Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also: Klingberg and Benn own. I don't have the time to confirm rn, but if he pulls it off, I imagine the John will eclipse Jamie as the latest draft pick to accomplish the feat.

Benn - 129th overall
Klingberg - 131st overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hey everyone Eric Staal had a hat trick tonight.

HE HAS 33 GOALS what in the gently caress

He also scored 28 goals last year -- something I didn't know until I just checked. How the gently caress is Eric Staal a PPG player this year?

Levitate posted:

gently caress that goddamn rear end in a top hat

Rangers made a dumb trade for him and he played like poo poo and then pouted that he wasn't used as their top center when they had two guys playing better than him anyways. Then he hosed off and now has a career revival in Minnesota

I completely forgot that Staal played for the Rangers.

a false posted:

because i hate myself, i went back in every team's history to find their most recent draftee to score 70 points for them (ie, not after being traded to another team; and not a player acquired via trade/free agency). i wanted to see if anyone could have possibly done worse than the rangers in this category. years are draft years. let's find out!

Toronto Maple Leafs - Nikolai Borschevsky (1992) (Auston Matthews will surely eclipse this very soon, and Marner and Nylander very well may also)

Borschevsky is a Leafs legend.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

a false posted:

i sure loving hope so. doing this got me very angry about all the times i finally thought the rangers had drafted a real actual star player and got burned. honestly, if we were to finally for once in my lifetime draft, develop, and keep a player who is a legitimate star (lundqvist notwithstanding because goalies are different) i might even be able to stomach yet another decade of not winning a cup. i still have hope for buchnevich and i really would love chytil to pan out that way but i think going through these stats has given me ptsd and now i don't want to think about hockey again until the draft, where i will surely find yet another guy to pin my hopes on that will probably end up amounting to a 20 goal 40 point guy at best (or have his heart explode in a foreign country)

Can confirm: getting to watch Ovechkin and Backstrom for the last decade+ almost makes the playoff heartache worth it. There will come a point too where I would rather watch the team burn down around them then see either one leave Washington for the sake of a rebuild.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Max Pacioretty scored 39 goals 4 years ago, and only had 60 points because there's nobody else to pass to on that team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I bet McDavid feels great after he got publicly shamed into taking less money so the Oilers could be competitive :lol:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rangers absolute trash history with the draft was one way I made myself feel better about trading away so many picks the last three seasons in the name of 'goin for it!' like, wtf would they have done with them anyway, right? Right?? :toot:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

I bet McDavid feels great after he got publicly shamed into taking less money so the Oilers could be competitive :lol:

I will never forget the pic of him when Edmonton won the 1OA pick and he looked like a guy who had seen a video from the future of his own death

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Rangers absolute trash history with the draft was one way I made myself feel better about trading away so many picks the last three seasons in the name of 'goin for it!' like, wtf would they have done with them anyway, right? Right?? :toot:

Between 2008 and 2011 they drafted Stepan, Del Zotto, Kreider, Fast and Miller. None of those guys are world beaters, but that's a pretty drat good supporting cast. Outside of the top 3-5 picks in the draft, a first round pick has maybe a 1 in 15 chance of being a certifiable star player. The Rangers were considerably above average success wise during that stretch. :shrug:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Lessail posted:

I'm pissed and overreacting but McPhee ruined the team by getting Reaves

Definitely a dumb acquisition. The last thing I thought they needed was toughness aka guy who takes bad penalties. Hopefully Gallant was only playing him because it was his first game after the trade on the tail end of a home and home series. He really has no business being out there during the final five minutes otherwise. I suspect he'll be scratched or limited in minutes going forward.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I will never forget the pic of him when Edmonton won the 1OA pick and he looked like a guy who had seen a video from the future of his own death

To think, one fluke season and he committed to spending the entirety of his 20s there. Enjoy the permafrost Connor.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

Between 2008 and 2011 they drafted Stepan, Del Zotto, Kreider, Fast and Miller. None of those guys are world beaters, but that's a pretty drat good supporting cast. Outside of the top 3-5 picks in the draft, a first round pick has maybe a 1 in 15 chance of being a certifiable star player. The Rangers were considerably above average success wise during that stretch. :shrug:

I agree. It's one of the reasons I'm not too worried about the rebuild. Gordie has done a pretty good job with the draft outside of McIlrath.

The year we took Duclair and Buchnevich in the third round, those were our first picks in that draft.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think how loving annoying and dominant a team would have been if McDavid had gone to someone that could field a competent squad.

Like for never-gonna-happen funsies, imagine a world where he landed on the penguins.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Some day, Oilers players will get smart and start insisting on trade clauses (the opposite of NTC) where the Oilers can have a 5-team list of teams they don’t have to trade you to for a conditional draft pick. I’m thinking this should go in the next CBA.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I was at a training event for work yesterday that had some folks from our offices around the country, and wound up chatting about the Pens with a guy from Pitt. He asked what I thought of the Pens TDL moves. I saw a bit of sadness in his eyes, so instead of saying that JR’s best move was getting rid of Reaves, I said I was happy about Brass and that Reaves was fun to watch but just didn’t have the speed or scoring touch for Sullivan’s Penguins. He was pained, but knew this to be true, and muttered something wistfully about the game changing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

true enough, but i think you can argue that their failures in 2003 and 2010 (probably the two best drafts of the last 20 years) when they had every opportunity to secure an elite talent (and when pretty much half the league or better managed to) eradicate most of their minor successes across that span.

i know that getting elite scorers in the draft is rare and that it's a crapshoot to a significant extent but as the post i made before shows, pretty much everyone has managed to do it at least once in the last 30 loving years except for the rangers

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
one caveat is that cherepanov probably would have been an extremely good to elite scorer in the nhl, but we all know what happened there. i still think that scared them away from tarasenko.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ThinkTank's list is a good one, we have had some W's in the draft, but I have never watched a Rangers team in my famdom (got into hockey in 07ish) wherein they had undeniable elite 1st line talent, like, players the rest of the league would kill to get. It's just this never ending cast of 2nd and 3rd liners being asked to overachieve. Under Torts, they did that. Under AV? Not so much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the Rangers were dumb enough to avoid Tarasenko because a different Russian player they drafted had a heart condition they deserve their middling forwards.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

If the Rangers were dumb enough to avoid Tarasenko because a different Russian player they drafted had a heart condition they deserve their middling forwards.

I'm pretty sure it was just a dumb and bad pick. And thanks, a lot of those middling forwards were pretty drat good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Rangers also have the bonus of being one of a handful of teams that generally won't have trouble attracting free agents, in my opinion. I think some teams have trouble getting the big names to sign with them if they're not already a contender or close to it. Guys will always want to play in New York City for an original six team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hey everyone Eric Staal had a hat trick tonight.

HE HAS 33 GOALS what in the gently caress

He flies under the radar because there's about as much attention paid to the Wild as there is the Canes

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Rangers also have the bonus of being one of a handful of teams that generally won't have trouble attracting free agents, in my opinion. I think some teams have trouble getting the big names to sign with them if they're not already a contender or close to it. Guys will always want to play in New York City for an original six team.

this is true but getting good free agents, especially with the current free agency rules preventing most of the best players from becoming UFAs after the peak of their prime, is no substitute for building from the draft

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I had a dream where I won a signed Jiri Sekac jersey in a raffle

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
blues definitely might miss the playoffs

this is not a thing i thought was a possibility in october

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^^^^beat me to it!

So, I think I am going to call it, and decide that the St Louis Blues are, at the moment, bad at hockey.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I really just cannot fathom being an Oilers fan
This year I bought a quarter-share in a season ticket package.

The last three games I've been to, the Oilers lost by an aggregate of 14-0.

It, uh, it hurts a bit.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I had a dream where I won a signed Jiri Sekac jersey in a raffle

The only two things I remember about that guy is Habs fans insisting he'd be a star if it weren't for Therrien and that his name is the word "cakes" spelled backwards.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Aphrodite posted:

seems like a better reason than whatever caused boston to avoid barzal

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/968867599789576193

:stare:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Max Pacioretty scored 39 goals 4 years ago, and only had 60 points because there's nobody else to pass to on that team.

Also because Max Pacioretty doesn't know how to pass

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a false posted:

Extended Cup hangover.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

a false posted:

They learned their lesson from the whole Seguin situation.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

a false posted:

nashville, by the way, is a weird outlier in all of this. i could see arvidsson or fiala getting there for them but their entire franchise history has produced very few 70 point players by any means of acquisition and yet they've often been good and never quite terrible

Forsberg maybe could have hit 70 this year if he hadn't been injured / suspended. They've also never had anyone score more than 33 goals in a season, which is kinda crazy. Whenever they have been good it was a "scoring by committee" situation. Like, this year they may not have a single 30 goal scorer but they might end up with 6 20-goal scorers and are 8th if gf/g. They also get a lot of points from defensemen, so that probably reduces points of forwards.

e: but yeah, only Arnott, Dumont, and Kariya ever topped 70 (Kariya hit 85 one year) and those were all trades or FA.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 28, 2018

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
They didn't draft Forsberg. :suicide:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Slappy Pappy posted:

They didn't draft Forsberg. :suicide:

Oh right, lol

e: I think Radulov is on pace to be the first 70 pointer this year!

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the thing i'm going to really miss about the blues being out of the playoffs isn't so much the missing the playoffs, it is not being able to develop a seething hatred of some other city and its fan base

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bewbies posted:

blues definitely might miss the playoffs

this is not a thing i thought was a possibility in october

I wonder how bad the Stastny trade pissed off the boys

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The Dirty Burger posted:

I wonder how bad the Stastny trade pissed off the boys

Easy to guess based on Schenn's comments from Monday, and the wet fart they had on the ice last night.

quote:

“Really one or two points out and move a guy that does a lot for us,” Schenn said early Monday afternoon. “I didn’t expect Stastny to be moved, but I guess with his contract expiring, them getting picks to be used elsewhere or to draft, you kind of just go from there and we’ll see what happens in the next hour here.”

But the trade deadline came and went Monday with no additional moves by the team, meaning the Blues subtracted instead of added at the NHL trade deadline.

“Maybe it will fire guys up, give guys more opportunity to do more and that’s one way you can look at it,” Schenn said. “Teams that are one or two out are kind of loading up right now and we’re one or two out and we kind of ... went the other way."

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Loqieu posted:

Easy to guess based on Schenn's comments from Monday, and the wet fart they had on the ice last night.

Schenn wasn't there for it but they sort of did the same thing last year dealing Shattenkirk at the deadline and then making the 2nd round. Though I think they really tore it up after the deadline so they might have been out of playoff position when the trade was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

yeah their problem is that they have very very rarely drafted high and also have had some major wiffs (Brendl and Lundmark in 99, Jessiman in 2003 when they could have had Parise, Getzlaf, etc. McIlrath in 2010 when they could have taken Tarasenko) not to mention one time when they had a real good talent fall to them, Cherepanov ended up dying.

Andersson last year also doesn't seem like a 70 point player but is probably still going to be a good pick. Chytil maybe has that little bit of something extra that could turn him into a legit offensive star so we'll see how that works out...but assuming their draft pick this year is going to be in the top 10 they really need to hit it big. Maybe even top 5 if they're lucky...

• Locked thread