Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i for sure did not get a warning a box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SkySteak posted:

So are the complaints in a Apocalypse actually worthwhile or are people just whining, given that the rating is currently lingering at 65%? Is it just the new changes or is there actually some severe issues with the game currently?

Steam reviews for Paradox expansion packs always get tanked by people complaining about having to pay for DLC, which in this case is really silly since all the game-changing stuff was in the free 2.0 patch anyway.

(This RPS article breaks it down pretty well: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/26/stellaris-apocalypse-review/)

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Splicer posted:

I have a few very specific complaints in a sea of holy poo poo this is a good game made better by a great patch.

Yeah, this. There are legitimate gripes with the game's balance but the base mechanics are brilliant and perfectly functional at the moment.

By the way, didn't they say in the pre-release patch notes that high living standards would have their consumer goods multiplier reduced? It looks like they're still 1.25/1.50 for Social Welfare/Utopian in-game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are "civics" new with 2.0 or have they been around since a previous patch/expansion? Is the wiki on them up to date or can anyone explain them to me?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, this. There are legitimate gripes with the game's balance but the base mechanics are brilliant and perfectly functional at the moment.

By the way, didn't they say in the pre-release patch notes that high living standards would have their consumer goods multiplier reduced? It looks like they're still 1.25/1.50 for Social Welfare/Utopian in-game.

I'm going to say that the only problems I've got with the expansion are raiders flying through your territory blowing poo poo up with nothing you can do and the way war works as a pacifist.
Everything else is a huge net positive.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are "civics" new with 2.0 or have they been around since a previous patch/expansion? Is the wiki on them up to date or can anyone explain them to me?

They've been in for a while (think since the Utopia patch? if not launch?) They're 2 (eventually 3) minor bonuses you can give your empire at start. The ones you can pick change depending on your type of government or ethics (you need to be Fanatic Pacifist to take the one that gives you Unity points for every farm for example)

List: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Government#Civics

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

King Doom posted:

Things that are fun: getting the Dragonscale armor for the very first time only to discover that it's literally identically to Crystal Forged Plating.

It's entirely different. Dragon armor adds armor, the crystal plate adds hull. Armor is better than hull, since no weapons are crappy against hull, but tons of weapons do bonus damage to it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jazerus posted:

just wanted to make a couple comments on this:

1. if you're caught without 6 corvettes when the pirates come, pause, examine their weapon loadout. if they're gun-heavy (which seems to be the usual preference for pirates) refit your corvettes to all armor, if they're laser-heavy refit to all shields. the starting 3 corvettes can handle the first pirate fleet with this advantage particularly if you jump on them while they're fighting an outpost.

2. a lot of people seem to go for the labs as first picks, i'm not sure why though. you're not going to have more than 3 planets for a long while under most circumstances, each of those planets will have maybe 5 labs max, maybe a few more if you're lucky and they're all pretty big. you will have to upgrade them all once you've got the techs. so, you're spending early-game research time that could have gotten you something else, 1500+ minerals, and a lot of building time (which is no joke, now) for...15 research of various types. very underwhelming. this isn't to say you should never upgrade your labs - that would be dumb - but the early game is really a bad time to do it. a basic science lab is 75% as good as a tier 1 bio/physics/engineering lab and is only 33% of the total cost of the tier 1 labs.

pick anything but labs as your first research. i beg you. the best picks are probably administrative AI (5% research speed), planetary unification (+2 unity) or genome mapping (+10% growth speed) if that's not available, and powered exoskeletons (5% minerals).

Yes, for sure. I used to pick labs first but i found it would be decades before upgrading. All those other bonuses will be more meaningful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It turns out the unity cost increases for systems and planets multiplying together is a bug: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/warning-to-wide-players-unity-costs-are-now-multiplied.1073408/page-3#post-23873535

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
So many things have been made better with 2.0 that the lack of a proper event log and pause option settings is even more jarring than it used to be. Which is a shame.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone ever had two of their shipyards constantly switching positions in the outliner list on the right? I'd take a screenshot but it's not visible in any given frame. I'd wager they're switching position sixty times a second or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lum_ posted:

They've been in for a while (think since the Utopia patch? if not launch?) They're 2 (eventually 3) minor bonuses you can give your empire at start. The ones you can pick change depending on your type of government or ethics (you need to be Fanatic Pacifist to take the one that gives you Unity points for every farm for example)

List: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Government#Civics
Thank you! They were definitely not in at launch. I played for about a month after launch and quit well before Utopia came out so I am guessing they were a Utopia thing :v:.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Tomn posted:

The thing is that Apocalypse radically reworked the FTL systems, effectively eliminating Warp and Wormholes as they used to exist.

This has created a very vocal and passionate contingent of pissed-off fans of said FTL methods.

Yeah, because ordering a fleet to intercept an enemy fleet and then playing space-tag for years across multiple warp jumps because everyone can just immediately warp back out of a system as soon as they enter it was such Fun and Compelling Gameplay (tm)

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018
So, turns out the AI has been paying 50% less maintenance costs than players since Utopia.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

So, turns out the AI has been paying 50% less maintenance costs than players since Utopia.

this seems like something that should scale with difficulties

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

binge crotching posted:

It's entirely different. Dragon armor adds armor, the crystal plate adds hull. Armor is better than hull, since no weapons are crappy against hull, but tons of weapons do bonus damage to it.

Well poo poo, I did not notice that and now I feel like an idiot. Probably a sign I've been playing too long today.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The AI seems to keep up with me on ship numbers, but its tech seems hopelessly far behind. Everyone wants research agreements and they have like four techs I don't while I have sixty they don't.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sloober posted:

this seems like something that should scale with difficulties
It already gets bonuses on higher difficulties, the maintenance decrease is just to make up for the fact that it's baseline worse at building up resource production than human players.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

that is a good thing

the AI at launch had a tendency to destroy their economies by building up enough of a fleet to ward off an early rush and thus not only neglecting their economy but also permanently draining it through maintenance costs. the AI was incredibly bad at expanding unless they had an advanced start, which gave them a sensibly built-up initial empire. but, you do want the AI to be able to fight a player even very early, so forcing them to focus exclusively on economy isn't desirable either.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
How fast is decadence supposed to tick up on average? I'm biding my time right now to gank an awakened empire that is just sitting in a corner at the edge of my empire's backyard. Its pops had a 1.5% production penalty from decadence when I first inspected them, but a decade later that hasn't changed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

pick anything but labs as your first research. i beg you. the best picks are probably administrative AI (5% research speed), planetary unification (+2 unity) or genome mapping (+10% growth speed) if that's not available, and powered exoskeletons (5% minerals).

No!

(I always take my first techs for roleplay reasons. And even later, I often stop and think: "What would the people of this empire actually choose, based on their own desires?" Ironically, Planetary Unification is always my first pick for that exact same reason: It just makes so much sense in the early game, when you're still a young, barely united space civilization.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

Jazerus posted:

that is a good thing

Would be cool for it to be spelled out somewhere though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SkySteak posted:

So are the complaints in a Apocalypse actually worthwhile or are people just whining, given that the rating is currently lingering at 65%? Is it just the new changes or is there actually some severe issues with the game currently?

Mostly whining. There are a fair number of things that need to be patched but with how much of the game was changed in the expansion/2.0 it's not a huge surprise. It's not like it won't be fixed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Libluini posted:

No!

(I always take my first techs for roleplay reasons. And even later, I often stop and think: "What would the people of this empire actually choose, based on their own desires?" Ironically, Planetary Unification is always my first pick for that exact same reason: It just makes so much sense in the early game, when you're still a young, barely united space civilization.)

if you're playing a bunch of folks who don't want an AI that can clear out their spam folder and powered exoskeletons to take all of the effort out of manual labor while being joyously united with all of their fellow [Root.GetSpeciesName] brothers and sisters across the globe, i don't even know why you'd want to play as them

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Libluini posted:

No!

That's what I do too!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slashrat posted:

How fast is decadence supposed to tick up on average? I'm biding my time right now to gank an awakened empire that is just sitting in a corner at the edge of my empire's backyard. Its pops had a 1.5% production penalty from decadence when I first inspected them, but a decade later that hasn't changed.

I believe its based partly on them actually doing something. ie conquering.

Alternatively maybe they found the "Straighten up" button.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grand Fromage posted:

Mostly whining. There are a fair number of things that need to be patched but with how much of the game was changed in the expansion/2.0 it's not a huge surprise. It's not like it won't be fixed.

Yeah overall the expansion is really, really, really good.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

King Doom posted:

Well poo poo, I did not notice that and now I feel like an idiot. Probably a sign I've been playing too long today.

It's not to say that the Crystal Plate is bad, especially with how early you can get it. I'm using a mix of Dragonscale + Crystal Plate on my ships, which when combined with the Regenerative bit makes for some really nice EHP.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
e: ^No shields at all? Seems like you'd be screwed if you run into someone with a lot of plasma and/or neutron launchers. Perdition beam does bonus damage to armor and hull too, and I think only -25% damage to shields.

Really glad this is getting fixed. Shame it didn't make it into this patch, though.

e: This should be such a simple fix that I have to assume Wiz didn't know about this. I knew I should have bothered to make twitter account instead of hoping he'd read SA. I imagine that would have been a better use of my time than making a bug report on the paradox forums.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 28, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Staltran posted:

e: This should be such a simple fix that I have to assume Wiz didn't know about this. I knew I should have bothered to make twitter account instead of hoping he'd read SA. I imagine that would have been a better use of my time than making a bug report on the paradox forums.

The Paradox bug forums have been reproducing and logging a lot of things reported, so I'm not sure about that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you want a quick-fix to the unity costs, modding TRADITION_COST_MULT_NUM_SYSTEMS in defines.txt to 0.01 instead of 0.02 brings the unity costs more in-line with the intended values, although since multiplicative and additive produce differently shaped curves, no adjustment to the user-visible files can genuinely fix the bug. if you do this, the math dictates that extremely large empires will eventually benefit more than intended, so if you intend to grow extremely large a value of 0.015 might be better for balance.

myself i'll probably just wait for the patch, but if it's driving anyone really crazy, make the above fix in the mean time

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Libluini posted:

No!

I like choosing the labs because it's REALLY annoying having just one of them and it telling you to upgrade your science lab all the time but realising you haven't got the right one.
I waste so much time constantly checking and then realising.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

I like choosing the labs because it's REALLY annoying having just one of them and it telling you to upgrade your science lab all the time but realising you haven't got the right one.
I waste so much time constantly checking and then realising.

This is why I research the labs as soon as I can.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

binge crotching posted:

This is why I research the labs as soon as I can.

Yes, the post I was replying to was a post in reply to someone saying not to do it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I turned off Marauders after they spawned like 5 jumps from my homeworld the second game in a row.

Unfun, random bullshit

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

if you're playing a bunch of folks who don't want an AI that can clear out their spam folder and powered exoskeletons to take all of the effort out of manual labor while being joyously united with all of their fellow [Root.GetSpeciesName] brothers and sisters across the globe, i don't even know why you'd want to play as them

I tend to play either as machines who have better things to do than manual labor, or space kittens who barely survived their unification and still have to fight down hostile political efforts to drive them apart again. :v:

(That said, exoskeletons and robots are, for purely roleplay reasons, one of the first things my non-robot empires go for.)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

binge crotching posted:

On the other hand stacking hull points is the only way to counter bypass weapons like Disruptors and Arc Emitters and also stuff that bypasses shields and deals bonus damage to armor. I noticed this when fighting the spiritualist FE who loves those kinds of weapons.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Magil Zeal posted:

On the other hand stacking hull points is the only way to counter bypass weapons like Disruptors and Arc Emitters and also stuff that bypasses shields and deals bonus damage to armor. I noticed this when fighting the spiritualist FE who loves those kinds of weapons.

Speaking of which, has anyone done the numbers on whether an all Disruptor/Arc Emitter/Cloud Lightning strategy can work compared to the better versions of Laser/Rails/etc?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone done the numbers on whether an all Disruptor/Arc Emitter/Cloud Lightning strategy can work compared to the better versions of Laser/Rails/etc?

I'm not sure but in theory it might be good against FEs because there are no repeatable techs that increase hull points anymore (except for defense platforms which are alarmingly fragile anyway), unlike repeatables that increase shields/armor by a %.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

The Paradox bug forums have been reproducing and logging a lot of things reported, so I'm not sure about that.

Yes but this was something that was documented behavior in the defines. It's not an obvious bug, you'd need to ask a designer if that's how it's supposed to work or not. Given the volume of bug reports after the release of 2.0, the people checking the bug report forum probably passed it over in favor of lower hanging fruit.

Now that I checked, it did get a vote of helpful though, and I assume no-one who doesn't work for Paradox bothers to go vote on bug reports. So maybe you're right.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 28, 2018