Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hugo's gameplay is super boring, play as Yunica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

it is my undying video game shame that I got the Totally Fact Up achievement on Hugo without trying to or even realizing it existed :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yunica is the character that actually plays like ys usually plays, yes

also fact and the eyes of fact own and 'roll my eyes' is never a worthwhile criticism

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Endorph posted:

yunica is the character that actually plays like ys usually plays, yes

also fact and the eyes of fact own and 'roll my eyes' is never a worthwhile criticism

:rolleyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I get that it's the point but gently caress Into the Breach is hard

Yeah there's definitely a learning curve! First thing I have learned is to body-block when I can -- mech damage can be repaired in battle and doesn't matter after the fight but building damage is a permanent loss so I need to set my priorities straight

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hey I'm sorry that a dumb character name makes me roll my eyes every time I hear it. I couldn't remember which character had been recommended for a first playthrough, and traditional Ys gameplay means using a weapon with almost no reach in a game with no ability to heal mid-fight. I thought Hugo would spice up the gameplay but he wound up feeling like a fish out a water.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

suuma posted:

What's everybody gonna play in March?

I've got to finish Ringed City and then I'll be done with DkS3 and then it's on to Monster Hunter, maybe i'll finish the Witcher 3 by the end of the year :v:

From a few pages back, but keep in mind that there is more to Ringed City than initially appears. You can blast through it in an hour, or you can spend a few hours delving into the weird semi-hidden stuff once you get to the city.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
On a more positive note, I picked up my Cosmic Star Heroine save after a couple months and dropped about 6 hours into it. It's really something special. I've written about the battle system here before, and how it's kind of a dance between buffs and attacks that capitalize on turns that give an extra boost, but now I have a party of like 9 characters with a few more to come and I'm continually surprised with how well the characters are built. Since you can only have seven abilities equipped for each character, you have to think about how those abilities will benefit each other and come up with an outline for what that character will be doing. Then you think about who else will be in the party, and how those skills can benefit the other characters, or how they can play off of one another. Then you think about the enemies you're facing (I guess you should do this first) and make sure you can capitalize on weaknesses.

For example, there's a character who starts with two abilities that kill himself and one that, when cast, will buff other party members while he is dead. In a game where revival skills are rare, this seems like a joke character, right? But another character has an ability to revive that fits under the blanket of Gunmancy, and has another ability that increases with power every for every spent Gunmancy ability. So you could kill the first guy, then revive him, and now that Gunmancy attack will always be a little stronger without having to spend another Gunmancy ability. Then the guy learns a buff that will prevent him from dying, which means you can do the first combo quickly and then have him cast the buff and self-destruct over and over. This is a really minor combo in the scheme of things, but it's ina turn based RPG that does combos like this way better than anything else I've seen. Most RPGs with a combo system revolve around casting abilities with certain elements after one another. And, in a way, I guess that's what's going on here too. It's just done in such a way that I feel like I'm always discovering a new way to use abilities.

I don't know if that was a bunch of dumb word salad or not. I just wanted to say something upbeat about a game after ragging on Ys.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

From a few pages back, but keep in mind that there is more to Ringed City than initially appears. You can blast through it in an hour, or you can spend a few hours delving into the weird semi-hidden stuff once you get to the city.

This is good info, thanks. I feel like I beat Ashes really quickly (maybe 5 hours?)

I definitely want to come back to DkS3 in the future and do other builds but there's so much to plaaaay :kingsley:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shot in the dark but did anyone here read the Elemental: War of Magic tie in novel?

Maybe it's like FTL where they named normal mode easy.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Blasting through the Ringed City in an hour would be hard as hell on your first playthrough tho.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe it's like FTL where they named normal mode easy.

The normal mode of FTL isn't really hard once you know what you're doing though. Its pretty easy to win consistently.

Just equip whatever that game's equivalent of the flak canon is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Just wanted to post this good statue of a good cat.

RIP Dewey Readmore Books.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wouldn't it be really funny if housemarque's next game was a battle royale ripoff

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I ask because I'm working under the assumption that all games in 2018 are battle royale games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

there's a character who starts with two abilities that kill himself

Right, I'm going to need some context on this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't wait for Nintendo to reveal Pikmin Battle Grounds at E3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I would actually want to play that, this is hosed up

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I would actually want to play that, this is hosed up

That’s how you know you’re a nintendrone

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just realized if I con my wife into letting me get a PS3 so we can continue the Yakuza story after we finish Kiwami 1+2, I will have a machine that can play MGS1-4 as well as SMTIV:Nocturne on it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

suuma posted:

What's everybody gonna play in March?

I've got to finish Ringed City and then I'll be done with DkS3 and then it's on to Monster Hunter, maybe i'll finish the Witcher 3 by the end of the year :v:

Bayonetta 2 and my main man Kirby!!

And maybe dq builders...

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm finally getting around to playing Stardew Valley. I'm a huge fan of life-sim games, but I never really jived with Harvest Moon (though I love Rune Factory!) for whatever reason, so I wasn't sure what to expect

So far it's a charming game that's clearly made with love... but boy do I have Some Problems with it. Mostly I'm surprised how a game this rough around the edges came to be so successful and universally praised

It feels like I'm constantly at odds with the controls and interface. Even simple actions like "drink this coffee" take way longer than it should

I'm also bummed out at the villager interactions. I'm only on day 13 but already I'm seeing tons of repeated dialog. For example, every time it rains the villagers all have the *exact* same dialog. There's no quicker way for me to check out mentally than repetitious dialog in game about social interaction :(

I'm still going to keep at it as there's clearly a lot of good stuff as well, but it's not making a great first impression on me

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

homeless snail posted:

I ask because I'm working under the assumption that all games in 2018 are battle royale games

I was a little surprised we didn't get a Battle Royale mode in the most recent DLC pack that released this past week, but this might explain why Apocalypse's release was a wet fart. They might have scrapped a BR mode and set it aside for a sequel.

I'd play a Battle Royale battlefield, especially since it would give DICE a limited scope to focus their efforts on instead of a dozen+ game modes that get summarily abandoned a week after release - RIP Frontlines. BF4 and BF0 were both excellent despite a few boneheaded decisions out of DICE.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fun fact: Nintendo encouraged screen watching in the Mario Kart manual.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
After not being in the mood to play it for a few weeks, I've jumped back into SotC and game still rules but that jank I kind of liked when I originally played it is really felt now. The few times you need to get a Colossus to do a thing can be torture and worse than anything I ever put up with in TLG. It's also weird how it's mostly feels way easier, probably because I thin I only really started getting okay at video games last gen, despite playing them my whole life. It's also amazing how few of the Colossi I remember, though I'm down to the last 4 and I think I remember all of them pretty well (the other flying one, the small wild one, the rear end in a top hat one and the last one).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Propaganda Hour posted:

I was a little surprised we didn't get a Battle Royale mode in the most recent DLC pack that released this past week, but this might explain why Apocalypse's release was a wet fart. They might have scrapped a BR mode and set it aside for a sequel.

I'd play a Battle Royale battlefield, especially since it would give DICE a limited scope to focus their efforts on instead of a dozen+ game modes that get summarily abandoned a week after release - RIP Frontlines. BF4 and BF0 were both excellent despite a few boneheaded decisions out of DICE.

I think it's most likely that the next BF game will retain Conquest along with a BR mode. I kind of doubt Apocalypse was going to have one considering I assume they had all the DLC scoped and budgeted long before PUBG was a thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they had to pull the yakuza 6 demo because there was a bug that allowed you to unlock the full game for free lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm so glad I waited till now to play Ys 8. The new localization is miles better and now I can appreciate how fantastic this game is without constantly being distracted by the bad dialogue.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

they had to pull the yakuza 6 demo because there was a bug that allowed you to unlock the full game for free lmao

The demo disc for Keio Flying Squadron was the full game that ended after the first level but if you level skipped to 2 you could complete it. Cheapest way to get a $1,000 video game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Pikmin Universal Battle Gourds

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Looper posted:

Bayonetta 2 and my main man Kirby!!

And maybe dq builders...

Excuse me but I think you'll find that Kirby is a formless blob devoid of gender, much like myself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

WarpDogs posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Stardew Valley. I'm a huge fan of life-sim games, but I never really jived with Harvest Moon (though I love Rune Factory!) for whatever reason, so I wasn't sure what to expect

So far it's a charming game that's clearly made with love... but boy do I have Some Problems with it. Mostly I'm surprised how a game this rough around the edges came to be so successful and universally praised

It feels like I'm constantly at odds with the controls and interface. Even simple actions like "drink this coffee" take way longer than it should

I'm also bummed out at the villager interactions. I'm only on day 13 but already I'm seeing tons of repeated dialog. For example, every time it rains the villagers all have the *exact* same dialog. There's no quicker way for me to check out mentally than repetitious dialog in game about social interaction :(

I'm still going to keep at it as there's clearly a lot of good stuff as well, but it's not making a great first impression on me

I will probably have to start playing Stardew Valley soon myself; Into the Breach is great fun but it's not exactly a long term commitment for me, I don't think

I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like the default character art in SV much, so I'll probably look at replacements since I'm inevitably gonna mod it anyway for in-game wikilike stuff

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, we still don't what kind of game Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A FPS metroidvania.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

homeless snail posted:

This is such an absurd story, I love it so much! It's like some urban legend you'd hear back in the 90s, only it's actually true

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stardew valley isn't pretty and you can only talk to the people like twice a day. but.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaBNr6zv0ek

ahhhhhh that's good

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I would actually like to see what Nintendo would do with a Battle Royale game. I mean after applying their alien logic to team based shooters they created Splatoon so who knows what would happen

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm so glad I waited till now to play Ys 8. The new localization is miles better and now I can appreciate how fantastic this game is without constantly being distracted by the bad dialogue.

RIP Archaeozoic Big Hole the best name ever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gently caress, all I have is a "pause/break" key but I'm at work right now smashing space.

• Locked thread