Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Splicer posted:

I'd be (temporarily) satisfied if it just triggered the same "We're coming to blow up your poo poo, pay us not to" that spontaneous raiding does.

Heck, let me pay an annual protection racket fee so they can't pick me as a target and they'll not blow up my stuff on the way past to other people and I'll upgrade to "happy".

My solution for this is to set the Marauder slider to 0. Seems to solve all the complaints about this mechanic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I know ship design is a whole can of worms to open up, but in general do you want multiple versions of each class to fill different roles now or are there more or less 'optimal' setups for each ship class you want to stack?

Here's what I've been doing. Note this is the mid to late game.

20-25 Torpedo Boat Corvettes armed with my strongest torpedos with a swarm AI
10-15 Picket Corvettes with point defense weapons set to picket AI
5-10 Picket Destroyers with point defense weapons set to picket AI
5-10 Light Ships of the Line (Destroyers with medium weapons and a line AI)
5-8 Heavy Ships of the Line (Cruisers with medium weapons, a hanger and a line AI)
2-3 Artillery Battleships (Battleships with heavy weapons and the artillery AI)
1 Titan (X-class weapons and artillery AI)

You should play with what *kind* of weapons you're using but this set up seems to shred everyone.

edit:

If you really want to get into optimization though here's my thought. You should put weapons that shred shields or armor on your artillery. They should be able to engage quickly and wear down the defenses of the enemy. The goal is to weaken everyone with the artillery and then use the torpedo boats to rack up the kills. The Picket Corvettes/Destroyers serve as your defense and prevent the enemy from using the same torpedo swarm on you. Ships of the Line are to keep anyone from getting into the face of your artillery and screwing them up while also dealing with anything too beefy for the torpedo boats.

Based on that you'll want to assign weapons based on role (unless of course you know your enemy's composition in which case optimize to that)

Torpedo Boats get whatever category of torpedo is strongest. They shouldn't need to worry about shields/armor so just give whatever hits the hardest.

Picket Ships get the strongest point-defense available. Their goal is to shoot down any missiles/fighters that launch so optimize for that rather than pure damage dealing.

Ships of the Line should emphasize one of armor/shield destruction, whichever one you don't optimize for on your artillery.

Artillery should really only be used to soften up targets for everyone else, so anything that does bonus damage to shields or armor are great here and you shouldn't worry about any hull penalties as the Torpedo Boats will take care of the kill shots.

I will say for the first time ever in this game ship designing is fun and isn't just "spam a ship type endlessly". It pays to think things through a bit more now.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 28, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I just started up a game as the UN with all my custom empires set to spawn. Anyway, this is how the Alpha Centauri system spawned.

Yikes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

So, uh, regarding the previous discussion on system/planet tradition/tech cost increases and figuring out if a system is worth it, I think a good way is to basically calculate how much unity/science you're losing to inflation. Now, if you're not an idiot, you write a function to do that in whatever programming language. If you are an idiot, after that you decide that a simple web page would be a more convenient UI, and wouldn't take that long to make. Future idiots don't need to do that though. Unless they want to make one that's not kinda lovely I guess. If you have any complaints/suggestions you can post them here but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll care enough to spend more time on this. (The source code also badly needs refactoring so I don't really want anyone to see it.)
Doing poo poo like this is why I am trying to learn how to code. Nice job.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

Okay folks I need some advice. I'm in an amazing place in my Iron Man Hive Mind game on 0.75 hyperlane density. I'm hemmed in by a friendly Machine Intelligence to my south, the 10k Old Guard Pirate stack blocking my west, and my east is a ridiculously lush unclaimed space I have free reign to expand into including a ruined ring world. There is just ONE SMALL PROBLEM.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/929302799332098250/F42046CECAFAE7368E9C6300586BB56344339745/

In 2245 this rear end in a top hat is gonna come out of the Pulsar literally right next door to me and start loving my poo poo up. I have a rough plan to deal with him. I'm going to build a Star Fort on top of the Pulsar, load it for bear with Defense Platforms and build two fleets of 30~ corvettes each and stick on top of the star for when he shows his face. I have a shipyard in the adjacent star system and the plan is to just reinforce high evasion corvettes faster than he can kill them and hope they distract him long enough for the defense platform star fort to kill his dumb rear end.

My question is: What the gently caress defenses does the Spectral Wraith have cuz I need to counter them and none of the online resources seem to detail whether he's got shields or not. My weapon tech is limited so I need to know what to bring.

2.0 probably changed the Specter loadout anyway, and you can't view it ingame. From what I can tell from common/ship_sizes/11_guardians.txt and common/section_templates/guardians.txt, it has 20k hp, 10k armor, and no shields (I can confirm the no shields part from ingame). It makes sense too, since it spawns in a no-shield system. It appears to be armed with all large lasers, so you should use crystalline plating if you have that. Also it has 75% evasion. Make sure to counter that.

The Bramble posted:

As soon as I have 200 energy, I build another science ship and hire a scientist and send him exploring in a different direction than the first one.
This is what I do as well, but... You don't actually need another scientist. You can just deselect a tech and let the production pool up, and assign the scientist in charge of the category to the science ship to explore. Then later do the same with another category, switch the original guy back in and let the pooled science be used. Not too much micro in the end, but really abusive.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

That's how it used to work, and I hated it. A enemy fleet would enter your system, you'd truck your fleet towards them and they'd warp out before you could reach them, effectively using the exit point behind you. They could basically teleport past you and leave you chasing them into your own territory. Sucked.

I think the real solution is buffing sublight engine tech more.

That used to bug me a lot too, good point. It wouldn't be as bad now with FTL inhibitors the way they are, though. And if enemies move slower in your own territory, they won't be able to just run away forever even if they find a path through your inhibitors.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The more I play 2.0, the more it seems like the developers never use the autodesign feature. It just interacts so badly with the fleet manager.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Always double-check who has claims on what before accepting a war invitation :eng99:

"Oh hey there, mister muscles with your gigantic fleet literally ten times the size of my own, how you feel about joining my lil' ol' war? Mind you, you'll have to do most of the heavy lifting, what with your big, strong, muscly fleets and giant invasion force. You will??? Oh, thank you so much, kind sir! Oh, what's this? Why I do declare, all of those systems you just spent a bunch of influence to claim? Well, shucks, looks like I just happened to have put a claim in there first, so I guess those will just have to belong to me when the war is over! Oh, now, honey, don't try to bump up your claims to outrank mine now, the war has already started, silly! Oh, now you want out? Well, too bad sweetie-pie, I'm the primary antagonist in this war, and I'll decide when the war ends! Now, get to work!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I just ran across a ruined Dyson sphere. If I repair it do I just get the first stage or does it become fully upgraded?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hunt11 posted:

So I just ran across a ruined Dyson sphere. If I repair it do I just get the first stage or does it become fully upgraded?

Fully upgraded. Ruined megastructures go from zero to full in one go.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fully upgraded. Ruined megastructures go from zero to full in one go.

Well, not ring worlds. Those go segment by segment.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

so crisis's definately need to be tuned a bit more. I'm having to abandon my game because I physically can't beat the unbidden, despite being the largest empire with the largest fleets in the galaxy, with a maxed out fleet capacity cap and ships designed to counter them. I have 180k+ fleet power, and they sometimes have more than that in individual star systems, let alone their home anchor.

I'm only on 1x contingency.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ulmont posted:

Well, not ring worlds. Those go segment by segment.

still saves you the 30k or w/e minerals to get to that point at least (from the prep platform and frame)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dilber posted:

so crisis's definately need to be tuned a bit more. I'm having to abandon my game because I physically can't beat the unbidden, despite being the largest empire with the largest fleets in the galaxy, with a maxed out fleet capacity cap and ships designed to counter them. I have 180k+ fleet power, and they sometimes have more than that in individual star systems, let alone their home anchor.

I'm only on 1x contingency.

I'm on 1.5x and fighting them off, though with heavy amounts of attrition. Build more anchorages. Expand more. More pops. It's not exactly rocket science to get a bigger fleet in 2.0.

Really the only reason I'm having to start off on the back foot is because of two things: they popped up in the middle of my territory with a ~400k fleet guarding the machine world (which I destroyed, with heavy losses), and then I was dumb and thought I was clever by speccing to a shield-heavy layout to counter their all-laser setup, then did battle in a pulsar system like a genius. That did not go so well so I had to rebuild (thankfully this was far from my territory so I wasn't immediately punished for the loss).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 28, 2018

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm on 1.5x and fighting them off, though with heavy amounts of attrition. Build more anchorages. Expand more. More pops. It's not exactly rocket science to get a bigger fleet in 2.0.

I'm literally an entire quarter of a huge galaxy, where any spare station that isn't a defensive bastion/shipyard/energy port has full anchorages. The biggest problem is that on .75 hyperlanes, I can't reinforce my fleets in time without micromanaging jumps for each individual ship being recruited. It's in an ally's territory not mine, so I can't even build a gateway there. I guess I can just technically write off my ally, and just heavily defend my borders, but that brings in way more enemies.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm going Leviathan-hunting now (2381, so well past time really), and just realized that Titans can duel at least some of them. Tried with the Specter, which was in a system with a red star (the wraith was blue), and it didn't even get through the shields. A single Perdition Beam will likely completely destroy the wraith's armor if it hits. Ether Drake is too good at blowing up big ships though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dilber posted:

I'm literally an entire quarter of a huge galaxy, where any spare station that isn't a defensive bastion/shipyard/energy port has full anchorages. The biggest problem is that on .75 hyperlanes, I can't reinforce my fleets in time without micromanaging jumps for each individual ship being recruited. It's in an ally's territory not mine, so I can't even build a gateway there. I guess I can just technically write off my ally, and just heavily defend my borders, but that brings in way more enemies.

If you have ~180k fleet power by the time the crisis pops (I'm assuming you still have it set after 2400, correct me if I'm wrong) then that sounds more like an issue of too little fleet power than inability to project force.

Seems to me the tuning is about right.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 28, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
larger galaxies increase crisis strength as well

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Bramble posted:

Slaves and caste systems are thematic and fun, but require a good amount of micromanagement and don't really give much better results than an empire where everyone is equal and have high happiness. If you're learning the game, be an egalitarian.

You always want to pair species traits with tile type, so no it really doesn't require much more micromanagement. Put slave processing centers next to your capital building to get double the resource bonus, and occasionally enslave egalitarians if they crop up in your empire. In exchange you trade in the potential +20% productivity bonus from max happiness for a minimum +10% regardless of happiness. Authoritarian is +5%/+10%, Slaving Guilds is +10%, so it's pretty easy to get +25%/+30% right at the start. Kinda comes out to more too since slaves always have impoverished conditions. Then from there artificial moral codes is another +5%, and slave processing facilities are +10% (and +2 minerals and food that both get that capital building bonus). So even without picking any of the other civic bonuses, tech and buildings will get you to +25%. Then there's iron fisted governors for another +10%. It's easy to get a 50% bonus. edit: I mean there's always unrest, but that's just a few buildings away from being solved.

You can end up with planets looking like this, although this is a picture from back in 1.8. I think they reduced the bonus on Very Rich Minerals now?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 28, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bramble posted:

Minerals are the key bottleneck in the early game and you should prioritize getting more of them when you decide to expand. The 75 influence per starbase cost will naturally slow down your expansion, so strategically pick systems with great mineral resources.

Try to have 6 Corvettes or so by end of the 10th year when the pirates come.

Slaves and caste systems are thematic and fun, but require a good amount of micromanagement and don't really give much better results than an empire where everyone is equal and have high happiness. If you're learning the game, be an egalitarian.

My first moves when starting a new game are: pause - pick research (generally grabbing the advanced labs if available. Planetary Unification is a first pick from Society if available) - build a monument in an empty tile - build a mineral mine with your constructor - send science ship in direction you most want to expand based on geography - unpause.

Expansion and Discovery are both solid traditions to pick up early.

As soon as I have 200 energy, I build another science ship and hire a scientist and send him exploring in a different direction than the first one.

Those are my general starting tips, if you have more specific questions people are happy to help.
You forgot "Turn on Map the Stars"

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
I bounced really hard off the game when it first came out and haven't played in over a year. But this update? Holy hell is this fun. I put over 30 hours into playing Stellaris over this weekend alone. I'm not sure what it is this time, but it's REALLY clicking for me. My dream of playing a fun game like the David Brin Uplift series is finally here.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Wraith spawned in one of my systems, quickly destroying the outpost there. It then jumped one over to my border, destroying that outpost. And then finally it jumped out of my borders, right into the Ether Drake. The Drake didn't even get down to 80% armor by the time the Wraith was dead.

I'm glad the Wraith went out of my empire instead of into it, but maybe it's pathfinding should be updated a little bit so it doesn't suicide into other guardians. The Drake is parked at a crossroads, one path of which is a dead-end with the Sanctuary system in it. Maybe that's where the Wraith was going?

Also, for whoever it was earlier in the thread that said to trade active sensor links with the Xenophile FE, thank you. As soon as I did that I was able to see pretty much the entire galaxy, because the FE has sensor range through all the wormholes. There are a few isolated blocks I don't know about, but it showed me where all the Guardians are, as well as every other empire + marauders.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Try to have 6 Corvettes or so by end of the 10th year when the pirates come.

My first moves when starting a new game are: pause - pick research (generally grabbing the advanced labs if available. Planetary Unification is a first pick from Society if available) - build a monument in an empty tile - build a mineral mine with your constructor - send science ship in direction you most want to expand based on geography - unpause.

just wanted to make a couple comments on this:

1. if you're caught without 6 corvettes when the pirates come, pause, examine their weapon loadout. if they're gun-heavy (which seems to be the usual preference for pirates) refit your corvettes to all armor, if they're laser-heavy refit to all shields. the starting 3 corvettes can handle the first pirate fleet with this advantage particularly if you jump on them while they're fighting an outpost.

2. a lot of people seem to go for the labs as first picks, i'm not sure why though. you're not going to have more than 3 planets for a long while under most circumstances, each of those planets will have maybe 5 labs max, maybe a few more if you're lucky and they're all pretty big. you will have to upgrade them all once you've got the techs. so, you're spending early-game research time that could have gotten you something else, 1500+ minerals, and a lot of building time (which is no joke, now) for...15 research of various types. very underwhelming. this isn't to say you should never upgrade your labs - that would be dumb - but the early game is really a bad time to do it. a basic science lab is 75% as good as a tier 1 bio/physics/engineering lab and is only 33% of the total cost of the tier 1 labs.

pick anything but labs as your first research. i beg you. the best picks are probably administrative AI (5% research speed), planetary unification (+2 unity) or genome mapping (+10% growth speed) if that's not available, and powered exoskeletons (5% minerals).

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So are the complaints in a Apocalypse actually worthwhile or are people just whining, given that the rating is currently lingering at 65%? Is it just the new changes or is there actually some severe issues with the game currently?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

It's really good and fun.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SkySteak posted:

So are the complaints in a Apocalypse actually worthwhile or are people just whining, given that the rating is currently lingering at 65%? Is it just the new changes or is there actually some severe issues with the game currently?

they're whining, it's much much better than it was before.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jazerus posted:

just wanted to make a couple comments on this:

1. if you're caught without 6 corvettes when the pirates come, pause, examine their weapon loadout. if they're gun-heavy (which seems to be the usual preference for pirates) refit your corvettes to all armor, if they're laser-heavy refit to all shields. the starting 3 corvettes can handle the first pirate fleet with this advantage particularly if you jump on them while they're fighting an outpost.

2. a lot of people seem to go for the labs as first picks, i'm not sure why though. you're not going to have more than 3 planets for a long while under most circumstances, each of those planets will have maybe 5 labs max, maybe a few more if you're lucky and they're all pretty big. you will have to upgrade them all once you've got the techs. so, you're spending early-game research time that could have gotten you something else, 1500+ minerals, and a lot of building time (which is no joke, now) for...15 research of various types. very underwhelming. this isn't to say you should never upgrade your labs - that would be dumb - but the early game is really a bad time to do it. a basic science lab is 75% as good as a tier 1 bio/physics/engineering lab and is only 33% of the total cost of the tier 1 labs.

pick anything but labs as your first research. i beg you. the best picks are probably administrative AI (5% research speed), planetary unification (+2 unity) or genome mapping (+10% growth speed) if that's not available, and powered exoskeletons (5% minerals).

People go for labs first because even +3 research in one type from one planet is enough to cut literally years off of the techs for improved infrastructure with game start research levels.

Research has a hugely magnified effect on the early game out of proportion with its late game effects.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SkySteak posted:

The thing is that Apocalypse radically reworked the FTL systems, effectively eliminating Warp and Wormholes as they used to exist.

This has created a very vocal and passionate contingent of pissed-off fans of said FTL methods.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strobe posted:

People go for labs first because even +3 research in one type from one planet is enough to cut literally years off of the techs for improved infrastructure with game start research levels.

Research has a hugely magnified effect on the early game out of proportion with its late game effects.

makes sense from a pre-2.0 standpoint since space research was hugely unreliable. i'm not sure it holds up now that you can beeline straight to all of the nearby systems with 3+ research points; eventually planetary research is very important, but it can take several years just for the first tech to get done and by then you should be aware enough of your neighborhood to be able to secure way more than +3 research.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tomn posted:

The thing is that Apocalypse radically reworked the FTL systems, effectively eliminating Warp and Wormholes as they used to exist.

This has created a very vocal and passionate contingent of pissed-off fans of said FTL methods.

Gateway travel is pretty awesome but expensive influence-wise to set up.

A nice touch I noticed is when the FEs woke up they immediately started building Gateway sites in their home systems. That was useful for me when I finished them after conquering them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah raiders are just kind of frustrating.

Massive doomstacks you have no hope against in the early/midgame crashing your economy because they took the long way to their real target and destroyed half your mining and research stations on the way. And you can't pay them off because they aren't technically targetting you for a raid :downs:

Even the smaller "lawless system" random spawns guarantee you'll lose at least one or two systems worth of stations, although those are just unfun in an irritating way. Sure'll crush them when your fleet finally responds, but they instantly attack the nearest systems when they spawn before you have a chance to react. So it's just constant whack a mole then rebuild a handful of stations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I went for one of the labs as first tech in that category in the game I'm currently playing, but ended up not actually upgrading any labs for quite some time. They're too expensive to build after your first tech, so you might as well leave them until later.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Things that are fun: getting the Dragonscale armor for the very first time only to discover that it's literally identically to Crystal Forged Plating.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Strobe posted:

Also you don't want to be in a position where you can't get labs because the Research RNG keeps you away from them later on. They're tech you'll need eventually, you might as well grab it early if you can.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkySteak posted:

I have a few very specific complaints in a sea of holy poo poo this is a good game made better by a great patch.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
deleting a template and having a fleet disappear was a shock

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Even though it warns you? I clicked the button once and it was like ARE YOU SURE BECAUSE THIS WILL DELETE THE FLEET TOO

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The user that doesn't read warning boxes, the bane of every developer.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SkySteak posted:

There are definitely some things that need to be patched or balance tweaked but on the whole this is a much better game than it was before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

jng2058 posted:

Also you don't want to be in a position where you can't get labs because the Research RNG keeps you away from them later on. They're tech you'll need eventually, you might as well grab it early if you can.

My usual way is picking labs if there's not something else available that will have a significant benefit.