Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I don't like how AA hasn't really revisited MMT after the vig other than to say

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I've eased on MMT without how the Vig on Quid played out, but it raises more questions me regarding both of these players, and something that I'll also need to read more info.

When before the shot on Quid AA was saying that MMT was the scummiest scum that ever scummed.

That's pretty scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dead Cow posted:

I don't like how AA hasn't really revisited MMT after the vig other than to say

When before the shot on Quid AA was saying that MMT was the scummiest scum that ever scummed.

That's pretty scummy.

I like my vote.

A day action happens that makes it highly improbable that someone's scum pick is scum, and you find it scummy that they change their mind?

No votes, lots of white noise and bad opinions. Dead Cow here is a scumbo.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

That I don’t believe because we have like 3-4 claimed PRs and if what Lumpen is saying is true, that’s essential 3-4 active cops + whatever it is that MMT did and that’s not balanced at all.

ill say i wasnt really paying attention to what was happening re: merk's post restriction but how are the post restrictions cops? i remember merk saying that he gained the post restriction on n0 so im assuming that has something to do with that but im a little lost as to why a post restriction would make somebody a cop

this game is rough

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

ill say i wasnt really paying attention to what was happening re: merk's post restriction but how are the post restrictions cops? i remember merk saying that he gained the post restriction on n0 so im assuming that has something to do with that but im a little lost as to why a post restriction would make somebody a cop

this game is rough

It's based on the assumption that whatever was used on merk and (bread?) would only affect hosts.

You can decide if that's a good or bad assumption.

MMT's brutal daycop is the most believable of the claims, as it happened in thread.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
that sounds like a really bad assumption for a lot of reasons, like we dont know the setup or what the post restriction might actually do (whether it's just to be annoying as gently caress or if it actually does something)

mmt is probably good. i dont see 3p killer, especially because she claimed one-shot so if she is somehow 3p day sk if she does it again we can just murder her

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

merk posted:

I thought it was interesting that DGK calls out Dead Cow as useless but makes no comment about her alignment.

Because DC has posted nothing of value or tone enough to make a call. Like half of this loving thread.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

flerp posted:

i had the same feelings about his comments about rf. i was like how the heck r u gonna call opop scummy because he hasnt made a lot of posts. its a meta case but also an incorrect meta post because opoop does not post a lot

im not really sure why some people r on that list and not others ngl

Because I used to know Opop as a fairly prolific poster. It's old meta, champ. The people on my list are the ones I've looked at the hardest, due to my interactions with them. Most of them had enough content to look at. If people didn't make the list they didn't strike me in either way.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

My major issue with NGK is his super hard push on AA, and then walking away from it without any reasoning until pressed about it. His reasoning was that AA posted more and he cooled on him. His reasoning was devoid of any real explanation.

So his opinions are fake. Probable scum.

OH MY GOD. It was like, the very very beginning of the game. I don't know how much more I can explain that he seemed scummy, I pushed on him, my opinion changed and I moved on. Is that not what the gently caress we do in Mafia? Or should I tunnel?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DGK2000 posted:

Because I used to know Opop as a fairly prolific poster. It's old meta, champ. The people on my list are the ones I've looked at the hardest, due to my interactions with them. Most of them had enough content to look at. If people didn't make the list they didn't strike me in either way.

Eh it depends. I've definitely slowed down but I'm putting in more effort here because this is a DBD game.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Probably going to bed soon. I should have some time before work to catch up unless the thread explodes, but my work start time is set for the exact deadline. I think I can get on my phone right before then but I'd like to be able to finalize my vote and secure a lynch before my commute if possible.

I suggest people look over my and MMTs cases on merk, but there are quite a few people I think are scummy enough to merit a day 1 flip. Hoping to wake up to a lot of discussion and a solid vote leader or two.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I like my vote.

A day action happens that makes it highly improbable that someone's scum pick is scum, and you find it scummy that they change their mind?

No votes, lots of white noise and bad opinions. Dead Cow here is a scumbo.

Yeah, this is probably correct. I’m generally suspicious of people who don’t vote. ##vote dead cows

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Who has post restrictions? Merk and lumpen, anyone else?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Lumpen posted:

I don't suspect merk because I have reason to believe that these applied PR's would fail to affect a human. I am authorized to say paraphrasing, that my attributes have been modified temporarily, and so this behavior should signal someone that I'm a host, and leads me to conclude merk is likely the same.

Tolly was pointed out as seeming to be under a PR, and I unvoted her, then she denied it and I revoted her.

Is there any reason not to believe that merk and lumpen are scumbros making up this PR? Like maaaybe they have one but

(a) they’re definitely not keeping it up with every post and
(b) Lumpen trying to claim that PR = host sounds hilariously self-serving to me

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Murmur Twin posted:

Is there any reason not to believe that merk and lumpen are scumbros making up this PR? Like maaaybe they have one but

I wish you didn't have so many right opinions about merk and the PR claims in general. it's causing some very conflicting opinions on my part.

I'm otw to work, will be reading from there and hopefully posting today

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I haven't read a lot, but can we come up with different abbreviations for power role and post restriction. Jesus.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm starting to feel myself get Mafia Mad at this game so I'm done with it for awhile. I'll be around before deadline but honestly I feel like I'm just making myself harder to read by engaging in this conversation.

I've said everytihng I need to say, my top four votes in order are Merk, Lumpen, Snail, B-Minus. The cases are there if people want to see them.

Am I right in assuming MMT is currently one of the more trusted people we have? My prefered vote is, as before, snail, but I do find that merk seems unnecessarily aggro (and has been becoming more-so with time). Of particular note is his eagerness to go ham on MMT.

That can be explained as eagerness to avoid a no-lynch, but it's also a bit suspect. I'd be willing to vote merk.

Lumpen is just weird and I don't know how I should read him.

B-minus is on the inactive side, but I don't consider that the things he says are suspect.

So, having said that ##vote merk.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye

Murmur Twin posted:

This is the post that makes me believe the post restrictions

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I did reply.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Guys I strongly feel Lando is town, MMT and Quid as well. Tobbs and Hiipfire I've still got weird feelings about but they're other people have enough town feelings toward that I wouldn't vote.

I'm not sure about Merk, I spent the last game going hard against him and I'm reluctant to immediately jump back in against him.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

I haven't read a lot, but can we come up with different abbreviations for power role and post restriction. Jesus.

we should just refrain from talking about either of them imo :ssh:

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I will now call posting restrictions Funny Talking.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Murmur Twin posted:

I can see how a reasonable person, (probably smarter than me, I'm no great shakes) might have this cross their mind. merk and I have not expressed much if any suspicion of each other, and merk spoke up to make excuses for me when I was absent, and I initially revealed the concept of there being post restrictions I think, and then also made the public suggestion that it might be proof of being a host, at a time when merk was getting votes.

The effect involves manipulation of my programming attributes, and that would be ineffective on a Human. It does seem like that's effectively a quasi-Cop or multiple quasi-Cops, which could be a stretch with the Brutal DayCop you've claimed. I don't know more about the mechanics of this, I was just the measly unworthy target of it, and I was told that my demeanor should predominantly match my personality setting or there would be a future consequence, and it lasts one day. Flavor-wise it makes more sense that this is an ability that a Human would use on Hosts, which would eliminate the potentially unbalancing aspect of it being a sort of Cop power.

If we were Scumbros who colluded to make this up as a gambit and stick with it from the very first posts of the game, I think that would be an overly risky, bad gambit. On a meta level, I'm a distancer, merk is too.

On D2 I assume there will be at least a couple new, different people acting weird from the same effect, so they'll be able to back it up. I assume that there is a person or people who caused the effects that know we're both telling the truth (and are Hosts) as well. Mechanically, I suspect that this is a Human ability that they're required to use, and it possibly-confirming players as Hosts is more of a drawback. It might lead to people adopting fake post restrictions on future days to try to masquerade as Hosts.

Anyway, I'm sharing true info and being sincere, and I hope that comes through even though I'm so dumb and suck so much.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I actually believe this Funny Talking stuff, which is difficult because I feel like Lumpen has been sketchy otherwise

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I trust MMT and Quid as Town due to MMT day action.

Lando is trying in earnest which makes me think he is also Town.

I'd like to see a real LumpenList in the future.

I don't wanna vote for Merk while he's voting for me because it seems like I'd just be getting into a poo poo slinging match. But he's barking up the wrong tree chasing me.

Frankly I still feel my current vote on AA is on someone who saw an easy hand and played it.

B- is not someone I've seen enough of to have a real gauge beyond generally participating. Same with snail.

Dancer is similar but more active.

50 was really into flavor debate which was a bit distracting, but it confused me too so I can't be a hypocrite.

Tolly had some back and fort with Tobbs early that caught my eye but I'm happy to assume that was standard long term player throwing poo poo at a wall tactics.

Everyone else are names I've not seen enough.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dancer posted:

Mmerk seems unnecessarily aggro (and has been becoming more-so with time). Of particular note is his eagerness to go ham on MMT.

Why is "aggro" some sort of a scum tell to you?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

Hmmm I agree that they aren't keeping it up with every post and that is strange which is why I asked merk if he dropped it before. However we don't know what the PR is other than merk has to appear overly friendly and maybe Lumpen has to be self-deprecating (unless I missed some specifics someplace) and maybe they only need to keep it up in half their posts or some such nonsense. Too many unknowns to really speculate.

But flavor-wise PRs (FTs?) being forced on only hosts makes obvious sense.

I dunno I can't see merk and lumpen of all people deciding to gambit PRs and I think we have established at this point that being a HOST and being HOST-aligned aren't necessarily the same and it wouldn't even be a very effective gambit if the idea was to clear themselves

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hey Hal, who is scum, bud? That whole post is unhelpful WIFOMing about a PR.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'm driving to Albuquerque for most of the day today so I will probably find a more effective spot than Tobbs to leave my vote in a bit in case I can't get back to the thread in time. I still have bad feelings on Tobbs but mostly it's lingering from my distaste from him being so self-defensive early on. Since then his posting has been alright, not super townie but nothing else he has done has jumped out at me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
MMT, what do you think about my Lumpen analysis now that you know that Lumpen was barely following along?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

Hey Hal, who is scum, bud? That whole post is unhelpful WIFOMing about a PR.

I wouldn't say it was entirely unhelpful. I'm collecting my scum thoughts now.

Your points on Gridlocked are decent but there is enough earnest newbie stuff in there that I think he's town feeling his way around. Doesn't feel forced-scum at all.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

I wouldn't say it was entirely unhelpful. I'm collecting my scum thoughts now.

Your points on Gridlocked are decent but there is enough earnest newbie stuff in there that I think he's town feeling his way around. Doesn't feel forced-scum at all.

His last awful list post this morning has me reconsidering. It looks more actually-kind-of-trying newbie.

I'm about to go mine out some more stuff.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Dancer posted:

Am I right in assuming MMT is currently one of the more trusted people we have? My prefered vote is, as before, snail, but I do find that merk seems unnecessarily aggro (and has been becoming more-so with time). Of particular note is his eagerness to go ham on MMT.

That can be explained as eagerness to avoid a no-lynch, but it's also a bit suspect. I'd be willing to vote merk.

Lumpen is just weird and I don't know how I should read him.

B-minus is on the inactive side, but I don't consider that the things he says are suspect.

Don't much like this post, it actually feels like a forced leadup to vote merk.

Like why not vote snail (or keep voting snail if you were) if that is your preferred vote? Merk being "aggro" swayed you that much?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm about to read Dancer. It looks like we picked up on the same thing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There isn't much in Dancer. He's a newbie. He voted KB (fine) and me (bad). He has a big effort post with notes.

Not enough there when compared at balance to other reads.

##unvote - I may go back to Gridlocked but want to investigate.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
KB is someone I think I'd vote, but we wouldn't learn all that much. He has 4-5 'gut votes' with no explanations on them. He has done no scum hunting outside of these gut votes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Lumpen spending his time looking at his own historic games instead of trying to find scum in this game is concerning.
Lumpen trying to confirm himself based on the PR is concerning.

merk posted:

[Lumpen asking RF to claim] is the strongest thing so far about why Lumpen might be scum. This was after RF clarified everything that I think anyone wanted to know about the flavor issue. This does look like fake content, unless he just missed the post that RF quotes for him later in the page.
Context.

MMT's point about Lumpen primarily making town reads is also concerning, especially when paired with his effort to not find scum in this game.

Although formatted terribly since this is random thoughts pieced together, that's actually a pretty good case that can't be explained away by him being busy. If I have a moment, I'll try to make it more readable.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

I've had some heavy family poo poo to deal with the last two days, and I will generally only be active during my toddlers naptime roughly an hour or two sonewhere between noon and 3pm if I'm lucky. Amd then maybe a little after bedtime 8pm EST at best.

I woukd absolutely say this if I were Scum as well, so this os informative not exculpatory and I apologise that I can't be hardcore involved, I am a shell of my old Mafia self.

I will try to get a well formatted LumpenList put together the next time I can spare the time and attention.

DeadCow, the "totally Town amigos!" is the way I originally said my forst post in TheState's Fallout game in 2009. I think 50 was in that game and I don't know if I had invented the LumpenList at that point. If you have archivea you can verify.

Lumpen posted:

I am sorry, digging in the sa mafia wiki and archives I replaced into the Fallout game which was hosted by VOTE1, and also did not say "Confirmin', totally Town amigos!" , nor in Greek Gods Mafia or Flavor Mafia. I did find out that I used to wrote more poetry and flavorful narrative posts back when I started, I was a very cute newbie. I can't currently pinpoint where I made that my firstpost phrase.

Friendlies, I really don't want to sound like a jerk here because this is butting up close to casing someone because they are dealing with personal things outside of the game. However, I don't know if I can past the thought process behind these two posts.

Post 1: I am super busy. I can barely play the game.
Post 2: I spent a bunch of time looking through old posts of mine in old games to deflate a meta argument about whether I capitalized a 't' in a confirmation post. I did this instead of scum hunting.

##vote Lumpen

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

Don't much like this post, it actually feels like a forced leadup to vote merk.

Like why not vote snail (or keep voting snail if you were) if that is your preferred vote? Merk being "aggro" swayed you that much?

Snail was my vote until the merk vote, and I switched simply to move towards a majority. Snail was not catching on, I will be leaving home in half an hour, I am not sure I'll be back by the deadline, and I would prefer to not have a no-lynch. Merk's behaviour didn't sway me, what swayed me was the possibility I'd be wasting my vote if it was on snail.

merk posted:

Why is "aggro" some sort of a scum tell to you?

(slight hyperbole for clarity). It seems to my mind that you are trying to a) start fights with a lot of people and b) doing it loudly/forced (some of your accusations are bullshit, like even if it is your policy to insta-lynch 3P, I don't see why you thought MMT actually was 3P). This fits with a scum trying really hard to get some dirt to stick to someone, without much caring who it is (as long as, presumably, it's not some other scum). It's a little bit of WIFOM, in that in my personal experience (which may very well be different from SA mafia, I legit don't know), scum explicitly want to fly under the radar, they don't want to be too loud, but if you know that I expect that, you will think I will trust you because you're loud.

merk posted:

There isn't much in Dancer. He's a newbie. He voted KB (fine) and me (bad). He has a big effort post with notes.

Not enough there when compared at balance to other reads.

##unvote - I may go back to Gridlocked but want to investigate.

I also voted for Snail.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I had a case I was typing up on Lumpen but I can buy the Funny Talk stuff as a reason to note vote personally.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tolly Totes posted:

I had a case I was typing up on Lumpen but I can buy the Funny Talk stuff as a reason to note vote personally.

As someone who also has the funny stuff, friend, I don't think it confirms alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Totally unrelated to discussions: JFC I feel like I'm dedicating my life to this thread and I'm still 5th lowest post-count how do you people spam so much.

• Locked thread