Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zat
Jan 16, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like the SEL is better than the KHL on the whole, is that accurate?

I believe there's certainly more parity in the SHL (at the moment at least, as the KHL is being dominated hard by 2 teams, SKA and CSKA), and the SHL's system of promotion/demotion might make it more exciting in other ways too, but the KHL definitely has much more talent in the top end.

By the way, the KHL playoffs start this Saturday, and I'm pretty hyped. Go Jokerit.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I feel like the SEL is better than the KHL on the whole, is that accurate?

No, the KHL is still the 2nd best league in the world. The SEL is a step above the AHL, but still a ways off the KHL.

https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/status/866477120360402944

NHLe isn't perfect and others have refined its methodology to show that the SEL is a bit closer to the KHL, but overall it's still very much the 3rd best league on earth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big 10 better than the CHL.

Yeah no that's 100% inaccurate.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Using point equivalency factors to determine which league is more talented is kind of dumb, though. All it measures is expected scoring rates.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah no that's 100% inaccurate.

the CHL is basically defense-optional hockey. The B1G got a boost from Notre Dame joining but yeah i don't know about putting them above some of those others

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The CHL also has 20 year olds lighting up 15-16 year olds. Which, to my mind, makes the ECAC having a worse translation really stand out.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
That just proves my theory that with a proper amount of practice time, the NCAA all-americans/top prospects could beat a whole bunch of AHL/foreign teams do not respond to this post

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

the CHL is basically defense-optional hockey. The B1G got a boost from Notre Dame joining but yeah i don't know about putting them above some of those others

There is absolutely no way that the Big 10 is closer in talent to Hockey East than the ECAC is to the Big 10

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

That just proves my theory that with a proper amount of practice time, the NCAA all-americans/top prospects could beat a whole bunch of AHL/foreign teams do not respond to this post

Ken Holland probably agrees

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ken Holland probably agrees

:thurman:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Carter Camper has an assist on all 5 Tucson goals so far, after being traded there for Future Considerations on Monday from Cleveland.

Good stuff.

e: Its going to get changed to 4 assists after a decision from the VP of the league.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 3, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lehigh valley was down 5-1 after 1 to Hershey.

It's now 6-6 :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phantoms score and it's 7-6. All the way back from being down 1-5

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/EdmOilKings/status/969754612667334656

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The WBS Pens road trip have arrived in Milwaukee for our final game of our western trip! And I'm stuck in an Urgent care with a scratched cornea. Not missing the game this afternoon, but this does kinda suck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/AHLPR/status/970652652223778816

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

In the only good Canucks news today: Elias Pettersson matched Peter Forsberg for the 2nd best U20 SEL season ever. He needs 7 points in his last 5 games to pass Kent Nilsson for 1st overall (admittedly in more games).

Of the top 10 best U20 SEL seasons aside from Pettersson, all but one of the individuals on it had a 100pt season in the NHL (Thomas Gradin who had the 10th best season and managed a mere 86pts at his peak).

Top Ten List

He broke the record today. Pettersson :kimchi:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ECHL/status/972114784916131840

hell yeah fish

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Holy hell, that's a lot of goalies.

https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/975489541242015744

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They're bringing back the Central Hockey League!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Who's excited for the WHL playoffs to kick-off tonight!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jokerit and CSKA are going to a 4th OT in the deciding game of the Gagarin Cup semis :stare:

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009

shyduck posted:

Jokerit and CSKA are going to a 4th OT in the deciding game of the Gagarin Cup semis :stare:

Phew, finally it ended, after 142:09 or something. Karri Ramo had 83 saves :stare:

AHAQQ fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 22, 2018

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

That Jokerit-CSKA game was something else. After 142 minutes, Jokerit wins, series is 3-2 CSKA, Game 6 will be in Helsinki.

And the schedule is insane. This was the 5th game in 7 days; they only take a single day off when they travel. Next game on Saturday.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

They're bringing back the Central Hockey League!

I can’t loving believe the whl live playoff prices

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
This OHL playoffs have started and, this may surprise you, but Kingston got smoked in game one.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Who are Jeremy Tufts and Connor O'Donnel and why are they the worst refs in the AHL?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

With Detroit dead, I would like to request the Grand Rapids Griffins also miss the AHL playoffs so Toledo can roll into the ECHL postseason with a full roster. Thx

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Junior players may not have the skill that pro players do but they make up for it with heart.
https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/978463117339344897

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
It is almost time for the top 3 SPHL teams to pick their first round playoff opponents. My hometown team is probably going to have to go up against by far the #1 seed, Peoria. Evansville the closest team to them by a bunch, and with the unbalanced schedule played them 13 times out of the 56 game season going 3-7-3 against them. Currently 6th, but if they win out over the last 4 games they might be as high as 4th, but that won't matter.

ps

gently caress the Jacksonville Icemen now and forever.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Welp, I just got back from watching my team coughing up the tying and winning goals less than 10 seconds apart. Fun times. :sigh:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I guess it’s harder for Yamamoto to score without McDavid

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Oh no. :ohdear:
https://twitter.com/CompleteHkyNews/status/982435113073037312

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This is absolutely awful. :(

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
that's eerily reminiscent of the swift current bus crash. same team name. same province. sad.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Details are still coming in, but a tweet from the head coach's sister confirms Darcy Haugan did not survive :smith:

https://twitter.com/DebbieJayneC/status/982477587497664513

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
If I remember correctly, teams usually take around 30 players and staff to a game.
Word has started to filter out in these parts, and it's beyond horrific.
At least 15 dead, including the head coach, another half that seriously injured and four or five who walked away with minor injuries.
It's all speculation at this point, but informed speculation coming from people who would know.
This is a 'where were you when' level disaster.
And for someone from Saskatchewan who has been to Humboldt many, many times, it is absolutely heart-wrenching and sickening.
People knew it was bad when information phone lines, crisis centers and churches were set up to help the families.
It became concretely bad when word got out that two STARS helicopters had been dispatched, at least 12 ambulances had been sent from communities in the area and that hospitals in Saskatoon had to divert people to a smaller facility because of the influx of emergency cases from the crash.
It's just astonishingly bad.

EDIT: Aaaand it's been confirmed by RCMP, 14 dead.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 7, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Facebook post from one of the doctors who treated the crash victims:

"Hassan McMasri posted:

Last night can only be described as the longest, worst and most tragic night of my career. The images can’t be unseen or forgotten, the stories can’t be unheard or ignored. Meeting each family and explaining the extent of each injury was nothing short of a painful exercise of cruelty. Families waiting for hours to identify their loved ones and smiling of joy at the idea of a significant injury as long as it meant that their loved one was alive brought chills to my spine.

I want to thank you few people and I know I will forget some. The performance during this code orange was nothing but phenomenal.

1- first and foremost: the nurses in the emergency department and in the ICU. Your tears made it easier for my tears to flow. Your passion, care and love is so admirable. I thank you for being the amazing humans that you are. You saved many lives and comforted 100s of other lives.

2- The physicians who came in from everywhere to help. Anesthesiologist, General surgeons, emergency department physicians, neurosurgeons, radiologists. You all put eveything aside including your own families and came and put your head down and got to work. You called in and insisted that we call you if we can use you.

3- The respiratory therapists who are often overlooked were the silent heroes as always.

4- the hospital organization and the Saskatchewan Health Authority for making sure that this horrible national tragedy was less painful than what it is already.

5- To the talented residents that stepped up to the challenge and helped beyond what is expected of them.

6- To the social workers who will be hurting silently today after hearing all those tragic stories.

7- Finally to my colleagues Bruce Cload and Jo Kawchuk for their support and help.

May this be my first and final Code Orange. Never want to see what I saw again.

What an honour to know that you all have helped save a large number of lives.

Thank you everyone and May those painful hours be followed by many hours and days of healing.

What a sad and horrible night.

#SaskatchewanStrong

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

basically everyone I know at every level of junior hockey is stunned by this, because the bus and long rides on it are part and parcel of playing at this level. we're all united behind them and it's been great to see the support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/982857960865935362
:unsmith:

• Locked thread