Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

spearhead and claim poo poo instead of being passive, gotcha

resume-driven development :v:

other advice for taking my career seriously? aside from "do your job well"

make an effort to fit in with the team, in just a really general basic way

like your last job didn't sound good, but I strongly suspect it could have worked out better if you'd just been more proactive and communicative about hours and expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I'm interviewing some people this week :ohdear:

in general I love interviewing and think I'm pretty okay at it, but it's been probably 2 years at this point since I've been on the interviewer side of things, so probably a little rusty

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

make an effort to fit in with the team, in just a really general basic way

like your last job didn't sound good, but I strongly suspect it could have worked out better if you'd just been more proactive and communicative about hours and expectations.

yeah the fact that my last job was remote really didnt help with communication, aside from the fact that communication was all around garbo there

definitely gonna be making sure i fit in well

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im happy at current job, but still think im underpaid for all the stuff i do and how well i do it (compared to others around me)

i already know from experience than i am better than a lot of people ive worked with that have 3/4/5 times the experience i do

main problem is convincing other people of this in an interview scenario

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Valeyard posted:

im happy at current job, but still think im underpaid for all the stuff i do and how well i do it (compared to others around me)

i already know from experience than i am better than a lot of people ive worked with that have 3/4/5 times the experience i do

don't worry about interviews, they're an extremely two-way filter

90% of interviews you fail are for jobs that would be bad for you for some reason or another -- it's simple to fall in the trap of "all jobs are good, i am poo poo, if i fail an interview it just means i really am poo poo" but that's total BS. sure there's 10% of interviews you fail because you're having an off day, or the job would be good but the interviewer isn't, but for the most part its not that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

don't worry about interviews, they're an extremely two-way filter

90% of interviews you fail are for jobs that would be bad for you for some reason or another -- it's simple to fall in the trap of "all jobs are good, i am poo poo, if i fail an interview it just means i really am poo poo" but that's total BS. sure there's 10% of interviews you fail because you're having an off day, or the job would be good but the interviewer isn't, but for the most part its not that

imo its pretty easy to attribute failed interviews to "whatever it wasnt good for me anyway" but theres cases (me) where the failed interviews are just because of personal failure/inexperience/lack of skills so i dont think it applies *everywhere* and id be wary of discounting your role in it

but in general yes

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

imo its pretty easy to attribute failed interviews to "whatever it wasnt good for me anyway" but theres cases (me) where the failed interviews are just because of personal failure/inexperience/lack of skills so i dont think it applies *everywhere* and id be wary of discounting your role in it

but in general yes

If you failed the interview because you lacked the experience and skills they wanted, that is exactly failing because it wasn't good for you.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also one recruiter telling me "you cant ask for that much, the people interviewing you probably arent making that much" lol

and the amount of "you need to move to london, anywhere else is just a dead end" lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah i've not met a recruiter around here that won't just balk then ignore you unless you significantly undervalue yourself

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

maybe the problem is our hosed up wealth inequality and capitalistic society

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ever think of that

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lol if u think

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yes yes we all have but that's not the discussion at hand.

If you're a remote worker I would recommend using video chat as often as possible. Even if it's for a 30 second question. Just make sure the other party or parties is cool with it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KoRMaK posted:

Yes yes we all have but that's not the discussion at hand.

If you're a remote worker I would recommend using video chat as often as possible. Even if it's for a 30 second question. Just make sure the other party or parties is cool with it

yeah when i worked remote (wouldnt recommend it btw unless you have to) video chat helped a lot

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
okay friends, life circumstances have taken a turn for the poo poo for me and i need to go find different employment. i still have my current job, but this place is wobbling like a penguin and i should get out now while i still can. i have a couple months before the wheels pop off the cart, so it isn't as if I'll be on the street if i don't find a job tomorrow, but there is pressure.

my problem is that i have no loving idea how to go about this or where i would fit in. i can code python some, i feel like i could pass your average coding interview based on my experiences & practice with sample quizzes, but i have no degree and any professional experience is stuff that I've just blarneyed together.

halp.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ultravoices posted:

okay friends, life circumstances have taken a turn for the poo poo for me and i need to go find different employment. i still have my current job, but this place is wobbling like a penguin and i should get out now while i still can. i have a couple months before the wheels pop off the cart, so it isn't as if I'll be on the street if i don't find a job tomorrow, but there is pressure.

my problem is that i have no loving idea how to go about this or where i would fit in. i can code python some, i feel like i could pass your average coding interview based on my experiences & practice with sample quizzes, but i have no degree and any professional experience is stuff that I've just blarneyed together.

halp.

welcome friend

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Valeyard posted:

Thats the good poo poo right there. I’d recommend lowering your “working on work” time so youre only 10% better than everyone else, and then spending the rest of your time gaining knowledge on other technologies to improve your own personal value

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ok so professional advice time: i accepted an offer today, but i am also open to other opportunities/positions in the area that might be good for me as well. im going to continue interviewing. if it turns out that i get offered something more compelling, is it okay to renege on the previous offer? since further negotiation for that one isnt possible from what i can tell

no take-backs? or everything goes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you said what you wanted, if someone else gives you that you go with them

like imagine this is literally any other business relationship. if we bid at 100/widget and someone else comes in at 90 you don’t get mad at the customer you lost

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

true, but the timing is the question. can you still do that after accepting an offer?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unless you sign something that has penalties attached

ps if they have you sign something with penalties attached don’t

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lemme check

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
it's at will employment. anything goes, legally. it is possible but unlikely that this will have industry repercussions. don't make it a habit (i.e. don't let this jumping around show up on your resume) but you can do anything you want here in hell country

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nope nothin

the nature of at will employment makes this a two-way street such that i can leave at any time too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

alright welp if a more compelling offer comes my way in the next couple weeks i might take it but ive got this one as a backup at least

yay

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
we have had people accept offers with us, their start date comes, they dont show up, no call/email/text whatever

its a pain in the rear end but whjatever. time to find someone else to fill the position

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Congrats Pollyanna

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pollyanna posted:

true, but the timing is the question. can you still do that after accepting an offer?

do you have memory problems or something because this has been plainly explained to you multiple times but you keep coming back to it. it’s really really annoying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a goon with a severe anxiety issue?

in yospos?

:monocle:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rex-Goliath posted:

do you have memory problems or something because this has been plainly explained to you multiple times but you keep coming back to it. it’s really really annoying

it’s entirely possible and if it happens ignore me

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

not always the case anymore, you need to read the fine print on the enrollment papers

i thought a contract signed drunk dosn't count? op said they're in college

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

it’s entirely possible and if it happens ignore me

You’ve been told the same thing repeatedly across like three threads, there’s no way that you’re unaware of this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

You’ve been told the same thing repeatedly across like three threads, there’s no way that you’re unaware of this

well then i find it hard to believe until its been proven!!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
what are the yosposter approved resources for studying data structures?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Internet

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Half-Life 1 compiled .bsp's

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dongslayer. posted:

Eyes, school

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dongslayer. posted:

the last cheap answer is clrs: https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

only as a refresher, it's hell trying to self teach new material out of that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
tbh i would say take the job, but then also don't start off immediately disgruntled and spend all your time on prep for other interviews so you can chase a higher salary. you need to dedicate most of your resources to onboarding at your new job, otherwise they will notice how disengaged you are, and you'll be out of there in 3 weeks as a "mistake hire who just wasn't a good fit and didn't work out". now you're right back where you started but with a perfectly good offer burned. give the job a chance, who knows, you might like it