Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
sometimes when its really late au time and im fully nude i log onto online to play shootmans with the ausgoons. there's always someone there. even at 1am on a tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What if you wear clothes?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

The Bananana posted:

What if you wear clothes?

then i am logged off

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeO11F041fk

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

hahahaha holy poo poo

I also loved the second panic-rotation grenade in CCTV

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
kill stealing ftw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wamwNz8aLpI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Thief posted:

p much all the dlc operators are good fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbA-CwdV68k

:wow: some really great play there (and funny stuff)

good music choice too.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 27, 2018

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
https://my.mixtape.moe/shhrda.mp4

Ignore my dumb noises while I spray at the enemy team

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a good resource for learning about the game? I'm going through the training missions and those are pretty straightforward. I'm looking at the operators and I have no loving clue which ones to use or where to begin. I want to learn the ins and outs of this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a good resource for learning about the game? I'm going through the training missions and those are pretty straightforward. I'm looking at the operators and I have no loving clue which ones to use or where to begin. I want to learn the ins and outs of this.

Just play it man. Pick ops that sound fun, walk around the maps in private games, learn by doing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Forget reading and watching videos. Play a shitload, be bad for long enough to get good, and watch what your teammates are doing. Most of the operators are pretty straightforward. Since you're new, pick operators with simple or situational gadgets and focus on shooting people over using special toys. Buck, Sledge, Valkyrie and Rook are all good newbie choices. There are a few ops to avoid using like Castle and Caveira (rely heavily on knowledge of a map and how players move around it), Tachanka (bad), or Ela (toxic players that will bitch incessantly if you arent flawless with her). If you see a teammate doing something with an op that looks like fun, give it a try. See if you like it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Use good headphones and
just
listen.

The sound design coupled with the destruction are the games best features. Too often new/bad players will just keep talking which can actually reduce the amount of useful information. My rule for callouts is if I can't literally see where a person is, they could be anywhere so anything I have to say beyond "they killed me from x" or "I last saw them at y" is generally useless. Not a strict rule or anything but just try to keep any unnecessary talking to a minimum. If you're trying to paint a verbal picture just stop and let your team listen to the environment. Somebody crunching glass under their feet, or running on a certain surface can reveal a lot but will be drowned out by any talking.

Also get on discord and don't be afraid to join a channel by yourself. If you join, there's a good chance 4 other people are lurking and will join over the next little while.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Penpal posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

I also loved the second panic-rotation grenade in CCTV

I went to throw it on the wall into the garage and was like "ahh gently caress it's barricaded I'm outta heeeeeeere"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ZeusCannon posted:

I don't know about PC but if your playing Xbox and you aren't playing with people you know 98% of the time no mics.

I have it on three platforms and PC actually has the least mic users from my experience. But that's compensated a little by the text chat.

And of course most mic-using pubbies are insufferable anyway.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I would not have guessed that and also I concur.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
The gently caress. I could of sworn back during and up till I stopped playing(Just after skyscrapper). If you drone a room, and just leave it sit inside and watch them with out pinging it'll pick up the operatives still/id but it won't mark/ping them. When did they change this?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That changed with White Noise. Now you have to spot them to get their icons.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
That explains a lot !_! I'll need to rtfm some more. Before people never pinged or tried too very little, so as not to get the droid destroyed. Now it just ping, ping, ping till it shot again XD

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WaffleLove posted:

That explains a lot !_! I'll need to rtfm some more. Before people never pinged or tried too very little, so as not to get the droid destroyed. Now it just ping, ping, ping till it shot again XD

How on earth have you survived on this website for 11 years

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Still having to remind people not to ping on cams when it's a clutch or kick situation is like being the village elder and remembering a time when you once pinged thoughtlessly in the past

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

:wow: some really great play there (and funny stuff)

good music choice too.

i want to play valk more but she can be tiring trying to improvise camera spots and hope they work

there are some players that learn really specific spots that are amazing for specific objectives and hard to tell where its scanning from but i just throw them into the trees or any tall object that i think it'll stick to. it sucks throwing out of the main building because its kind of a gamble and a lot of times you can completely miss the mark and just have this dud camera in the grass that can barely spot the tops of people's heads.

The Duggler posted:

Use good headphones and
just
listen.

The sound design coupled with the destruction are the games best features.

this is literally the main reason i play this game. the abilities are cool and the different roles you can play make the game nearly infinitely replayable but one of the single most universally helpful things you can do is use your ears as much as your eyes to track enemies and you'll find yourself being able to flank them without them even knowing you're there. as you gain map knowledge you can use this to effectively shoot players through walls/floors/ceilings

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I am also curious about this

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks to the goons who showed me some things tonight. I still have a lot to learn.Gotta learn these maps.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

TBF the front page hasn't been updated reflecting new changes too though I am using it for refreshing the old stuff since it links too old thread R6 :P I'm playing mainly from memory on the maps I use to know, plus the new ones means i'm lost some times, that map site was helpful. Thank-fully most of the same tactics I know already work, it just learning new ones around the new operators that have come out since I last played :) The rest I kinda knew, but some of the weapon builds on the front page I never thought of. As for patch notes. I honestly didn't think they'd patch that mechanic out, so I didn't even think to read it.

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 28, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

WaffleLove posted:

TBF the front page hasn't been updated reflecting new changes too though I am using it for refreshing the old stuff since it links too old thread R6 :P I'm playing mainly from memory on the maps I use to know, plus the new ones means i'm lost some times, that map site was helpful. Thank-fully most of the same tactics I know already work, it just learning new ones around the new operators that have come out since I last played :) The rest I kinda knew, but some of the weapon builds on the front page I never thought of. As for patch notes. I honestly didn't think they'd patch that mechanic out, so I didn't even think to read it.

He's asking how you've survived on the forums because you post like a child

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How's about everyone lighten up on this dudes poor posting skill and get to the real issue. A 5 man squad required challenge. Has it been done before?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

This felt so gratifying, and is the perfect example of why you should wear headphones, and always confront a blitz before he confronts you: https://streamable.com/dz9xb

I heard them come up immediately to the door, and thought "as soon as they push I will melee and go ham", not knowing there were two stacked up. The third was just dumb loving luck and decent reflexes

Also the outlined teammate in the background joining the crouch communication before I dropped made me smile when I watched the clip back afterwards haha

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 28, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

How's about everyone lighten up on this dudes poor posting skill and get to the real issue. A 5 man squad required challenge. Has it been done before?

Saw that and went well this week is gonna be rough and I certainly won't get that challenge. At least I have an excuse now for constantly being placed against five stacks on round 2 with it 0-2 their favor!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Do people ever troll LESS? So far in both of my ranked games people just tk until they're kicked after one or two rounds.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not that I have ever noticed.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

What rank are you playing in

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

The Duggler posted:

Too often new/bad players will just keep talking which can actually reduce the amount of useful information. My rule for callouts is if I can't literally see where a person is, they could be anywhere so anything I have to say beyond "they killed me from x" or "I last saw them at y" is generally useless. Not a strict rule or anything but just try to keep any unnecessary talking to a minimum. If you're trying to paint a verbal picture just stop and let your team listen to the environment. Somebody crunching glass under their feet, or running on a certain surface can reveal a lot but will be drowned out by any talking.

This is so true being an English speaking EU player sucks as I have to mute my foreign speaking team mates as they are always talking

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Penpal posted:

I don't know. I just started playing ranked, which is why I said my two ranked games.

BarDown
Jun 20, 2013

Peace among worlds
*burp*BITCHHHH*burp*

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Do people ever troll LESS? So far in both of my ranked games people just tk until they're kicked after one or two rounds.

Could be due to end of the season and people not caring. Though I'm firmly in plat 3 and intentional tking rarely ever happens.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't know. I just started playing ranked, which is why I said my two ranked games.

Penpal posted:

pretty much everyone i've seen that has terrible experiences in ranked is usually solo que'ing placements then stopping as soon as they get a rank or shortly after

for the most part it only takes like 1-2 games to rank up or down in this game so its hard to say where the cutoff line for tryhards is. most people that play regularly and support their team tend to make it to gold regardless of how good they are

silver seems to be the perfect middleground between people that try to play like a team but don't have all the meta stuff memorized or just don't play as frequently

once you start dropping below that you'll see a lot more griefers, TKers and smurfs but its worse in copper than bronze because most of the people that do this think its funnier to hit copper IV which is the lowest possible

i default to ranked when solo so long as the que times aren't more than 2min otherwise i'll just play casual and from my experiences its worth it as the overall quality of matches is better. you're gonna see lovely people in both. if anything people are more toxic in casual and talk poo poo constantly if you kill them because apparently left clicking someone a couple more times than they left clicked you makes a person sweaty

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My bad, I completely blanked on that. But honestly I play this game mostly with a group or at least another person. Really mitigates the trolling

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/80tblu/good/duyf9sf/

Epi mentions there will be another new process to counter lovely toxic players, Reddit falls all over themselves to be toxic.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ban everyone calling HK ops chinese

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I got a notice from Xbox the other night saying "Thank you for helping make Xbox Live safer for everyone! We took action on one or more of the recent complaints you filed".

I'm pretty sure it was against the guy that messaged me saying "Blackbeard is a bitch character, you're a huge pussy for using him"

it felt good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thief posted:

ban everyone calling HK ops chinese

I'm sorry to break it to you but it's no longer before July 1997.