Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

One thing I don’t quite grok yet is how to get the most out of the end game. I’ve never had a proper Babylon-5 style War in Heaven kick off, but I quite often get one FE awakening that then proceeds to kill the Prethoryn without me having a chance. I feel this is manageable but I’m not sure how.

Other question, how are people developing their empires in 2.0? I find it a lot harder now to get enough mineral and energy income to stay competitive in the endgame, particularly because all the coolest buildings seem to be limited to my homeworld, whereas I really want the research complex to be on science world, the stock market on energyworld and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Xenaero posted:

https://imgur.com/a/8f7hu

I wanted to disable default empires because I never used them, so in their place I decided to make 25 custom empires, which could all potentially spawn in my next run. I decided to share in case anyone wants some inspiration for their galactic neighborhood.

I didn't know how to share the empires at the time, but if anyone wants any of them, I've dumped my entire user_empire_designs.txt here: https://pastebin.com/BZUj2exE so enjoy! For those of you who are organizational freaks, you will greatly appreciate my ordering them by government authority.

Although now I got my sights set on making a empire for every possible government type, I don't know if I'll actually follow through as of yet, since I'd have to double my count and that is a lot to come up with.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have a plentitude of mods (most of which have been updated to 2.0, with some outdated graphic mods), and I can't seem to get my new games to load. They stay in the loading screen in perpetum. How can I fix this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turn your mods off, especially the out of date ones...

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018
It would be good, and cool, if Paradox added the API calls the Autobuild mod guy needs to make construction ships auto build outposts.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Even if Paradox doesn't add in automated constructors, you know what I would love? The option to choose between building all mining stations in a system or just a single one of your choice from the galaxy map, without needing to zoom in and hunt down the station you want when you don't have enough minerals to just build all.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tomn posted:

Even if Paradox doesn't add in automated constructors, you know what I would love? The option to choose between building all mining stations in a system or just a single one of your choice from the galaxy map, without needing to zoom in and hunt down the station you want when you don't have enough minerals to just build all.

there should be "build best mineral/energy/research" buttons for this, yes

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's not animated and doesn't have alternate colors but there is at least one picture and also a custom built namelist:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315761568

EDIT: If you want me to add your species to the Goon Pack, hit me up with a pastebin of the info from your user_empire_designs.txt.

Too bad about the not animated thing. Though I'd prefer the smaller Skaven anyways. Like this guy

I'm not done with my empires yet, and I haven't done quick backstory writeups for anyone yet, I'll share once I'm done with that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 28, 2018

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, after sinking quite a few hours into 2.0(+), I have some thoughts.

First, positives:
-Borders are a lot more easy to detect now, while it's still definitely possible to have blurred borders, having empires be two-colored like in Civilization 5 helps a bunch.

-Taking territory is pretty intuitive, I'm pretty happy with the claim system, both for general claiming, and also the "Claim enemy territory" system. Both work pretty well.

-Wars sort of make more sense now

-Influence gains much easier now

-Research under the new system doesn't seem to be stymied at all, if anything, I'm researching faster

And the negatives:
-Ship speed isn't just slow; it's asinine. It is L I T T L E M O N E Y . . . . . slow.

-Energy credits currently feel like they ought to be a bit more useful, but that's very minor

-gently caress Pirates. Not even talking about bubbles, here. Just regular ol' "Start near your borders" pirates. Ship speed is so god-awful slow by the time I get a fleet capable of taking on pirates TO the pirates, they've already pillaged several of my systems completely. Triply bad if they kill your constructor in the area, because you can only build constructors at colonies, That's just in game years of being without your resources, somehow, while you wait for a new constructor to slowly plod its way to your outskirts, hopefully no pirates spawn in the meantime, because hey, the thing that lets you claim territory and remove piracy is also the thing that loving pirates will respawn before it can get back to the area. COOL.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that if you get pirates in a system you might want to move your constructor away from them, and out away from any jump points.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Too bad about the not animated thing. Though I'd prefer the smaller Skaven anyways. Like this guy

I'm not done with my empires yet, and I haven't done quick backstory writeups for anyone yet, I'll share once I'm done with that.

I looked over the section on how to animate portraits and my eyes glazed over. It was hard enough finding a decent Skaven-ish picture to convert, much less tear apart and animate.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I looked over the section on how to animate portraits and my eyes glazed over. It was hard enough finding a decent Skaven-ish picture to convert, much less tear apart and animate.

Yeah, I once thought about that myself, but gave up on it. I'd rather wait for some other nerd to do it. I am somewhat surprised that no one's figured out a way to do Skaven or 40k Orks yet, really, what kind of nerds are these? Possibly there just isn't enough decent pictures and stuff out there to get you started or the priorities of the guys who actually make decent portraits are all messed up.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sharing races?

Left in the background because it felt appropriate :kheldragar:

e: My plan with these guys is to 'help' whatever crisis spawns and intentionally cause the End of the Cycle.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 28, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just explored my first wormhole as UNE and the other end is in a pathetic, one planet/10 systems civ, who's like 3 tech levels behind me and maybe a fleet cap that's 1/4th of my fleet strength; I suspect they were a pre-FTL that randomly evolved to space age at some point. They're 10-15 jumps away from any other empire, so they were happily claiming their territory unimpeded.

Naturally, I brought democracy to their space and claimed + conquered half of it in a quick war.

Thinking about it from their point of view: they're a newly spacefaring race who's just begun to expand and looking to colonize, when one day out of that strange wormhole out comes an invasion force with impossible numbers and technology, and subjugates them. I was their end-game crisis.

Stellaris is really good, you guys.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
gently caress whoever designed the Ghost Signal event. It's loving stupid and you didn't even do a good job because it's bugged my entire game to poo poo.

So as a machine empire, ghost signal cut off my mineral and power production by 40%, so I off the bat can't even afford my loving ships anymore. Then because all Paradox knows how to do is generate giant stacks of armies that work off loving fairy dust and unicorn farts, I have to face a fleet literally 4x bigger than mine was before it turned my loving economy off. So I try my best to fix it by literally scrapping every loving building that doesn't make power or minerals since we were in the red on both. I manage to get my energy income back to positive, but low and behold due to their loving incompetence I still get to keep the -50% penalty to mineral production for having an Energy Crisis.

I even turned down the stupid loving crisis strength from the default.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just created an empire that I hope will cause some problems.

They get the Migratory Flock AI personality which means they want to sign migration treaties with everyoe. However when they get into other empires they should hopefully cause some issues as in addition to being nomadic and extremely adaptive, meaning they can migrate just about anywhere, they are also repugnant, deviants and quarrelsome. Understandably they've reduced their homeworld to a lifeless husk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Should have gone with Decadent rather than Repugnant, IMO.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

gently caress whoever designed the Ghost Signal event. It's loving stupid and you didn't even do a good job because it's bugged my entire game to poo poo.

So as a machine empire, ghost signal cut off my mineral and power production by 40%, so I off the bat can't even afford my loving ships anymore. Then because all Paradox knows how to do is generate giant stacks of armies that work off loving fairy dust and unicorn farts, I have to face a fleet literally 4x bigger than mine was before it turned my loving economy off. So I try my best to fix it by literally scrapping every loving building that doesn't make power or minerals since we were in the red on both. I manage to get my energy income back to positive, but low and behold due to their loving incompetence I still get to keep the -50% penalty to mineral production for having an Energy Crisis.

I even turned down the stupid loving crisis strength from the default.

Didn't you get the option to hack the signal? There should be an option in your event-window. If not, I suggest filing a bug-report.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Didn't you get the option to hack the signal? There should be an option in your event-window. If not, I suggest filing a bug-report.

I sure did. It'll take 663 months. Oddly enough not being able to turn on the power to the science labs is kind of a problem. The time to hack the signal does seem to be decreasing as more of my planets are obliterated, so that's kind of helping?

Also the power shortage penalty to my mineral generation did finally go away after a few years of not having a power generation problem.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Seeing everyone post species, made me want to post the one I've been enjoying the most since 2.0 hit.

Here are the Khemplar, Saviors of Freedom! They arose on a gaia world many millennia ago and have since come to realize that the bedrock of their species foundation, their planet, is...too perfect to have been the mere coincidence of evolution. Being a naturally spiritualistic people, they have managed to assemble all of their people together under a holy banner that cares for all Khemplar, and gives every one of their species an equal voice in their government! They know not what lies in the great voids of space, but they know their destiny is to reach every last tendril of these star systems and make sure that any who reside outside their borders recognize that true freedom exists for them!

In death!

Purifiers are also super fun this patch thanks to clear defensive positions and the way wargoals have changed. Every war being a total war is fantastic and creates tension, like when that 2 man block declared war on me while my main fleet was on the other side of the galaxy. Its also fun when the galaxy generation decides to help my ~ immersion ~ and make every other species a bunch of slavers. Somehow, being a purifier feels good when you're killing slavers all day. War Exhaustion is still weird though, killing a fleet? Thats 80% war exhaustion, turning 3 planets into tomb worlds? eh 15 war exhaustion works. Either way, if you're a bit on the fence about the war system right now, i heartily recommend purifiers until 2.1 works the balance out.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
To the frustrated, I heartily recommend two mods that double ship speed and reduce war exhaustion.

Storytime: In my current "small, cramped galaxy" game (the best kind) I'm fanatic egalitarian, spiritualist, full-environmentalist hippies for a happiness/unity build. Wouldn't you know it, I started very close to the Sol system, and caught humanity in the midst of WW2 (apparently the Soviets won, since the humans were materialist/militarist). And my neighbors boxing me in were inward perfection xenophobes and Determined Exterminators. I enlightened humanity, brought it into the fold of my nice tolerant empire, granted them utopian living standards and converted them to my religion.

Then we preemptively attacked the exterminators and fought the War Against the Machines, with my native species in command of the fleet and a human general commanding the mixed ground forces. I like to imagine it was old Soviet veterans of WW2 who applied their Hitler-killing experience to destroying mechanized space Nazis. It was rough to fight, especially since both sides had fortified startbases on the border, but we adapted our ships to counter theirs and ultimately captured the robots' capital tomb world in 2240, opening up a large stretch of the galaxy to colonize. Humans and their new Aenilarian friends side by side in the crusade against blasphemous thinking machines, an excellent founding mythos for our shared empire! Game good.

(Is there any reason not to always use the highest living standards available? The happiness bonus to production seems to easily offset the mineral cost, especially if you have any consumer goods cost reduction)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’ve never had a proper Babylon-5 style War in Heaven kick off

Same here, buddy. I really want to see one. I put max FEs in this game in hope and it's 2438 with nothing happening yet. Half the cool events people post in the thread I've never seen. I don't know what the Contingency is, the crisis is the Unbidden 100% of the time, there's some kind of event chain where you get a ringworld? Rebellions?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Should have gone with Decadent rather than Repugnant, IMO.

So that they'll migrate to a new empire and then are immediately pissy about not having any goddamned slaves? That might be fun. I kind of want repugnant as well though, I mean just look at them. Could maybe get rid of quarrelsome.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Not sure if this is intended, but merchant enclave trade deals get empire modifiers like mining guilds and production targets applied. Makes matter generators pretty useless, unless you have so much energy you want to spend even more per month than you can sell to enclaves. Of course I think enclave deals would probably be better even if they didn’t get modifiers. Any self-respecting empire will have at least +100% to their mineral production from pops/tiles, so with no mineral bonus on a tile a Mining Network IV will produce 10 minerals for... 2.25 energy I think? So you’re trading 42.75 energy for 20 minerals.

Having both non-betharian (and non-dark matter, or whatever the FE ones are called) power plants and matter generators in your empire seems like a bad idea, too.

E:Yeah get rid of quarrelsome, the AIs will just have someone else work the unity producing buildings.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 28, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hell I just got the dragon egg in my last playthrough. Was wondering what that achievement even was.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Just created an empire that I hope will cause some problems.

They get the Migratory Flock AI personality which means they want to sign migration treaties with everyoe. However when they get into other empires they should hopefully cause some issues as in addition to being nomadic and extremely adaptive, meaning they can migrate just about anywhere, they are also repugnant, deviants and quarrelsome. Understandably they've reduced their homeworld to a lifeless husk.

Hah there's a pretty good sci-fi flavour to that. A space faring empire entering into a migration treaty with a bunch of assholes but the government being like "don't care, we can expand into more colonies with them"

Would work well with a megacorporatiom empire I'd imagine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ze Pollack posted:

sunless sea is Exceedingly Good writing, coupled to an Exceedingly Mediocre sailing game

Sunless Skies is out in early access, the sequel, if you're interested.

And to people who replied to me before about Armies - I know you can build loads and that you don't need to bombard. But the army system was annoying enough before when I only needed to build 12 units. Now I have to build shitloads it's even MORE annoying.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
What the hell just happened in my game? I picked up the Mind Over Matter ascension perk and it somehow enslaved my entire Horizon Signal-mutated population? Plus one of my factions is angry that the leader is a xeno suddenly even though it's the same starter species as it always has been.

I'm not allowed to stop enslaving them because they're now too alien for my xenophobe butterflies :psyduck:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

I sure did. It'll take 663 months. Oddly enough not being able to turn on the power to the science labs is kind of a problem. The time to hack the signal does seem to be decreasing as more of my planets are obliterated, so that's kind of helping?

Also the power shortage penalty to my mineral generation did finally go away after a few years of not having a power generation problem.

Holy poo poo. :stare: How many planets did you have to get this? Or did you put your cost slider to 5x cost?!

Before 2.0, I got something like 12 months, with about 20 planets in a large galaxy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Weird. The people who can cheat in however many fleets as they want who don't abide by the rules all the other players have to follow managed to win? What a fun and very strategic game!

I am very, very salty about this, but seriously what in the hell are you supposed to do vs a bunch of fleets who appear out of loving nothing at all that are all individually stronger than your entire naval capacity combined? My sliders were on 0.5x Crisis strength for fucks sake!

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 28, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare: How many planets did you have to get this? Or did you put your cost slider to 5x cost?!

Before 2.0, I got something like 12 months, with about 20 planets in a large galaxy.

I had 8 core systems with maybe a dozen or so planets total. By the time of my first post of complete frustration, I had about 40 systems in my empire (so that's +80% or so increased tech cost?). Tech / tradition costs were set to normal.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Something's hosed then, because before 2.0 dropped I never once had the ghost signal take longer than a couple years to reverse, and that was with a 40-something planet empire.

Either the event is currently busted because of the patch (very possible) or you made some drastic mistakes building your empire.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I suddenly feel very lucky that I put my crisis start point back to 2600 :lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Randarkman posted:

So that they'll migrate to a new empire and then are immediately pissy about not having any goddamned slaves? That might be fun. I kind of want repugnant as well though, I mean just look at them. Could maybe get rid of quarrelsome.

Repugnant afaik only affects them if they're leader of the empire and is going to make it harder for them to get on good enough terms to sign migration treaties. So yeah decadent is gonna make them pissy much more effectively. You could also take the solitary trait that just makes them generally miserable but you might just end up with an empire that's too depressed to live if they don't have slaves in their starting empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hiring Marauders is the opposite day version of the espionage options I've been wanting.

*They're effectively an AI only mechanic.

*All they do is blow up your poo poo.

*There's no build up to them blowing up your poo poo, they just say "we're coming to blow up your poo poo" and then blow up your poo poo.

*There's no counter to them blowing up your poo poo other than blowing up their poo poo harder.

Somewhere on Wiz's desk is a monkey's paw perfectly oriented to give me, personally, the finger.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Repugnant used to lower the happiness of everyone else on the planet, but now that you mention it I think that got removed a while ago. It does increase xenophobe attraction though.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Something's hosed then, because before 2.0 dropped I never once had the ghost signal take longer than a couple years to reverse, and that was with a 40-something planet empire.

Either the event is currently busted because of the patch (very possible) or you made some drastic mistakes building your empire.

The problem’s probably that he didn’t have the energy/minerals stockpiled to tide him over until the project completed. Then the penalties murdered his science production.

Bedurndurn, did you have any sectors? If so, draining their stockpiled might have helped. Or maybe not, if the sectors would then run out of resources almost immediately.

I haven’t seen the contingency yet since I almost always run with either AI citizen rights or outlawed AI. Is it a mid-game crisis? 2300 is pretty far in the game, so if you know it might fire you can probably prepare for it pretty well.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Hiring Marauders is the opposite day version of the espionage options I've been wanting.

*They're effectively an AI only mechanic.

*All they do is blow up your poo poo.

*There's no build up to them blowing up your poo poo, they just say "we're coming to blow up your poo poo" and then blow up your poo poo.

*There's no counter to them blowing up your poo poo other than blowing up their poo poo harder.

Somewhere on Wiz's desk is a monkey's paw perfectly oriented to give me, personally, the finger.

I would be amazed if Thursday's dev diary didn't include some proposals for reworking the bidding system to humans have a chance to actually bid.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Repugnant afaik only affects them if they're leader of the empire and is going to make it harder for them to get on good enough terms to sign migration treaties. So yeah decadent is gonna make them pissy much more effectively. You could also take the solitary trait that just makes them generally miserable but you might just end up with an empire that's too depressed to live if they don't have slaves in their starting empire.

Doesn't repugnant affect other specie's happiness if they are on the same planet? Opposite of charismatic really. Or at least that's kind of what I think "other species owner happiness" means.

I don't think I'm going to hit them with solitary, though it would make them more of a problem. Really the aim here is to make an empire that exports its population to other empires, and in those empires they are just these troublesome fuckers who want slaves, deviate from governing ethics and creep everyone the gently caress out. It doesn't matter that much if their own empire is a shithole as well, though I might make them authoritarian and see if they still end up as a Migratory Flock that way.

Staltran posted:

Repugnant used to lower the happiness of everyone else on the planet, but now that you mention it I think that got removed a while ago. It does increase xenophobe attraction though.

Well, drat. But yeah, having these guys in your empire making everyone else more xenophobic is also fun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

I would be amazed if Thursday's dev diary didn't include some proposals for reworking the bidding system to humans have a chance to actually bid.
I'd be (temporarily) satisfied if it just triggered the same "We're coming to blow up your poo poo, pay us not to" that spontaneous raiding does.

Heck, let me pay an annual protection racket fee so they can't pick me as a target and they'll not blow up my stuff on the way past to other people and I'll upgrade to "happy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Hey Wiz, the AI science ships seem to bug out when they try to explore wormholes. Got two from two different empires stuck in my systems, they start the mission, cancel instantly and then start it again over and over and over. Sodding annoying 'cos if I'm in that system all I get is the engine starting WHOOSH noise over and over and over and over.