Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:thunk:

~a year and a half ago~

"Hey boss, I think I just thought of a way that we can get our customers to pay us to use our products, *then* pay us to buy the products they've been paying us to use."

Yeah im pretty terrified of this becoming a thing now that the current market conditions favor it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FaustianQ posted:

Limitations on being able to fit as many GPU as possible using x1 adapters? Basically scaling issue? You could have a VBIOS which goes apeshit when it detects more than two active GPUs in a system, right? So create versions of the GPU without this limitation and miners will snatch them up but not the limited ones which do, yet even the unlimited ones still have resell value and use to non-miners, evading the issue with dedicated mining cards?

You can trivially get around this by utilizing a hypervisor and passing through individual GPUs to a stripped down VM that does nothing but run an instance of whatever mining software you want. No VM deals with more than one GPU, and none of the GPUs ever know about the existence of the others. I don't think video cards are explicitly aware of other cards during BIOS boot, either, so I doubt you could try to implement it pre-OS load, but I could be wrong.

Requiring each card to use a 16x PCIe slot would help somewhat, but mostly would just push miners to purchase some of the crazy $500+ top-end motherboards that support 4x 16x slots.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
What if it can only run programs that are whitelisted ahead of time and you need to link GeForce experience to your Facebook account to stop people from running multiple boxes or it won’t go over a few hundred MHz, basically just enough juice to boot into windows?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, I own nVidia *stock*, and if this isn't bullshit I'm going to burn everything they own to the ground: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61023/nvidia-price-geforce-gtx-2080-up-1499/index.html

EDIT: Never mind, it's clickbait speculation. Honestly I'm expecting $499-549 for the x70 and $699-749 for the x80. They won't *sell* for that, but that's my guess for initial MSRP.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 28, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Depending on RAM amount, I could see a Titan dropping north of $1000, but that's about it.

And, yeah, owning NVidia stock has been a pretty great investment over the past year or two, no?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, I own nVidia *stock*, and if this isn't bullshit I'm going to burn everything they own to the ground: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61023/nvidia-price-geforce-gtx-2080-up-1499/index.html

EDIT: Never mind, it's clickbait speculation. Honestly I'm expecting $499-549 for the x70 and $699-749 for the x80. They won't *sell* for that, but that's my guess for initial MSRP.

I could actually see them doing the high end on this, but I doubt that this is going to be Nvidia raising the prices. It doesn't cost extra for Nvidia for the dies themselves, it's going to be board manufacturers, like they are doing now, increases prices to offset VRAM costs. The problem is if these XX70 and XX80 cards stay with the current norm of VRAM amounts we could easily see XX80 at $700+.

DrDork posted:

Depending on RAM amount, I could see a Titan dropping north of $1000, but that's about it.

And, yeah, owning NVidia stock has been a pretty great investment over the past year or two, no?

You missed the news, the Titan V dropped at north of $2998.99.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Should I sell my 1080 ti and wait for the 2080 to drop?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jonathan posted:

Should I sell my 1080 ti and wait for the 2080 to drop?
Curious about this too

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You’ll end up stuck with integrated graphics until this time next year. Take your 1080tis and be happy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stupid 1080ti still struggles with wildlands @ 1080p. I'm not sure which setting kills it but it'll drop from 100fps. Down to 35fps for no reason.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jonathan posted:

Stupid 1080ti still struggles with wildlands @ 1080p. I'm not sure which setting kills it but it'll drop from 100fps. Down to 35fps for no reason.

Wildlands is a really intensive game when you crank the settings, both on your GPU and CPU. I have an 8700K and 1080 Ti and at 1080p if I want to hold 120 fps most of the time I have to turn some of the settings down.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I'm on a 7600k @ 4.8ghz and a clean windows 1p install. I think it's an optimisation thing because the choppy frames happen for no reason. If I run it at high, it cures it. I think it's a vegetation or long distance shadows thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jonathan posted:

Yeah I'm on a 7600k @ 4.8ghz and a clean windows 1p install. I think it's an optimisation thing because the choppy frames happen for no reason. If I run it at high, it cures it. I think it's a vegetation or long distance shadows thing.

The shadow setting does something funky for sure. Maxed out I get 90 fps in an urban area, but turn shadows down to high and I gain 20-30 FPS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SlayVus posted:

You missed the news, the Titan V dropped at north of $2998.99.

Yeah, but that was/is fairly clearly a compute card, with comparatively low gaming performance. I fully expect a Titan A/T to drop to service the ultra-high end gaming crowd.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The really hosed up thing is that if you could be reasonably guaranteed that the Titan V would be a "5-7 year card," the $3000 outlay isn't terrible under the "new normal." As it stands, the only thing that's capping the 1080Ti at $1200 is that you can get the Star Wars Titan Xp for $1138 (cute, nVidia, real cute)...when they're in stock.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The really hosed up thing is that if you could be reasonably guaranteed that the Titan V would be a "5-7 year card," the $3000 outlay isn't terrible under the "new normal." As it stands, the only thing that's capping the 1080Ti at $1200 is that you can get the Star Wars Titan Xp for $1138 (cute, nVidia, real cute)...when they're in stock.

What card came out 5-7 years ago that you would be happy with right now?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lockback posted:

What card came out 5-7 years ago that you would be happy with right now?

Point. Still, seeing as I'm only ever going to be running high-refresh 1440p for the next 5-7 years... :shrug:

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
How stupid would it be to buy a Titan XP at msrp right now? In Canada 1080 ti's are going for like $1200-1300 if you can even find one. After exchange the XP comes to around 1600.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

How stupid would it be to buy a Titan XP at msrp right now? In Canada 1080 ti's are going for like $1200-1300 if you can even find one. After exchange the XP comes to around 1600.

The Titan Xp isn't worth the $3-400 price difference. The performance gains are minimal to unnoticeable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I miss being able to upgrade my PC at reasonable prices. I wanted to upgrade my ram and 2x the price it just makes it not worth it. I'd love to bump up my video card but with these insane prices it's just not worth the gains to me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Titan Xp isn't worth the $3-400 price difference. The performance gains are minimal to unnoticeable.

Not to mention that you can get a 1080ti with a good cooler out of the box, but if you buy a Titan Xp you'll probably end up spending even more money to replace the blower.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Out of curiosity, which laptop are you running? If the next generations are far out I might just shell out for something new now.

I picked up the EVGA SC17 1070 with G-Sync right before Christmas when they dropped the price to $1,400 (Or $,1300 without G-Sync but it's worth it). They did the same sale not too long ago but sold out pretty quick so it you want to keep an eye out for it you will have to be quick.

For that price considering all they threw into it (6820HK, 32G DDR4, 256G NVME, 1TB HDD, 17" 4K G-Sync, 2 Year Warranty, etc) and after getting it, the only thing that's a bummer is it is heavy and the port selection is pretty limited without a dongle.

The reviews you may find complain about the touchpad, which out of the box is pure garbage, but there is a Windows Precision Touchpad driver you can install that makes it into one of the best touchpad I have used. Funny Synaptec has gotten so bad at software after all these years.

The screen is one of the best 4K laptop screen I have seen. The color production on it almost makes it look like an OLED screen and the keyboard is fantastic to type on for a laptop.

For the price I feel it was one hell of a bang for the buck and so far have not been disappointed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EdEddnEddy posted:

I picked up the EVGA SC17 1070 with G-Sync right before Christmas when they dropped the price to $1,400 (Or $,1300 without G-Sync but it's worth it). They did the same sale not too long ago but sold out pretty quick so it you want to keep an eye out for it you will have to be quick.

For that price considering all they threw into it (6820HK, 32G DDR4, 256G NVME, 1TB HDD, 17" 4K G-Sync, 2 Year Warranty, etc) and after getting it, the only thing that's a bummer is it is heavy and the port selection is pretty limited without a dongle.

The reviews you may find complain about the touchpad, which out of the box is pure garbage, but there is a Windows Precision Touchpad driver you can install that makes it into one of the best touchpad I have used. Funny Synaptec has gotten so bad at software after all these years.

The screen is one of the best 4K laptop screen I have seen. The color production on it almost makes it look like an OLED screen and the keyboard is fantastic to type on for a laptop.

For the price I feel it was one hell of a bang for the buck and so far have not been disappointed.

Amazon says this laptop is 10 pounds..that..can't be right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Amazon says this laptop is 10 pounds..that..can't be right?

8.9617 lbs (wow, precise much) on EVGA's website, but that's probably not counting the AC adapter.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I guess if you're looking at 800 for a new 1070 (which still blows my mind this is happening) it's not hard to justify the extra grand for the rest of the machine at 1800.

I know I'm not saying anything new but we're in some wacky poo poo when it's about half the cost to just get a laptop and use it as a tower rather than pay double for the same build in desktop parts.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol I know its bad guys, and I really do mean that, but we're approaching two actual months of true shortages. I dont think we need to be thinking in terms of years of shortages right now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EdEddnEddy posted:

Do they make a 14-15" screen model for this? A 17" laptop won't fit into my backpack. I've been looking at the Aero 15 since the bezels are tiny and it looks perfect for the size but I don't think it offers G-Sync, or what I'd prefer, 120hz.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So my MSI ARMOR 1080 ti that’s a couple months old has a fan that makes a fast clicking sound now. It’s extremely grating; you guys think that would be RMA-able?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Last year I bought a 1080ti to power my HTC Vive racing wheel setup. Got a few months of fun out of it, but when my Masters program started again I decided my grades would be better off if I liquidated. Wound up craigslisting the Vive for $700, and the 1080ti right after for $600. (It was the constantly-throttling MSI Armor edition). All this right before the crazy bitcoin bubble. Now my PC doesn't have a videocard at all, and probably wont until graduation in May when the market (hopefully) cools off.

Feels good to sit out all this craziness.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do they make a 14-15" screen model for this? A 17" laptop won't fit into my backpack. I've been looking at the Aero 15 since the bezels are tiny and it looks perfect for the size but I don't think it offers G-Sync, or what I'd prefer, 120hz.

They do have the SC15 but It only has a 1060 (which isn't a slouch by any means) but yes the SC series is a bit heavy for even a gaming laptop. It is not light even though it is all aluminum. The build quality is on par with a Macbook and the metal finish is really nice if a bit of a fingerprint magnet.

I was looking at the Aorus 15" line which I tried a while back and while it was fantastic with the 7820HK and a 1070 with the 3K screen. That 3K screen res doesn't work well with a lot of games since its some oddball res. Some games would refuse to run normally with it which made no sense. That and it was also around $2400+ vs this things was $1500 after tax and delivered to my door. Hard to justify the small bump to a 7820HK and TB3 alone but the 15", size, and weight difference makes it super tempting.

The touchpad, keyboard, and screen of that Aorus can't hold a candle to the SC17's however. Not like you will be using the Touchpad to game, but to just use it like a laptop a bit its night and day.

One thing I don't get, for how big the SC17 is it has a smaller battery than the 15" AORUS (76KW vs 99KW) Not like I am going to use it on battery a lot. Its weird how the size doesn't include more in the SC. EVGA's first foray into Laptops I guess showing.

On that note the Aorus included charger doesn't push enough power to actually OC it any even if you want to. (The SC's does and the CPU can run at 4.2Ghz pretty reliably if a bit hot) The Aorus can hit 4.4 but the power limits itself to about 4ghz or lower.

The SC17 does fit into an ASUS backpack I got with my G73JH. Its a tight fit since its a bit wider even if its thinner, but the backpack works great for hauling around a heavy laptop + stuff.

If you are looking for portability more than raw power, I would actually go with the latest Aorus X3. drat thing is tiny yet packs a hell of a lot of tech into such a small body. Looks like a XPS 13 on steroids in a way.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

tehinternet posted:

So my MSI ARMOR 1080 ti that’s a couple months old has a fan that makes a fast clicking sound now. It’s extremely grating; you guys think that would be RMA-able?

Your card's hsf sucks to begin with, rip it off and do a hybrid or other solution.

https://youtu.be/BNQtfNFCWa8

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Electronaut posted:

Your card's hsf sucks to begin with, rip it off and do a hybrid or other solution.

Yep, the trick is that the ARMOR 1080 Ti is a great card with a lovely hsf, so it's worth replacing it with something good...

I couldn't be arsed, so I let MSI do it for me (Gaming X)

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

Lol I know its bad guys, and I really do mean that, but we're approaching two actual months of true shortages. I dont think we need to be thinking in terms of years of shortages right now.

Look my steam backlog is not going to play itself

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Albinator posted:

Planning to play your backlog at all was your first mistake

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
RIP PC Gaming 1951-2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Albinator posted:

If your backlog includes FFXII, with the right gambits it basically can!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well, there is always the move to a complete Cloud Hosted PC for all your gaming needs.

If you have the bandwidth, you can play on anything from your Phone to a Chromebook, Mac, whatever.

For $35 a month, that would almost round out the cost of getting a new GPU every few years, and a new PC after a handfull more.

Thanks Buttminers. :argh:

*drat I wish I would have kept mining/researching a bit more back in 2012 lol. Hindsight and all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EdEddnEddy posted:

They do have the SC15 but It only has a 1060 (which isn't a slouch by any means) but yes the SC series is a bit heavy for even a gaming laptop. It is not light even though it is all aluminum. The build quality is on par with a Macbook and the metal finish is really nice if a bit of a fingerprint magnet.

I was looking at the Aorus 15" line which I tried a while back and while it was fantastic with the 7820HK and a 1070 with the 3K screen. That 3K screen res doesn't work well with a lot of games since its some oddball res. Some games would refuse to run normally with it which made no sense. That and it was also around $2400+ vs this things was $1500 after tax and delivered to my door. Hard to justify the small bump to a 7820HK and TB3 alone but the 15", size, and weight difference makes it super tempting.

The touchpad, keyboard, and screen of that Aorus can't hold a candle to the SC17's however. Not like you will be using the Touchpad to game, but to just use it like a laptop a bit its night and day.

One thing I don't get, for how big the SC17 is it has a smaller battery than the 15" AORUS (76KW vs 99KW) Not like I am going to use it on battery a lot. Its weird how the size doesn't include more in the SC. EVGA's first foray into Laptops I guess showing.

On that note the Aorus included charger doesn't push enough power to actually OC it any even if you want to. (The SC's does and the CPU can run at 4.2Ghz pretty reliably if a bit hot) The Aorus can hit 4.4 but the power limits itself to about 4ghz or lower.

The SC17 does fit into an ASUS backpack I got with my G73JH. Its a tight fit since its a bit wider even if its thinner, but the backpack works great for hauling around a heavy laptop + stuff.

If you are looking for portability more than raw power, I would actually go with the latest Aorus X3. drat thing is tiny yet packs a hell of a lot of tech into such a small body. Looks like a XPS 13 on steroids in a way.

Well as it stands I have a Razer Blade with a 6700HQ and 1060 so if anything, I'm looking at a small upgrade, the 1060 runs most of my games perfectly and trying to run anything natively at 3K/4K isn't going to happen with a 1060 or 1070, plus I don't have any 4K content to view either. My sweetspot would be a 1070 with a 120hz (at 1080p) panel but nothing seems to have that in the 15" form factor. 1080p is fine for me. The Blade spoiled me with it's tiny size and portability, but it also hosed me with it's exploding battery right out of warranty so I'm looking to just drop the brand since Razer doesn't offer batteries to install yourself so they charge you hundreds to get installed by them. It's total bullshit. I don't know if I should just hold out though, there's tempting laptops out there but would it really be worth it getting a new one right now with new GPUs coming this year? I don't know.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Electronaut posted:

https://youtu.be/BNQtfNFCWa8

If I had known you could make your own hybrid, I would have bought that Gigabyte 1080 instead of an EVGA 1070 way back when, when the reviews about it's noise scared me off.

I hate noise, but I already have a 120mm cooler for my CPU that I could rededicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well as it stands I have a Razer Blade with a 6700HQ and 1060 so if anything, I'm looking at a small upgrade, the 1060 runs most of my games perfectly and trying to run anything natively at 3K/4K isn't going to happen with a 1060 or 1070, plus I don't have any 4K content to view either. My sweetspot would be a 1070 with a 120hz (at 1080p) panel but nothing seems to have that in the 15" form factor. 1080p is fine for me. The Blade spoiled me with it's tiny size and portability, but it also hosed me with it's exploding battery right out of warranty so I'm looking to just drop the brand since Razer doesn't offer batteries to install yourself so they charge you hundreds to get installed by them. It's total bullshit. I don't know if I should just hold out though, there's tempting laptops out there but would it really be worth it getting a new one right now with new GPUs coming this year? I don't know.

4K 60FPS with G-Sync is quite possible with a 1070 at least. Only a few tweaks are needed to pretty much peg 60FPS in games like Destiny 2 and the like and G-Sync helps if it goes below.

Also if you wanna go full crazy, they do make a 15" Aorus X5 with a 1080 in it Max-Q Style. Only thing is you need a different power adapter to keep it from power throttling when everything is going full tilt lol. Nice one Aorus.

Still. A 1080 in a 15" laptop is pretty dang badass. Can't wait to see what they shove into smaller laptops in the next gen if we get anywhere close to the same benefit/boost as we did going from Maxwell to Pascal.