Starbase grew your borders but still annoying when you have to claim huge amounts of space you don't want because you'll be drowning in pirates otherwise.

I'm interested to see what this week's diary will cover, what the team has planned for the future and what kind of valancing/corrections they have in mind. I think I may put this down until then... at least HOI4s next expansion come out in a week. Then I can focus on bitching about that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

You don't necessarily have to take control of all that space. Chokepoint control is enough so long as there's a starbase to destroy the pirate fleets; a fleet can destroy the base at your leisure.

Sometimes the pirates really like spawning in the same place over and over again which makes it easy to fortify.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Do you actually drown in pirates? Last game I played they always seem to prefer the same one system pocket, and parking my main fleet next to it solved pirates.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Is there a way to view the claims other empires have on you besides having a notepad handy when the initial notification comes in? I swear I've looked everywhere and haven't found one, and it'd be really nice to know what systems I should be fortifying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It looks like pirates are weighted based on how surrounded a territory is. An single system donut hole will frequently spawn pirates, as will a buffer system between two empires.

It'd be good if the game tracked where pirates were spawning and you got some new dialogue if they spawned in the same space too many times.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah I never really had a problem with pirates, they seem to only spawn in the same system until that one is occupied, with a heavy preference for one tile pockets. Can be kinda annoying early game, but they quickly become fleet fodder. Maybe even add a tag to heavily reduce the mtth on their spawns (or greatly increase their power) either at a late game date or a certain tech threshhold, as is they just become more busy micro.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Both maybe? Have them get bigger but more infrequent as time goes on.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Aethernet posted:

It used to be worse - at least it's more engaging now. But the fleet manager has badly exposed the lack of an equivalent for armies, and the fact that I can't just click a button to send an army to a particular rally point (i.e. a fleet I want it to follow consistently) is not positive. Hopefully that'll be wrapped up in subsequent patches.

Yeah I'm very disappointed they didn't make an army manager for 2.0. I was fighting a very strong resilient enemy early on in my current game and arranging for countless armies to be sent to their bloody end was a real pain in the rear end.

Speaking of UI concerns, the expansion planner screen badly needs a bit of a reworking. It was always pretty funky especially with the way robots would throw off the habitability sorter but now it's worse with some of the 2.0 changes. Choosing what planet to colonize from is a mess when you have a big empire and also feels really unnecessary now. Instead, it should give you a list of species to use to colonize and when you select one it will automatically build a colony ship from the nearest planet with the selected species. Or at the very minimum it should let you sort the colonize from screen by distance to the target.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Conot posted:

That's not an oversight, its the intention, the whole point is that wars shouldn't be all or nothing.

Subjugation wars and impose ideology wars are all or nothing though, and that’s probably the most frustrating part of the new system. Limited territorial wars with war exhaustion as a timer I can absolutely get behind and think is a good change. But having that same timer in a war that is all or nothing suddenly feels maddening. I’d propose in those sorts of wars that either a status quo peace should split the controlled systems off, or grant victory to one side if they control the other’s capital. I think the latter is better because it’s less crippling for the loser to keep their territorial integrity and lose independence than remain free but lose half your empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

My new game as barbaric despoiler elves had me start inside a nebula with so far 3 colonizable worlds, two decent size and one of those is mineral rich plus a wormhole. I wish you could rename nebulas because this is great.