Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does your opponent hitting 100% war exhaustion impact your war score at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is it still possible to have a hellwar though, like i like the idea of being so opposed to my neighbor we just fight until one of us is reduced to ash

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to see your total chance for a ship to Combat Disengage? I chose the hit and run war doctrine and i'm curious what the total is now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hear purging is bugged right now; in what way? I'm trying to play as space vampires who want to eat everyone in the galaxy.

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

queeb posted:

is it still possible to have a hellwar though, like i like the idea of being so opposed to my neighbor we just fight until one of us is reduced to ash

No, at least not till the next patch, where it sounds like you might be able to with some large downsides.

Though that makes me wish we could unlock new CBs through research. An actual "apocalyptic war" type CB with certain conditions (mutual rivalry for many years, or something) would be fitting. And others, like having your founder species on a neighbor's planet, for instance, should be some kind of CB with a free claim.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can put afterburners on stations, they have no effect :(
I was hoping for nimble little defense stations with powerful thrusters that kept them moving and gave them an evasion chance, but nope.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

queeb posted:

I would like it if, when the late game crisis is over, there was an event called something like “the era of total war” that enabled wars to the death by turning off War Exhaustion and giving everyone a global containment CB. Flavour justification is that the crisis necessitates a total war footing to defeat, and once you’ve done that once and come out the other side, it’s easier to do again. Gameplay justification is that if you’ve beaten the crisis and still want to keep playing and do wars, you’re probably just mopping up.

Basically switch to Hearts of Iron rules.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or does it seems like, pound for pound, the best weapons to put on defensive platforms are hangars since you can muster a lot of them on a fortress station, enough to test even the most PD-heavy fleet?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

GorfZaplen posted:

I hear purging is bugged right now; in what way? I'm trying to play as space vampires who want to eat everyone in the galaxy.

Pops unhappiness penalty is erroneously being applied to purging.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Agreed, I didn't mind when this game first came out but the staggering amount of bugs that they reverted in this version blows my mind. It's like they forked the Cherryh code off of Stellaris 1.0 and undid all the bug fixing they have ever done.

uhhhh the game is not particularly buggy at the moment though? there are a few issues here and there but none of them aside from purges being broken are even particularly noticeable. some new features need further tuning, of course, but those mostly aren't "bugs"

on a related note, though, i have found a bug with assimilation. if you try to assimilate an uplifted species, to make them cybernetic/latent psionic/etc., the game will:

1. set all uplifted species in your empire to assimilation citizenship even if they are already cybernetic/latent psionic/etc. from the initial special project
2. flip them back to their previous citizenship status at the turn of the year without adding the trait to any pops

i'm not sure if it's uplifted pre-sentients only, as i think i had a refugee from an invaded primitive civ who similarly was resistant to assimilation, but it always happens to uplifted species.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ahahaha raiding fleet just stumbled into the enigmatic fortress!! Who is the dwamak now you idiots!! :D

Other thoughts on 2.0:

Medium maps and above can go into garbage, never touching them again. For me its not a problem, I always thought that small is perfect, 600 stars is just more clicking and pointless busywork. With that in mind, Wiz, pls add a leviathan slider on small map you are lucky if you get 2, pls let us choose how many space monsters and weird stuff we want.

AI can't hadle 600 stars very well. They deal with local stuff well enough but when there are multiple alliances things get weird. For instance in my current war with 2 empires to the north and south of the pole, my southern ally decided his services are more needed in the north and started the long trek which he isn't likely to complete before the war ends.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

liveoctopus posted:

No, at least not till the next patch, where it sounds like you might be able to with some large downsides.

Though that makes me wish we could unlock new CBs through research. An actual "apocalyptic war" type CB with certain conditions (mutual rivalry for many years, or something) would be fitting. And others, like having your founder species on a neighbor's planet, for instance, should be some kind of CB with a free claim.

"Little green men" CB

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A great Khan appeared on the opposite side of the galaxy, and I expected to get slaughtered when he took over a womhole leading right into my space, but nothing happened. I tried to invade him and it just showed a red x saying he'd closed borders with me. Lame.

Can you use wormholes to invade empires you're officially at war with, or do you get the same message?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think I've got the new system pretty much figured out. I managed to win the poo poo out of my first war and after fortifying and martial lawing the poo poo out of my two new conquests, I was able to get on pretty well. Food is a lot more important now, I had to buy food from a semi-friendly neighbor for a year or two while I got my house in order. I got a status quo peace in a more recent war where I fought a superior tech autocracy who had claims on me while I had none on him. I lost a couple whatever border systems in the peace, but lesson learned. You should be able to make claims when you're declared on, I had no intention of taking his poo poo and losing systems in a white peace was pretty lame.

Haven't had much trouble with marauders since theyre too far away. They've tried coming at me a few times, but they never actually made it to my territory, so gently caress em'. :shrug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a mod that makes the ion cannon modifiable in the designer? I found this one but it has a bunch of extra changes I'm not interested in.

Sekenr posted:

Medium maps and above can go into garbage, never touching them again. For me its not a problem, I always thought that small is perfect, 600 stars is just more clicking and pointless busywork. With that in mind, Wiz, pls add a leviathan slider on small map you are lucky if you get 2, pls let us choose how many space monsters and weird stuff we want.

There's a mod to make all unique systems spawn every game. That guy's other mods are cool too, I couldn't play without Auto Survey At Start and AutoBuild (automatic building upgrading is a god-send).

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 27, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dongattack posted:

So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

This is from a couple of days ago, but the home base is where your fleet pops up after an emergency FTL retreat, so having it close to the front can be a big deal if things go south on you. Travel times being what they are, it can be the difference between repairing your fleet and getting back into the war, or having that fleet stuck on the sidelines because it's home based in Space San Diego and the war's in Space New Jersey.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

A great Khan appeared on the opposite side of the galaxy, and I expected to get slaughtered when he took over a womhole leading right into my space, but nothing happened. I tried to invade him and it just showed a red x saying he'd closed borders with me. Lame.

Can you use wormholes to invade empires you're officially at war with, or do you get the same message?

you can absolutely pop out of a wormhole into an empire you're at war with; the other side of the wormhole even counts as adjacent for claim purposes, i believe, although the empire that owns the other side doesn't currently count as a neighbor.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 27, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Taear posted:

Get to planet, armies have 1000 strength.
Bombard for 10 months, armies have 980 strength.
And I'm used to just carting around one army of like 12 units and never making any others unless they die. It doesn't feel like you can do that any more and I'm annoyed because the armies stuff is the absolute worst part of the game. Make systems count for occupation!

It's probably down to being a pacifist.

In fact I think I'm done with my pacifist game. I enjoyed them when you went to war to liberate and save populations but now you can't even do that! I'm just sat around doing nothing because I can't participate in anything.

Just drop armies that have about 50% more strength than the defenders on them. No bombarding needed. Bombing isn't something you just do until all resistance is gone anymore. You want a planet occupied you drop troops on it. Troops strength bonuses actually have an impact now too - so all of those techs, traits, ethics and civics now suddenly have real, tangible value. You can check the strength of enemy ground troops before you land your own, so if you spot a particularily hardened planet, you might wanna think about attacking from a different angle. I've had situations where one planet was a 1k power defense, but there were also a bunch of 300-500 ones, so those get mopped up first, while the 1k gets bombed a little and more troops are produced.

Also, don't forget to bring a general. Those are good.

Armies not being tied into the fleet designer sucks though. Manual rebuilds and re-merges are awful.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Anybody else run in to this bug yet?

It's the same faction, bombing me to death with notifications about the same CB forever

e: are there any notification settings for this game? I need to turn this off because it's absolutely game ruining

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Bombarding can make up for not having enough armies though, indiscriminate bombardment+a few good men seems to work all right for me.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

THE loving MOON posted:

You should be able to make claims when you're declared on, I had no intention of taking his poo poo and losing systems in a white peace was pretty lame.

You can make claims when at war - just go to talk to them and click 'make claims'. Not sure whether it's more expensive for defensive wars - it's +100% for offensive wars.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I just drown my enemies in Psionic Armies, but it's a right pain reinforcing them post-battle.

Just saw my ally cruise by with 65 transports in his army

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Aethernet posted:

You can make claims when at war - just go to talk to them and click 'make claims'. Not sure whether it's more expensive for defensive wars - it's +100% for offensive wars.

It's normal cost in defensive wars.

TBH it probably shouldn't be. Maybe +50% or something.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aethernet posted:

You can also make claims in a defensive war in the system view by clicking the button in the bottom-left. Discovering this feature is how I finally got the Spiritualist FE to stop annoying my Pacifist Spacecorp with periodic wars because they were pissy about me robot ascending and settling a 25-tile gaia world.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Incidentally i know you can see your vassals claims by mouseover the claim-hexagon in Claims view, it'll tell you if that system is claimed. I am not sure if that works for looking at anyone elses claims.

Also the transfer system dialogue for vassals reeeeeallly needs to use the claims/sectors interface....ugh.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
So my last playthrough I fell into a death spiral which really illustrated why a lot of the new decisions were made.

Playing as Commonwealth of Man, had a really defensible position (Honorbound Warriors who respected my militancy and tendency to build lots of ships and signed a NAP fairly quickly on one side, Fallen Empire on another) and built up pretty solidly. However my food production wasn't keeping up. I wasn't too worried about it - I figured eventually I'd trade for it or something.

Then it collapsed QUICKLY - ran out of my limited food stockpile while I wasn't paying attention. OK, queue up some farms on empty squares, get out of the red. Except that my unrest started tanking HARD.

No problem, just spam some defens.... oh. Right. Tried to use martial law edicts to fix that. My banked influence covered 3 worlds... and it didn't even help that much. Soon ALL my pops were rioting with huge maluses to productivity, which meant I was growing EVEN LESS food. I had nothing to trade for food even if anyone would, because I swiftly ran out of money as well.

Pirates are attacking. Oh. They're... quite strong! 2K fleets! No matter, I still have 4K defense fleets... oh wait, I'm out of money. They're crippled. I throw them all at one pirate fleet anyway and do very badly. The others proceed to eat my stations.

My scientists die and I can't replace them - no money.

"Rome falls".

Game is good.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 27, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Splicer posted:

Does your opponent hitting 100% war exhaustion impact your war score at all?

No.

It just means you can force a White Peace on 'em whenever you feel like it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just downloaded a 6.7MB patch :siren:

Yep, it's 2.0.1 now.

quote:

Fixed processing/grid amalgamation/livestock purge types being broken
Fixed a bug where a fleet split from its parent would forget the previous hyperspace jump and get stuck in systems with FTL inhibitors indefinitely
Fixed several out of sync bugs in multiplayer
Fixed some missing/broken localization in various languages
Fixed upgrading ships wrongly having their XP deleted
Fixed some UI visibility issues on certain screen resolutions
Fixed misleading costs displayed for building mining/research stations
Fixed Admirals being unassigned from a fleet during combat
Fixed FTL inhibition effect not being removed when you downgrade a starbase

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 27, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Fixed Admirals being unassigned from a fleet during combat

This was pretty annoying! Glad it's fixed. Still nothing for fleet builder weirdness though (I suspect it's related to how it interacts with auto-upgrading ships including the 3 you start the game with).

Did the war exhaustion changes go in this patch?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Lum_ posted:

This was pretty annoying! Glad it's fixed. Still nothing for fleet builder weirdness though (I suspect it's related to how it interacts with auto-upgrading ships including the 3 you start the game with).

Did the war exhaustion changes go in this patch?

Nope, it's getting its own patch rather than a hotfix.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Xenaero posted:

https://imgur.com/a/8f7hu

I wanted to disable default empires because I never used them, so in their place I decided to make 25 custom empires, which could all potentially spawn in my next run. I decided to share in case anyone wants some inspiration for their galactic neighborhood.

I'm working on a mod which is much like this, but using more classic sci-fi tropes (Imperium of Man, etc.) and has contact events similar to how this mod implemented them:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-adv-custom-empires-pack-extended-first-contact.1021504/

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 27, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Those are good changes. Thank god for the multiplayer sync fix. It was fine at the start, but after midway though the game it was constant desyncs on things like PLANET_POP_MODIFIER. Curious to try it.

The admirals getting unassigned thing was annoying too.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think they fixed timed events too, got an asteroid sighted within 8 jumps of my fleet and could get there in time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

canepazzo posted:

I think they fixed timed events too, got an asteroid sighted within 8 jumps of my fleet and could get there in time.

Thats the best event to get at well fortified starbase.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Did they change the abandoned ship time limit? At 500 days, I found it was nearly impossible to complete unless I had a construction ship RIGHT THERE. A few jumps away and it had no chance.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I had a really cool war, I decided to go for living metal super early so my engineering tech was waaay behind and the rest wasn't doing so hot either, this much bigger empire that had been casually claiming my systems for decades finally declares war RIGHT as my star fortress goes up in our sole border system, and their fleets show up just as the defensive modules are installed. My fleets get swept aside, the enemies get brutally ground down by the fortress, finally retreating with the fortress at a couple hundred hp.

That shot their exhaustion up to 100% and won the war for me there. My goal was to humiliate them, which I'm not really sure how to do, it was at -1 but then dipped and kinda randomly jumped up and down, trending lower, so I status quo'd rather than risk getting wrecked in their own territory

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
2.0 is good stuff, but not without it's problems. I'm in a Commonwealth of Man game, and it's a little beyond 2250. 800 star, four spiral arm galaxy. I have the entire inner arm on the left side of my galaxy under my control, with 5 systems as chokepoints to get into my interior. I've been building up the fortresses on the border and keeping my fleet at the naval cap. Unfortunately almost all the other empires are a bunch of pacifists, so nobody likes me. The marauders were hired to attack me, but my fortress star they had to travel through along with my two fleets made short work of them.

But now I'm dealing with severe fleet manager fuckery. I've been using the FM exclusively to reinforce my military and it worked well. Right up until I lost some ships against the marauders. Only a few corvettes from each fleet, but now I have that issue with the numbers being completely wonky.

That 0/20 corvette bit? That's 15 corvettes, the original stack I had in the fleet. The other stack of 5 is the reinforcements that inexplicably decided they were going to create their own little fleet and no matter what I do, I can't figure out how to merge them into the same stack.

And this is the other fleet. The 0/20 stack is 16 corvettes. The single thing that happened between the fleets being cohesive, the way I wanted them, and the buffoonery of this was... a single battle in which I lost a few ships. I'm sure I can get away with just leaving them in their own little stacks as long as they are all part of the same fleet, but it's driving the little OCD part of me crazy.

All the other changes are gold. I can see loving the fleet manager when it's more intuitive.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat new horizons is really good

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shield Capacitors are dead and useless in the new meta, but now afterburners are almost entirely required as they make a significant improvement for travel speed. All "A" slots are afterburners forever now.
Glad the hotfix came out! Any word on the first full patch and what they're focused on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Aethernet posted:

OH. Well now I know. Update still good.