Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm excited to at least have The Clone Wars to binge through once Rebels finishes up. :)

You haven’t seen it yet? I’m jealous. Are you watching in release order or chronological order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

In case you were curious what the ever loving gently caress the guy above me was referring to.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Loved it, but I think I like the term Filoni used in Recon, "the place where there are stars," better than "a world between worlds." I think because the first makes the outsideness and mystic nature of the place primary, with the ability to travel something you can do there versus the second making the ability to travel the primary point. Just a personal feeling though.

Also, was it just me, or was the sound quality in the place (whatever you call it) very similar to the way sound cuts out and then gets echoey when Rey and Kylo connect with each other?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

PantsOptional posted:

All of the voices in the webway had a connection to the Force, right? I don’t remember all of them but I think that’s the case. So then it’s kind of interesting that one of them was Maz Kanata.

I'm disappointed they didn't throw in Salacious Crumb laughing to gently caress with people

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, these episodes were awesome. I'm a little worried about the potential opening of time travel that the EU could...not handle well. But it was handled well here, and I'm all about having Ahsoka back.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Bubbacub posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't throw in Salacious Crumb laughing to gently caress with people

gently caress now I want to edit those scenes and throw in a bunch of dumb clips.
“Now this is podracing!”

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Are you an angel?"

"I hate sand."

"I slaughtered them - LIKE ANIMALS."

"Let's try spinning, that's a good trick."

"In my opinion, the Jedi are evil."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“Yousa people gonna die!”

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
“You wanna buy some deathsticks?”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Well, this show was never very good unless it was borrowing leftover elements from Clone Wars that I had residual investment in, but at least it's getting a little weird here at the end. Gotta say I wasn't expecting a two-part Raiders of the Lost Ark nod at this point in the game.

I know the door is supposedly closed on the time travel shenanigans now, but boy that gives them a tempting out if they want to keep Ahsoka/Ezra alive while still explaining their absence in the OT era.

Also kind of weird that Thrawn would be totally absent in the one instant in the series where art was a relevant plot point when art is like his whole gimmick. Though if that's :thejoke:, then well done I guess.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 28, 2018

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

tsob posted:

I doubt it, simply because I can't see them using something in the movies that was introduced in one of the cartoons. They appear to be operating a one way street for that. Cartoons use stuff introduced in the movies, but not the other way around.

Which is exactly why they didn't have Chopper in Rogue One and a voiceover calling for General Syndulla.

Likewise why Saw Gerrera definitely wasn't in Rogue One.

General Dog posted:

Also kind of weird that Thrawn would be totally absent in the one instant in the series where art was a relevant plot point when art is like his whole gimmick. Though if that's :thejoke:, then well done I guess.

As we knew Thrawn had gone to Coruscant, I was definitely expecting it to be him communicating from there so was a nice surprise to have it be Palpatine.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PST posted:

Which is exactly why they didn't have Chopper in Rogue One and a voiceover calling for General Syndulla.

None of this is any more than easter eggs.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

PST posted:

Those were minor, barely noticeable cameos.

PST posted:

This is a fairer point, but there's little significant about Saw that makes it necessary for him to be the same as the character from The Clone Wars, aside from just wanting to tie it in to something that already exists. If he was called anything else nothing would be lost, and nobody would be complaining about how his character is obviously the same as that one guy from that one arc in that one cartoon show. (Also, if I'm remembering this right, they thought up the character for Rogue One first before deciding to tie him into the cartoon.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

General Dog posted:

Major character Saw Gerrera was an easter egg

cargohills posted:

(Also, if I'm remembering this right, they thought up the character for Rogue One first before deciding to tie him into the cartoon.)

Saw Gerrera first appeared on screen in September 2012, with the episode presumably having been written within 6 months prior. The Rogue One script wasn't started until 2014.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 28, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

Uhhh, have you watched Rogue One? Cause Saw was pretty important to that film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

jivjov posted:

Uhhh, have you watched Rogue One? Cause Saw was pretty important to that film.

Saw is important to the film, but his Clone Wars backstory was not important to the film, and one could easily watch Clone Wars and watched Rogue One and not realize he's the same character.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NTRabbit posted:

Saw Gerrera first appeared on screen in September 2012, with the episode presumably having been written within 6 months prior. The Rogue One script wasn't started until 2014.

The idea here isn't that Saw was created for Rogue One and then added to the show. It's that "Saw" (insert whatever placeholder name was used in the script here) the character was created for Rogue One, and they went back and linked him up to a similar character they already had in the show, in a "You can name him Saw, we have a character who's backstory links up pretty well." I would be extremely surprised if the writers on Rogue One came to the scripting stage and said, "I'd like to work in this character from the Clone Wars cartoon TV show I watch." That character BEING Saw is, in effect, an Easter Egg for fans of the TV show.

I'm not sure this has ever been confirmed, but either way, it would be extremely different than a writer now saying, "An episode of Star Wars Rebels opened the door for time travel, so now I feel fine using it in a movie." That is a major plot point introduced in a TV show moving up to the movies. Saw's name is not a major plot point, and it's not like they went into his history about his sister or anything.

That being said, I could see a screenwriter saying, "I want to use time travel in a Star Wars movie. Is that okay?" And someone from Lucasfilm saying, "Sure, we opened the door in previous canon, go for it." So I feel like we're largely arguing semantics.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

I mean they thought up the character for [Rebel Guerilla leader] and then decided to tie him into the cartoon by calling him Saw Gerrera.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, it's kind of a weird argument to make. Rogue One and every new piece of Star Wars media are not the first and only story in Star Wars. They build upon the existing material that came before. If they tie into something preexisting, they're making a connection whether it's a cameo or a major part.

We're not even that far into the new movies as of yet, they've mostly been in development since the same time Disney purged the old EU. Meaning there was not a whole lot of Disney era canon beyond the OT and Clone Wars (and the odd book or two). Rogue One was closely tied into an already explored era, and it was the first one to more directly tie in to still canon material. We already know Solo is doing this to some degree too with the planet references and Tag and Bink cameo.

This is obviously not "Lucasfilm decided to do an Ahsoka movie" level, but it's still making inroads.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

drunkill posted:

Dreadnought heavy cruisers are canon again, thanks Rebels, for bringing things back, even in the final episode.

Bonus ghost sneaking through the blockade.

I mean there’s no time to do it in rebels but this gives me hope that they will incorporate the katana fleet crisis into some future canon show or film, that was always one of my favorite bits of the thrawn trilogy and kind of on the spooky side for Star Wars

also personal crackpot theory based on latest episodes: the imperial academic guy who falls into the collapsing temple becomes snoke. ALL OF THAT KNOWLEDGE!!!

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 28, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

I mean there’s no time to do it in rebels but this gives me hope that they will incorporate the katana fleet crisis into some future canon show or film, that was always one of my favorite bits of the thrawn trilogy and kind of on the spooky side for Star Wars

also personal crackpot theory based on latest episodes: the imperial academic guy who falls into the collapsing temple becomes snoke. ALL OF THAT KNOWLEDGE!!!

The acquired knowledge will have to include the ability to grow to 9 feet tall

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Teek posted:

We already know Solo is doing this to some degree too with the [...] Tag and Bink cameo.

I’m sorry, what?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

What part? That you missed that being announced or you don't know who that is?

Either way, Lawerence Kasdan's son Jon, who is a co-writer on Solo, was a fan of the series. Which was a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern-esque comic series set in the Star Wars universe from the early 2000s. Jon and first assistant director Toby Hefferman will be cameoing as the duo in the movie. This was officially announced back during Ron Howard's social media flood during filming and we've seen shots of them in uniform.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I’m sorry, what?

https://twitter.com/JonKasdan/statu...mics-ron-howard

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Little late on the Blu ray talk but there are already OT Blu rays out there, or did Disney announce releasing them again?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tsob posted:

I doubt it, simply because I can't see them using something in the movies that was introduced in one of the cartoons. They appear to be operating a one way street for that. Cartoons use stuff introduced in the movies, but not the other way around.

Boba Fett would like a word with you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kingtheninja posted:

Little late on the Blu ray talk but there are already OT Blu rays out there, or did Disney announce releasing them again?

Yeah, I was a little confused about the comment earlier from someone saying Disney was dragging their heels on putting the OT out on BluRay. You can buy that now. Unless that person meant the unaltered versions, but they also said that maybe the reason they were dragging their heels was because they wanted to add in new alterations, so...that's not it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Isn't part of it that Fox still actually also owns the home distribution rights for the OT?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Isn't part of it that Fox still actually also owns the home distribution rights for the OT?

Part of what, though? You can buy the OT on BluRay today if you want to.

This was the OP on this:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Honestly wouldnt surprise me if the reason Disney is dragging rear end on OT blurays is because they want to CGI in some shots of Hera or Chopper somewhere during the attack briefing or insert the ghost flying around at endor.
Zeb can even get captured with Luke and go up to the deathstar to fist fight IG-88 or some poo poo.

And I don't get what this post means when it says they're dragging rear end on OT BluRays, because they already exist.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That's directed to people saying "Why doesn't Disney do X with the home release". It's not up to them to some extent. At this point I'm not sure what Fox can or can not change. This will apparently change if the Fox catalog purchase goes through.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

I would be extremely surprised if the writers on Rogue One came to the scripting stage and said, "I'd like to work in this character from the Clone Wars cartoon TV show I watch." That character BEING Saw is, in effect, an Easter Egg for fans of the TV show.

Yea, I'll be honest, I had entirely forgotten about Saw when making that statement but I wouldn't see him as any major indication either simply because there's very little about him that carries over between the two beyond his name and general role as a rebel. I vaguely recalled reading he was made up for Rogue One too, but that's obviously not true and reading up the Wikia it says that Lucas himself created the character for the cancelled live action show and that the Clone Wars re-used that before Rogue One reused what The Clone Wars had done. So the character is only kind of a Clone Wars cartoon character in the first place.

Madurai posted:

Boba Fett would like a word with you.

I wasn't aware the Holiday Special was a cartoon. Or that Disney ever had anything to do with it.

Teek posted:

That's directed to people saying "Why doesn't Disney do X with the home release". It's not up to them to some extent. At this point I'm not sure what Fox can or can not change. This will apparently change if the Fox catalog purchase goes through.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Lucas included a stipulation in the sale of Lucasarts to Disney that they could never make the prequel trilogy non-canon, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some contractual fuckery preventing them from releasing the original cuts of the first trilogy simply because Lucas prefers the newer cuts and doesn't want blurays of older ones coming out.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 28, 2018

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

tsob posted:

Wikia says that Lucas himself created the character for the cancelled live action show and that the Clone Wars re-used that before Rogue One reused what The Clone Wars had done. So the character is only kind of a Clone Wars cartoon character in the first place.
I’m not sure if this is a useful distinction to make. Lucas was involved in creating all the new characters in Clone Wars and the canceled live action show to some degree.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't Clone Wars use and expand on some EU characters like Quinlan Vos among others that had nothing to do with Lucas, and that while Lucas oversaw production of The Clone Wars and participated in much of the planning of it, Filoni and others running it made a lot of the characters themselves with minimal input from him?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

Didn't Clone Wars use and expand on some EU characters like Quinlan Vos among others that had nothing to do with Lucas, and that while Lucas oversaw production of The Clone Wars and participated in much of the planning of it, Filoni and others running it made a lot of the characters themselves with minimal input from him?

Yeah, though Lucas would occasionally step in and have a heavy hand in an episode or two here and there when he had an idea he wanted to play around with. Like the Mortis trilogy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

He also dumped a ton of money into it. I'm sure that and the rather involved hand he took in some story facets heavily influenced it being kept in the new canon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The worst part about these shows ending is always having to get through the first season of the next one until they develop a decent amount of assets to use.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tsob posted:

I wasn't aware the Holiday Special was a cartoon. Or that Disney ever had anything to do with it.

Fett's part of it was a cartoon, at any rate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2Q6ANLXQ0

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

The worst part about these shows ending is always having to get through the first season of the next one until they develop a decent amount of assets to use.

This is probably just a stupid question, but would anything have prevented them from staying with the same style/animation program/whatever from Clone Wars going into Rebels and reusing a lot of its assets?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

General Dog posted:

This is probably just a stupid question, but would anything have prevented them from staying with the same style/animation program/whatever from Clone Wars going into Rebels and reusing a lot of its assets?

My guess would be that they wouldn't be able to carry forward enough assets to offset the cost of the new ones they'd have to create at the same level of detail as the old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Phylodox posted:

My guess would be that they wouldn't be able to carry forward enough assets to offset the cost of the new ones they'd have to create at the same level of detail as the old ones.

So over the course of the series it was cheaper to build the lovely new "engine" (I don't know the correct term) for Rebels than it would have been to keep making new stuff and new episodes with the one from Clone Wars?

That's a shame, Clone Wars (especially toward the end) was gorgeous.

I never want to see Lothal again.

• Locked thread