Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow this game needs some loving hovertext. I dont know what anything is and none of it is explained. What the gently caress is the difference between "Explore System" and "Survey System"? What/how do half the things in the fleet manager mean/do/work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wow this game needs some loving hovertext. I dont know what anything is and none of it is explained. What the gently caress is the difference between "Explore System" and "Survey System"? What/how do half the things in the fleet manager mean/do/work?

You should consult the out of data wiki which for the most part doesn't cover the new update :)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a reason why fleets set to aggressive don't auto-bomb planets anymore? Is there a way to turn this back on?

Bombing isn't mandatory anymore, and it comes with some downsides, so you dont always want to do it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

explore system just moves the science ship there. this is useful only because other ships can't enter systems until a science ship has. survey system surveys all of the objects in a system for resources.

every button in the fleet manager does actually have a tooltip

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The vast majority of things in the game have tooltips honestly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

You should consult the out of data wiki which for the most part doesn't cover the new update :)
:suicide:

Jazerus posted:

explore system just moves the science ship there. this is useful only because other ships can't enter systems until a science ship has. survey system surveys all of the objects in a system for resources.

every button in the fleet manager does actually have a tooltip
Yes but what about non-buttons? What does the #/# mean? Why is it there, what does it do, why do I see it, how do I change it (if I want to change it)? What does "Command Limit" mean, how does it affect me, and how do I change it? Is that the limit per fleet or for my empire as a whole? Things like that.

edit: also its a complete loving joke that I have started four games now and each of the planets I start near are size 15 or smaller.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but what about non-buttons? What does the #/# mean? Why is it there, what does it do, why do I see it, how do I change it (if I want to change it)? What does "Command Limit" mean, how does it affect me, and how do I change it? Is that the limit per fleet or for my empire as a whole? Things like that.

#/# is number of ships in the fleet vs number of ships supposed to be in the fleet, to change it you click the plus and minus buttons, that should be fairly obvious. Command limit is how many ships the fleet can have, which is separate from your naval cap which is empire wide.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Have you tried the tutorial? Also the Wiki is out of date in terms of a lot of more subtle mechanics, but should be fairly helpful for broader stuff like what is command limit?

Also this is a Paradox Interactive game. Figuring out how the game works is a substantial part of the fun and challenge.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

edit: oops wrong one

Most of the tool tips are a two stage thing. First stage (top text) is immediately relevant info, second stage (bottom text) is usually a more detailed break down of what a number means and why it is that number and shows up a bit after. Though yeah it doesn't show up in the Command Limit listing on the Fleet Manager tab and that's just bad design.

But yeah command limit is per-fleet, and is boosted by techs (typically ones bringing in new ship types).

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

The #/# on the fleet display is the number of ships of that your currently in the fleet and the maximum number of that type assigned in the fleet template. If you have one type of ship with less in the fleet than the second number (like 2/10 or whatever), if you click the reinforce command for the fleet and have the minerals, your shipyards will produce the ships necessary to bring the fleet back into agreement with the template.

Command Limit is per fleet, and serves to break up the doomstacks of 1.x.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
My neighboring devouring swarm went from being one of the strongest nations on the map to dead in about a year thanks to them settling on a holy world. It's really a shame because they were interesting to say the least, and now my cool wall of forts are pointless.

What's weird is that their species is still alive on certain planets that the fallen empire now own, but they just sit there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, thank you for all the replies. I didnt even know there was a tutorial and even if there was I would probably ignore it because Paradox tutorials are usually dreadfully bad.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and if you tell it to build an outpost from the starmap it will try to build one on every star in the system, I think it can only actually complete one of them though, I dunno how it would react if you left it to try and build two of them.

I assume it works just like mining/research things do. I assign two constructors to work a system at the galaxy map level, the first one will reserve the resources needed for all the stations. The second one will reserve the resources needed for all the stations -1 which the first constructor is already assigned to. As they work their way through the system and hit locations that the other constructor has already done, they give a report that 'cannot build station - resources refunded' and move to the next one. Works really well as long as you have a large enough resource (mineral) buffer to have about double the required resources reserved at the beginning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would hope so yes, I'm just not sure how well the game accounts for that with outposts given that I've only encountered one binary system in the base game and that's one of the maurauder ones.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Why don’t you just try it and see what happens. Geez

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Bombing isn't mandatory anymore, and it comes with some downsides, so you dont always want to do it.

Either the ground troops invade right away, or they need the fleet to soften things up a bit. Now I need to zoom into every system and manually order bombing. It's not as bad as manually ordering group troops around, but it's like 2 steps forward one step back on the fight against unnecessary invasion micro. I can see situations where you want the fleet to be aggressive against space assets but ignore planets, which would be nice if we could get another setting that included bombing, maybe a "siege" aggression setting where the fleet would auto-bomb.

Or just more intelligent behavior from the fleets, where if a fleet detects a friendly ground-troop fleet set to aggressive in the same system it will bomb as needed to help the troops.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Why don’t you just try it and see what happens. Geez
Because I would expect a game that has been out for ppbbttt two years? to have something simple like that covered.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Magil Zeal posted:

You can check one of the follower fleets to see what they are following.

Yeah, but then you have check each fleet to find the leader. Clicking the name doesn't take me to the leader.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did the pirate frequency get turned down post hotfix or did I suddenly git gud at borders? I started a new game and I've only had one pirate spawn in ~50 years.

Also, didn't spawn beside a marauder this time. Not being constantly hammered by pirates and raids is like playing a completely different game. I have minerals! I can build and upgrade starbases! I can build defence platforms even!

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Oh and other pro tip, a lot of people get confused by the fleet manager saying they have 0/12 of a particular design when they have 8 corvettes or whatever, and click reinforce and end up with 20 corvettes and assume it's not working. This is because they need to upgrade those 8 corvettes - The Fleet Manager is based off how many current ships of that design you have, and if you drop in the "autobest" designs they update that design all the drat time.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wow, thank you for all the replies. I didnt even know there was a tutorial and even if there was I would probably ignore it because Paradox tutorials are usually dreadfully bad.

I don't know how well the tutorial has been updated since release but when I first played Stellaris the tutorial was plenty helpful without being obtrusive. A million times better than the tutorials in EU4 or CK2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm fine with the fleet manage as is, but it being a little smarter and not reinforcing simply due to having older version of the same design would be nice. Like it should know I have 8/8 cruisers in the fleet regardless of the design and not order new ones. Reinforce should only order ships if there's space in the fleet for them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

About https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Crisis

How is the roll for determining which crisis or non crisis made? How many sides are the dice?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
How do I force a custom race to have the ability to spawn as a fallen empire INSTEAD of a random generation? Is that possible? Is that what "spawn_as_fallen" is for in user_empire_designs.txt? Or is that only a random shot when telling it yes, instead of the default no?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Help I can't stop playing on Huge maps.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Ignorant Hick posted:

Help I can't stop playing on Huge maps.

How is the lag past 2550?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

They really need to split the fleet manager and fleet template components up. It's the mingling of the two sets of functionality that causes like 90% of the confusion, I think.

Maybe move the fleet template functions into the designer, to keep all of the "theoretical" things together conceptually, and then rework the fleet manager to just do the management stuff like assigning a template, bringing a fleet into agreement with a template, and reinforcing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hypnobeard posted:

They really need to split the fleet manager and fleet template components up. It's the mingling of the two sets of functionality that causes like 90% of the confusion, I think.

Maybe move the fleet template functions into the designer, to keep all of the "theoretical" things together conceptually, and then rework the fleet manager to just do the management stuff like assigning a template, bringing a fleet into agreement with a template, and reinforcing.

Is there a way to get rid of all the mining stations and civilian craft?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Soonmot posted:

Is there a way to get rid of all the mining stations and civilian craft?

Uh.. what?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hypnobeard posted:

Uh.. what?

In the fleet manager, I have an entry for every mining/research station, every civilian craft, every starbase, and every actual fleet. Makes scrolling through a pain in the rear end. Granted I could just select my fleet and access the fleet manager through the button there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Soonmot posted:

In the fleet manager, I have an entry for every mining/research station, every civilian craft, every starbase, and every actual fleet. Makes scrolling through a pain in the rear end. Granted I could just select my fleet and access the fleet manager through the button there.

Oh. That's usually called the outliner, if you're taking about the thing on the right side of the screen. There's no way to remove them that I know of but if you click on the category (the line that says Planets or whatever) it'll lampshade the category. (Minor annoyance: it doesn't remember the settings when you reload.)

I was thinking about the fleet manager screen you get to from the drop down menu or the button on the fleet detail pane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hypnobeard posted:

Oh. That's usually called the outliner, if you're taking about the thing on the right side of the screen. There's no way to remove them that I know of but if you click on the category (the line that says Planets or whatever) it'll lampshade the category. (Minor annoyance: it doesn't remember the settings when you reload.)

I was thinking about the fleet manager screen you get to from the drop down menu or the button on the fleet detail pane.

Try clicking the little cog at the top, it lets you turn things on and off as well as change the order.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is anybody else finding it really hard to research droids? I am about 90 years into my game and I have still yet to have see the tech pop up as an option.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

I really hope this was intentional. :v: I'm playing as Commonwealth of Man (Red) and just found UN of Earth (Blue) in 2340, literally right next door 11 jumps away from my home system. They've spent the entire game locked inside the Sol system by those raiders, I only finally found them because I put up a fortress with a listening post to stop the raiders.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Time to save and vassalize the lost homeworld!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Neat, a mod for fully automated luxury gay space communism.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316315912

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Enigmatic engineering + listening post gets you a ridiculous amount of information.

It’ll trigger hostile fleet warnings with ample time to respond.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Is anybody else finding it really hard to research droids? I am about 90 years into my game and I have still yet to have see the tech pop up as an option.

Do you have Colonial Centralization from Society Research? Droids takes both that and the robot tech.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Something I thought was interesting is that cloud lighting is now an L type mount and does pretty hefty damage bypassing shields and armour, might be a pretty high tier weapon honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grizzwold posted:

Neat, a mod for fully automated luxury gay space communism.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316315912

Oh nice a space communism mod not made by a tankie and full of purges and space gulags. Pretty bare bones so far though.

Also,
Is there a console command to destroy outposts and revert a system back to uncontrolled, or a console command to change ownership of a system? I've got some insane bad bordergore where every AI seems to have multiple random enclaves inside everyone else's territory and it's making me UPSET.