Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/950819119787540480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Bout to watch this orchestra play the songs of my childhood

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Mollymauk posted:

Bout to watch this orchestra play the songs of my childhood

I, too, saw the Acoustic Bandits.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeffrosenstock/status/952427781018791937

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fury of the Aquabats stuff (vinyl/cd/pins/jackets/shirts) are finally up for preorder.

https://kingsroadmerch.com/the-aquabats/

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Super excited to see BOTAR tomorrow in LA! To celebrate, here's a video I put together of "rare" Streetlight songs/demos from old rear end live shows and whatnot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37V8nCPevJ0

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cheesegod posted:

Super excited to see BOTAR tomorrow in LA! To celebrate, here's a video I put together of "rare" Streetlight songs/demos from old rear end live shows and whatnot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37V8nCPevJ0

This is great, thanks for making it! One thing I like about Streetlight is how much their songs change as they're being worked on, so it's fun to find early versions as they can often feel like entirely different songs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

rise from yo grave (closeted ska fans)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No Reel Big Fish???

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bowmore posted:

No Reel Big Fish???

And more!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goddamn, that's a solid line-up. I'd be there if weren't on the other side of the world.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The classic ska feeling going to a festival with no interest in the headliners, just the support acts.

For the east coasters:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

For some reason I thought Kill Lincoln broke up. Stoked to see that I'm wrong though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

based on how little this thread updates anymore i assume this is the only new ska album this year

https://open.spotify.com/album/2d3bKYCanqVjskG15DmXWw

As long as Dan P and the Bricks keep releasing music, slow gherkin is never officially dead

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Spaced God posted:

For some reason I thought Kill Lincoln broke up. Stoked to see that I'm wrong though

From what I understand, at least one of the guys moved to California and started up a side band (it might have been multiple members, not sure). They were sort of on hiatus for a couple years due to that, but just the past few months they've started playing a couple shows here and there on the east coast. I'm not sure if everyone moved back or if they just get together for the shows or what. Regardless, they always are a blast, so any chance to see them play should be taken.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

lessthankyle posted:

The classic ska feeling going to a festival with no interest in the headliners, just the support acts.

For the east coasters:

I came here to post that show too! And yes, I mostly care about the first three acts, and Spring Heeled Jack. It'll be the first time I get to see High School Football Heroes, and it's at my favorite brewery! And the head brewer at said brewery used to play in No On 15, the ska punk band I saw all the time in college, and I'll be sure to continue to annoy him about a reunion show! I'm going to continue using exclamation points because I am very excited!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
oh man the mad caddies are acutally coming back to the east coast for the first time in forever :getin:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

oh man the mad caddies are acutally coming back to the east coast for the first time in forever :getin:

WHAT

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Saturday 05 May 2018
Austin, TX, US

Sunday 06 May 2018
Panther Island, Fort Worth, TX, US

Tuesday 08 May 2018
Virgin Mobile Mod Club, Toronto, ON, Canada

Wednesday 09 May 2018
Théâtre Corona, Montreal, QC, Canada

Thursday 10 May 2018
Imperial Bell, Quebec City, QC, Canada

Friday 11 May 2018
Lizard Lounge, Lancaster, PA, US

Saturday 12 May 2018
Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center, Richmond, VA, US

Sunday 13 May 2018
Festival Pier at Penn's Landing, Philadelphia, PA, US

Tuesday 15 May 2018
The Stanhope House, Stanhope, NJ, US

Wednesday 16 May 2018
Gramercy Theatre, New York, NY, US

Thursday 17 May 2018
Black Cat, Washington, DC, US

Friday 18 May 2018
House of Independents, Asbury Park, NJ, US

Saturday 19 May 2018
Campanelli Stadium, Brockton, MA, US

Sunday 20 May 2018
Highmark Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, US

Friday 01 June 2018
Bottom Lounge, Chicago, IL, US

some of those are with Bad Religion and NOFX. just got tickets for the show in NYC

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
Looks like I'll be at the Black Cat a couple times over the next few months, Kill Lincoln is playing there in April and Mad Caddies never come this way. Dirty Rice is a fantastic album, does anyone know how much new stuff vs. old stuff they play nowadays? Not that it really matters, I love every album they've made, just curious.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

ObsidianBeast posted:

Looks like I'll be at the Black Cat a couple times over the next few months, Kill Lincoln is playing there in April and Mad Caddies never come this way. Dirty Rice is a fantastic album, does anyone know how much new stuff vs. old stuff they play nowadays? Not that it really matters, I love every album they've made, just curious.

I saw the Mad Caddies the last time they were in Philly, which seemed recent, but apparently was 4 years ago. It was right after dirty rice came out, and I remember their set being a pretty good mix of old and new. Maybe a couple more songs off duck and cover, and few, if any, off of keep it going, but a bunch off dirty rice. I recall being pretty happy with the set list.

Also: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/bjpvk3/catch-22-keasbey-nights-thoughtful-20-year-anniverary-essay

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw recently that the guy who runs the Marco On the Bass blog is writing a book about the birth and origins of the American ska scene.

If anyone has even a passing interest in 2 Tone but hasn't read Horace Panter's autobiography Ska'd For Life, it's one I would heavily recommend.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
If anyone is looking for some new recommendations, or want to see how little progress ska band names have made, Mike Park asked for bands he might not know:

https://www.facebook.com/asianmanrecords/posts/10156030661480865

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone in/within driving range of Cleveland, The Slackers are playing at the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights tonight.

e: set was good but the crowd was terrible. One of the warmup acts was some lovely local Irish punk band (lovely even by Irish punk standards), whose crowd hung around after their set and was aggressively moshing and trying to start fights with everyone for the rest of the show.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 14, 2018

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

incoherent posted:

rise from yo grave (closeted ska fans)

Well now I wish I was going:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhrhZSOj7zG/?taken-by=theaquabats

Baron Von Tito is back for another night.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Weird that blink isn't playing, but that's a real nice lineup.

Edit: I know they aren't ska, but neither is loving 311.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lessthankyle posted:

Well now I wish I was going:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhrhZSOj7zG/?taken-by=theaquabats

Baron Von Tito is back for another night.

I saw some videos from another show he did recently with them and it’s so loving awesome to see him in costume and everything playing the old stuff.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

He's posted about represses of old stuff so many times over the years (especially Three Cheers), that I won't believe it until I actually can buy them.

Signed, someone that paid too much for a copy of Three Cheers this year.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Skeezy posted:

I saw some videos from another show he did recently with them and it’s so loving awesome to see him in costume and everything playing the old stuff.

Yeah, it made me insanely jealous. As soon as they announced the anniversary show, I just knew he'd be back for a part of it. I'm glad he's down for a few more.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

which one of you is this

https://twitter.com/TournRosenstock/status/992210393971019776?s=19

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
fateo maybe

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

saved y'all the time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So who else is going to see Streetlight play Keasbey Nights in a high school gym tomorrow night???

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Spaced God posted:

saved y'all the time

sorry we steal didn't win asob bracket, is bad

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It's supposed to look like this

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

holy poo poo jeff rosenstock is doing the music for Craig of the Creek?

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 5, 2018

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

So who else is going to see Streetlight play Keasbey Nights in a high school gym tomorrow night???

spoiler alert: they're all very good.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

nerve posted:

fateo maybe

I don't have time for this poo poo, I'm too busy focusing on this

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

lessthankyle posted:

spoiler alert: they're all very good.

Sup House of Independents buddy! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Well, that was fun, but I do think I've finally hit "too curmudgeonly to go to ska shows anymore."
e: I guess maybe it's just ska shows held on literally a high school campus so no booze and no smoking.