Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I feel like Hive Minds could use the Synthetic Dawn treatment. They feel like a rough draft for what they did with Machcine Intelligences, and could probably use more archetypes than just Devouring Swarm to give them some flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

The Oldest Man posted:

The death star's a sunk cost, now we have to extract marginal value. The marginal value is measured in number of planets kerploded.

The Empire didn't fall due to ideological differences spawning rebels, it fell because it lost support of the economic elites when it didn't extract enough marginal utility from it's superweapons.

This... is actually somewhat supported in SW canon, actually. Look at the number of aristocrats in the rebellion, or The Last Jedi's discussion about how the same companies that armed the empire also armed the rebellion.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like Hive Minds could use the Synthetic Dawn treatment. They feel like a rough draft for what they did with Machcine Intelligences, and could probably use more archetypes than just Devouring Swarm to give them some flavor.

In keeping with some classic sci-fi tropes, I really want a Lonely Hive Mind that gets bonuses for every other hive mind it's in contact with.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Sorry to be That Guy, but this thread moves fast so many people may have missed it. I'm organizing a multiplayer game on Thursday nights (US) which will be rad and a good way to test out the new features.

Fair warning, there is a strong possibility we will delay a week to allow for a full post-release patch to hit. But even then there will still be a casual game this week.

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850158
Discord: https://discord.gg/ZvWaBeN

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So hey, with the new Claims system does anyone know what happens if you wipe out an Empire by taking their last planets with Claims but don't Claim all the surrounding systems? What happens to those systems? Do you get them anyway, do the Outposts blow themselves up, or what? Or does the old Empire still exists without any population?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jng2058 posted:

So hey, with the new Claims system does anyone know what happens if you wipe out an Empire by taking their last planets with Claims but don't Claim all the surrounding systems? What happens to those systems? Do you get them anyway, do the Outposts blow themselves up, or what? Or does the old Empire still exists without any population?

Everything goes away and you need to scramble to survey the claim the systems if you're interested in them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Everything goes away and you need to scramble to survey the claim the systems if you're interested in them.

Cool, thanks.

Well, I've got lots more Minerals and Science Ships than I've got Influence at the moment, so a Decapitation Strike and then Survey/Outpost Scramble sounds like the way to go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jng2058 posted:

Cool, thanks.

Well, I've got lots more Minerals and Science Ships than I've got Influence at the moment, so a Decapitation Strike and then Survey/Outpost Scramble sounds like the way to go.

Yeah I play on .25 planet maps and this empire had a HUGE territory but only 2 systems with planets right next to my borders. I claimed them and a few systems to make pretty borders, and after the war about 80 systems just went gray and all neighbouring powers started to survey and claim them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Aethernet posted:

In keeping with some classic sci-fi tropes, I really want a Lonely Hive Mind that gets bonuses for every other hive mind it's in contact with.

A Hive Mind that really wants to know more about these strange single-minded "individuals," and who can gain bonuses for convincing other empires to allow emissary drones to live on their planets to learn more about them would be a neat trope to get in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tomn posted:

A Hive Mind that really wants to know more about these strange single-minded "individuals," and who can gain bonuses for convincing other empires to allow emissary drones to live on their planets to learn more about them would be a neat trope to get in.

Alternatively I'd love to be able to take-in some pops from a local friendly hive mind, have their happiness based on my relations with the originating hive or something. Have mechanical hives able to sell workers to friendly neighbours. "Give me 1,000 minerals and I'll give you 10 robots" that sort of thing.

Disassembled robots should give minerals though. If I conquer a robot empire it's pops are all auto-purged, but those pops should generate minerals as salvage, which I could put towards replacing them with my own robots.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Tomn posted:

Talking to a proper Hive Mind drone would probably be really incredible. Honestly it's hard for me to even grasp. One of the few things I would consider fundamentally 'inhuman'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Alternatively I'd love to be able to take-in some pops from a local friendly hive mind, have their happiness based on my relations with the originating hive or something. Have mechanical hives able to sell workers to friendly neighbours. "Give me 1,000 minerals and I'll give you 10 robots" that sort of thing.

This needs to go in with a diplomacy overhaul that includes spying and a "holy poo poo you really were that stupid" event chain.

Gyrotica posted:

Talking to a proper Hive Mind drone would probably be really incredible. Honestly it's hard for me to even grasp. One of the few things I would consider fundamentally 'inhuman'.

Its so hard to do that most scifi that tries seems to have "independent" drones that have disconnected to make it work.

The chapter(s?) from the hive mind perspective somewhere in Peter Hamilton's 4000 or whatever pages of the commonwealth saga were cool though.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 27, 2018

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Grand Fromage posted:

Influence is such a massive bottleneck now that I'm usually sitting on huge stockpiles of energy and minerals with nothing to do with them.

i lowered the influence cost of adding systems by like half and liked the pacing better that way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gyrotica posted:

It'd be like talking to an ant or a bee as they're probably the best representation we have on Earth of a hive mind.

There's an Animorphs book where they turn into ants and I think it got being so inter-connected mostly right. They experience it as an overwhelming drive to do what the rest of the colony is doing.

I dunno. It's like imagining talking to your liver or a collection of skin cells. It's fundamentally alien.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

When someone makes a claim on you, you should be able to click the pop-up bubble and have it zoom on the system in the galaxy view.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

When someone makes a claim on you, you should be able to click the pop-up bubble and have it zoom on the system in the galaxy view.

it's best when they claim the system immediately behind your chokepoint with a fully armed star fort

Come and get it fuckers

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Randarkman posted:

So that's 9 empires. I also really like the loading screen alien portraits, and kind of like the setup the Voor Technocracy has, though I may tweak them a bit as currently they get the Slaving Despots personality, and I feel that doesn't quite fit, and I don't really want more slaving despots (I feel like hegemonic imperialists would fit them more). Anyway that means I am 5 or 6 empires short of a full roster. Anyone here have any suggestions to help me fill this one out? Thinking interesting and cool matchups between portraits, civics, traits and the like (and cool flag designs), and filling out the remaining AI personalities. Also, I had a machine empire, of the exterminator kind, but ultimately decided I didn't quite care for them, so I am also missing a machine empire to add to this.

I go with a full 20 Empires in my roster, two of each World type, plus one Post-Apocalyptic and one Life-Seeded. I like to weave in little sub-stories so I've got the bird robot as Assimilators, then free birds who are of the original pre-cyborg race as anti-robot Spiritualists. Likewise I've got the fox-like mammals both as the Bio-Trophies for my Rogue Servitors and as a Free Haven max Egalitarian "Liberators" faction. I use the Elf/Vulcan portraits as Agrarian Idyll "Elodai", while the pointy eared bald guys are the break-away "Andai" Slaving Despots (with Elodai slaves from Syncretic Evolution). The Ork and Cyclops pics are my Bandit Kingdoms. I use the Venus Flytrap plantoids as Fanatical Purifiers called "Green Death". I've got two Ravenous Hive Minds, one the Nova Spider Pic, the other another bug type, with the Flying Bee Robots as the "Exterminators" who were built to fight the bgs, killed their creators, and now are a threat to everyone.

(Interestingly enough in my current game those three empires lined up Exterminators-Killer Bugs One-Killer Bugs Two in an arc around the interior spiral arm and the Exterminators and Bugs Two have been taking turns beating the poo poo out of Bugs One, leaving the rest of the galaxy alone. It's like a killer ant fight!)

I usually play humans, and so I've got two human factions similar to the UNE/CoM split but my own versions so I can make sure the counterpart is always in the game. I'm currently playing the violent ones. :commissar:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

My hive-mind is the blue bald pointy eared humanoids. Their species name and ruler are "Bob" and their empire's name is "It's Bob!" They're a pretty chill dude, all in all.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

axeil posted:

It'd be like talking to an ant or a bee as they're probably the best representation we have on Earth of a hive mind.

There's an Animorphs book where they turn into ants and I think it got being so inter-connected mostly right. They experience it as an overwhelming drive to do what the rest of the colony is doing.

I dunno. It's like imagining talking to your liver or a collection of skin cells. It's fundamentally alien.

I’d also like the opposite, a “nice” hive mind that just thinks of itself as a person and sees no difference between it and other individuals except size. I mean, we’re all hive minds made up of billions of cells with a consciousness distributed over (relative to a cell) huge distances, right?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Reveilled posted:

I’d also like the opposite, a “nice” hive mind that just thinks of itself as a person and sees no difference between it and other individuals except size. I mean, we’re all hive minds made up of billions of cells with a consciousness distributed over (relative to a cell) huge distances, right?

Kind of. I mean, a lot of those cells that contribute to consciousness are specialized in ways that people themselves aren't. Until we get real crazy with genetic or cybernetic augmentation, anyway....

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tomn posted:

Xenophile but in the opposite direction! I can get behind that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love that unrest still applies to how efficiently you can harvest a pop.

They're not nearly as much of a problem if you ship them off to another planet...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Xenophile but in the opposite direction! I can get behind that.

Now i'm imagining a friendly tree species that sends out emissaries and uses mind control pollen to take over

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks to good advice on how to interpret the battle reports better I'm starting to get the hang of ship design a bit more. I still think the whole thing could be a lot more intuitive and give better feedback but if you put in the effort ou can actually get decent results.

Seeing an after-battle report showing your weapons as 120% efficient and theirs 70% efficient while 90% of your shots hit but only 60% of theirs hit feels good. No one around me is doing much with shields due to low tech levels so I've got a little swarm of corvettes with a gauss cannon, laser, and mining drone laser. The mining drone laser seems really really good in the early game. +25% armour damage and +100% hull damage, that's huge. The kinetic kills the shields, the normal laser and mining laser eat the armour and hull.

The fleet has a few destroyers with PD to help handle enemy stations which seem to be going missile-heavy. It all works out.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I did an Inward Perfection game. Basically sat around outeched and outbuilt everything until they're all pathetic. But can't do anything because I'm pacifist. Seems like a better empire to have as a stumbling block for a player that to play yourself.

It's almost 2400 and I haven't fought at all!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Those are good changes. Thank god for the multiplayer sync fix. It was fine at the start, but after midway though the game it was constant desyncs on things like PLANET_POP_MODIFIER. Curious to try it.

The admirals getting unassigned thing was annoying too.

Were you using Guilli's Planet Modifiers mod? We figured that was the cause of the desyncs given the error description but if you were playing without it then I'd like to know so we can stick that excellent mod back on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So I did an Inward Perfection game. Basically sat around outeched and outbuilt everything until they're all pathetic. But can't do anything because I'm pacifist. Seems like a better empire to have as a stumbling block for a player that to play yourself.

Yeah, getting rid of liberation wars has made pacifist play pretty boring. The only thing I could suggest would be disbanding most of your fleet, insulting neighbours, and hoping they declare war. Then build your fleet back up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Doing a similar run. Almost 2600 and I've outpaced the FEs in tech -- although I also got the mod to remove the single limit on nexus/dyson spheres for something to do. Only fought one war (joined the neutrals out of fear from war in heaven) but that giant war fizzled out because of WE. Just triggered all the crises at once to see if something eventually happens.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

I think this makes a lot of sense.

Approach it from our perspective. If we found a bacteria that could write and carry on conversation and fly in space wouldn't we be utterly fascinated by it?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gyrotica posted:

Kind of. I mean, a lot of those cells that contribute to consciousness are specialized in ways that people themselves aren't. Until we get real crazy with genetic or cybernetic augmentation, anyway....

True, but analogies are never perfect, and in any case a hive mind is still made up of those same cells, just spread out over a few billion pieces.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Oh also, is there any way to get the notifications that actually require player action like trade deals to actually pop-up instead of leaving a notification icon? I'm constantly spammed with notifications and I have no idea if they're important or not because the icon for "we want to trade something with you" blurs together with the "someone made an agreement" notifications.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really want a way to better automate assist research. Every time some idiot dies I've got to click on the ship, assign a new leader, click on the ship again, double click a few times to get it to zoom into the system, zoom in a little more manually because some minor asteroid's name is blocking the name of my planet, right click, assist research.

A way to auto-replace leaders without their orders being interrupted would be great. Or just ditch the whole weird assist research mechanic. Why does the scientist need to be in orbit? Why can't they assist from the ground? Maybe just have idle scientists automatically provide some sort of empire-wide bonus comparable to the current assist research system?

Or have an "automatic assist research" order where the ship will automatically fly to the planet with the most research output that isn't currently being assisted. Someone dies? Quick replace the leader, hit the assist research button, and off they go. Anything but the current clickfest.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Just a workaround but if you pause fast enough after your scientist dies, the new one will continue carrying out previous missions without having to reclick everything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just a workaround but if you pause fast enough after your scientist dies, the new one will continue carrying out previous missions without having to reclick everything.

I've found this works with survey missions but never assist research :(

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I really want a way to better automate assist research. Every time some idiot dies I've got to click on the ship, assign a new leader, click on the ship again, double click a few times to get it to zoom into the system, zoom in a little more manually because some minor asteroid's name is blocking the name of my planet, right click, assist research.

A way to auto-replace leaders without their orders being interrupted would be great. Or just ditch the whole weird assist research mechanic. Why does the scientist need to be in orbit? Why can't they assist from the ground? Maybe just have idle scientists automatically provide some sort of empire-wide bonus comparable to the current assist research system?

Or have an "automatic assist research" order where the ship will automatically fly to the planet with the most research output that isn't currently being assisted. Someone dies? Quick replace the leader, hit the assist research button, and off they go. Anything but the current clickfest.

To make it a little easier, you can click the ship, hit Q, assign the leader, then click the planet and assist research.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

Why does the scientist need to be in orbit? Why can't they assist from the ground? Maybe just have idle scientists automatically provide some sort of empire-wide bonus comparable to the current assist research system?

I would like this. I end up just assigning my scientists to the first X planets I see because I can't be bothering figuring out where they should optimally go.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

WMain00 posted:

Yup I've seen that and wasn't sure whether it's some sort of technology or a bug. Seems like a bug since it basically means there's no way of getting into enemy space.

I saw this and fixed it by switching the fleet from passive to aggressive stance.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Just got into this on Apocalypse. Are mining stations upgradeable in any way? Or do they just provide x minerals forever?

I have mining network 2 on planets for example, but I assume the same can't be done in space ?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I saw this and fixed it by switching the fleet from passive to aggressive stance.

Thanks I'll give that a try :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Sylink posted:

Just got into this on Apocalypse. Are mining stations upgradeable in any way? Or do they just provide x minerals forever?

I have mining network 2 on planets for example, but I assume the same can't be done in space ?

Only upgrades are for ground-based buildings.