Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Looking for a decent bedroom TV to replace my old as balls Panasonic TH-C50FD18. TV is mostly going to be used for streaming and console gaming, 50 Inches, budget about $500.

Not looking for perfection, just really something that works well for the above and that doesn't weigh 87.1 pounds(without stand). I Got the TV for free from my parents years ago after it started failing to turn on about half the time. Just had to solder a capacitor off that was causing the self check to freak out. http://blog.bronislavrobenek.com/post/47303789528/panasonic-plasma-red-blinks-of-death-repair

This TCL looks like it fits the bill, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something else in that size and price range.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYGISTO/ref=psdc_6459737011_t1_B06Y6FSV5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m having a good experience with that one. My only real complaint is that it’s not really bright enough to get the most out of HDR, but it’s pretty amazing for the price.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

EDIT: After a fair bit of research, I’ve determined I need to up my budget to get into “mid-range” status. I’m now thinking about $1k and looking at a Vizio P-Series from 2017 or Samsung MU8000, since they seem to be mostly rated the same as a roughly equivalent (and I think more expensive) Sony.

One more option: Of the 2017 models, the Sony X900e is generally the best-reviewed "middle upper price" TV, and if you catch a good sale you might find the 55 inch version for $1000. (Otherwise it's typically $1200)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bondematt posted:

Looking for a decent bedroom TV to replace my old as balls Panasonic TH-C50FD18. TV is mostly going to be used for streaming and console gaming, 50 Inches, budget about $500.

Not looking for perfection, just really something that works well for the above and that doesn't weigh 87.1 pounds(without stand). I Got the TV for free from my parents years ago after it started failing to turn on about half the time. Just had to solder a capacitor off that was causing the self check to freak out. http://blog.bronislavrobenek.com/post/47303789528/panasonic-plasma-red-blinks-of-death-repair

This TCL looks like it fits the bill, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something else in that size and price range.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYGISTO/ref=psdc_6459737011_t1_B06Y6FSV5Q

The CostCo equivalent model in a 55 inch is going for $340 right now

https://www.costco.com/.product.100341093.html

It's edgelit, and you'er going to have poor side viewing angles. That may not be an issue with your setup

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Number_6 posted:

One more option: Of the 2017 models, the Sony X900e is generally the best-reviewed "middle upper price" TV, and if you catch a good sale you might find the 55 inch version for $1000. (Otherwise it's typically $1200)

Yeah, the more I dove into my research the more I was being led to that guy. When does Sony typically push their new-year models? I’m hoping that I can maybe catch a 2017 model on sale at or around that time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gin_Rummy posted:

Yeah, the more I dove into my research the more I was being led to that guy. When does Sony typically push their new-year models? I’m hoping that I can maybe catch a 2017 model on sale at or around that time.

They announced the 2018 900F models in January, they're expected to ship around March-April. Prices are around $1200 for the 55" but they go down to a thousand when on sale.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ultimate Mango posted:

This post makes me really, really miss my TiVo with the built in DVD burner. That thing was the bomb.

Also makes me wonder why the Xbox One X Pro can’t record TV since didn’t Microsoft want the Xboxes to be cable boxes too?

Microsoft ditched that to focus on being a game console, and it really seems to have helped them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is there such thing as a Blu-Ray player with a built-in DVR or PVR?

In Europe Toshiba and Panasonic used to sell bd playback and dvd burning - capable DVR with DVB-T tuners. They don't seem to have refreshed their DVR lineup after those models, newer UHD BD kit are playback only, no tuners/media burning.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 27, 2018

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
X900F 55" is already out at $1500 -- like you can order it on Amazon right now with 1-day shipping. The other sizes are coming soon.

X900E 55" cheapest price was $998 -- Black Friday and pre-Super Bowl.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Deciding between B7 or C7 OLED from LG, at 65 inches, or get a 75 inch x900e from Sony, both are around 2500, a little too high, hoping for them to fall closer to 2k, is that a pipe dream with new models coming? I’m a little nervous about OLED since I game and heard burn in is still an issue with OLED. This is for a bright 2nd story room with plenty of windows, sit around 10 feet from the TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Axim posted:

Deciding between B7 or C7 OLED from LG, at 65 inches, or get a 75 inch x900e from Sony, both are around 2500, a little too high, hoping for them to fall closer to 2k, is that a pipe dream with new models coming? I’m a little nervous about OLED since I game and heard burn in is still an issue with OLED. This is for a bright 2nd story room with plenty of windows, sit around 10 feet from the TV.

I believe certified refurbs of the 65 have hit $1600/1700 before if you're down with a refurb.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A new 65 c7 can be had for $1550 if you catch a beach camera sale and use a Citi card to pricematch joesav

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Don Lapre posted:

A new 65 c7 can be had for $1550 if you catch a beach camera sale and use a Citi card to pricematch joesav

Jesus is this really a thing?

How long is it going to be until the 2018s hit the ~$2500 level? Superbowl? Sometime in the summer?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Don Lapre posted:

What is the Citi card to get for price matching? I keep seeing people mention it on Slick Deals...

I got my LG OLED off Amazon, because I was sitting on a thousand dollars in amazon GCs. But I could see getting another OLED when my second set dies, again.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I think all of them. I use a Citi double cash. Use price match all the time.

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus is this really a thing?

How long is it going to be until the 2018s hit the ~$2500 level? Superbowl? Sometime in the summer?

Look up Citi price rewind. Basically your credit card company crediting you if you find a lower price on something.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 28, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is Chase pricematching as well? It's tough to tell from the AVS forum thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My Amazon Chase card does not.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's an unbelievable scam that they'll "price" match for these kooky scam offers, which just goes to show you how few people look closely and how lucrative the average credit card consumer must be!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You can price match with Chase at https://www.eclaimsline.com but I've heard it's not as good. I'm in the process of doing it now for a C7.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I got $500 back with Citi Double Cash on a B7 which is hosed up because they denied price matching me $100 on a laptop that was legitimate, because the SKU was slightly different with same spec or something.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Thanks guys, I ended up going with the 75 inch X900E, it’s 2500 with no tax through a reputable 3rd party seller on Amazon. I wanted OLED but all the image retention issues with gaming made me nervous, I’d rather get a very solid LCD instead. Plus 2500 was the lowest price for it since it came out, probably due to 2018 models coming. I’m upgrading from a 2011 Panasonic Viera P55ST50, I love it and the colors are great, but it’s been flickering badly lately and I decided it was time to upgrade. I hope image quality isn’t too much worse going from plasma to lcd.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Image retention on modern OLEDs is like a 1000 hours of static image barely becomes visible kinda thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cobalt Viper posted:

Image retention on modern OLEDs is like a 1000 hours of static image barely becomes visible kinda thing.

It really isn't. You are looking at about 300 hours for fully saturated red or yellow depending on your OLED light level.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

By week 2, you can start to see it in red and yellow. That's only 280 hours.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world and you need to completely avoid gaming on them. It's just important to realize that burn in on OLED is cumulative, period.

It really doesn't matter what your viewing habits are as far a varying content. A static element is going to burn in the same is if was one hour a day for a year vs 365 hours straight.

A lot of modern games allow your to disable huds or lower opacity which really helps. The 50% opacity took pretty much twice as long to become visible. It's something to be mindful of but you don't have to stand on your head to avoid.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

🤔

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The full sized images show it pretty plainly. Red is the one that shows the most, yellow is still too faint at that point to pose much issue.

Week 3 yellow is showing almost as bad a week 2 red.

Neither would be visible on normal content yet.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

KS posted:

X900F 55" is already out at $1500 -- like you can order it on Amazon right now with 1-day shipping. The other sizes are coming soon.

X900E 55" cheapest price was $998 -- Black Friday and pre-Super Bowl.

Does this imply that the X900E won’t drop in price again before/when new models come out?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gin_Rummy posted:

Does this imply that the X900E won’t drop in price again before/when new models come out?

The only place that's got the 55" X900E for less than $998 is the military exchange service for $899. Pretty sure that's probably the lowest you'll see it go.

And before anyone asks - the price is only viewable if you have valid login credentials for the site, so it can't be used for pricematching.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Why did the TCL P607 pop up to freakin' $800? Ships and Sold from Amazon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just buy the P605 from best buy. Same TV, lower MSRP, and almost always in stock locally.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only place that's got the 55" X900E for less than $998 is the military exchange service for $899. Pretty sure that's probably the lowest you'll see it go.

And before anyone asks - the price is only viewable if you have valid login credentials for the site, so it can't be used for pricematching.

Right, but I’m asking if it will ever go on sale again from the MSRP $1200. I’m not trying to find one for cheaper than they’ve ever been on sale for, just wondering if there is another period where they’ll go on sale again or if I missed the window.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Just buy the P605 from best buy. Same TV, lower MSRP, and almost always in stock locally.

I'm not buying either just yet. Was clearing our an old cart on Amazon and saw that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ah, ok. Yeah, the P607 on Amazon fluctuates wildly because it goes in and out of stock a lot.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So I need a new TV in general and with the new Soul Caliber on the way I wanted one that was good for gaming and in the $2000 range. After reading the OP and using the resource there I came up with

Samsung Electronics QN65Q7F 65-Inch

and I was wondering what you all think? Is this a good buy, are QLEDs bullshit, am I missing something in the specs that make this thing under preform?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

QLED marketing is bullshit. It's just a normal LED backlit LCD using quantum dots for more full spectrum backlight. Pretty much all high end TVs are doing the same thing. Sony brands it as Triluminous.

Get a closeout x900e for less or wait for the first inevitable sale on the X900F to knock a few hundred off the price.

There remains pretty much no Samsung TVs worth buying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've managed to come across an oddity in my setup that probably means a bunch of menu checking or changing things on each watch, but it seems the TV hooked up to the HDMI 2 of my receiver (essentially a mirror of HDMI1) isn't getting the center channel of multichannel audio. Any movie I watch has no dialog.

Every day it's a new reason to bang my head against a desk I swear.

e: might be a bug with the new update to Plex on the Apple TV, hopefully it'll be fixed soon if that's the case.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 1, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've managed to come across an oddity in my setup that probably means a bunch of menu checking or changing things on each watch, but it seems the TV hooked up to the HDMI 2 of my receiver (essentially a mirror of HDMI1) isn't getting the center channel of multichannel audio. Any movie I watch has no dialog.

Every day it's a new reason to bang my head against a desk I swear.

Just to check, are you testing this on movies before 1927?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you getting surround channels?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fruit on the bottom posted:

Just to check, are you testing this on movies before 1927?

Yes, and also 'The Artist'. Very strange!

bull3964 posted:

Are you getting surround channels?

Sadly I didn't have chance to dive into it fully but it felt like I was getting FL and FR as music sounded normal. If I've got time this evening I'll run both inside and outside rigs at the same time and see what's happening exactly and work out if it's a Plex issue or not. I've never had an issue with my cable box, and I'm sure I've run a bunch of MC stuff from Plex before - so it's either a bug in this new version (which is likely) or I've changed something somewhere and buggered it up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my thought was maybe the receiver is in some sort of Pure or Direct 2-ch mode for that HDMI, so it would only grab the left and right front channels and discard the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bull3964 posted:

It really isn't. You are looking at about 300 hours for fully saturated red or yellow depending on your OLED light level.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

I'm not saying it's the end of the world and you need to completely avoid gaming on them. It's just important to realize that burn in on OLED is cumulative, period.

It really doesn't matter what your viewing habits are as far a varying content. A static element is going to burn in the same is if was one hour a day for a year vs 365 hours straight.

A lot of modern games allow your to disable huds or lower opacity which really helps. The 50% opacity took pretty much twice as long to become visible. It's something to be mindful of but you don't have to stand on your head to avoid.

I think I put 110 hours into Breath of the Wild, and that's the longest I've ever played a single video game, ever. I think most people will be fine.