Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

davidspackage posted:

Can you give this some context?

Sure: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/21/daniel-radcliffe-admits-hes-friends-with-some-really-fing-racist-people-6081533/

"I know some really f***ing racist people, friends I vehemently disagree with. They’re not white supremacists, they would never be that extreme, but they are anti-immigration and absolutely voted to leave in Brexit.’ He added: ‘And I’m still friends with them because I don’t think that friendship should be drawn along those lines. That’d be a really sad way of viewing the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

swiss army man was real bad. i dunno that any of the child actors from harry potter have done a good movie since, with the exception of tom felton doing rise of the planet of the apes

this is getting off topic but I liked The Bling Ring

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What else is there to say about this but:

Lmfao

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

peer posted:

Sure: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/21/daniel-radcliffe-admits-hes-friends-with-some-really-fing-racist-people-6081533/

"I know some really f***ing racist people, friends I vehemently disagree with. They’re not white supremacists, they would never be that extreme, but they are anti-immigration and absolutely voted to leave in Brexit.’ He added: ‘And I’m still friends with them because I don’t think that friendship should be drawn along those lines. That’d be a really sad way of viewing the world."

I don't know, it's hard to determine from that snippet but maybe he means that he won't cut them out of his life but instead try to convince them of a different viewpoint? I'm not saying you can't find him a prick or anything but seems harsh.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I don't know, it's hard to determine from that snippet but maybe he means that he won't cut them out of his life but instead try to convince them of a different viewpoint? I'm not saying you can't find him a prick or anything but seems harsh.

Seems charitable to assume he's trying hard to change his racist friends' minds when he doesn't mention that at all (though of course I don't know for sure). I've ended relationships with friends (and family) over them being "really loving racist" and while I can't demand everyone else do the same thing I'm sure as hell gonna judge him for it :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like he has a low bar for what counts as really loving racist more than anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Sounds like he has a low bar for what counts as really loving racist more than anything.

When he brings up brexit that's an indicator that his friends are really loving racist. It means he probably has friends who supported leaving the EU because they think brown people are ruining the country. A lot of seemingly normal and functional people have that viewpoint and yea it's super loving racist.

I'm American, and I wouldn't want to be friends with one of those "we need to cut legal immigration because minorities are ruining the economy" people because I know what's at the heart of that, it's racism plain and simple.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

When he brings up brexit that's an indicator that his friends are really loving racist. It means he probably has friends who supported leaving the EU because they think brown people are ruining the country.

Ergh...I mean...I have a good friend who voted for Brexit. She’s a black immigrant. It’s a bit more complicated than “supported Brexit = hates non-whites”.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That a vote for leave is equated with wants to murder all brown people is a pretty strong indicator he isn't interpreting events on the same level as goons.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

According to several surveys I saw shortly after the referendum, anti-immigrant sentiment was the main reason people voted Leave. Racist rhetoric and scaremongering also featured heavily in the Leave campaign

kinda like with Trump

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Ergh...I mean...I have a good friend who voted for Brexit. She’s a black immigrant. It’s a bit more complicated than “supported Brexit = hates non-whites”.

Absolutely, but when someone brings up that their friends are racist in the context of their brexit vote, I think we can put 2 and 2 together there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Look, that bus was very convincing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lmfao

He's lucky his new path in life is exactly the same as his old path in life!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lmfao

Jeeeeesus lol

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
In regards to the whole "having racist friends" thing in the UK, I don't you can really judge Radcliffe as a person over that poo poo. If I were to immediately cut contact with any racists I know, I would lose a good half of my customer base at work and disown some extremely old friends of mine who honestly are not racist because of their life experiences as such but rather because they were raised in an ignorant environment and its more learned behavior than horrible violent racists. Hell, if you ask them most of them will have friends from a wide spectrum of backgrounds and racial histories and will say stupid poo poo like "Oh yeah, That guys okay" but still will otherwise say stupid poo poo because that's how some of them were dragged up.

They are not really as bad people as it might sound, and often are just parroting poo poo their parents said. Its far better to actually engage with those sorts rather than to just let them sit in a loving bubble where they never have their view points challenged.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lmfao

The gently caress outta here with that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lmfao

Ell oh fucken ell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FiftySeven posted:

In regards to the whole "having racist friends" thing in the UK, I don't you can really judge Radcliffe as a person over that poo poo. If I were to immediately cut contact with any racists I know, I would lose a good half of my customer base at work and disown some extremely old friends of mine who honestly are not racist because of their life experiences as such but rather because they were raised in an ignorant environment and its more learned behavior than horrible violent racists. Hell, if you ask them most of them will have friends from a wide spectrum of backgrounds and racial histories and will say stupid poo poo like "Oh yeah, That guys okay" but still will otherwise say stupid poo poo because that's how some of them were dragged up.

They are not really as bad people as it might sound, and often are just parroting poo poo their parents said. Its far better to actually engage with those sorts rather than to just let them sit in a loving bubble where they never have their view points challenged.

i don't talk to my brother because he's a big trump guy now. once you're a grown up you don't get to go "oh i was raised that way".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah I don’t want to be friends with someone who thinks black people are just biologically bad at swimming or whatever passes for milquetoast racism these days.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah I don’t want to be friends with someone who thinks black people are just biologically bad at swimming or whatever passes for milquetoast racism these days.

In my experience it's just asking the question of why the Middle East is so violent.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snowman_McK posted:

In my experience it's just asking the question of why the Middle East is so violent.

My problem is that I visually pass for a Republican (straight people are weird), so people like to open up with their nonsense to me and it means I hear some really grim poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How do you pass for a republican? What does that mean?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

How do you pass for a republican? What does that mean?

I am large and bearded and I wear flannel and for a lot of people that scans as right-wing.

edit: and I live in a very progressive city so I think a lot of right-wing people here feel attacked or threatened, so they approach me as some kind of safe haven or something? I once heard it referred to as the "dog park effect" via an anecdote by someone, a millennial, who had a golden retriever, and all the other people his age had smaller or more boutique dogs at the dog park, so the older, right-wing people with big, manly dogs would try to commingle with him and talk to him like he wasn't one of those weirdos, which meant he heard a lot of unsolicited bigotry as back-slapping commiseration.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 28, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first guy that figured out that you can rehabilitate your piece of poo poo ways by becoming a Buddhist or whatever must've felt like a god.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The first guy that figured out that you can rehabilitate your piece of poo poo ways by becoming a Buddhist or whatever must've felt like a god.

Uh, Siddhartha Gautama?

Edit: Is that the joke? poo poo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My problem is that I visually pass for a Republican (straight people are weird), so people like to open up with their nonsense to me and it means I hear some really grim poo poo.

I have the same problem, so I grew a beard and started wearing ironic t-shirts. Bus rides got a lot less interesting, taxis too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

Uh, Siddhartha Gautama?

Edit: Is that the joke? poo poo

Yes, lol.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't talk to my brother because he's a big trump guy now. once you're a grown up you don't get to go "oh i was raised that way".

I am not really talking about that sort of racist truth be told, and even if I were, I agree that "oh i was raised that way" is a lousy excuse. Fact is though that there is just a lot of casual racism that flies around and often goes completely unchallenged. I prefer to actually engage with those sorts of people and try to be a positive influence rather than shut myself off into a safe space and act like there is no chance of anyone changing. An old housemate of mine would come out with the oddest poo poo every now and then that was just racist in the most stupid sense and every time I would ask him "what do you even mean when you say that?" and eventually it happened less and less and now its basically never. He also used to do stupid poo poo like cat call girls in the street and we managed to stamp that out too.

People will occasionally say and do crap things, but if you think anything gets solved by isolating yourself from the problem then you are kidding yourself. Sometimes, another part of being a grown up is knowing that certain things in life are unavoidably going to go against your sensibilities and knowing that if you cant get away from them then at least you can try and deal with them in a mature way.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'd rather try and be a positive influence on people than cut friends out of my life. If they're actively being malicious or harming people, yeah, then I would probably just drop them. But I'm not going to stop being around someone I care about just because they have some dumb ideas or a narrow world view.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
It's honestly very surprising that Devin Faraci hasn't killed himself or started over in another country. Look at how furious people were over him getting paid to do movie-criticism-stuff with the Alamo Drafthouse guy.

Well, maybe that's what a normal shame-feeling person would do. I guess it's not surprising at all that he's back on Twitter arguing with/at the same people as last time

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is getting off topic but I liked The Bling Ring

oooh, yes. ok two

Lmfao

lol

Rose Tico has the wisdom of the Buddha.

“That’s how we’ll win,” she tells Finn in The Last Jedi. “Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love.”

Those words echo the Buddha’s in The Dhammapada:

“Hatreds never cease through hatred in this world; through love alone they cease. This is an eternal law.”

Eternal as in, it’s also true in a galaxy far, far away.

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 28, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Analytic Engine posted:

It's honestly very surprising that Devin Faraci hasn't killed himself or started over in another country. Look at how furious people were over him getting paid to do movie-criticism-stuff with the Alamo Drafthouse guy.

Well, maybe that's what a normal shame-feeling person would do. I guess it's not surprising at all that he's back on Twitter arguing with/at the same people as last time

It’s because he’s trying to frame this whole thing as a redemption narrative, of which this is only the second act.

(It’s going to be a very long second act)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

It’s because he’s trying to frame this whole thing as a redemption narrative, of which this is only the second act.

(It’s going to be a very long second act)

For a guy espousing twelve-step stuff, he seems to have conveniently forgotten the eleventh tradition ("attraction rather than promotion; we
need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films"). Truly shocking, really.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Lmfao

Lol, I remember devincf from the old Chud Politics message boards. He was hilarious; great writer and poster, made even more so because we were on the same side of the politics. But in hindsight the guy made Tiny Brontosaurus look like a church mouse. He was an enormously obnoxious rear end in a top hat even before being an enormously obnoxious rear end in a top hat was cool.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I followed Devin on twitter for awhile and he’s just the most combative rear end in a top hat. Anytime someone even hinted and criticizing him he’d respond in the most scathing way imaginable.

This pathetic attempt at redemption isn’t going to do much imo.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://twitter.com/mimbale/status/968699936295436288?s=21

:catstare:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
SWF?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does SWFed mean

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Single White Female

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Devin Faraci gonna ice Steven Webber with a high heel shoe.

But in all sincerity, that’s some really creepy obsession-type poo poo.