Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I wish *someone* would fix TV. Every single person's TV system is a nightmare of slightly incompatible cables, technologies, boxes and streaming services.

"Oh, it's easy to use. Just turn on the green box, the black box, and then turn the blue box on and off and on again. Use the XBox One to navigate to Netflix - you have to enter the Netflix password every time for some reason - no big deal. Then turn on the sound bar (don't do it first or it won't pick up the signal) and shut down the green box. All set!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, you can already just connect your streaming laptop or phone to a larger screen. If people you know are messing with actual cable service and boxes hooked up to a "TV", that's their problem.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ditocoaf posted:

I mean, you can already just connect your streaming laptop or phone to a larger screen. If people you know are messing with actual cable service and boxes hooked up to a "TV", that's their problem.
The setup described above could easily involve a HDMI mux that prevents whatever computer is around from being easily found on the screen, but what I'm really curious about is your unified search across every streaming service you have access to?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BarbarianElephant posted:

I wish *someone* would fix TV. Every single person's TV system is a nightmare of slightly incompatible cables, technologies, boxes and streaming services.

"Oh, it's easy to use. Just turn on the green box, the black box, and then turn the blue box on and off and on again. Use the XBox One to navigate to Netflix - you have to enter the Netflix password every time for some reason - no big deal. Then turn on the sound bar (don't do it first or it won't pick up the signal) and shut down the green box. All set!"

It's called just giving up on all the tertiary boxes you don't use anymore after buying a new TV. Works great. There's basically just two inputs on my TV as far as I'm concerned: over the air channels, and HDMI 1 with the xbonex on it to handle any streaming I need. And if a streaming/purchase service ain't on there I ain't using it.

Anyway blackberry just got deader.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 27, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Last time I used a roku, their search claimed to search all their apps, even if they wern't installed yet.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

duz posted:

Last time I used a roku, their search claimed to search all their apps, even if they wern't installed yet.

Server-side search maybe? That'd make the most sense.

Speaking of redesigns insta-killing a service: G+. Their move to postcard-sized updates nuked it and they doubled down instead of backing off. That worked out well for them. I still have no idea what they were thinking, it was a muddled mess with enormous amounts of wasted space their design vision refused to use.

The Q2 reditpocalypse can't come soon enough. Glad they're finally doing something about their toxic cesspool they call a "community", especially if "destroying it" is the path they decided on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harik posted:

Speaking of redesigns insta-killing a service: G+. Their move to postcard-sized updates nuked it and they doubled down instead of backing off. That worked out well for them. I still have no idea what they were thinking, it was a muddled mess with enormous amounts of wasted space their design vision refused to use.

Was there ever a point where Google + stood a chance

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

and HDMI 1 with the xbonex on it to handle any streaming I need.

The xbox is a pretty good media streaming box, but it also costs more than pretty much all it's streaming box competitors combined. The solution for a lot of problems is "buy the most expensive full featured thing on the market and it'll work good" but that is also kinda not really the solution.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Help Im Alive posted:

No, it always sucked.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

It's called just giving up on all the tertiary boxes you don't use anymore after buying a new TV. Works great. There's basically just two inputs on my TV as far as I'm concerned: over the air channels, and HDMI 1 with the xbonex on it to handle any streaming I need. And if a streaming/purchase service ain't on there I ain't using it.

Anyway blackberry just got deader.

Required Reply:

http://bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-letter-to-blackberry-bosses-senior-rim-exec-tells-all-as-company-crumbles-around-him/

To the RIM Senior Management Team:

I have lost confidence.

While I hide it at work, my passion has been sapped. I know I am not alone — the sentiment is widespread and it includes people within your own teams.

Mike and Jim, please take the time to really absorb and digest the content of this letter because it reflects the feeling across a huge percentage of your employee base. You have many smart employees, many that have great ideas for the future, but unfortunately the culture at RIM does not allow us to speak openly without having to worry about the career-limiting effects.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

*sprints into thread out of breath*
Guys guys have you heard about Google Wave yet?!
*passes out*
*pisses self*

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Harik posted:

The Q2 reditpocalypse can't come soon enough. Glad they're finally doing something about their toxic cesspool they call a "community", especially if "destroying it" is the path they decided on.

Google doesn't even show me any reddit links anymore unless I specifically add it as a search term.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah if I made a product I would immediately sell for any offer over a bil no matter how much I like owning it. Probably also way lower prices in reality.

People who say they would sell at a billion would have also sold long before they ever got to a billion in the first place.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd probably do better if Google expended more resources on it. They basically haven't done anything with it in forever

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harik posted:

Be careful what you wish for. We might get 4chan to take it's place.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Vegetable posted:

It'd probably do better if Google expended more resources on it. They basically haven't done anything with it in forever
Yeah because Google made a HUGE push on it initially and it mostly failed. I say mostly because Google Photos at least spun out of it and that became very successful. When I joined the team it was still Google+ Photos but I didn't mention the G+ part to people when I told them what I worked on, even within Google the name was kind of poisonous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The xbox is a pretty good media streaming box, but it also costs more than pretty much all it's streaming box competitors combined. The solution for a lot of problems is "buy the most expensive full featured thing on the market and it'll work good" but that is also kinda not really the solution.

Is it supposed to be some horrible burden a video game console that also lets you play DVD/Blu-Ray costs more than some little stick with just enough processing power onboard to run a video stream? The streaming service selection is actually slightly worse than some of the cheap little stick things that are only $80 instead of $200 I think but again - if it's not on there I'm not going to bother with it in the first place. And if you're someone who doesn't care about games or discs than the cheap sticks will have the same "you don't need to switch inputs" ability anyway.

And an old used Xbox 360 or PS3 can be had for around $60 - $100, still has most of the video/audio streaming services, and just won't be able to handle things like 4K native video content or HDR video. You still just hook 'em up with a single HDMI cable and have pretty much all the stuff you want to see. No need to have multiple separate boxes and complicated switching arrangements - for both the Xbox One and Xbox 360 you can use conventional IR universal remotes, or the IR remotes Microsoft sells that will handle turning on your console and the TV at the same time and change volume as you navigate around Netflix or YouTube or Spotify etc.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Vegetable posted:

They added images in comments, simultaneously breaking "who +1'd this" from the mobile client.

It was a good social network, you know, without all the people.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the real problem was social inertia / network effects. Maybe they could have picked up the ball if facebook fumbled but, nerdy concerns about UI aside, they basically didn't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't Facebook already on the way out? Either hitting peak saturation or people realising they're not actually enjoying it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Facebook has more moved to a piece of infrastructure for messaging /event planning than a hot social network. Advertisers sre paying reguardless, so it's not the end of the world.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Help Im Alive posted:

In India, for a brief while.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Help Im Alive posted:

It got a lot of good initial buzz since the circles thing let you organize your friends in various ways. But then Facebook integrated all those features within itself, so RIP Google+.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Inescapable Duck posted:

Isn't Facebook already on the way out? Either hitting peak saturation or people realising they're not actually enjoying it.
Yeah, I wonder this too. I hear very different things about how young people are/aren't using it, are/aren't leaving it, are/aren't "aging into" it. There is definitely a growing awareness that it's a mixed bag at best but it's also an itch most people want to scratch, and it's tough to scratch it on the "better" platforms if none of your friends/family are there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Facebook is for your mom to post baby talk in the comments on pictures of the grandkids even though the grandkids can't read yet.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

withak posted:

Facebook is for your mom to post baby talk in the comments on pictures of the grandkids even though the grandkids can't read yet.

It is useful as a quarantine for that poo poo tho

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My aunt is so bad at Facebook it is hard to believe. Weird meandering tangents peppered with too-personal questions and disclosures about other people. Dozens of posts a day. Total dumpster fire.

edit: VVV oh, that too.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 28, 2018

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
And let's not even get into people loudly shouting their political opinions.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Facebook is the new FWD: FWD: FWD: email service for your aged 50+ relatives.

For me, Facebook is for keeping up with family. Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram are for keeping up with friends.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poemdexter posted:

For me, Facebook is for keeping up with family. Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram are for keeping up with friends.

same, except we have a group slack

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the plus side, I am friends with a lady who was the methodist minister at my parents church growing up. She is now retired in the backwoods of Idaho and has became hyper-woke following the rise of Trump (previously she only posted normal cat lady and religion stuff). She basically spends her time writing patient, reasonable, and persuasive responses to every right-wing meme that crosses her path, and often gets the nutcase who shared it to basically agree with her in the end. It is amazing.

edit: Likely they end up agreeing because because they don't feel like they can act like an rear end in a top hat to a preacher on facebook, but I have to think that she is moving the needle at least a tiny bit.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 28, 2018

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

withak posted:

On the plus side, I am friends with a lady who was the methodist minister at my parents church growing up. She is now retired in the backwoods of Idaho and has became hyper-woke following the rise of Trump (previously she only posted normal cat lady and religion stuff). She basically spends her time writing patient, reasonable, and persuasive responses to every right-wing meme that crosses her path, and often gets the nutcase who shared it to basically agree with her in the end. It is amazing.

Tell her to run for office.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, I wonder this too. I hear very different things about how young people are/aren't using it, are/aren't leaving it, are/aren't "aging into" it. There is definitely a growing awareness that it's a mixed bag at best but it's also an itch most people want to scratch, and it's tough to scratch it on the "better" platforms if none of your friends/family are there.

Facebook is dropping the 15-25 demography and the core reason for that is small but growing 15-18 part of that segment.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Help Im Alive posted:

Google+ launched without a mobile client or an API to allow mobile apps to use Google+ as a social graph.

Must have sucked not to have a mobile software development team available.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

On the other hand, we live in a world where people in my field use loving LinkedIn as a discussion forum. How I wish G+ had caught on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I loathe LinkedIn. A guillotine to whoever thought to make job hunting a social media platform.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I loathe LinkedIn. A guillotine to whoever thought to make job hunting a social media platform.

:yeah:

In other news, Spotify files for direct listing of up to $1 billion

quote:

Music streaming service Spotify filed for a direct listing of up to $1 billion with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday, becoming the first major company in the recent past to do so.

A direct listing is an unconventional way to pursue an IPO and will help Spotify list without the need to raise new capital or hire a Wall Street bank or broker to underwrite the offering.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Apparently shares have been privately selling for a while for over $150, a $23 Billion valuation. :laffo:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's such a strange example of not recognizing your role. The core function of LinkedIn is awesome. It's a public repository for resumes and a place for you to compile a rolodex on every professional connection you have ever made. Whoever decided it also needed to be Business Facebook and an unending source of junk mail needs to be taken out behind the building and shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Baronash posted:

Whoever decided it also needed to be Business Facebook and an unending source of junk mail needs to be taken out behind the building and shot.

Nah, do it in the front office to set an example for anyone who's considering similar ideas.