Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's what they did for the PSX port and it hey it was bad there too.

Nah they specifically hosed up the English version while the Japanese version is fine. Because they made the English version do on-the-fly IPS patching of the Japanese ROM, increasing the RAM required beyond what the PS1 was capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

Nah they specifically hosed up the English version while the Japanese version is fine. Because they made the English version do on-the-fly IPS patching of the Japanese ROM, increasing the RAM required beyond what the PS1 was capable of.

Live ASM patching, I'm pretty sure, and in typical TOSE fashion done in the worst possible way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah seriously. A Contra remaster. A couch multiplayer remake of Jackal. A new Twinbee game. Blaster Master re-imagined as a spelunky type game. Ironic genre deconstruction Bayou Billy sequel.

All great ideas for pachislots.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

It always amazes me how Nintendo still gets by relatively well despite all of their dumb decisions.

I read an article about Nintendo from the mid 2000s that actually showed a lot of their questionable decisions were based on reasonably sound logic at the time. The problem is they never talk about that stuff publicly and instead push some weird pseudo Disney PR that makes them sound looney.

For example, the GameCube didn’t have a DVD player because they didn’t want to pay the licensing fees and they didn’t want to go toe to toe with the much wealthier Sony in a market sector where they were already strong. But admitting that would be like blood in the water for investors so they spewed some nonsense about the power of play or some such.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’d like to thank the thread Discord for helping me get a Saturn mod chip for half the price R43DS was selling them for. Now if I can find an Action Replay 4m Plus for less than $30 I will be set.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mill Village posted:

I’d like to thank the thread Discord for helping me get a Saturn mod chip for half the price R43DS was selling them for. Now if I can find an Action Replay 4m Plus for less than $30 I will be set.

you can get a region free bios for the saturn

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The most annoying thing about the CT port is that the DQ 1, 2, & 3 iOS -> PS4/3DS ports that dropped around the release of DQXI were actually really good. It's not impossible for them to port these versions correctly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Square seems to actually give a poo poo about Dragon Quest. Which makes it infinitely more frustrating when they decide to gimp the music for the western releases. loving Koichi Sugiyama.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Square seems to actually give a poo poo about Dragon Quest. Which makes it infinitely more frustrating when they decide to gimp the music for the western releases. loving Koichi Sugiyama.

He's a war crimes denier too so

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shibawanko posted:

Most older Japanese companies are so disconnected from what people want nowadays. Pricing the SoM remake at E40,- was probably a decision made by some old man somewhere who lives in his own little reality and thinks people will still pay 90's cartridge prices for digital games and lovely remakes. The A-Train game on Steam is similarly ridiculously overpriced at something like E55,-

It always amazes me how Nintendo still gets by relatively well despite all of their dumb decisions.

Don't look at actual new Japanese game prices, you might have a case of the vapors.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Phone posted:

Don't look at actual new Japanese game prices, you might have a case of the vapors.

they're so low you'll want to be turning Japanese?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phone posted:

That's why you get everything at Book Off

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

wa27 posted:

Try again

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Square seems to actually give a poo poo about Dragon Quest
This is what the mobile ports of the 2D Dragon Quests look like:

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

wa27 posted:

:golfclap:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

From the little of the DQ3 port I played, it ain't so bad. The mobile ports of the DS games are supposed to be pretty good. DQ8 is horribly optimised. Regardless of the quality of the port, mobile is a terrible way to play Dragon Quest (and all jRPGs [video games entirely]).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

The Kins posted:

This is what the mobile ports of the 2D Dragon Quests look like:

This is part of why they do the hosed up new assets and blur filters on the FF mobile ports. Unsurprisingly, it's hard to make pixel art actually look good on phones.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

wa27 posted:

Lol

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Not really sure what's supposed to be so bad about that; The mobile port DQ pixel art was re-drawn well while still maintaining the look of the original games & everything is animated really nicely

Source: My phone two seconds ago.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 28, 2018

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
𝗎ⁿₑvₑ𝗇 p𝗂ˣᵉₗs

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Not really sure what's supposed to be so bad about that; The mobile port DQ pixel art was re-drawn well while still maintaining the look of the original games & everything is animated really nicely

Source: My phone two seconds ago.

that looks like poo poo

source: my eyes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

wa27 posted:

6000 yen 3DS games, 8500 yen PS4 games, etc etc.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Zamujasa posted:

𝗎ⁿₑvₑ𝗇 p𝗂ˣᵉₗs

This isn't really noticeable unless you're looking at the image much larger than intended in my opinion, but fair enough.

edit: Also not a problem the higher-res PS4 ports suffer from, though those do have much, much higher res character sprites & I know a lot of people here have a bugbear for differing pixel art styles.

I haven't played the 3DS ports, but by all reports the resolution mismatch makes those muddy.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 28, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Most older Japanese companies are so disconnected from what people want nowadays. Pricing the SoM remake at E40,- was probably a decision made by some old man somewhere who lives in his own little reality and thinks people will still pay 90's cartridge prices for digital games and lovely remakes. The A-Train game on Steam is similarly ridiculously overpriced at something like E55,-

In Artdink's defense they're a really niche company that puts out the Japanese equivalent to like Matrix Games. Five people buying their $60 train simulator puts them in the green and those same five people come back every time so there's no point charging less.

Source: I'm one of those five people.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Shibawanko posted:

Blaster Master re-imagined as a spelunky type game.

Blaster Master belongs to Sunsoft, and the recent Blaster Master Zero is pretty good.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kid Fenris posted:

Blaster Master belongs to Sunsoft, and the recent Blaster Master Zero is pretty good.

Blaster Master Zero was really great, and I’m glad it got a decent revival that, in my opinion, bested the original (ymmv).

But all the IPs that Konami has (and do nothing with) is frustrating. I once had the idea of trying to bring Gyruss into the 21st century by making it a rail shooter with procedurally-generated difficulty based on the order you rescued the planets.

But that’s a Konami property and they sincerely don’t give a poo poo.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so has anyone gotten their retro fighters n64 controller yet?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got a tracking number on it and that it's waiting to be received by USPS.

At least I think so, since it's just a random email from Stamps.com with a tracking number for a package from Trent Tribe.

Though I just looked it up on the kickstarter and that's from them.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

I got a tracking number on it and that it's waiting to be received by USPS.

At least I think so, since it's just a random email from Stamps.com with a tracking number for a package from Trent Tribe.

Though I just looked it up on the kickstarter and that's from them.

Same here.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

In Artdink's defense they're a really niche company that puts out the Japanese equivalent to like Matrix Games. Five people buying their $60 train simulator puts them in the green and those same five people come back every time so there's no point charging less.

Source: I'm one of those five people.

I'd buy that A-train game in a second if it was 20 instead of 55. It's beautifully designed and deserves a larger fanbase.

Kid Fenris posted:

Woops, that's right.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Standard SNES needs some special sync separator job to do RGB through scalers right? SFC with a suitable RGB Scart cable, works on my PVM fine but the best I can get out of the scaler (with rgb scart to bnc, then bnc to rca, into rgb* capable ports) is this mess

Plugging a PS1 in with the same end setup cabling works perfectly fine, and looks glorious like you wouldn't believe. Right now I've got the SFC s-video into the scaler splitting off into composite output to a GV-USB2 for streaming/recording so it's fine in the end, just curious what in the freak this is about.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the Super Famicom market like in terms of fakes/repros? I'm viewing Japanese games as a cheaper alternative to thier US counterparts when they're not particularly text heavy. eBay's Super Famicom prices seem to be averaging close to SNES game price ls were a decade ago.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Charles Get-Out posted:

This isn't really noticeable unless you're looking at the image much larger than intended in my opinion, but fair enough.

I noticed it right away. Judging by screenshots, DQ3 at least has a light filter applied, making it more palatable, but they removed all the monster animations so gently caress that. I'm currently playing DQ4 on my android phone and I would definitely recommend the mobile DS ports over 1-3. They're not perfect but good enough for $15.

Also, had no idea DQ is on PS4. JP-only I'm guessing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Don't ever insult my children again

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the Super Famicom market like in terms of fakes/repros? I'm viewing Japanese games as a cheaper alternative to thier US counterparts when they're not particularly text heavy. eBay's Super Famicom prices seem to be averaging close to SNES game price ls were a decade ago.

The Super Famicom market seems pretty clean so far as fakes go. Like, either a game will have a box, insert, and all that other vintage stuff that indicates it's a real cart, or it'll be a loose cart and obviously worn with time/mishandling/young Kenji's mom writing his name on it in Sharpie marker.

Caveat emptor applies, of course, when you're talking about games that are rare and pricey in both markets. But sellers in Japan proper seem more like the sorts to be hardcore oldschool about their integrity as sellers, or they're general junk hustlers looking to make a quick yen from anything they can sell, and they're not going to waste effort on elaborate scams like selling fake retro games.

There's plenty to recommend buying Super Famicom versions of games for the reason you mention, so long as they're playable, but if you speak little or no Japanese then all those cheap Chrono Triggers, FFs, Mother 2s, and the like are worthless.

Finally, while it's maybe not the most fiscally sound solution, I'm a fan of buying multiple games and combining shipping (although Buyee is my main choice for that, even though it's more like BuyFEE-FEE-FEE sometimes). After all, if you're paying international rates and waiting for international shipping times, you might as well make each transaction for such as loaded as possible.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

I noticed it right away. Judging by screenshots, DQ3 at least has a light filter applied, making it more palatable, but they removed all the monster animations so gently caress that. I'm currently playing DQ4 on my android phone and I would definitely recommend the mobile DS ports over 1-3. They're not perfect but good enough for $15.

Also, had no idea DQ is on PS4. JP-only I'm guessing.

They were released to coincide with DQXI's release, so I'm expecting that the PS4 ports will come West whenever that does.

Also definitely not trying to say the mobile ports of DQ 1-3 are the best way to play them, just that they aren't bad ports. Monster animations are a shame, but you trade off other things like music or convenience if you want to play the SFC or GBC versions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The Super Famicom market seems pretty clean so far as fakes go. Like, either a game will have a box, insert, and all that other vintage stuff that indicates it's a real cart, or it'll be a loose cart and obviously worn with time/mishandling/young Kenji's mom writing his name on it in Sharpie marker.

Caveat emptor applies, of course, when you're talking about games that are rare and pricey in both markets. But sellers in Japan proper seem more like the sorts to be hardcore oldschool about their integrity as sellers, or they're general junk hustlers looking to make a quick yen from anything they can sell, and they're not going to waste effort on elaborate scams like selling fake retro games.

There's plenty to recommend buying Super Famicom versions of games for the reason you mention, so long as they're playable, but if you speak little or no Japanese then all those cheap Chrono Triggers, FFs, Mother 2s, and the like are worthless.

Finally, while it's maybe not the most fiscally sound solution, I'm a fan of buying multiple games and combining shipping (although Buyee is my main choice for that, even though it's more like BuyFEE-FEE-FEE sometimes). After all, if you're paying international rates and waiting for international shipping times, you might as well make each transaction for such as loaded as possible.

Excellent. That's pretty much how I figured it would be. I bought a boxed copy of Japanese Chrono Trigger for real cheap at a used book store a year ago. And while I understand very little Japanese, it makes a nice collector's piece. I might get a boxed copy of FF6 and some others just for the aesthetics and novelty.

My current collector's goal is to get the 20 games featured in the SNES Classic. I have half of them from years back. Fortunately, they're the big ones (Earthbound/SMRPG/SoM). That's why I was spurned to look into the Super Famicom games. I snagged Japanese copy of Super Famicom from a comic book store on ebay for $10 after shipping. Looking on ebay, it looks like the rest of the ones I'm missing are around 40% cheaper in Japanese. Plus it'll be fun to pick up those rando Japanese games whenever I see them locally.

Ironically, some of the more expensive Super Famicom games I noticed on ebay are cheap American movie tie ins like Lion King and Toy Story. It's funny to think of someone on a Japanese board posting about how he scored a copy of The Pagemaster.

Charles Get-Out posted:

They were released to coincide with DQXI's release, so I'm expecting that the PS4 ports will come West whenever that does.

I wouldn't expect it. There were some Dragon Quest re-releases in Japan on 3DS we never got here. And I recall a limited edition Wii disc with DQI-III on it similar to the Super Mario All Stars Wii edition there too.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
You guys know if the consumer Sony Trinitron KV20 series CRTs are decent? I don't have enough money to afford a PVM.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

You guys know if the consumer Sony Trinitron KV20 series CRTs are decent? I don't have enough money to afford a PVM.

Short answer: If you don't already have a CRT TV and it's really cheap (like $10 at most for immaculate condition, preferably free regardless), it will probably suit you fine if you're looking to retrogame video gud on a budget anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Long answer:

Those appear to be mainly limited to RF, composite, S-Video, and the like for inputs, from a quick glance. Video quality will probably be fine, it's old Sony. So limited, not ideal if they don't also have YPbPr/component inputs in the mix, and definitely not worth more than $10 maximum without.

It's a relative question, anyway.

Do you have any CRT TVs currently? If so, what brand, model line, size, inputs, video standards (NTSC/PAL/SECAM god forbid), and so on?

What consoles are you looking to hook up to a CRT TV, what are the best video quality formats / upgrades they can accept or use, what video format standard is your available hardware?

Finally, do you view having a CRT as something of a long term commitment, or are you just looking for something quick and basic to dip your toes in with?

How you answer those questions will kind of flowchart if a particular CRT is right for you or if it will be a back-breaking electronic white elephant you should avoid.