Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye

King Burgundy posted:

Nope. Because despite him posting nothing, he is lower on suspicion lists than I am. When the reason people are suspicious of me is lurking, that doesn't actually jive as a real opinion. However, since so many of you have it, you can't all be scum. In fairness, only my first game with the new meta, I'll see how this plays out after multiple before adjusting further, as I'd rather not become what I hate just to prove a point.

Nobody is making you do anything.

Do you think Mr F should be voted today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

Mostly my thing with Lumpen is trying to figure out if all these stiff yet inconsistent maxims he follows and tries to badger others into following are like, a real thing

Once upon a time, a carpenter was at his workshop. A young person approached and said "I have come from far away to be your apprentice." The carpenter, smiling, held up a screwdriver and said "This is a hammer. You must put these nails into the coffin." The carpenter watched the newcomer struggle and bang earnestly until the floor and sides of the coffin were constructed using the handle of the screwdriver. Wiping away brow-sweat, the newcomer said "I have done as you asked, but this is not a hammer and you're not a carpenter, you're an imposter!". The carpenter smashed the young person's head in with an actual hammer. The carpenter quickly nailed down the lid of the coffin and clapped his hands in satisfaction.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King Burgundy posted:

Content lurking would be only poo poo posting/flavor posting/game discussion.

As the inventor of the term content lurking, I must disagree, Kingo. Getting your alignment opinions, without explanation whatsoever for how they are formed, is an avoidance of content. We need more than just your vote; we need your reasoning behind the vote.

The reasoning behind the vote is the content.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tolly Totes posted:

Nobody is making you do anything.

Do you think Mr F should be voted today?

I'm always down for a lurker cuddle, yes. Especially in a game with no anti lurker rules. But there are also several other good choices.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

King Burgundy posted:

I'm always down for a lurker cuddle, yes.

I just want to know if your frequent mentions of Mr. F are you pushing for a vote on him or just some whataboutism

King Burgundy posted:

Especially in a game with no anti lurker rules. But there are also several other good choices.
Such as?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

sentimental snail posted:

I'm gonna try an experiment

tobbs, I'm surprised you didn't give me a quip in response to this. please acknowledge my feelings, and reply in the thread

Can't tell if buddying or genuine. I know I've pushed you hard when you were town (and I think the cop?) So I'll freely admit that I have trouble reading you. I certainly don't have a strong town read on you, though.

I like Dead Cow for scum better. She's been flying under everyone's radar while maintaining a presence in the thread, and the only defense thrown out there is a weak meta.

If she were town if have expected scum to be all over her as any easy mislynch. Right now the only ones interested in her are me (town) and MMT (highly improbable scum). That by itself is a bad reason to vote her, but it supports the scum case where she has no hard opinions/votes.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

As the inventor of the term content lurking, I must disagree, Kingo. Getting your alignment opinions, without explanation whatsoever for how they are formed, is an avoidance of content. We need more than just your vote; we need your reasoning behind the vote.

The reasoning behind the vote is the content.

I'm approaching my arbitrary self imposed post limit, so going to cut this discussion off and debate it with you after game. But how do you explain your lack of thinking Mr F is scum for the same reasons then? By not posting at all he has somehow escaped your notice? This is part of why I'm doing this. The community as a whole ignores these posters who aren't even trying in favor of those who do. Feel free to not respond to this and just think about it. As I won't continue until post game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Can't tell if buddying or genuine. I know I've pushed you hard when you were town (and I think the cop?) So I'll freely admit that I have trouble reading you. I certainly don't have a strong town read on you, though.

I like Dead Cow for scum better. She's been flying under everyone's radar while maintaining a presence in the thread, and the only defense thrown out there is a weak meta.

If she were town I'd have expected scum to be all over her as any easy mislynch. Right now the only ones interested in her are me (town) and MMT (highly improbable scum). That by itself is a bad reason to vote her, but it supports the scum case where she has no hard opinions/votes.

Mafia edit

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tolly Totes posted:

I just want to know if your frequent mentions of Mr. F are you pushing for a vote on him or just some whataboutism
Such as?

I paused catching up on the thread to talk in real time, so here are my last thoughts on the matter:

King Burgundy posted:

Strongest gut call still on AS, I can also see what Tobbs is saying on Stickup and would vote(although it makes me feel bad since he stuck up for me).

##vote AS

Would also vote Mr.F for being the prime lurker. Weirded out by Dancer's post I quoted, but he's new so I'll leave him be for now.

During my read this morning so far, I've also noticed Gridlock'd.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
KB is wasting a lot of his precious selfimposed word limit excusing himself and heaping scorn on lurking and Mr. F but not putting his vote where his mouth is and voting Mr. F

I am nothing special, but I would happily support ridding the game of a lurker today, be it KB, Mr. F, or Hal.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
:siren:HEADS UP, SIX HOURS REMAIN UNTIL DEADLINE!:siren:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Lumpen posted:

KB is wasting a lot of his precious selfimposed word limit excusing himself and heaping scorn on lurking and Mr. F but not putting his vote where his mouth is and voting Mr. F

I am nothing special, but I would happily support ridding the game of a lurker today, be it KB, Mr. F, or Hal.

Did you forget flerp

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Did you forget flerp

Yes. flerp too.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King Burgundy posted:

I'm approaching my arbitrary self imposed post limit, so going to cut this discussion off and debate it with you after game. But how do you explain your lack of thinking Mr F is scum for the same reasons then? By not posting at all he has somehow escaped your notice? This is part of why I'm doing this. The community as a whole ignores these posters who aren't even trying in favor of those who do. Feel free to not respond to this and just think about it. As I won't continue until post game.

He has two posts, friend. I have no idea about anything with his alignment. I expect he gets replaced. Alternatively, you are here and not telling us anything about alignment.

##vote KB

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

sentimental snail posted:

I think there are more relevant options for the day

Can you remind us who they are? Who are your top picks? You still think RF is the best choice?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If she were town if have expected scum to be all over her as any easy mislynch. Right now the only ones interested in her are me (town) and MMT (highly improbable scum). That by itself is a bad reason to vote her, but it supports the scum case where she has no hard opinions/votes.

a good reply. thanks tobbs! I will read dead cow as I can

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

King, what is your post limit?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tolly Totes posted:

King, what is your post limit?

It's arbitrary and self-imposed.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I humbly submit,
If KB is Scum, he's certainly seeming like it. Scumposts, lurking, self-conscious non-Scumhunting. Mostly talking about himself and stuff not related to finding Scum in this game. Self-imposed "posting limit" excuses.
If KB is Town, he can and should do better, and being lynched D1 for lurking will hopefully keep him from "turning into what he hates" in the future. If you're not going to play, don't sign up. Hal and Mr F included. The last thing we need is more people falling to that dark side.

I think he's probably Scum though and his cover story of new meta is a convenient smokescreen. ##Vote KB

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Caught up. I'd like to vote any of the following: AS, Stickup, Mr. F, Gridlock'd, Cow. Won't vote MMT/Quid/RF/Hiip/Lumpen/Merk today. (sorry MMT, want to see what happens with PR's tomorrow before making a call on those two)

For Tolly: I plan to stay in the bottom half of posters, so currently 9 more posts. Some of which will undoubtedly be vote changes as we approach deadline.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Lumpen posted:

I humbly submit,
If KB is Scum, he's certainly seeming like it. Scumposts, lurking, self-conscious non-Scumhunting. Mostly talking about himself and stuff not related to finding Scum in this game. Self-imposed "posting limit" excuses.
If KB is Town, he can and should do better, and being lynched D1 for lurking will hopefully keep him from "turning into what he hates" in the future. If you're not going to play, don't sign up. Hal and Mr F included. The last thing we need is more people falling to that dark side.

I think he's probably Scum though and his cover story of new meta is a convenient smokescreen. ##Vote KB

Nah. We have a lot of similar reads, he's likely town (or has a role that lets him play his town game). How do your lumpen lists line up, now that he's essentially posted his?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Nah. We have a lot of similar reads, he's likely town (or has a role that lets him play his town game). How do your lumpen lists line up, now that he's essentially posted his?

We agree on who's Town (easy and probably right) but his list of Scum didn't match my suspects except AS. He has bitched so much about Mr. F lurking but I note he hasn't mentioned flerp.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Not fully caught up, but know that the number of people that think I'm suspicious for lurking but are giving Mr. F a pass is hilarious to me. I guess my new meta should be not posting at all in future games? You are trying to turn me into what I hate most and it is really really funny.

I've explained before: I'm not giving Mr. F a pass, but a lack of content isn't as bad as very little but actively malicious content. The fact that you haven't justified your votes other than "gut reads" is scummy (I'm not saying you are scum, just that you might be), and if you are scum, then that falls under "actively malicious".

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Nobody with more than 2 votes, but I think it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

King Burgundy posted:

Caught up. I'd like to vote any of the following: AS, Stickup, Mr. F, Gridlock'd, Cow. Won't vote MMT/Quid/RF/Hiip/Lumpen/Merk today. (sorry MMT, want to see what happens with PR's tomorrow before making a call on those two)

For Tolly: I plan to stay in the bottom half of posters, so currently 9 more posts. Some of which will undoubtedly be vote changes as we approach deadline.

But... why?

Lumpen posted:

I humbly submit,

Yikes

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Really got a bad feeling from Lumpen listing a reason why voting a town person could be good.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tolly Totes posted:

But... why?

He is salty about FF7. He had much higher engagement in thread than a lot of other posters, but got called out for low engagement.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tolly Totes posted:

Really got a bad feeling from Lumpen listing a reason why voting a town person could be good.

Agreed, it's a terrifyingly bad vote considering the level of engagement of flerp and Mr. F, for example.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

I suck but,
Lynching All Lurkers is a good strategy for Town, regardless of the alignment of lurkers. I believe KB is a Scum lurker in this game.

Once again Tolly, who are your suspects, for the record?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

OK. I get your reasoning, that's potentially fine. But it, by now, also feels scummy that you are still failing to understand that no-one is arguing that Mr. F isn't scummy. We just don't know anything about him. Had you had the same amount of posts you have now, but had I read them and thought "hey these posts are contributing", I wouldn't say you are scummier than him. I'm saying you are scummy because of the combination of low post-count and those posts seeming scummy. I'm sure a time will come, and it's likely to be very soon (probably D2) where I, and other people, will run out of patience and will vote out extremely slow posters like Mr. F and flerp (whose allignment we know nothing about, other than the fact that lurking is scummy), over people we actively think are even scummier. For now, I (and other people) deem that they are not yet such a major threat. There is furthermore a case to be made that specifically now, at the start of the game when we don't have any information, the lynching of a high-activity person may be useful (even if lurkers are bad), because post-flip we can get more information from examining their past behaviour (and note that I'm not saying you're high-activity, just higher than Mr.F and flerp). Lynching the lurkers may be better long term, but lynching someone we can learn something from is better right now.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Seems people are really pushing for you KB.

Happy to confirm your N0 if you think it helps.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Lumpen posted:

I suck but,
Lynching All Lurkers is a good strategy for Town, regardless of the alignment of lurkers. I believe KB is a Scum lurker in this game.

My point wasn't that you targeted King, but that you gave an argument to vote him regardless of his alignment.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Seems people are really pushing for you KB.

Happy to confirm your N0 if you think it helps.

Wait what now, have I missed this? I'm not asking you to reveal more, has this been brought up before by either you or KB?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dancer posted:

Wait what now, have I missed this? I'm not asking you to reveal more, has this been brought up before by either you or KB?

Not gonna out it explicitly if he'd prefer it stay a secret, but he targeted me with an innocuous ability N0.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Agreed, it's a terrifyingly bad vote considering the level of engagement of flerp and Mr. F, for example.
We have less than 6 hours and neither MrF or flerp have a single vote on them. I'll lynch any viable lurker on any D1 in the absense of a solid case. I don't have much more than gut on anybody so removing a lurker sounds great. KB or flerp I prefer over Mr. F or Hal because they are playing the lovely way they play.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

My point wasn't that you targeted King, but that you gave an argument to vote him regardless of his alignment.
Yes, I stand by Lynch All Lurkers regardless of alignment.

Intrigued by Tobbs' claim though.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Tolly Totes posted:

This is super normal for lumpen, absolute null tell.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Ok, I've been earnest about the difficult time I've had reading people this game. I started reading people, put down my opinion on AA, but I feel like it wasn't quite enough for me to vote on.

I don't think it's scummy to hold off on a vote until I have a bit more certainty. Otherwise I'd just be playing Eenie meenie miney scum, and sticking votes random places. Or some sort of I Spy with my little eye, something that is Scummy! VOTE.

I'm really trying to analyze and get a good vote down rather than just hopping around on whatever the scumlord of the moment is.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Lumpen posted:

We have less than 6 hours and neither MrF or flerp have a single vote on them. I'll lynch any viable lurker on any D1 in the absense of a solid case. I don't have much more than gut on anybody so removing a lurker sounds great. KB or flerp I prefer over Mr. F or Hal because they are playing the lovely way they play.

I literally just posted the votecount showing that nobody has more than 2 votes. Everyone playing is a viable lynch candidate at this point.

Are you scum, lumpen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dancer posted:

Decent, hardworking hosts:
Dancer, MMT, Quid (no surprises here)
Vaguely trustworthy:
DGK, Tobbs, Tolly, merk
The Middle
merk, Lando, Gridlocked, Dead Cow, b-minus, Hal
Suspiciously squishy:
50 pounds, AA, Lando, Lumpen, KB, RF, Mr. F, flerp, HiipFire
Vile meat-puppets:
AS, KB, RF, snail

Before I leave my computer and quoting becomes annoying (I'll try to still be here on phone), here's my tier list from earlier, with alterations, and it should now have everyone on it. My current vote is on snail, with AS being my next in line... and I'm not sure anymore about the third place (it used to be KB, but Tobbs' thing changes my view at least a little). I will probably vote for the first person in the bottom two tiers who hits 6 votes (unless debate is still very active, which I strongly doubt it will be).

• Locked thread