Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ok, thanks, that sucks.

Also what the gently caress a 5.6k raiding fleet appeared and destroyed me, guess I should have paid them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What galaxy settings are you folks using?

My default has been: Large --> Elliptical --> .25x planets and everything else basically default. Before 2.0 I liked the reduced planets because it extended the first phase of the game out, but now I don't think that's needed anymore. Seems like it's just forcing me to claim a buttload of systems and tanking my science.

I'm thinking I might try just maxing out enemy empires so that expansion is constrained earlier and wars happen more often/earlier as well.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, getting rid of liberation wars has made pacifist play pretty boring. The only thing I could suggest would be disbanding most of your fleet, insulting neighbours, and hoping they declare war. Then build your fleet back up.

I'll give that a go. I was all worried at the start of the game because once again I ended up with a nearby wormhole leading straight to hell. This time it led to the middle of a purifier empire, and last game I had one lead directly to a Marauder capital. In that previous game I just got wrecked constantly but raiders streaming through.

This game though, purifiers never bothered. Hopefully I can trick them!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Weissritter posted:

The Fortress system dream is real. Had a chokepoint system that leads to 3 others. Build up a Citadel that is nothing but guns and defensive platforms (with 50% range upgrade). Terraformed a 10-tile world so I can put down a shield generator and as much strongholds as I can. A fleet is stationed here permanently as well.

Citadel with maxed out defence platforms and ion cannons and nothing but gun and missile emplacements(with the range upgrade and 2 different auras) in a system with a ringworld, each segment of which contains nothing but fortresses and shield generators protecting the only hyperlane leading into the empire core worlds.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

Citadel with maxed out defence platforms and ion cannons and nothing but gun and missile emplacements(with the range upgrade and 2 different auras) in a system with a ringworld, each segment of which contains nothing but fortresses and shield generators protecting the only hyperlane leading into the empire core worlds.

Jump drives exist for a reason. It does seem like the awakened FEs will use their jump drives to bypass bastions if necessary.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks to good advice on how to interpret the battle reports better I'm starting to get the hang of ship design a bit more.

If you find the time to make an effort post about this, I feel it'd be a good candidate to be included in the OP.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Wiz,

If you could add a toggle for late game fleet re-positioning that would be great. I love how much jump drives change the game, but it's kinda annoying to need to shepherd the fleets individually. Gateways/wormholes are taken into account for shortest travel time, so there should be a toggle to allow jump drives to be used in the calculations. If you are worried about players forgetting it's on, and then loving up before a battle, maybe have it set to turn off after the fleet reaches it's destination.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Undocumented (I think) change to fleet manager: when you hit reinforce fleet and you have too many of a certain design, it will automatically detach those extra ships and create a new fleet template with the leftovers

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Max galaxy size, 4 spiral arms, 0.75 hyperlane density and 1.0 mid/endgame crisis event strength, rest default. Makes for contained stronghold type empires with easy to control chokepoints.
Idk if the crisis strength thing actually works tho, 1.0 is 1 tick down from default and my midgame crisis, united under khan, made a empire that has like 300k fleetstrength while the rest of us are puttering around with max 40k right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

canepazzo posted:

If you find the time to make an effort post about this, I feel it'd be a good candidate to be included in the OP.

Well so far I feel like I have a handle on kinetic/laser/plasma. Just look at the enemy fleet and if they have ships with like 500 hull, 300 armour, and 200 shields try to mirror that ratio in your weapon damage output. That's been getting me pretty good results and the battle report also backs up which weapons are working well or not.

For instance if you went all kinetic you'll take down their shields fast but suffer then -50% penalty against their armour and base damage against hull. If they don't have a lot of shields and do have a lot of armour you might see something like 60% efficiency on the weapon report. This efficiency report doesn't exactly tell you what to do, but generally the safe bet is to replace a mount or two of the low-efficiency weapon with a weapon that has the opposite traits. So if your anti-shield weapon is rated low, change it up with something bad at shields.

What I have zero clue about is where fighters and missiles fit in this new meta. Missiles BYPASS shields, which means they're good against highly shielded enemies but won't help actually take down the shields for other weapons to get in hull/armour damage. So where do they fit in with other weapons, or are they supposed to be used in 100% missile fleets? Strike craft seem really bad as well from what people are saying and my own experiments with them. Both are countered by PD as well. But I just don't know how they best fit in with a mix of other weapons.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My empire of authoritarian spiritualist xenophobes has been annexing its neighbor piece by piece over the last century, uses orbital bombardments regularly, has black sites orbiting half its planets to deal with dissent, regularly uses martial law to suppress unrest from its massive alien slave population, has about a third of its own people enslaved, and just genocided the entire population of a planet for rebelling.

...I think we might be the baddies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For size I honestly can't imagine playing on anything beyond medium and .25 planets. Planet management and ship travel times just become such a drag. I've been doing default hyperlane density, 2 arm spiral medium, 2 FE's, max AI's, no early starts, 2x primitives, 1.25 tech costs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

My empire of authoritarian spiritualist xenophobes has been annexing its neighbor piece by piece over the last century, uses orbital bombardments regularly, has black sites orbiting half its planets to deal with dissent, regularly uses martial law to suppress unrest from its massive alien slave population, has about a third of its own people enslaved, and just genocided the entire population of a planet for rebelling.

...I think we might be the baddies.

Do you have a death star?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you have a death star?
Not yet, but it's coming as soon as I can get the perk.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, getting rid of liberation wars has made pacifist play pretty boring. The only thing I could suggest would be disbanding most of your fleet, insulting neighbours, and hoping they declare war. Then build your fleet back up.

Retrofit your fleets to a design with absolute bare-minimum everything. Even take the engines out. It'll be cheaper and faster to upgrade than to rebuild everything.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

For size I honestly can't imagine playing on anything beyond medium and .25 planets. Planet management and ship travel times just become such a drag.

Easily circumvented by building gates and using jumpdrive on cooldown. Kinda micromanagy tho, but that's the game. I don't know how planet management is for non-angry machine empires, but i just build up mine and then forget them forever, i guess it can be a bitch if you have migration and stuff going on.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Undocumented (I think) change to fleet manager: when you hit reinforce fleet and you have too many of a certain design, it will automatically detach those extra ships and create a new fleet template with the leftovers

It was doing this before the patch

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

For size I honestly can't imagine playing on anything beyond medium and .25 planets. Planet management and ship travel times just become such a drag.

Planet management is most of the game for me. I usually go around 1.25-1.5 habitable planets, pick perks to increase core worlds and go big. Now add station management to that (though the quick list becomes somewhat unwieldy once you have 30+ stations on top of planets and habitats).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Max galaxy size, 4 spiral arms, 0.75 hyperlane density and 1.0 mid/endgame crisis event strength, rest default. Makes for contained stronghold type empires with easy to control chokepoints.
Idk if the crisis strength thing actually works tho, 1.0 is 1 tick down from default and my midgame crisis, united under khan, made a empire that has like 300k fleetstrength while the rest of us are puttering around with max 40k right now.

Oh the crisis strength definitely works! I did 3x like a fool and ended up with Contingency having 800k fleets vs ~150k for myself. Couldn't even dent their roaming 340k fleets... I think I'll try pushing back the start dates a bit next time, the mid game crisis seem a little buff for the time they usually appear.

I think I'll try max size spiral. I tried large spiral with 1.0 density and found it a too stringy? But then Elliptical 1.0 was a little too dense and Elliptical .75 was too stringy...fingers crossed max spiral 4 arms 1.0 will be just right.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

On one hand, the autobuild mod is probably mandatory to protect from carpal tunnel. On the other hand, it removes 70% of the gameplay. Hmmmmmmmmm

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I like lower planet counts because it makes the planets you've got special :3:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

It also makes the circle of life and habitat ascension perks way better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Circle of life still doesn’t seem all that great even with he increased penalties?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Also the ones you destroy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is it a known bug that you apparently can't make vassals/tributaries as a machine intelligence? I'm playing rogue servitors and have just adopted the domination tradition, but the diplomacy menu for my neighboring assholes still say that I must adopt the tradition before I can issue the demands. All the other requirements for the demands (neighbor, superior power, they are not at war) are all met.

E: Also, colossi are awesome

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 27, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Trip report on that mod to expand map slider options that Baronjutter posted about - unfortunately it doesn't change the STEPS on the sliders, just the minimums and maximums. So the dream of a hyperlane density setting between 0.75 and 1x remains unfulfilled - BUT, it gave me an idea that appears to have actually worked out.

If you create a mod that adds or changes the text files in map/setup_scenarios, then any setting that you change in those text files becomes the new default, even if it could not ordinarily be reached by the sliders ingame - and, at least for hyperlane density, appears to work as would be expected as long as you don't change it once you load the game. So the game I started with hyperlane density ("num_hyperlanes" in the file) set at 0.88 using this method does feel like it has more chokes than 1x and less than 0.75.

I'm at work so I can't post to the workshop (I might when I get home) but for those of you looking for a sweet spot it might be worth a try.

Slashrat posted:

Is it a known bug that you apparently can't make vassals/tributaries as a machine intelligence? I'm playing rogue servitors and have just adopted the domination tradition, but the diplomacy menu for my neighboring assholes still say that I must adopt the tradition before I can issue the demands. All the other requirements for the demands (neighbor, superior power, they are not at war) are all met.

I don't know if it's KNOWN but it's been reported on the Paradox forums and it's another effect of the same bug I bitched about for Inward Perfection a few pages ago: demanding vassals and tributaries requires the DEFAULT version of the Domination tradition, no swaps, but, like IPs/FPs/MTs/Swarms do with Purity, generic hive minds and machine intelligences swap it out for what, under the hood, is a different tradition (I think it just has different names and descriptive text but the same effects), so it doesn't actually work for enabling tribute/vassal demands.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Circle of life still doesn’t seem all that great even with he increased penalties?

I don't think 25-tile perfect worlds are really something you need to worry about the unity/research hit from. You will earn that back one way or another.

It's the immense initial investment in time/resources that just makes me think "meh, I'll increase habitability and make do".

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

hobbesmaster posted:

The ring worlds give you 4 huge gaia planets. If you have access to unity buildings you can easily make them a positive. The annoying thing about it is that you can't build all 4 sections at once.

E: Paradise dome, visitor center, hyper comms forum, energy nexus capitol and gene therapy place give you ~34 unity. If you have an artist monument, xeno zoo and spiritualist thing I think that puts you at ~50 unity from one ring world section which should compensate for any increased penalties.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 27, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s more that you get 100 tiles for 110k minerals when you could’ve had more tiles in habitats for the same cost. The advantage to the ring world is lesser penalties and mineral production which is pretty meh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I sort of wish the hits from planets to unity and research were scaled to their size a bit. Not 1:1 but make it so a size 12 planet gives a reduced penalty compared to a size 25.
It sort of all comes back to "what the hell is unity?" What's it representing, what's it trying to simulate, and why does having more planets give it a rigid penalty? The more a game system gets away from trying to "simulate" some real thing, even in a heavily simplified and abstracted way, the more it ends up turning into a meaningless mana pool representing nothing more than what the game balance requires of it.

But paradox games have rarely tried to simulate reality. Victoria tried to be more simulationy in its mechanics, and a lot of people love it for this, but holy poo poo at the Victoria economy. But I still think there's a lot of middle ground between Vicky2 economy and entirely contrived mana pools.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm playing with an (as yet unpublished) mod which halves megastructure costs and build times, and it seems to make them worthwhile.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s more that you get 100 tiles for 110k minerals when you could’ve had more tiles in habitats for the same cost. The advantage to the ring world is lesser penalties and mineral production which is pretty meh

It's fair to note that habitats cost a fair amount of Influence per habitat now, while only the initial ringworld project costs influence (equal to 3 habitats). Influence is a very valuable commodity now. Habitats are certainly far easier to deal with though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

GotLag posted:

I'm playing with an (as yet unpublished) mod which halves megastructure costs and build times, and it seems to make them worthwhile.

The biggest thing for me WRT megastructures is that you can only build one at a time. Why can't I work on a dyson sphere and a science nexus if I have the minerals?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I have a feeling that the unity costs for territory have so skewed the math that you should probably colonize many more planets than previously

You're going to end up in the +200% tech / unity cost region just from grabbing terrain so you may as well add +40% from some planets and generate a shitload of resources to offset the costs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I sort of wish the hits from planets to unity and research were scaled to their size a bit. Not 1:1 but make it so a size 12 planet gives a reduced penalty compared to a size 25.
It sort of all comes back to "what the hell is unity?" What's it representing, what's it trying to simulate, and why does having more planets give it a rigid penalty? The more a game system gets away from trying to "simulate" some real thing, even in a heavily simplified and abstracted way, the more it ends up turning into a meaningless mana pool representing nothing more than what the game balance requires of it.

But paradox games have rarely tried to simulate reality. Victoria tried to be more simulationy in its mechanics, and a lot of people love it for this, but holy poo poo at the Victoria economy. But I still think there's a lot of middle ground between Vicky2 economy and entirely contrived mana pools.

I really think costs should be per-system rather than per planet. Managing two planets in the same system should at least give you far less cost than two separate systems.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Azuth0667 posted:

The biggest thing for me WRT megastructures is that you can only build one at a time. Why can't I work on a dyson sphere and a science nexus if I have the minerals?

Oh yeah it also removes all the restrictions on simultaneous construction, as well as allowing multiple per empire (except for sentry arrays, you only get one of those).

My main problem with megastructures is how much time and effort you have to sink to even be able to build them. You have to have researched top-level starbases and reactors and then wait for a rare tech to drop (or blow an ascension perk on master builders to just make the tech appear), and ringworlds cost two perks (voidborne and ring of life) in addition to megastructures. I don't have time to look up the numbers but what's the earliest you can get ringworlds, your fifth ascension perk?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 27, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

My default has been: Large --> Elliptical --> .25x planets and everything else basically default. Before 2.0 I liked the reduced planets because it extended the first phase of the game out, but now I don't think that's needed anymore. Seems like it's just forcing me to claim a buttload of systems and tanking my science.

large 4-arm spiral, max AIs and fallen empires, with 5 advanced starts. 2x gates, 1.5x wormholes, 1x habitable planets. i haven't experimented with hyperlane density yet; punching up gates and wormholes gives them a much larger role and really divides your empire up into a "core" around whatever gates you possess and "backwaters" which are far from the gates, while also linking up the various galactic regions in interesting ways

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I sent a message to glyphgryph asking but he hasn't posted in the new thread or responded to me yet. If he has a problem, I'll take it down.

I went ahead and learned the bare minimum about modding, to update and fix the Goon Species mod located HERE.

It has all the species from the previous pack EXCEPT the "Grand and Mighty and Powerful Collection of Superior Beings" as the mod their portrait comes from is broken and I'm certainly not going to mess with that. I had to adjust some of the species whose traits or ethics had shuffled and were no longer valid. If you submitted one of these species and don't like what I did, or if I have a flag or color or anything wrong, please tell me here or in a PM and I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Like glyphgryph did, I'm open to taking submissions. Please put them in a pastebin, and provide a picture with your post; anything without a biography of some kind will not be considered. You can post it here or just PM me, I use the Awful app a lot and it tells me when I get a PM.

One last thing! I'm not sure if anyone posted it but I had Aethernet add a link to the Discord in the OP. Its been dead for a while but maybe with 2.0 it can be revived so I have someone to complain at when I gently caress up. https://discord.gg/Wa28D77

You want submissions? OK, here we go!

Manifold of Integrity

The Ijeni never had time for war, since they evolved on some crazy nightmare version of Earth: Instead of fighting each other, they spend all their time fighting nature. The constant battle against plants, animals and lovely weather has made them somewhat odd, they obsess about smashing nature with heavy machinery a lot.

Lore:
Ijenic history had its ups and downs: Their own peaceful nature always conflicted with their wild planet. Pairon is cursed with many, many dangerous plants and animals and horrific storms torture the surface in regular intervals. While the Ijeni never had much trouble staying at peace with each other, the constant fight against nature supplied them with all the evolutionary impulse they could ever need. Over time, the endless war against nature gave them an obsession with manipulating nature through the brute force of machinery.

Pastebin Manifold

Solitary Confinement Commune

The Soraccs are creepy weirdos, and would prefer to be creepy weirdos alone, thank you very much

Lore:
The ancestors of the Soraccs were squid-like predators swimming through the dark. Even today, they prefer to remain solitary, contemplating deep thoughts while shrouded in darkness. It is probably for the best that they wish to be left alone, for their way of thinking is incomprehensible to aliens, their behaviour often violent and terrible.

Pastebin Solitary

Outflow of Unified Streams

These little buggers are adapted to the depths of their oceans so well, they're very badly adapted to everything else! Otherwise, they're very conservative and cautious people. And thanks to evolving out of deep sea critters, they are always very careful to preserve environment. (The deep sea can be rather cruel to wasteful beings. Read up on the deep sea, it'll explain a lot about these guys.)

Lore:
The homeworld of the Korelri is a strange place: Life never really left its oceans, and intelligent life only appeared down in its abyssal depths. The arthropoid Korelri are the descendants of the most successful of those lifeforms: They are slow, and methodic thinkers and well adapted to the demanding environment of the deep sea. Sadly, this automatically makes them very badly adapted to colonize other worlds, especially ones without an ocean. And their highly adapted bodies tend to react very badly to low-pressure environments, which makes them not exactly the best fighters. Still, their high intelligence tends to help them work around their weaknesses.

Pastebin Outflow

Technocratic Republic of Trantor

What if machines rose up and mankind gladly joined? This empire also comes with some hidden bonus lore, since it has a cyborg race added in. The cyborgs are of course Human, but what kind? The answer may surprise you! (Cheaters can just look it up in the pastebin-link below.)

Lore:
The Archailects of Trantor are a group of immensely powerful, networked AIs. During the Chaos Days, when Human society on Trantor collapsed, those beings took control of the planet and ended the long war which had devastated this lost colony. The survivors now worship the Archailects as the saviours of Trantor. With AI and flesh now unified in noospheric glory, the Archailects now plan on extending their gift of peace, understanding and progress. Space awaits, the final frontier.

Pastebin of the Future

Green Mass Migration Formation

These creepy fuckers nearly overran half the galaxy in the test game where I employed them. It took a great alliance and lots of cheating to survive their merciless onslaught. Hopefully they're less overwhelming little monsters in Stellaris 2.0

Lore:
Thousands of years ago, a virulent plague destroyed all life on the Visoran homeworld. Centuries later, a strange new form of existence arose from the rotting corpse of the planet: The organism behind the plague had survived, using the few remaining plants as host. Over time, the parasites turned into symbionts and both kinds of life fused into a new whole: The Visoran species had been created. But even though the Visora are technically sapient, they do not communicate with aliens. From the viewpoint of their strange hive mind, there are only two types of beings: Visorans and resources. In this state of mind, enemies are just resources not yet processed, and friends do not exist.

Pastebin of Death

United Imperial States

Ever played the Fallout-series? This is what would have happened if the Humans of the Fallout-universe had been giant insects instead. Food for thought. My notes for this one say "America, in SPACE". Does that make sense for you?

Lore:
The Lathians suffered a lot throughout their long, violent history. Their once blooming world is now a scorched wreck, blasted by multiple nuclear wars. But still they preservere. May your gods have mercy on you if you ever meet them.

Pastebin of AMERICA

Note on mods:

Some of these empires need Cybrxkhan's namelist mod and the foxes use a cosmetic mod you can safely ignore. As I've been told, adding the empires in so they will spawn as random empires makes it possible to ignore what kind of DLC they came from, so go nuts. Playing is probably another matters, so here's the list of DLC I used:

-Everything plant-related: Plantoid Pack
-Machine Empires equal Synthetic Dawn
-The plant empire above is a hive mind, also: Utopia
-The Humanoid ship set is used for the machine empire: It's of course from the Humanoid Pack.

So, I think that should be everything you need to know.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Not being able to declare war against people you are not immediate neighbors with sucks. I could go on about why that is but I just changed it by downloading a mod. :toot:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there an advantage now that the building to go 45 energy: 30 minerals exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

Is there an advantage now that the building to go 45 energy: 30 minerals exists?

Oh right, I should've remembered that because I filled up a hab with those and flicked them on/off as needed. Those things own.