Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Streaks are dumb because when you end it, you either kill what was most worthwhile about the character (Rusev), or to preserve relevance you book yourself into a corner (Brad Maddox/Ryback, Fingerpoke of Doom). You know what, I say gently caress it, let Asuka's first loss be to a Mella cash-in. It'd at least be something.

To that end, I much rather prefer the way in aggregate that Braaaaaun was built. No streak, but dominance. Not perfect, but awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Champs losing in non title matches would be less bad if they bothered to explain “Hey Cena has everything to fight for, while AJ needs to save himself for the multi-man at Roadblock or Fastlane or whatever”

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

D.N. Nation posted:

Streaks are dumb because when you end it, you either kill what was most worthwhile about the character (Rusev), or to preserve relevance you book yourself into a corner (Brad Maddox/Ryback, Fingerpoke of Doom). You know what, I say gently caress it, let Asuka's first loss be to a Mella cash-in. It'd at least be something.

To that end, I much rather prefer the way in aggregate that Braaaaaun was built. No streak, but dominance. Not perfect, but awesome.

This is why Rousey should lose her first match. Get the loss over with, don't make it feel like "well, she can't lose to Alicia Fox on Raw because that would be a lovely way to end the streak." Not that it would be clean or anything, but you know, my excitement for watching an Asuka match has diminished on Raw because I know she won't lose.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I can't believe I have to say this AGAIN, but WWE isn't going to hand Carmella of all people Asuka's streak. Her ceiling is painfully low, and that would be the biggest waste of a rub in a long time. And before anyone claims "Well she can just destroy Carmella on the Smackdown after Wrestlemania and get the title back"...WWE would drag out that feud until Backlash at the earliest, and they can't keep teasing an Asuka title run for much longer.

And even then, they would keep trying to get heat on Carmella (for Backlash), just for her to gently caress it up and lose it all anyways. Because Carmella isn't even remotely credible, nor could she EVER be taken seriously against Asuka. The only person I see ending the streak is Ronda. People are freaking out that Asuka may run out of people to face. No she won't. Assuming she wins a title at Wrestlemania, they could have a shakeup soon after Wrestlemania and move some stars around. That's not factoring in that we would get some NXT callups as well. And I imagine if they plan to preserve the streak, a lot of the female callups will probably be sent to whatever brand Asuka is headlining, so she can have some feuds with them.

And the Braun treatment won't work with Asuka, at least immediately. That bus left the station when they decided to have Nia Jax no sell Asuka's offense. Asuka's dominance doesn't come solely from her strikes/technical ability. It also comes from the fact that she's incredibly crafty and intelligent in matches.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 28, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Astro7x posted:

This is why Rousey should lose her first match. Get the loss over with, don't make it feel like "well, she can't lose to Alicia Fox on Raw because that would be a lovely way to end the streak." Not that it would be clean or anything, but you know, my excitement for watching an Asuka match has diminished on Raw because I know she won't lose.

If it wasn't against Stephanie, sure.

But gently caress that tear her arm off.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Oh, I know they aren't going to waste it on honkin' Carmella. I'm just already pre-bummed because I know they're going to fart the landing on the end of the streak.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

D.N. Nation posted:

Oh, I know they aren't going to waste it on honkin' Carmella. I'm just already pre-bummed because I know they're going to fart the landing on the end of the streak.

To put it into perspective, Carmella is 0-15 in 2018 so far. She has lost 100% of her matches. Dana Brooke is 4-5, and has a 44.4% win rate. Carmella is somehow a bigger jobber than Dana Brooke. I legitimately think WWE regrets putting Money in the Bank on Carmella. She's lost all momentum ever since Ellsworth has released, and I don't see her ever being credible due to her incredibly poor in ring skills. Now that I think about it, she's facing off against Becky Lynch next week.

The ONLY way I would want to see Asuka vs Charlotte is if Money in the Bank is out of the picture by then. And that's assuming the match actually happens. Right now it's looking like we'll be getting Asuka vs Alexa, considering they are having Alexa tear into Asuka, promo wise. Nia Jax can be a part of the Chyna Battle Royale or something.

You also have to factor in that Asuka can probably get some mileage out of the streak with a heel turn down the line as well.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 28, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dean’s cash-in should have been the swansong for MitB, the gimmick is totally dead from two poo poo winners this year

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wonder if they will have carmella end Asuka's streak by beating her in a match here in a while.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ronda's not ending the streak because she's outside talent and they have their need to prove that homegrown stars are better. Remember Lesnar and Cena at Extreme Rules 2012?

The streak really should go to Ember because it would make for really good long form storytelling.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

long form storytelling.

lmao

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rarity posted:

Ronda's not ending the streak because she's outside talent and they have their need to prove that homegrown stars are better. Remember Lesnar and Cena at Extreme Rules 2012?

The streak really should go to Ember because it would make for really good long form storytelling.

I thought it was pretty well established by now that Vince very rarely acknowledges NXT as canon unless it suits his interests. And I don't see Asuka entering putting people over mode until she's close to retirement. Which is probably at least a year or two away. As for Ember ending the streak, I don't see it happening considering while she's booked as the #1 Babyface in NXT, she certainly isn't treated like it by the crowd. The crowd reacts more for Dakota Kai, Kairi Sane, and Nikki Cross more than Ember Moon. Now imagine that on the main roster. Part of the problem is that Ember comes across as incredibly phony/robotic in her promos.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

drrockso20 posted:

I know this is a joke, but I won't deny a part of me got mad reading that, as the whole "vaccines cause autism" thing is one of the few things that always get me angry(since I have autism)

On the topic of future General Managers after Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan, what kind of gimmick would you guys want to see with a future GM's style of running the show, personally I'd think it would be fun if we got one who was an absolute stickler for the rules and would harshly punish anyone who violates them(so let's say during a one on one match involving a heel tag team and the partner not in the match interferes, that partner gets fined and thrown off TV for the next week or two), to help this they vastly increase the number of referees out and watching the match, along with various other things to make everyone paranoid and miserable(outside of a couple suckups who take advantage of this situation to their benefit)

Obviously this wouldn't work in the long run, but I was picturing it as being a short run anyways(like say 2 to 4 months at the most, possibly even just a month's worth of shows bookended by PPV events to introduce and end it)

A GM that gets put into a coma on his first day and isn't replaced so the show runs without a GM.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

Dean’s cash-in should have been the swansong for MitB, the gimmick is totally dead from two poo poo winners this year

Man I loved '16 MITB. So many moments. AJ beating Cena. Roman losing clean. Dean cashing in. Titus kissing his kid on the lips.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rarity posted:

The streak should have ended with Ember at that last Takeover.

I don't know... Yes, "Asuka" is undefeated, but she has lost before.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Re: asuka vs charlotte, they can just put carmella on raw after mania. Sell it as her deciding she can't beat Asuka even with the briefcase or something idk.

Also I'm taking an outside shot and suggesting that the miz/finn/seth stuff is to set up an IC ladder match. You can put braun and Elias in there too.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Astro7x posted:

The streak should have ended with Ember at that last Takeover.

I don't know... Yes, "Asuka" is undefeated, but she has lost before.

I don't think that was ever the plan. I've heard a few different theories about the streak, and the ones that seem the most plausible were:

A) Vince wanted the streak kept intact for main roster stuff. And he still has the final call on everything, including NXT stuff.

B) She was never slated to lose against Ember, and it was possible before her injury they were going to do Kairi Sane vs Asuka at the following Takeover, where Asuka would most likely lose.

Either way, Ember Moon is probably a transitional champion until Shayna inevitably wins it. Although Shayna will probably get called up after Summerslam, since her age is a huge factor, and her moveset is much more limited than someone like Asuka's (and I also see Shayna being rushed up so they can set up some sort of program with Ronda/Shayna/Whoever else at Survivor Series). I imagine the next real face of the NXT Women's Division will probably be either Candice LaRae or Kairi Sane. The NXT Women's Division is pretty messy at the moment in terms of who is dominant and who isn't.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 28, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ronda doesn't need it at all, though it might happen anyway just because they'd want to make Asuka/Ronda happen.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jerusalem posted:

I really dug the idea somebody had of Mark Henry being the GM, and just being the most genial and friendly guy until somebody inevitably complained to him and claimed he was being biased an-

VJeff posted:

Mark Henry in a Sweater was a dynamite idea, I wish I remember who posted it originally.

Thank you for liking my post. I maintain its both doable and smart.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Being one of the regular woman in WWE must be awful right now. You're constantly working 6 woman tag matches while Ronda shows up and immediately gets to close out an episode of RAW and is in an angle with the McMahons, the thing with the highest prestige according to Vince.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Being one of the regular woman in WWE must be awful right now. You're constantly working 6 woman tag matches while Ronda shows up and immediately gets to close out an episode of RAW and is in an angle with the McMahons, the thing with the highest prestige according to Vince.

A big celebrity angle means equality!

Of course the McMahons went and kept it for themselves so it stinks more than a Cena/Rock, Show/Mayweather or other situation.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gumball Gumption posted:

they always did say they wanted the same treatment as the men

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

I thought it was pretty well established by now that Vince very rarely acknowledges NXT as canon unless it suits his interests. And I don't see Asuka entering putting people over mode until she's close to retirement. Which is probably at least a year or two away. As for Ember ending the streak, I don't see it happening considering while she's booked as the #1 Babyface in NXT, she certainly isn't treated like it by the crowd. The crowd reacts more for Dakota Kai, Kairi Sane, and Nikki Cross more than Ember Moon. Now imagine that on the main roster. Part of the problem is that Ember comes across as incredibly phony/robotic in her promos.

Dude, fans like Ember. Did she turn you down for prom or something?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rarity posted:

Dude, fans like Ember. Did she turn you down for prom or something?

I'm not denying fans like Ember. But fans like people like Kairi, Dakota, and Candice MORE. If you put Ember in the ring against any of them, it's very likely that she (Ember) would get a muted reaction compared to the people I listed above. Part of the issue is that again, Ember comes across as incredibly phony compared to the people I listed above, and its pretty obvious WWE is trying to make Ember the #1 babyface for the NXT Women's Division, and the audience is more behind the people I listed above.

The fans will cheer for Ember against Shayna because its a classic face vs heel feud. However, if you were to put Ember vs Dakota, Kairi, or Candice, the reaction would almost certainly be much different, and not in Ember's favor. I feel like that could and probably will be a problem on the main roster as well, unless they decide to debut Ember as a heel, which is incredibly unlikely.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 28, 2018

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hey rowdy ringsport posters, just stopping by to say i watched roman reigns' promo on youtube and i thought it was very good. thanks for your time

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I really don't like Finn Balor, he always has this dumb grin on his face and makes stupid noises when he wrestles.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Cardboard Box posted:

hey rowdy ringsport posters, just stopping by to say i watched roman reigns' promo on youtube and i thought it was very good. thanks for your time

That is great!!! What rating do you give it on the BIG DOG scale? Pick a dog anywhere from Great Dane to Scottish Deerhound.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
TIL that "canon" is now the official word of RR

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

That is great!!! What rating do you give it on the BIG DOG scale? Pick a dog anywhere from Great Dane to Scottish Deerhound.

i would say it was an anatolian shepherd, not the largest dog around by any stretch and there's some fluff that makes it seem larger than it is, but overall still a good big dog

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Stephanie's gonna tap Rhonda out in the middle of the ring and cement herself as a pop culture icon around the world, just like the time Vince punched Mike Tyson's lights out to thunderous applause.

It will be, truly, a WrestleMania Moment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm not denying fans like Ember. But fans like people like Kairi, Dakota, and Candice MORE. If you put Ember in the ring against any of them, it's very likely that she (Ember) would get a muted reaction compared to the people I listed above. Part of the issue is that again, Ember comes across as incredibly phony compared to the people I listed above, and its pretty obvious WWE is trying to make Ember the #1 babyface for the NXT Women's Division, and the audience is more behind the people I listed above.

The fans will cheer for Ember against Shayna because its a classic face vs heel feud. However, if you were to put Ember vs Dakota, Kairi, or Candice, the reaction would almost certainly be much different, and not in Ember's favor. I feel like that could and probably will be a problem on the main roster as well, unless they decide to debut Ember as a heel, which is incredibly unlikely.

I love Dakota but the crowd doesn't give a poo poo about her yet. Kairi gets about equal reactions. Candace does get the best reactions out of anyway although she really needs to establish herself as more than just Mrs Gargano. Ember's really good at being a fiery babyface and that's why she gets cheers. She's the only opponent Asuka's ever had that the crowd's got behind.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Roman's promo was kind of good but I feel like they shouldn't be swapping the "Brock Lesnar, unbeatable monster" persona for "Brock Lesnar, entitled dick who doesn't respect THE BUSINESS." The former makes for a great storytelling device that they've been pumping up for years, come on now. Obvs WWE just deems it more important to get Roman cheered at any cost.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ember is always over by the end of a match because she’s a great babyface bell-to-bell. She still needs a lot of work on her character though

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm still completely staggered that the Usos have never been on Mania in almost a decade of working with the company. They've been the best thing about SmackDown for almost a year.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Apparently today is the end of Big Show's contract as a performer. Goodbye Big Show. You were big, and cried sometimes.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think Ember would have a lot more success if they had her stop pretending to be a werewolf.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cnat wait for John cents to wrestle the undertaker

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

I think Ember would have a lot more success if they had her stop pretending to be a werewolf.

Or if she actually turned into a wolf in the ring

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
ember should probably change her theme music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's the best thing about her.

EDIT: second best, her finisher is cool

• Locked thread