Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randarkman posted:

Doesn't repugnant affect other specie's happiness if they are on the same planet? Opposite of charismatic really. Or at least that's kind of what I think "other species owner happiness" means.

I don't think I'm going to hit them with solitary, though it would make them more of a problem. Really the aim here is to make an empire that exports its population to other empires, and in those empires they are just these troublesome fuckers who want slaves, deviate from governing ethics and creep everyone the gently caress out. It doesn't matter that much if their own empire is a shithole as well, though I might make them authoritarian and see if they still end up as a Migratory Flock that way.

Well, drat. But yeah, having these guys in your empire making everyone else more xenophobic is also fun.
Nah, keep decadent kind of an rear end in a top hat trait. It's funnier if they're not actually bad people, just a bunch of birds pissing everyone off with the never ending cacophony of political poo poo throwing that their society considers polite conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The war is over!

The Athalid Horde have been extinguished, their empire reduced to rubble, their species exterminated. What remains of them are scattered outposts. Their legacy will be a children's bedtime story, as we wipe them clean from the Galaxy.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
After experimenting with it, there is something extremely fucky going on the Mind over Matter perk. It's splitting my subspecies into entirely new species, which makes the xenophobes hate and enslave them automatically, and adding the psionic trait seems to make my starter species no longer considered as that by the factions.

Before picking Mind over Matter

And after.

I'm guessing the game just copies and deletes your pops to add the psionic trait and that confuses things somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr. Vile posted:

After experimenting with it, there is something extremely fucky going on the Mind over Matter perk. It's splitting my subspecies into entirely new species, which makes the xenophobes hate and enslave them automatically, and adding the psionic trait seems to make my starter species no longer considered as that by the factions.

And after.

I'm guessing the game just copies and deletes your pops to add the psionic trait and that confuses things somehow.

Psionics have been loving with the primacy of species for a long time, alas.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Psionics have been loving with the primacy of species for a long time, alas.

Mr. Vile posted:

And after.

yeah its been that way forever which is ridiculous.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
I wish there was some sort of built up to stuff like pirates. Whenever they show up they always seem to be 50percent stronger than my fleets combined.
If they got that powerful by being ignored by the player then I'd rexpect that something poo poo happens. I quite like the dangerous anomalies and advanced cultures events but these pirate events feel forced and like a mandatory speed bump to roll the player back. That's another thing that I don't like is the ai fleet sizes, they always seem to be massive compared to mine.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

numptyboy posted:

I wish there was some sort of built up to stuff like pirates. Whenever they show up they always seem to be 50percent stronger than my fleets combined.
If they got that powerful by being ignored by the player then I'd rexpect that something poo poo happens. I quite like the dangerous anomalies and advanced cultures events but these pirate events feel forced and like a mandatory speed bump to roll the player back. That's another thing that I don't like is the ai fleet sizes, they always seem to be massive compared to mine.

I think you must be doing something weird with fleets - my pirates are always roughly equal to one of my fleets (with poo poo design), so about half my naval capacity. What difficulty are you playing on?

Also, it took me 240 years to figure this out: you can build defense platforms on non-upgraded outposts. That helps with pirates, a lot.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I literally can't comprehend how people have trouble with pirates. Where the hell are you putting your fleets that you can't get there before they blow up multiple systems of mining stations? Or are stronger than even one your fleets?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

I literally can't comprehend how people have trouble with pirates. Where the hell are you putting your fleets that you can't get there before they blow up multiple systems of mining stations? Or are stronger than even one your fleets?

Early on there shouldn't be a huge deal, but you really do have to build at least one defensive platform in systems that are at risk, since one platform and the basic star outpost can usually handle 400-600 strength pirates, later on you have to add platforms to at risk stars though, and eventually the basic star and 3 platforms can't handle them on their own, but by the time that happens you should have a developed galaxy and a very easy time pinpointing where they're going to pop in. It's also possible people are referring to the marauder empires as pirates, and they will happily murder anything in line with where they're going and you really have no chance against them until at least midgame

Also still disappointed you can't make a spiritualist machine intelligence b/c i really want to do that as a concept. Machine intels are probably my favorite to play but there's not a lot of variety to them

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 28, 2018

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Has anybody else had issues with auto-fleeing since this patch? I've had constructors and science ships flee into an enemy fleet instead of just bailing to the nearest hyperlane.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DatonKallandor posted:

On a huge map (which is all I play on) it can take in-game years to get your ships over to where the pirates are. That's the only time I've had issues.

Oh actually - I killed the Mauraders and their space all instantly spawned pirates. Which is really dumb since I've just killed the pirates there lore wise.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How do you trigger the End of the Cycle? I've had a Covenant with the Instrument of Desire for nearly a century, and there have been no consequences, outside of the Shroud running out of flavor text and just being a vehicle for random minor buffs.

Also, it seems you can't end the Unbidden crisis if the portal is in a system with an inhabited planet. The three Awakened empires in my galaxy teamed up and blew the gently caress out of their portal, but now their fleets are just kind of hovering over the planet, unable to do anything about it. It can't be invaded or cracked since technically the Unbidden aren't at war with anyone.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How do you trigger the End of the Cycle? I've had a Covenant with the Instrument of Desire for nearly a century, and there have been no consequences, outside of the Shroud running out of flavor text and just being a vehicle for random minor buffs.

Also, it seems you can't end the Unbidden crisis if the portal is in a system with an inhabited planet. The three Awakened empires in my galaxy teamed up and blew the gently caress out of their portal, but now their fleets are just kind of hovering over the planet, unable to do anything about it. It can't be invaded or cracked since technically the Unbidden aren't at war with anyone.

The End of the Cycle is a special event that only happens when you interact with the void being of the same name.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think you can get it if you have a covenant with any of the others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh. Well, rip, I guess I am officially out of things to do with my pacifist empire.

E: Is there any way to console/save edit it up? I've already built up a lovely sheltered paradise, and it would be a shame for nothing to happen to it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 28, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Taear posted:

On a huge map (which is all I play on) it can take in-game years to get your ships over to where the pirates are. That's the only time I've had issues.

Also a huge map player, but I've not seen serious pirate issues. That said, I've been doing tech builds and only expanding when I'm out of science or minerals to build, which keeps me in a very defensible position (and my upgraded fleet able to quickly grab a system or two in an early war, if I really hate how I was cut off). Since I naturally have improvements in what I already own, I tend to have either a fleet/starbase already there or a fast picket fleet ready to turn up at a moments notice.

Pirates seem like the game's way of telling you to slow down and build a little to keep your poo poo defensible.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So, uh, regarding the previous discussion on system/planet tradition/tech cost increases and figuring out if a system is worth it, I think a good way is to basically calculate how much unity/science you're losing to inflation. Now, if you're not an idiot, you write a function to do that in whatever programming language. If you are an idiot, after that you decide that a simple web page would be a more convenient UI, and wouldn't take that long to make. Future idiots don't need to do that though. Unless they want to make one that's not kinda lovely I guess. If you have any complaints/suggestions you can post them here but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll care enough to spend more time on this. (The source code also badly needs refactoring so I don't really want anyone to see it.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Staltran posted:

So, uh, regarding the previous discussion on system/planet tradition/tech cost increases and figuring out if a system is worth it, I think a good way is to basically calculate how much unity/science you're losing to inflation. Now, if you're not an idiot, you write a function to do that in whatever programming language. If you are an idiot, after that you decide that a simple web page would be a more convenient UI, and wouldn't take that long to make. Future idiots don't need to do that though. Unless they want to make one that's not kinda lovely I guess. If you have any complaints/suggestions you can post them here but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll care enough to spend more time on this. (The source code also badly needs refactoring so I don't really want anyone to see it.)

Thank god I'm an idiot, and thank you for not being one!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Staltran posted:

Wow that's really cool. I was just thinking last night how lovely it is I'm making these decisions to expand based on "feel" when the math is right there for me to "know". Not a very fanatic materialist decision-making process! Thanks!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Pfft, I'm playing a devouring swarm. Inflation is meaningless; systems that I don't own are incorrect.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pfft, I'm playing a devouring swarm. Inflation is meaningless; systems that I don't own are incorrect.

i play like this most of the time, but i always make curator and artist troupe deals and build every unity building on every planet i get, i've never hit *too* long of a wait between unity gains.

I just want it all

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't have any modding experience with this game, so I'm not sure how feasible this is: Would it be possible to make a mod that allowed ships to enter hyperlanes to any linked system from anywhere outside the gravity well, as opposed to having to fly all the way through to go to a system on the other side? I think this would be big improvement over the current system although hyperdrive charge time would have to be nerfed somewhat. Maybe also a further reduction in charge time in enemy territory, so that you can't just easily gank someone's capital before they can react. It would also have the side benefit of making hyperdrive research the main limiting factor for FTL movement as opposed to sublight being king like it is right now.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'll probably (at some point) add the option to calculate the science stuff by category instead of adding physics/engineering/society together, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Okay folks I need some advice. I'm in an amazing place in my Iron Man Hive Mind game on 0.75 hyperlane density. I'm hemmed in by a friendly Machine Intelligence to my south, the 10k Old Guard Pirate stack blocking my west, and my east is a ridiculously lush unclaimed space I have free reign to expand into including a ruined ring world. There is just ONE SMALL PROBLEM.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/929302799332098250/F42046CECAFAE7368E9C6300586BB56344339745/

In 2245 this rear end in a top hat is gonna come out of the Pulsar literally right next door to me and start loving my poo poo up. I have a rough plan to deal with him. I'm going to build a Star Fort on top of the Pulsar, load it for bear with Defense Platforms and build two fleets of 30~ corvettes each and stick on top of the star for when he shows his face. I have a shipyard in the adjacent star system and the plan is to just reinforce high evasion corvettes faster than he can kill them and hope they distract him long enough for the defense platform star fort to kill his dumb rear end.

My question is: What the gently caress defenses does the Spectral Wraith have cuz I need to counter them and none of the online resources seem to detail whether he's got shields or not. My weapon tech is limited so I need to know what to bring.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
How feasible this is depends on how much Wiz has cleaned up the code base. If the part of the code allowing for this has been deleted like the code for warp, the answer is: :lol:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Reposting about conquest and hive minds real quick

There's an empire of machine empire assimilators to the north. If I take one of their planets will their pops start dying off? Do I need to set them to be purged? How long does this process take? Is there any difference between regular hive minds and machine empires in terms of pop death?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Reposting about conquest and hive minds real quick

There's an empire of machine empire assimilators to the north. If I take one of their planets will their pops start dying off? Do I need to set them to be purged? How long does this process take? Is there any difference between regular hive minds and machine empires in terms of pop death?

They die off automatically after a couple of years. You don't have to take any action, and there's no action I'm aware of that'll stop them dying off. Seems to be the same as with organic hive minds.

Which is a shame, I'd like to unplug the Borg after I conquer them but they all just fall to bits.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gort posted:

They die off automatically after a couple of years. You don't have to take any action, and there's no action I'm aware of that'll stop them dying off. Seems to be the same as with organic hive minds.

Which is a shame, I'd like to unplug the Borg after I conquer them but they all just fall to bits.

Thanks for clarifying. One last thing. If I end up conquering a hive mind planet that is not habitable for the dudes I'm playing, when the last hive mind pop dies off, does anyone know if the planet gets abandoned? Or does it just stay there with the structures but no pop?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Thanks for clarifying. One last thing. If I end up conquering a hive mind planet that is not habitable for the dudes I'm playing, when the last hive mind pop dies off, does anyone know if the planet gets abandoned? Or does it just stay there with the structures but no pop?

It will be completely abandoned and no longer considered a colony, but if you recolonize it I think the structures should still be there? Resettling a single pop on it would be enough to keep it if you want to do that.
E: nevermind just noticed the part about habitability. If your plan is to terraform and colonize later I am not sure if the structures would stay or not

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 28, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Okay folks I need some advice. I'm in an amazing place in my Iron Man Hive Mind game on 0.75 hyperlane density. I'm hemmed in by a friendly Machine Intelligence to my south, the 10k Old Guard Pirate stack blocking my west, and my east is a ridiculously lush unclaimed space I have free reign to expand into including a ruined ring world. There is just ONE SMALL PROBLEM.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/929302799332098250/F42046CECAFAE7368E9C6300586BB56344339745/

In 2245 this rear end in a top hat is gonna come out of the Pulsar literally right next door to me and start loving my poo poo up. I have a rough plan to deal with him. I'm going to build a Star Fort on top of the Pulsar, load it for bear with Defense Platforms and build two fleets of 30~ corvettes each and stick on top of the star for when he shows his face. I have a shipyard in the adjacent star system and the plan is to just reinforce high evasion corvettes faster than he can kill them and hope they distract him long enough for the defense platform star fort to kill his dumb rear end.

My question is: What the gently caress defenses does the Spectral Wraith have cuz I need to counter them and none of the online resources seem to detail whether he's got shields or not. My weapon tech is limited so I need to know what to bring.

depending on type wraiths are weaker in systems with certain star colors, and their weapons also hinge on their color, too. i dont think you can find out though until it spawns. Also remember pulsars nullify shields, so build custom platforms without shields attached. This can at least let you stick more armor modules on them

probably your best shot of taking it out in the pulsar since at least that aspect is predictable. Fortifying the next door systems is also recommended due to the auto-repair they have, otherwise all your work is for naught

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 28, 2018

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
So as someone who has owned this for a while and picked up the new expansions, but hasn't actually figured out how to be Good at it, are there any good getting started tips or advice you all have? I messed around a bit with a couple games but still struggle a bit when it comes to balancing my expansion and tech, etc. Any tips on a civ setup for learning the ropes? Key things to know in the current 2.0 build?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So as someone who has owned this for a while and picked up the new expansions, but hasn't actually figured out how to be Good at it, are there any good getting started tips or advice you all have? I messed around a bit with a couple games but still struggle a bit when it comes to balancing my expansion and tech, etc. Any tips on a civ setup for learning the ropes? Key things to know in the current 2.0 build?

Play a Fanatic Authoritarian with the Slaving and Mining Guild civics. Spend your minerals on whatever you fancy, but ensure that your fleet is at cap, you've built starbases on choke points and your other starbases are split between Trading Hubs and Anchorages.

This should take you a reasonably long way on Normal.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It gets abandoned. If you know how, you can build a robot and even a partially built robot pop will be enough to hold the planet for you. Otherwise, you'll just lose it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

jng2058 posted:

It gets abandoned. If you know how, you can build a robot and even a partially built robot pop will be enough to hold the planet for you. Otherwise, you'll just lose it.

Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated :tipshat:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gadzuko posted:

I don't have any modding experience with this game, so I'm not sure how feasible this is: Would it be possible to make a mod that allowed ships to enter hyperlanes to any linked system from anywhere outside the gravity well, as opposed to having to fly all the way through to go to a system on the other side? I think this would be big improvement over the current system although hyperdrive charge time would have to be nerfed somewhat. Maybe also a further reduction in charge time in enemy territory, so that you can't just easily gank someone's capital before they can react. It would also have the side benefit of making hyperdrive research the main limiting factor for FTL movement as opposed to sublight being king like it is right now.

That's how it used to work, and I hated it. A enemy fleet would enter your system, you'd truck your fleet towards them and they'd warp out before you could reach them, effectively using the exit point behind you. They could basically teleport past you and leave you chasing them into your own territory. Sucked.

I think the real solution is buffing sublight engine tech more.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Minerals are the key bottleneck in the early game and you should prioritize getting more of them when you decide to expand. The 75 influence per starbase cost will naturally slow down your expansion, so strategically pick systems with great mineral resources.

Try to have 6 Corvettes or so by end of the 10th year when the pirates come.

Slaves and caste systems are thematic and fun, but require a good amount of micromanagement and don't really give much better results than an empire where everyone is equal and have high happiness. If you're learning the game, be an egalitarian.

My first moves when starting a new game are: pause - pick research (generally grabbing the advanced labs if available. Planetary Unification is a first pick from Society if available) - build a monument in an empty tile - build a mineral mine with your constructor - send science ship in direction you most want to expand based on geography - unpause.

Expansion and Discovery are both solid traditions to pick up early.

As soon as I have 200 energy, I build another science ship and hire a scientist and send him exploring in a different direction than the first one.

Those are my general starting tips, if you have more specific questions people are happy to help.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Same here, buddy. I really want to see one. I put max FEs in this game in hope and it's 2438 with nothing happening yet. Half the cool events people post in the thread I've never seen. I don't know what the Contingency is, the crisis is the Unbidden 100% of the time, there's some kind of event chain where you get a ringworld? Rebellions?

Honestly the War in Heaven, even when it works correctly, is pretty underwhelming. At least in 2.0. It took until after 2400 for my FEs to wake up, and they decided to show up to the party with some stacks that were straight-up inferior to what I was fielding at that point. Didn't even need to specialize or pay attention to what they were using.

Contingency has been a little more challenging, one of their worlds popped up right in the middle of my territory. I did destroy the world but took too many losses to immediately set out and destroy the others (1.5x Crisis strength). We'll see how it plays out. Overall though I don't feel a lot has changed in the endgame aside from making it a more annoying to get around, even a maxed-out Bastion starbase is barely going to register as a speedbump to the Contingency's incursion fleets. So that stuff is basically irrelevant.

That Ghost Signal thing sounds really annoying though.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I know ship design is a whole can of worms to open up, but in general do you want multiple versions of each class to fill different roles now or are there more or less 'optimal' setups for each ship class you want to stack?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are any of you using 2000+ galaxy mods like I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Grouchio posted:

Are any of you using 2000+ galaxy mods like I am?

Game runs to slow past mid-game on way less. :lol: