Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

:( i still feel like 12's combat was the least worst system, mechanically speaking.

it requires just the right amount of player input. trash enemies auto-die but you absolutely need to take control during the more difficult fights and pretty much all the postgame content.

The FF13 combat system was better in every single way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

It's unfair to call it an open world rpg when that's like 40% of it

Meh, it’s where you’ll spend most of the time. The linear parts are like, 5 hours?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm really, really glad XV isn't in the XIII universe. I mean XV has its own share of confusing bits in the lore, but it's way more understandable than any of the XIII games.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm really, really glad XV isn't in the XIII universe. I mean XV has its own share of confusing bits in the lore, but it's way more understandable than any of the XIII games.

Very superficially it is, having been Versus XIII at some point. Noct is basically a l'cie doing the will of the gods and what not but that's about where it ends in the product we got. For the best imo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Reveal it you cowards

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BrightWing posted:

Very superficially it is, having been Versus XIII at some point. Noct is basically a l'cie doing the will of the gods and what not but that's about where it ends in the product we got. For the best imo.

Every time I hear FFXIII terminology I want to introduce my head to my desk, so severing that was very much for the best.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Reveal it you cowards

I would play the hell out of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've never played Mystic Quest but one of the FFVI hacks I played had music from all sorts of different things. I was thinking back to one of my favorite pieces and I looked at the in-game Music Player and saw that it was an arrangement of MQ's Battle Theme.

So while it's not quite the same as the actual battle theme, MQ's Battle Theme is definitely now one of my favorites in the series. Maybe I should play MQ some time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've never played Mystic Quest but one of the FFVI hacks I played had music from all sorts of different things. I was thinking back to one of my favorite pieces and I looked at the in-game Music Player and saw that it was an arrangement of MQ's Battle Theme.

So while it's not quite the same as the actual battle theme, MQ's Battle Theme is definitely now one of my favorites in the series. Maybe I should play MQ some time.

https://youtu.be/pWMx19ZKeAA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The FF13 combat system was better in every single way.

13 and 12 both focus on strategic control instead of tactical control, but 13 feels like too much has been streamlined while trying to cover that with artificial player involvement (making you pick Auto-Whatever constantly whenever you're not switching paradigm, with maybe the occasional item). Also 13 returned to having separate battle scenes, which is a really bizarre design decision when you're no longer working under the crushing technical limitations of the old 2D consoles. It's a very artificial contrivance that hurts immersion, especially when 13 has you engaging specific enemy pods wandering around the environment anyway.

In 12 yeah your basic gambit stack is always going to be some variation of Rez > Heal > Destatus > Buff > Debuff > Attack, but the exact nature of that stack is going to be tweaked depending on the area you're going through. For instance, are the enemies in the area going to occasionally slam you with a cocktail of status effects, or are they going to constantly spam Blind? That's going to inform your choices. Are you predominantly facing physical or magical attacks? You're going to auto-cast Protect or Shell depending on that, and you don't want to waste time or MP on the one that isn't going to help you. Are there a lot of assholes casting Reflect on themselves? Stick an Enemy Status = Reflect: Attack on top of your black mage's stack or you're going to barbecue yourself to death very quickly. Are you going through an area like Feywood or Giruvegan where enemies will Berserk themselves and gently caress your poo poo up? Roll in with Protect and set Enemy Status = Berserk: Dispel on your white mage. Sparse areas with tough gangs of enemies (e.g. Pharos Subterra) might call for a Ally / 3+ Foes Present: Hastega on your time mage and Ally / 3+ Foes Present: Protectga on your white mage so that your squad shifts into high gear when a big clump of enemies rolls around but doesn't constantly burn MP maintaining useless buffs otherwise. Lot of traps? Ally / Any: Float on your time mage. And of course if you're going through an area where you're overlevelled on your way to a difficult area then you don't need to care and you can just brute force your way past everything with a generic Revive > Heal > Attack stack.

FF13 doesn't really have any of that and it still demands you mash X through trash fights for no reason.

The Roblon hunt in FF12 otoh is a fantastic example of a situation where you need to actually go in with a coherent strategy or you're just going to get your poo poo pushed in by mr bone's wild ride

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 28, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

13 and 12 both focus on strategic control instead of tactical control, but 13 feels like too much has been streamlined while trying to cover that with artificial player involvement (making you pick Auto-Whatever constantly whenever you're not switching paradigm, with maybe the occasional item). Also 13 returned to having separate battle scenes, which is a really bizarre design decision when you're no longer working under the crushing technical limitations of the old 2D consoles. It's a very artificial contrivance that hurts immersion, especially when 13 has you engaging specific enemy pods wandering around the environment anyway.

In 12 yeah your basic gambit stack is always going to be some variation of Rez > Heal > Destatus > Buff > Debuff > Attack, but the exact nature of that stack is going to be tweaked depending on the area you're going through. For instance, are the enemies in the area going to occasionally slam you with a cocktail of status effects, or are they going to constantly spam Blind? That's going to inform your choices. Are you predominantly facing physical or magical attacks? You're going to auto-cast Protect or Shell depending on that, and you don't want to waste time or MP on the one that isn't going to help you. Are there a lot of assholes casting Reflect on themselves? Stick an Enemy Status = Reflect: Attack on top of your black mage's stack or you're going to barbecue yourself to death very quickly. Are you going through an area like Feywood or Giruvegan where enemies will Berserk themselves and gently caress your poo poo up? Roll in with Protect and set Enemy Status = Berserk: Dispel on your white mage. Sparse areas with tough gangs of enemies might call for a Ally / 3+ Foes Present: Hastega on your time mage and Ally / 3+ Foes Present: Protectga on your white mage so that your squad shifts into high gear when a big clump of enemies rolls around but doesn't constantly burn MP maintaining useless buffs otherwise. Lot of traps? Ally / Any: Float on your time mage. And of course if you're going through an area where you're overlevelled on your way to a difficult area then you don't need to care and you can just brute force your way past everything with a generic Revive > Heal > Attack stack.

FF13 doesn't really have any of that and it still demands you mash X through trash fights for no reason.

The Roblon hunt in FF12 otoh is a fantastic example of a situation where you need to actually go in with a coherent strategy or you're just going to get your poo poo pushed in by mr bone's wild ride

Uh, ff13 does all of that. You just switch paradigms depending on the enemy. It's even more involved as you are going to try and stagger most enemies, unless you can shut them down completely with status effects. I guess you could equate your gambit stack to your paradigm set up, but ff13 is still much better than 12 in that sense.

I will agree with you that ff13 is more streamlined, but it's also a better and more active combat system. If an enemy is weak to fire and physical, your ravagers will automatically use the appropriate move without you having to change up your gambits.

The only time I have ever had to gently caress with gambits was for the harder hunts. The rest of the game is 100% easy mode even without power leveling.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is only something i can remember being a problem in XIII-2 but not having control of where your characters move is very annoying. Sometimes a movewill hit you, sometimes it won't, it's completely based on your character just wobbling about randomly.

I can't recall if this was an issue in XIII. Was it?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This is only something i can remember being a problem in XIII-2 but not having control of where your characters move is very annoying. Sometimes a movewill hit you, sometimes it won't, it's completely based on your character just wobbling about randomly.

I mean I guess it happened but I don't remember losing any fights over it so eh who cares

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sapozhnik posted:

I just did that one. Sooooooooooo many skeletons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

It was potentially an issue, but you could kinda circumvent that by say, including more casters like Vanille/Hope. Melee/caster hybrids like Lightning/Sazh are more difficult to predict, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

You couldn't control your positioning in 13. Some enemies would definitely become more challenging if they were hitting two or three of your party members with an aoe as opposed to just one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It happens in XIII often and predictably enough that you can learn to time when to make characters begin attack strings early to dodge/cancel enemy attacks. The thing is given your lack of control and the game being built around lacking that control knowing how to do that or, hell, early executing your attacks in general is completely unnecessary. If they wanted to fix the problem completely paradigms would refresh your party members into certain positions and then youd have all the control your ever need.

FFXIII combat rules except for its two glaring flaws of auto lose on leader death and that loving cutscene in battle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ffxv on pc next week dawgs get hype motherfuckers

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Actually the dumb part is the mobile version wasn’t like this and they just patched it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ffxv on pc next week dawgs get hype motherfuckers

Thanks for the mouthful..

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried the FF15 Demo and actually this runs very well - didn’t fiddle with settings yet but 1080p 60fps on a gtx 970 which I didn’t expect. Maybe it gets worse during like summons

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I tried the FF15 Demo and actually this runs very well - didn’t fiddle with settings yet but 1080p 60fps on a gtx 970 which I didn’t expect. Maybe it gets worse during like summons

You gonna see maybe 5 tops without going out of your way, so it's not an issue

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah same setup and I'm very impressed. Beautiful game too

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Assuming they fix the bugs the only thing worse about the remake are the graphics and those are a matter of taste.
At the very least it makes it possible to get all the weapon orbs now.

Yeah once the bugs are fixed it's definitely worth getting for $20 or so.

Alxprit posted:

The SoM remake is perfectly competent and there was a lot of love and work put into it despite what you may think on a surface level. The only things worth complaining about are extremely subjective.

Eh crashes and various graphical and sound bugs are very much objective problems.

Mr. Locke posted:

The SoM remake just has the misfortune of being a straight mechanical port of a game that kinda desperately needed a genuine remake. It needed some stuff fleshed out or added like the Lunar Palace. It needed combat tweaked a bit a lot. It needed animations to match up with hitboxes going both for the party and for enemies. It needed EXP numbers for weapons and especially spells adjusted. It got none of that and it just kinda comes of as really goddamn janky as a result.

It's a good game for people who want to play a port of Secret of Mana, but it's a bit of a failure as a $40 remake of Secret of Mana

And this is true too, if you don't just want "a pretty janky even for it's time SNES game but prettier" it's not really a good buy. I mean I loved it then and still do so prettier SoM is fine, but I also devour Eurojank RPGs so my standards for dealing with busted gameplay systems if they do things I find interesting are kinda weird.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Christ.

I'm not sure what's going on here. It looks like rather than scaling the entire screen in post, they've scaled each tile individually with filter, disregarding the fact that pixels on the edge of tiles would react differently to the filter if there was a bordering pixel present, leading to the tiling issues along the top and left. And it looks like there might've been brightness normalisation going on there too making them all different brightness? And I'm pretty sure the active sprites were upscaled with a different filter to the background sprites.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In FFXII, I know guns are generally trash. Are handbombs any good? Or is it just bows as the only decent ranged weapon. (What about crossbows?)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 28, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You gonna see maybe 5 tops without going out of your way, so it's not an issue

Oh I'm aware I played this on release on a normal PS4. I just remember that on the normal PS4 sometimes the framerate was ok and sometimes it really felt like 10 FPS - I saw on explanation online about how it's actually running close to 30 FPS but the inconsistency of how long a frame is actually displayed makes it feel much lower.

But between how much they added to the actual game, and getting all the DLC and whatever else they added to this version, and having a version of this that actually runs like a proper game I think I might like to replay it at some point.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MikeJF posted:

In FFXII, I know guns are generally trash. Are handbombs any good? Or is it just bows as the only decent ranged weapon. (What about crossbows?)

Nah they're bad. They are kinda like axes in that they have a wide damage range and scale with str/vit but they are underpowered on top of being ranged. Crossbows are like Bows but faster with less damage and don't scale with the speed stat. A little worse than Bows mainly because they just don't have as powerful end game weapon selection.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Spears are also “ranged”, at least as far as hitting flying enemies is concerned, afaik.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
This thread gets really weird about 13's battle transition screens and I don't get why. Even my other casual RPG nerd friends don't give a poo poo about battle transitions, and there's still other jRPGs coming out these days that still have battle transitions. It really doesn't matter at all if you can wait 4 seconds.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not any realistic issue in 13. Any large or important enemy is almost always super big or slow to where this isn't an issue. And the amount of small enemies that could even remotely come close to doing it reliably can be counted on one hand, and they're all too weak for this to make a difference.

The closest it is to a problem is when you have low stats/no upgraded equipment (aka No crystarium runs or speedruns), and even then the amount of boss fights this can apply to are also countable on one hand.

It's also not an issue in 13-2 for pretty much the exact same reason. You've never died or lost a battle because of this; if you did it's probably because you just were setup wrong or (most commonly from when I see others play) you just didn't play well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
13 and 13-2 are too easy to be fun.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

13 and 13-2 are too easy to be fun.

I mean, that's any Final Fantasy then. XIII is the hardest main-line Final Fantasy game since V. By, like, a good amount. Definitely in the main quest, debatedly in the bonus content (X's Arena is probably harder but gently caress the colossal grind just to access stuff in X's arena.)

But that's generally the problem with most Final Fantasy combat systems, isn't it? They give you plenty of tools you never really need because the lowest common denominator is usually good enough. At least XIII is going to loving stomp your poo poo in during the back half if you don't actually use Sentinel/Saboteur/Synergist,

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm actually curious if you can beat FF13 using only combinations of COM/RAV/MED now.

It certainly wouldn't be fun and it would definitely defeat the whole drat point of the battle system by ignoring the parts that make it interesting, but I'm curious if it's actually feasible or if there's some fights that would be impossible otherwise.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Spears are also “ranged”, at least as far as hitting flying enemies is concerned, afaik.

Poles too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

I'm actually curious if you can beat FF13 using only combinations of COM/RAV/MED now.

It certainly wouldn't be fun and it would definitely defeat the whole drat point of the battle system by ignoring the parts that make it interesting, but I'm curious if it's actually feasible or if there's some fights that would be impossible otherwise.

Can't you beat the game with no upgrades? Should be possible if you're just maxed out.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

That's how lots of people tried to play it then complained that the battle system sucks lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Late game bosses have timers where if you take too long you die and its a supe common complaint people have so the game is designed auch that eventually you cant win with just that setup

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF15 continues to be silly as poo poo and loving it

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

what even is FFXV anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was just thinking about picking up FFIX from steam but this CT stuff has me slightly leary all of a sudden, can anyone comment on the quality of that port?