Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gonz posted:

“Mr. Dominoes, I was walking home in the rain with my pizza and there was a clown in a sewer and he took my pizza!”

"It's insured, ain't it Georgie?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

General Dog posted:

Black Panther was fine, but the guys were a little embarrassing in their amount of praise imo.

"This is a Marvel movie in name only" lmbo

I had this feeling, too. I was thinking their On Screens tend to be the stuff that ages the worst.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

General Dog posted:

Black Panther was fine, but the guys were a little embarrassing in their amount of praise imo.

"This is a Marvel movie in name only" lmbo

Given how these dudes lean politically, did you really expect them to have anything bad to say about the movie?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I like the on screens as its interesting to get their takes on current stuff, but I can't imagine I'd ever re listen to one

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lemon posted:

I like the on screens as its interesting to get their takes on current stuff, but I can't imagine I'd ever re listen to one

The BvS one is pretty good, but it’s technically an on screen that expanded into a full-fledged episode.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Lemon posted:

BvS is very repeatable but most of their "we love movies" on-screen episodes are not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I skip On Screens that I intend to see, then I never see the movie :negative:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like the on screens because I like the dudes' rapport and hearing people talk about blockbusters without going too far into either end of the Marvel Fanboy / RedLetterMedia spectrum

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It's really refreshing to hear people talk about the Marvel movies like they're actual movies expecting a plot and characters and stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

Given how these dudes lean politically, did you really expect them to have anything bad to say about the movie?

i mean, yeah? there's a lot of left-wing people who are actually kinda mad about BP from several angles

like, it's not overly shocking that they liked it but it wouldn't have been extremely weird for them to be like "hey this movie has some... Issues"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, yeah? there's a lot of left-wing people who are actually kinda mad about BP from several angles

like, it's not overly shocking that they liked it but it wouldn't have been extremely weird for them to be like "hey this movie has some... Issues"

I'm only disappointed that they didn't remark on recycling, yet AGAIN, a "hero vs villain who has the exact same powerset!" ending.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm only disappointed that they didn't remark on recycling, yet AGAIN, a "hero vs villain who has the exact same powerset!" ending.

I mean, comic book movies are either that or hero flies to giant space blue laser/portal

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah but recycling is fake soooo...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
*in a trampoline salesman's voice*
Hey, I just watched Death Wish 5, blammo. The sick way in which Bronson's character, Paul Deathwish, sets up for the badguys in the movie is really heinous. It's weird to watch him smile wryly to himself while watching a character burn alive in front of him after we spend 5~ minutes humanizing the very same villain

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Firstborn posted:

Hey, I just watched Death Wish 5, blammo. The sick way in which Bronson's character, Paul Deathwish, sets up for the badguys in the movie is really heinous. It's weird to watch him smile wryly to himself while watching a character burn alive in front of him after we spend 5~ minutes humanizing the very same villain

The Death Wish movies have some really gross fascist undertones

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Death Wish movies have some really gross fascist undertones

Which is insane, considering where the franchise started at. The first movie is a pretty grimy affair, but it definitely doesn't fetishize the gun violence in any real way. I think the WHM boys used the term in their episode on Death Wish 4, but that first movie is an actual movie. The sequels went in a real gonzo direction, which I feel probably had more to do with Cannon steering the ship than anything. Unfortunately those latter movies are what became what Death Wish was, which is why we're getting this idiotic Eli Roth shoot-em-up reboot instead of something more subtle and reflective like the original film.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Death Wish 1 is a real movie.

Death Wish 2 is a basically a remake.

Death Wish 3 is loving bonkers B-movie territory. It's a hoot and a must see if you like trashy movies.

Death Wish 4 and 5 are just bad movies. I really have no idea how they made 5. Bronson looks like he's on deaths doorstep the whole time.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Firstborn posted:

1) Great callback
2) I will never get tired of that accent.

Blammo.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a real movie I guess but it's still a right wing power fantasy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Death Wish 4 and 5 are just bad movies. I really have no idea how they made 5. Bronson looks like he's on deaths doorstep the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDIoy9deFAc&t=19s

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sincere left wing critiques of the film totally exist, but they're not actually part of the public consciousness AT ALL. Other than some online spaces that nobody in the broader world is paying any attention to whatsoever, it's overwhelmingly popular with everybody worldwide, including (especially, even!) among people on the left.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

E: Beaten and I didn't even know!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Given how their feelings on THOR changed I wonder if it'll be the same for BLACK PANTHER (Though ultimately BP is the stronger movie). There's a lot I really like in that movie, but in hindsight, its flaws become more apparent. It sounded like Steve was about to address something that bothered me as well with Daniel Kaluua's character but he gets interrupted and drops it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They kind of fall into the trap of bashing the dumbest 1% of takes to be found on the internet on something (sexist stuff about nu-Star Wars, racist stuff about Black Panther, etc.), and sort make the leap that "those takes are stupid, therefore the movie is good".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This derail about Paul Kersey's architecture class has me loving dying :lol:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

“I’m glad it’s not a hundred page paper, ‘cuz I can’t write for poo poo. Gettin’ dicks started, that I can do.”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What was that movie that Andrew was thinking about? Where the guy wearing the wire was sweating so much it shocked him. I know I've seen that movie but I can't quite remember which one it is. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a comedy. The scene was supposed to be pretty tragic. I remember the guy got killed by the mob. But that was in flashback to someone else, I think the FBI/CIA agent or lawyer who was forced to put someone else in the same situation again and he was worried that his new informant would share a similar fate.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Death Wish 2 is a basically a remake.

Death Wish 3 is loving bonkers B-movie territory. It's a hoot and a must see if you like trashy movies.

Wait, is death wish Rocky with guns?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

What was that movie that Andrew was thinking about? Where the guy wearing the wire was sweating so much it shocked him. I know I've seen that movie but I can't quite remember which one it is. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a comedy. The scene was supposed to be pretty tragic. I remember the guy got killed by the mob. But that was in flashback to someone else, I think the FBI/CIA agent or lawyer who was forced to put someone else in the same situation again and he was worried that his new informant would share a similar fate.

drat it, I know exactly what you're talking about but I can't remember what it's from either.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It happens in Blow Out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Corek posted:

It happens in Blow Out

That's it! I watched Blow Out a couple months ago.

Blammo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Can't stop repeating the line from their previous Death Wish episode in the Bronson voice, "I got a face like a microwaved walnut."

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Corek posted:

It happens in Blow Out

I thought they were mis-remembering the situation, because something similar happens in Saving Silverman. That was what movie came to mind when they brought that up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do not worry about Stan Lee

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Can't stop repeating the line from their previous Death Wish episode in the Bronson voice, "I got a face like a microwaved walnut."

I was howling at the discussion of Charles Bronson as a video game character managing his inventory.

I got this candle. I don't need it. Now I'm in a dark factory. Wish I had that candle.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm happy they brought up Freddy Flakes lovely home life like I mentioned earlier. It's pretty bizarre to see how nice his relationship with his wife and stuff is, really humanize him, then murder him with a rated r home alone gag.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
New mailbag has a great story involving a dance-off. It has nothing to do with movies and doesn't end with someone making GBS threads themselves so I have no idea why they included it other than the hilarity value.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think their Bronson, Busey, and Palance are my favorite characters. Ka-blamo.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Calaveron posted:

Do not worry about Stan Lee

I instantly checked around because I thought he had died, jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Violator posted:

I think their Bronson, Busey, and Palance are my favorite characters. Ka-blamo.

I nearly called in the original The Mechanic just for more Bronson.