Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One can absolutely write mindlessly

They tend to make the most money!

I'll see myself to the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

in my experience it's writing with your dick that brings in the big bucks

it's just hard to keep it up long enough when you're mashing it onto the keyboard

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm no professional writer, but I tend to think if you're not enjoying what you're writing, and you really hate it, as opposed to liking the ideas of the story and just feeling a lack of inspiration, then it's probibly time to shelve it.

Maybe stop and consider what you liked about it to start writing it, and start over from there. Starting over sucks, but personally hitting a brick wall sucks more.

Or maybe simple step away, and do other things, and then come back to it after a few days/weeks/months, and you'll have some fresh perspective.

I've been there sort of with a story I really liked, the "bird of dawn" story I mentioned before, but I kept hitting a brick wall of not liking where I was going, so I set it aside.

Don't give up writing though. It feels like you'll never come up with another idea, and then you get another idea for a story that's more exciting to you than the one before.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Shageletic posted:

Thanks, I'll think about it. I do appreciate the criticism, one of my biggest regrets is not getting a creative writing degree before grad school (instead of my super useful poli sci B.A.). I've always had an interest in writing but I really don't have the skills or practice I wish I already had. So the best thing I can do is to have critical people take a look at it I suppose and learn from that (I do feel embarrassed about already sending the earlier version to friends tho).

Don't sweat the degree. I got a creative writing undergrad degree and very little about it actually helped me. True, some of that was because I was 19 years old and thought the most important thing in my life was raiding Molten Core, but I've found over the years that there's far more to be learned from reading a lot than there is from any clasroom. Besides, most of what you learn in creative writing programs is literary short stories, anyway. If you're interested in anything long-form or anything genre, the amount of practice you're going to get there is extremely limited.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Naerasa posted:

Don't sweat the degree. I got a creative writing undergrad degree and very little about it actually helped me. True, some of that was because I was 19 years old and thought the most important thing in my life was raiding Molten Core, but I've found over the years that there's far more to be learned from reading a lot than there is from any clasroom. Besides, most of what you learn in creative writing programs is literary short stories, anyway. If you're interested in anything long-form or anything genre, the amount of practice you're going to get there is extremely limited.

Yeah, this. Look up some of your favorite authors on wiki and I think you'll be surprised by how many of them studied something other than writing and/or English.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I wasn't a creative writing major in college or anything, but I took a few courses, and honestly the biggest benefit was they forced me to write a lot, edit a lot, and not overthink what I was doing for the length of the course.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I did a lot of creative writing classes in college, narrowly missing a minor by a few credits. I feel that they didn't teach me how to write better, just how to workshop better. Which is valuable in its own way, but because they were undergraduate courses it wasn't exactly the most serious writing environment. Mostly 19 year olds trying to do a "fun" class to shave off a few credits. I would've loved if there were classes that focused on giving a better foundation with grammar, style, and clarity in prose, or one that focused on story structure, setting up and paying off character arcs, how to weave themes into your work to deepen your ideas, etc. Technical and instructional. Having a balance of both would have been ideal for me, at least.

e: I also had this frustration when doing screenwriting, playwriting, and sketch writing at various points in my academic and post-academic years. Every teacher just wanted to create a workshop environment, whereas I wanted something more guided, structured, and technical. I know, you tend to get better by reading, writing, getting feedback, refining, and repeating. But it just felt like floundering around without a guide much of the time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 15, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I did a lot of creative writing classes, narrowly missing a minor by a few credits. I feel that they didn't teach me how to write better, just how to workshop better. Which is valuable in its own way, but because they were undergraduate courses it wasn't exactly the most serious writing environment. Mostly 19 year olds trying to do a "fun" class to shave off a few credits. I would've loved if there were classes that focused on giving a better foundation with grammar, style, and clarity in prose, or one that focused on story structure, setting up and paying off character arcs, how to weave themes into your work to deepen your ideas, etc.

I guess I'm lucky that my college had the freshman-level "I need a Humanities credit" creative writing course, and a separate "I actually give a poo poo" creative writing course. I took the latter and there actually was a lot of focus on grammar/style/voice, and some structure, though it's hard to cover large-scale novel structure when you're only writing very short fiction every week.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, I went to the University of Iowa which has the infamous Writer's Workshop. I wasn't quite serious enough to commit to getting into the program at the time as I was also pursuing a number of other vocations including screenwriting and playwriting. Everyone who was in the "I actually give a poo poo" camp just went through the Workshop program, leaving me, the "I need a Humanities credit", and the "I'm a single mom going back to school in the evenings" folks together. Looking back I should have just gone into the Workshop and dropped out if I wasn't into it, but it was a bit of a frustrating experience.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

apophenium posted:

Can writing ever be useless? Like if I work really hard to write 1,500-2,000 words a day just advancing the plot on some story idea I had can I come out the other side of that learning nothing? I've been slowly adding to a story over the past few months and I hate it and I hate where it's going but I feel obligated to continue it rather than just keep jumping to new stories like I used to. Can one write mindlessly? Or if I slug away at that story and get to some kind of ending will I look back at it and think, "Oh hey, this part isn't too bad, and this character works to a certain extent," and excavate some kind of merit from it?

I'm already in this and I'm already writing a lot but I guess I feel kind of aimless right now. I hope there's some sort of identifiable question up there. And thanks!

Look up "sunk cost fallacy."

However, that doesn't mean you've completely wasted your time. Whether you believe it or not, every word you write improves your writing ability by a minuscule amount.

But yeah. If you just hate it, and you don't think you'll be able to stick the landing, set it down and walk away. Go write something else. You may come back to it and discover it's not nearly as bad as you thought, and in the meantime your subconscious mind may make connections that turn your slog into a masterpiece! Or else it'll be something you can raid for parts. Or maybe you'll go back to the point you think it went off the rails and write a whole new direction for the thing. But give yourself time to breathe, man. It's either an extraordinary writer or a lovely one who knocks out (what they think is) a complete novel on the first draft, start to finish, with no breaks in between to let the engine cool down.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Shageletic posted:

Took another shot at the first page, if you don't wanna go through the trouble of parsing it again I understand.

Still gotta work on the viewpoint thing and being coy (still went with the eyes panic wide, I dunno I just like the sound of it) but tried to make the threat clearer. Well, I mean its invisible but still.

gently caress it, this is short enough to be "okay" but holy hell you have to give us a draw apart from "Danny was running away." I like your start, it has a bit of contrast and immediately gets into the conflict "He is running away" but reading about someone running away without any sort of stakes, consequence is a bit dull.

Also, Danny is hardly a character so I'm adding a box of puppies to this piece, to see if we can wring out some characterization (Read Blood Rites by Jim Butcher for why this works!)

your story posted:

He was bolting down the field, knees high. Sweat beaded down his forehead, mouth open and soundless, eyes panic wide. His feet tore apart the soft soil and churned the pale flowers under them.

They were after him and his box of puppies.

He could hear them now. The rustling from multiple directions. The breathing, no, grunting, of different bodies running after him.

He didn’t dare look back. So he ran like his life depended on it, because it did and the puppies' lives as well

Hey look, immediately we have puppies in the scene and EVERYONE loving LOVES PUPPIES. Also, we assume they are defenceless (Unlike Danny), so we care about them more. How does Danny feel about protecting a box of puppies, why is a box of puppies involved?

quote:

His right foot went for the ground and missed. His face found it. He spit out dirt and blew out crushed flower petals with a shuddering breath. They scattered like ash. Puppies flew in the air everywhere.

Danny hosed up! What does he do now (Apart from running). Does he save the puppies that flew in the air? Does he blame himself for his impressive trip. or does he blame fate?

Your Story posted:

His feet dug into the dirt, his hands pushing himself up. Sweat fell like damned rain, he had never been the athletic type. But he got himself up again and his legs churning. There, where the meadow ended, and a shadowed line of trees began, that was where he would get to. Wait.

Think.

Danny turned slowly, getting up, the mud deep in his shoes. The flowers, no longer blocking his esophagus, were waving beautifully again. Like nothing he had seen before, open white petals open to the sun. Nature, existing untouched. Existing…in the still air, without a breeze…

Twin grooves arcing towards him blew through the flower field, digging up dirt like giant invisible claws raking a very small sandbox towards a small puppy Danny had missed. The small puppy barked loud challenges at the approaching dirt.

Oh poo poo Danny you hosed up AGAIN (I'm saying Danny saved the puppies, but accidentally left one behind). And hey that puppy is BRAVE. Holy poo poo what happens to that puppy? Your answer will make the "Monster" following Danny actually DO something, and tell the reader if they are evil puppy eaters. Or does Danny save the puppy, at the cost of himself?

your story posted:

The quiet voice in the back of his mind spoke again.

Run.

Danny hit the forest wall like it owed him money.

So I remembered your last line, hitting the wall like it owed him money. And it's a hilarious line the more and more I thought of it.

Anyways, try and put a bit of character into Danny, apart from him tripping and being afraid. Give him, no give the READER some stakes apart from "Does Danny Live or Not."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tbh while I agree with my learned colleagues that it's good to have a bit more context for his running, it's looking better.

Ultimately the first page of a novel is doing something different from that of a short story, but hopefully it's useful to have an idea of how an unsympathetic eye would see it: don't assume the reader wants to turn the page, make them want to turn the page.

Feel free to post a longer section in its own thread if it would be helpful.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Holy poo poo I should just add boxes of puppies to everything write

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
what the gently caress is this thread good for, not a single one of you has ever even kissed a book

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

true leftist posted:

what the gently caress is this thread good for, not a single one of you has ever even kissed a book

whats up av

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
i've been sitting here for an hour with my tongue in a coetzee and nobody can tell me what to do next

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

true leftist posted:

i've been sitting here for an hour with my tongue in a coetzee and nobody can tell me what to do next

im just glad to see ur well, keep on keepin on

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

true leftist posted:

https://youtu.be/pTznIZhqnmA

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I’m new to this thread and writing so take this from a newbies perspective:

quote:

The meadow was made of white flowers, single lines of red bisecting their soft petals, swaying gently in the breeze. Long thin stalks raised them to near waist high, giving their star shaped forms a motion as ethereal, as ghostly, as the air that moved it.
At first I didn’t like it but then I said wait it’s okay.

quote:

He didn’t dwell on their delicate beauty. He was too busy running.
Maybe it’s because I did not see the preceding part but I feel like it should say “Although, Danny wasn’t dwelling on...” to make it clear who we were talking about and to clearly interject the scene of beauty.

quote:

DANNY

He was bolting down the field, knees high. Sweat beaded down his forehead, mouth open and soundless, eyes panic wide. His feet tore apart the soft soil and churned the pale flowers under them.
Knees high seems cartoonish for running but that’s only when trying to imagine it slower I may not do that as a reader.

“his” mouth open and soundless?

Otherwise I liked it.

quote:

He could hear them now. The rustling from multiple directions. The breathing, no, grunting, of different bodies running after him.
I don’t get the “breathing, no, grunting” it feels like a contrived correction. I would just describe it as one or the other or both. It feels like this is a quick scene and it acts like a weird speed bump.

quote:

He didn’t dare look back. So he ran like his life depended on it, because it did.
“So” implies that the prior sentence describes the reason for the next sentence. I’d just take out “So” and it reads fine.

quote:

His right foot went for the ground and missed. His face found it. He spit out dirt and blew out crushed flower petals with a shuddering breath. They scattered like ash.

Goddamned flowers.
I liked this.

quote:

His feet dug into the dirt, his hands pushing himself up. Sweat fell like damned rain, he had never been the athletic type. But he got himself up again and his legs churning. There, where the meadow ended, and a shadowed line of trees began, that was where he would get to. Wait.
Petty edits on my part but I’d use a semi-colon after the word rain, a comma after “But”

The “Wait” being part of this paragraph feels odd. I’d make a new paragraph ie “Wait...” then another new paragraph: “Think.”

quote:

Danny turned slowly, getting up, the mud deep in his shoes. The flowers, no longer blocking his esophagus, were waving beautifully again. Like nothing he had seen before, open white petals open to the sun. Nature, existing untouched. Existing…in the still air, without a breeze…

Twin grooves arcing towards him blew through the flower field, digging up dirt like giant invisible claws raking a very small sandbox.

The quiet voice in the back of his mind spoke again.
I got no idea what he was waiting to think about. Did he consider giving in? Was he considering hiding somewhere but then found no cover? What did he think about before just plainly trying to run again?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So fun fact

Two trees that are round about 85 to 100 feet each smashing into your home will not, in fact, aid you in trying to write what so ever.

this is something I've learned the hard way over the last month as I have attempted to work on my third draft only for literally everything to distract me as much as possible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Burkion posted:

So fun fact

Two trees that are round about 85 to 100 feet each smashing into your home will not, in fact, aid you in trying to write what so ever.

this is something I've learned the hard way over the last month as I have attempted to work on my third draft only for literally everything to distract me as much as possible.

this is good intel, tyvm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doing my best!

I mean if you think the smell of wet formaldehyde and then fussing with an insurance company over stupid bullshit will aid you in writing, be my guest but it was of little use here!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.theonion.com/author-of-introduction-to-algebra-recalls-textbook-be-1823273519

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Does anyone have good advice for adding subplots to a story, fitting around a theme? Has anyone had a short story "skeleton" that they wanted to expand to novel length by adding subplots?

The story is a fantasy sort of slice of life story about a boy trying to fit in with a new culture (lizard-folk), so the side plots should fit somewhat with that theme. I've been re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird because that's the sort of feel I'd like this to have, a small scale story with fairly lo stakes (the lives and livelihood of a few people as opposed to an entire city or country) and interesting characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A novel has to sustain the reader's interest throughout. While a short story can get away with less at stake and less plot, for a longer one, the reader has to be invested enough in the characters and their struggles to want to keep turning page after page after page. So the plot has to be of sufficient interest and depth to hold the reader's attention. Just adding subplots might not do it if they aren't that related to the protagonist. It doesn't need to be fate of the world stuff, of course, but the protagonist should have something they want but can't have, and they have to make meaningful choices about how to try to get it.

Ask these questions for yourself.
  • What does the protagonist want?
  • What's keeping him/her from getting it?
  • What choice/decision does he/she face?
  • What terrible thing will happen if he chooses ____; what terrible thing will happen if he doesn't.

Tie your subplots into how they'll affect the protagonist, what they want and how to get it.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, I guess that's problem, coming up with subplots that are around something the MC wants.

What Zack Wants? Zack really wants to fit in.
Keeping from getting it? Inhibitions and father's expectations
Choice? Obedience as an outcast or disobedience and fitting in
Terrible thing that will happen? For obedience, I guess being an outcast/not being able to play with the others (which is a big deal for a kid). If he disobeys he risks being punished.

I guess need to figure out other things my MC wants and tie subplots to those.

I suppose, using the TKaM example, it could be something as simple as "MC wants to learn more about a law case MC's father is working on", since Scout has little to do with solving that case, but her learning of it ties in with the themes of prejudice and the Boo Radley plot.

Thanks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
spending time with other characters and painting the same story themes in a different light is generally a good thing to do with subplots if its cool or interesting.

if you're writing a story that isnt a really tight plot piece, this is generally the funnest thing to do.

its not bloat if its fun and/or satisfying to read.

i mean ideally a subplot serves the plot and primary characters, but idk you can just do cool poo poo in your bookworld for the sake of it as long as it doesnt bore ppl.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You can also have subplots that are kicked off by more mundane necessities (e.g. Zack really wants an apple pie) and which lead to him meeting lizard-folk who struggle to fit in themselves (e.g. a blind lizard who spends a bunch of time at the bakery?)

You can then toy around with expanding on how the lizardfolk treat their ill or handicapped, the elderly, how they experience the world (do they have the same senses as humans?), how Zack reacts to that...

Off the top of my head I could think of a sub-plot involving someone who gets kicked out of their hobby club for some reason, a young lizardling from a petty noble family that has fallen out of grace, someone who was caught red-handed for a petty crime when they were young and who were appropriately punished and regret their actions, but they feel things will never be quite the same, etc.

Your world might not involve lizard nobility or crime & punishment or whatnot, but think about that kind of stuff. Think about who else could have trouble fitting in, and depending on the target age group, make the sub-plots heavier stuff or more lighthearted. You can probably reinforce the central theme of the book by having Zack interact with others who are outcasts of some sort, even of their "own" lizard community, and helping them get accepted back into their group of friends/social circle. Think about how to weave worldbuilding into these plots, show different aspects of lizardfolk community, and different ways people can be ostracized. I guess, if you really want to tie this into the main plot, these side stories provide Zack with "allies" for a lack of better term, who vouch for him at the novel's climax?

I think that's how I'd do it.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 26, 2018

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

These are all really good ideas! I was thinking I want contrasting subplots like this, but I was thinking it would be another human. For some reason I hadn't really thought of it being lizardfolk somehow. Thanks!

anime was right posted:

i mean ideally a subplot serves the plot and primary characters, but idk you can just do cool poo poo in your bookworld for the sake of it as long as it doesnt bore ppl.
Yeah. I had a chapter when the MC arrives, and there was some little cultural worldbuilding (giving bread at the threshold of the door), and a visit to the religious temple, but the former was too clunky and the later didn't really have any reason to plot and wasn't super interesting so I cut it. That's part of the trick of writing with worldbuilding that I'm trying to figure out, showing the world building stuff without it being boring.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 26, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Tbh while I agree with my learned colleagues that it's good to have a bit more context for his running, it's looking better.

Ultimately the first page of a novel is doing something different from that of a short story, but hopefully it's useful to have an idea of how an unsympathetic eye would see it: don't assume the reader wants to turn the page, make them want to turn the page.

Feel free to post a longer section in its own thread if it would be helpful.

lol thanks for the advice and the puppy edits, they do make it look better.

Runaktla posted:

I’m new to this thread and writing so take this from a newbies perspective:

I got no idea what he was waiting to think about. Did he consider giving in? Was he considering hiding somewhere but then found no cover? What did he think about before just plainly trying to run again?

This too is useful, I'll keep it in mind during my next edit.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
friendship/romance, bullying, and "side projects" are all classic subplots for middle grade and YA books.

Harry Potter book 1:
Main plot: there's some kind of stone and an evil dude who wants to kill Harry?
Friendships: building/evolving friendships, especially w/Hermione, who isn't an "instant friend" like Ron
Bullying: Draco & friends obviously
Side Projects: school - I forget what the big thing they have to do in school is, but there always is one. Potions test or something
Side Projects: sports - gotta win at broom-game

Hunger Games:
Main plot: stay alive
Side Project: impress all the judges before it's go time
Friendship: helping out Rue
Romance: if there can be a romance when everyone is killing each other, there can be a romance anywhere
Side Project: Keep P alive, also

Throne of Glass:
Main plot: win assassin competition
Romance: both prince and captain of the guard are cute and maybe like her
Friendship: she makes friends with a visiting princess
Bullying: there is also a mean girl
Side project: must solve some mysterious deaths

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Need some advice! I've got 2 chapters left until I finish my first draft of my first novel. However, in writing the climax, some of my third act issues are becoming very clear. I've already figured out what changes I'd want to make, but it would require a significant rewrite of about 6 other chapters and an addition of 2 more. Do I go ahead and finish the first draft as-is since I'm so close, or do I go back and make the changes and continue from there?

I can see the argument being made either way. Finishing the last two chapters with the current 3rd act could just be wasted time, but writing them out could also give me more of a foundation for when I revise and an understanding of what I'm working toward—and against.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Finish first, then fix it in the rewrite. They don't call it a second draft for nothing!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

feedmyleg posted:

Finishing the last two chapters with the current 3rd act could just be wasted time,

How much time are we talking here?

(just write them)

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Leave notes for yourself, finish the current draft.

Finish it.

Finish it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks for the push, all. Even (slowly) working through the last two chapters now is giving me a lot of fuel for notes for the second draft and is helping to connect some earlier dots. Even if it's difficult to write something that contains stuff I know is going to just change in the relative future.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Do any of you have any experience repurposing misogynist tropes and ideas, especially from noir and hardboiled detective stories, like femme fatales, in a way that makes them... not misogynist and sexist?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Magnusth posted:

Do any of you have any experience repurposing misogynist tropes and ideas, especially from noir and hardboiled detective stories, like femme fatales, in a way that makes them... not misogynist and sexist?

Why? What's your goal? You can just gender swap if you like, but are you trying to not make 2018 people go ew, or do comedy, or interrogate the tropes themselves?

A peerlessly woke character dropped into classic gumshoe noir would potentially be funny/interesting I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You just do the character archetype without them being sexist

Women can be femme fatale villain types just fine. Just because you have one doesn't make it sexist.

Unless you mean the attitude the narrator tended to have about them, all dames and trouble times and all that stuff, then if you want THAT, there's your character flaw. They're sexist. Make that work for you.

So long as you are aware of what you're writing, don't be afraid to make it work.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you're even asking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

To specify, once i'm done with my current story, i'm planing to write, uh, an urban fantasy noir story in heian era japan? Complete with the dangerous woman walking into the gumshoe's office and hiring him for Trouble. But the attendant tropes often make womanhood out to be dangerous, evil, mysterious, or all three, and have, uh, rather specific ideas of sexuality that aren't all that acceptable in 2018, and certainly aren't anything i might want to endorse. While i can probably just leave the structure as-is and downlplay the various sexist bits, i honestly would prefer to see if i could find some interesting ways to turn the tropes themselves on their head in a more in-depth way.