Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

OutsideAngel posted:

Just thinking about all the new and original video game properties released this year has got me psyched to attend a birthday bash with such fresh, iconic characters like.....

Hat girl and the rest of the crew from A Hat In Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

zoux posted:

It sneaks up on you every year

oh poo poo that reminds me, when is kill dozer? :killdozer:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lol, black panther is black dude.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Curing and smoking salmon are not the same thing :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Olive! posted:

SMOKE CURES SALMON

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Olive! posted:

https://goo.gl/images/FbP8CN

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That person just drew adult Cat Noir.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Oh hey it's Quatroking, the guy who admitted to fooling around with his cousin.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MaliciousOnion posted:

Oh hey it's Quatroking, the guy who admitted to fooling around with his cousin.

how does that even happen, who would admit to that poo poo, was it a brag?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

LifeSunDeath posted:

if you go back far enough we're all cousins.

also i'm descended from charlemagne and ghengis khan (a brag)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LifeSunDeath posted:

I knew a guy who ended up doing this in high school. He dated the girl for like 3 months, at which point he took her home to meet his parents. His mom freaked out and told him he could never see her again.

It was his moms estranged sisters daughter, who he had never met.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ms Adequate posted:

if you go back far enough we're all cousins.

also i'm descended from charlemagne and ghengis khan (a brag)

Seems like everyone I met who took a genealogy anything is related to multiple famous people. So 'grats.

or it's, you know, bullshit

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bombadilillo posted:

Seems like everyone I met who took a genealogy anything is related to multiple famous people. So 'grats.

or it's, you know, bullshit

Some huge percentage of people are descended from Ghengis. He raped his way across the world, and left enough kids to repopulate after all his massacres.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Some huge percentage of people are descended from Ghengis. He raped his way across the world, and left enough kids to repopulate after all his massacres.

Ludacris has hoes in different area codes.

Genghis Khan had so many hoes in so many parts of the world that there's a 0.5% chance you're descended from him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Really? I mean. He didn't personally rape everyone. 0.5% chance to have some Mongolian ancestry. But Genghis himself? Hmmmmmm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's the number I heard

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That's the number I heard

Oh, Well if you heard it. I concede. Apologies.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Wiki links the papers used as evidence if you care to look: Whole lotta Genghisids

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just some American shmo and I can trace a line to Charlemagne with documentation but so can about half a million other people if they try

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nuevo posted:

Wiki links the papers used as evidence if you care to look: Whole lotta Genghisids

So Genghis or his close male relatives or 8% of Mongolians. Impressive. But still not a direct line to the Khan from your you and 52 kit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sagebrush posted:

Ludacris has hoes in different area codes.

Genghis Khan had so many hoes in so many parts of the world that there's a 0.5% chance you're descended from him.

I got code in different haplogroup y-chromosomes

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Trace a line to Charlemagne.... the line from Charlemagnes dick to some random cooze.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Trace a line to Charlemagne.... the line from Charlemagnes dick to some random cooze.

Hey, watch the language, that's The Bloop's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandmother you're talking about! <:mad:>

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My ancestors were Slavic peasants. Maybe one of them was owned by someone famous, who knows!

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

The Bloop posted:

I'm just some American shmo and I can trace a line to Charlemagne with documentation but so can about half a million other people if they try

And unofficially, you can trace that lineage back to the widow of M Licinius Crassus, Tertulla

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RFC2324 posted:

I knew a guy who ended up doing this in high school. He dated the girl for like 3 months, at which point he took her home to meet his parents. His mom freaked out and told him he could never see her again.

It was his moms estranged sisters daughter, who he had never met.

holy poo poo it's like redneck star wars

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Azhais posted:

My ancestors were Slavic peasants. Maybe one of them was owned by someone famous, who knows!

Yeah I can totally prove perfectly documented lineage to a stack of pickpockets and hooers from the hellstreets of London in the late 1700s. :australia:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i was found, maggot-like, beneath a mossy rock

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Code Jockey posted:

holy poo poo it's like redneck star wars

Actually a fairly upper middle class family, so goes to show that you don't need to be a redneck to do some cousin lovin

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RFC2324 posted:

Actually a fairly upper middle class family, so goes to show that you don't need to be a redneck to do some cousin lovin

Hell no, you don't. Look at the old European royal families. There were plenty of mutant inbred children running around from those cousin fuckers.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
From the Give Teachers Guns thread in the :gb2gbs::

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Some of y'all are skeptical about people claiming to be descended from Charlemagne or Genghis Khan? Y'all apparently don't know about exponential growth.

You have 2 parents. They each have 2 parents, for a total of 4 grandparents. Then 8 great-grandparents, and so on. n generations back = 2^n ancestors at that level. A generation is 20-30 years usually, give or take, so let's say 25 years. By that measure, Charlemagne is about 48 generations ago. Your number of ancestors at that level is 2^48, or 281 thousand billion people, which is more people than ever lived by a factor of like a thousand. So, obviously our assumptions break down somewhere. Once you get back more than 4-5 generations, it becomes pretty likely that there's some level of "inbreeding" (not really like incest or whatever since we're talking about like 3rd+ cousins and poo poo which is hardly related at all) in your family tree. But still, your number of ancestors grows ridiculously when you're looking back as far as someone like Charlemagne. Therefore it can't be surprising if one of those bajillion people that directly produced you is Charlemagne, or any other person.

Almost everyone who has western European blood in them is directly descended from Charlemagne. They're also probably descended from the night soil man who shoveled Charlemagne's poo poo (assuming that dude had kids). Similarly, almost anyone descended from people in the places Genghis Khan conquered (China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, etc.) is descended from Genghis Khan. And also plenty of people from outside those regions, too, because sometimes people move around. 0.5% is a really low estimate*, but I don't have a better one on hand unfortunately - my gut tells me it's like 99% or whatever, but it's hard to tell, because I'm no historian and don't have a good feeling for how much different regions of the world have interbred.

*the 0.5% cited on that wikipedia is for a particular gene signature that was probably on Genghis Khan's Y-chromosome. Many, many more people are descended from him, but didn't happen to inherit that particular set of genes.

If we go even further back, like a million years back, for example, then everyone is descended from like a few thousand apes in Africa, so we're all at least cousins to Charlemagne. And if we go way the gently caress further back, like four billion years, then everyone is just an imperfect clone of some single cell that existed somewhere around then, and there's an unbroken thread leading from that one cell, dividing, mutating, dividing, for billions of years, to make you. And all the threads from all living things on Earth lead back to that one cell. So our family tree includes Charlemagne, chimpanzees, rattlesnakes, oak trees, dog vomit slime molds, malaria, and even your mother.

So if you're descended from Charlemagne or Genghis Khan, shut the gently caress up about it. You're not special.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DontMockMySmock posted:

Some of y'all are skeptical about people claiming to be descended from Charlemagne or Genghis Khan? Y'all apparently don't know about exponential growth.

You have 2 parents. They each have 2 parents, for a total of 4 grandparents. Then 8 great-grandparents, and so on. n generations back = 2^n ancestors at that level. A generation is 20-30 years usually, give or take, so let's say 25 years. By that measure, Charlemagne is about 48 generations ago. Your number of ancestors at that level is 2^48, or 281 thousand billion people, which is more people than ever lived by a factor of like a thousand. So, obviously our assumptions break down somewhere. Once you get back more than 4-5 generations, it becomes pretty likely that there's some level of "inbreeding" (not really like incest or whatever since we're talking about like 3rd+ cousins and poo poo which is hardly related at all) in your family tree. But still, your number of ancestors grows ridiculously when you're looking back as far as someone like Charlemagne. Therefore it can't be surprising if one of those bajillion people that directly produced you is Charlemagne, or any other person.

Almost everyone who has western European blood in them is directly descended from Charlemagne. They're also probably descended from the night soil man who shoveled Charlemagne's poo poo (assuming that dude had kids). Similarly, almost anyone descended from people in the places Genghis Khan conquered (China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, etc.) is descended from Genghis Khan. And also plenty of people from outside those regions, too, because sometimes people move around. 0.5% is a really low estimate*, but I don't have a better one on hand unfortunately - my gut tells me it's like 99% or whatever, but it's hard to tell, because I'm no historian and don't have a good feeling for how much different regions of the world have interbred.

*the 0.5% cited on that wikipedia is for a particular gene signature that was probably on Genghis Khan's Y-chromosome. Many, many more people are descended from him, but didn't happen to inherit that particular set of genes.

If we go even further back, like a million years back, for example, then everyone is descended from like a few thousand apes in Africa, so we're all at least cousins to Charlemagne. And if we go way the gently caress further back, like four billion years, then everyone is just an imperfect clone of some single cell that existed somewhere around then, and there's an unbroken thread leading from that one cell, dividing, mutating, dividing, for billions of years, to make you. And all the threads from all living things on Earth lead back to that one cell. So our family tree includes Charlemagne, chimpanzees, rattlesnakes, oak trees, dog vomit slime molds, malaria, and even your mother.

So if you're descended from Charlemagne or Genghis Khan, shut the gently caress up about it. You're not special.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

LifeSunDeath posted:

I think it was on a minecraft forum. This is the only reference I can find to it now: https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Minecraft#Quatroking_himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MaliciousOnion posted:

I think it was on a minecraft forum. This is the only reference I can find to it now: https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Minecraft#Quatroking_himself

one look at the dude's face and it's apparent he was probably bragging about getting laid and didn't care that it was his cousin.