Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Splicer posted:

Did the pirate frequency get turned down post hotfix or did I suddenly git gud at borders? I started a new game and I've only had one pirate spawn in ~50 years.

Also, didn't spawn beside a marauder this time. Not being constantly hammered by pirates and raids is like playing a completely different game. I have minerals! I can build and upgrade starbases! I can build defence platforms even!

Pirates are weird. If you're pacifist you won't see any until you meet another empire since apparently you don't spawn any yourself. I'm not sure what's up with the lulls I had a good 50 years without pirates from 2300 to 2350 one game and didn't start seeing them until I was expanding again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How ya'll having wormholes show up on the map? I'm not getting lines on the galaxy view showing which hole goes where.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Unhappy Meal posted:

Pirates are weird. If you're pacifist you won't see any until you meet another empire since apparently you don't spawn any yourself. I'm not sure what's up with the lulls I had a good 50 years without pirates from 2300 to 2350 one game and didn't start seeing them until I was expanding again.

Pretty sure pacifists get pirates. I think I remember my recent life seeded/inward perfection build getting some. Admittedly it also got the stellarite devourer, crystal fuckers, and marauders, so that game was kind of cursed. You get "we should be better than this" as your confirm but they still show up.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Baronjutter posted:

How ya'll having wormholes show up on the map? I'm not getting lines on the galaxy view showing which hole goes where.

Once you get the tech for it, you can investigate it and it will tell you where it leads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eltoasto posted:

Once you get the tech for it, you can investigate it and it will tell you where it leads.

Weird, no map mode shows the lines though.

Also I have a bug where some alien refugees came to my empire while I was becoming cyborgs. They squeaked in just in time and became cyborgs them selves. Later more refugees came but when I set their citizenship to "assimilation" the two entirely separate entries in my species list both turn to "assimilation" citizen rights for a month then snap back to "full citizenship". I'm guessing the game still has these species linked and the already cyborg'd ones are flagged as "ready a cyborg, no more assimilation needed" and thinks the process is over. So I'm stuck with this big chunk of population who aren't even proper cyborgs and that's a bit disgusting, also a bug.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is the best way to deal with a Void Cloud early game when I have tier 1 weapons and have not seen any potential weapon upgrades until I just now started researching Space Torpedoes? I would really like it dead but I have lost a good 20 Corvettes trying to bumrush it and i never get it below 600 health.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is the best way to deal with a Void Cloud early game when I have tier 1 weapons and have not seen any potential weapon upgrades until I just now started researching Space Torpedoes? I would really like it dead but I have lost a good 20 Corvettes trying to bumrush it and i never get it below 600 health.

Missiles, void clouds are half shield and have very high shield regen, missiles bypass shields and do extra damage to hull. Nothing you use defence wise will help unless you get something that increases your base health.

Space torpedoes might actually be your best possible option because they have very high alpha strike damage and you might be able to wipe it out in the first volley.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm playing a generic Gestalt Consciousness machine empire. Midway through the game I picked up some Domination traditions, but the game still won't allow me to demand vassalization and the diplomacy screen shows "Domination Traditions" as the only unmet need.

Am I missing something here, or is the game just goofing off on me?

EDIT: while we're at it I've had some organic pops from an earlier conquest flagged as displaced undesirables for something like a century. I guess that -50% migration speed works on this one, too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I'm playing a generic Gestalt Consciousness machine empire. Midway through the game I picked up some Domination traditions, but the game still won't allow me to demand vassalization and the diplomacy screen shows "Domination Traditions" as the only unmet need.

Am I missing something here, or is the game just goofing off on me?

EDIT: while we're at it I've had some organic pops from an earlier conquest flagged as displaced undesirables for something like a century. I guess that -50% migration speed works on this one, too.

I think it's a bug where the robot-flavor domination traditions don't count as the actual regularly-named domination tradition.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Can anyone explain how the fleet manager reinforcement works? It tells me 1100 minerals to build 16 ships so I hit the button and then it takes 1100 minerals to build one or two ships.

Should I just be doing this manually? None of my ships cost nearly that much money yet, since I'm only making destroyers and corvettes.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone explain how the fleet manager reinforcement works? It tells me 1100 minerals to build 16 ships so I hit the button and then it takes 1100 minerals to build one or two ships.

Should I just be doing this manually? None of my ships cost nearly that much money yet, since I'm only making destroyers and corvettes.

There's two lines there, the first one says how many ships are missing and how many minerals you can spend right now to rebuild some of them. The second line tells you how many ships you can afford to rebuild right now and how many minerals it will cost (basically the same number as the first line). It is a litle misleading, you'd assume the first line wouldw have the total mineral cost for all the ships.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I think it's a bug where the robot-flavor domination traditions don't count as the actual regularly-named domination tradition.

That's a pretty big bug right there.

EDIT: and I decided to be a dummy and play on Ironman for pointless achievements, so I can't even use the console to give myself the tradition manually.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 1, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Nevets posted:

I really hope this was intentional. :v: I'm playing as Commonwealth of Man (Red) and just found UN of Earth (Blue) in 2340, literally right next door 11 jumps away from my home system. They've spent the entire game locked inside the Sol system by those raiders, I only finally found them because I put up a fortress with a listening post to stop the raiders.

We need a :hyperlanes: for things like this.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Weird, no map mode shows the lines though.

Also I have a bug where some alien refugees came to my empire while I was becoming cyborgs. They squeaked in just in time and became cyborgs them selves. Later more refugees came but when I set their citizenship to "assimilation" the two entirely separate entries in my species list both turn to "assimilation" citizen rights for a month then snap back to "full citizenship". I'm guessing the game still has these species linked and the already cyborg'd ones are flagged as "ready a cyborg, no more assimilation needed" and thinks the process is over. So I'm stuck with this big chunk of population who aren't even proper cyborgs and that's a bit disgusting, also a bug.

no, it's a bug linked to all uplifted and some primitive species; only the initial cyborg project can correctly assimilate them because it converts them all at once to new subrace, "SpeciesName Superior". refugees are often from such species and can thus be afflicted with the bug, but any pops from starting empires should assimilate correctly even if some of them became "SpeciesName Superior" and others didn't.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's unintentional, but the fleet manager has made me feel mineral bottlenecks so much more now. Before it, I'd build ships when I could, but now that I'm actually sitting down and designing my fleets ahead of time (and seeing how expensive they are), I find myself just staring at my mineral supply, waiting for it to tick up while I try to trade for minerals with my neighbors hoping I'll have enough to buy one more corvette for my slowly expanding 3rd fleet.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

God I'm so loving clever

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources even if you reduced the unrest.

Angry cows with lightsaber horns fighting boldly for the freedom of their people?

That sounds deliciously selfless.

Aw man, you need the Armageddon Expansion to play Fanatical Purifiers and Post Apocalyptic :(

I guess I will have to make a civ as these awesome Mantis Shrimp looking creatures instead :3:

Ah, no, Post-Apocalyptic is Apocalypse, but Fanatical Purifiers are Utopia.

(Get Utopia if it's on sale, it's real good.)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

God I'm so loving clever

really strikes me as more spiritualist than materialist

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources even if you reduced the unrest.

Slight correction to this:

The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources from unhappy pops. Even if you reduced unrest, they'd still be sad. Now it doesn't matter if the cows are sad, as long as they don't start strapping lightsabers to their horns.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Nevets posted:

There's two lines there, the first one says how many ships are missing and how many minerals you can spend right now to rebuild some of them. The second line tells you how many ships you can afford to rebuild right now and how many minerals it will cost (basically the same number as the first line). It is a litle misleading, you'd assume the first line wouldw have the total mineral cost for all the ships.

That's less misleading and just wrong. The first line should be the total regardless of how much money I have. Not one line saying 1100 gets me 18 ships and another line saying 1100 gets me 3.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

Missiles, void clouds are half shield and have very high shield regen, missiles bypass shields and do extra damage to hull. Nothing you use defence wise will help unless you get something that increases your base health.

Space torpedoes might actually be your best possible option because they have very high alpha strike damage and you might be able to wipe it out in the first volley.
You were right, it got annihilated immediately. Thank you for the insight!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

TGLT posted:

Pretty sure pacifists get pirates. I think I remember my recent life seeded/inward perfection build getting some. Admittedly it also got the stellarite devourer, crystal fuckers, and marauders, so that game was kind of cursed. You get "we should be better than this" as your confirm but they still show up.

Yeah, then that game was just really weird. Hit the age of piracy and then nothing for thirty years until I stumble into my closest neighbor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You were right, it got annihilated immediately. Thank you for the insight!

I really recommend looking at the details of space monsters and enemy ships, the static ones especially tend to have quite specific strengths and weaknesses.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm looking at this space monster and the only stats is has is a skull symbol.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

I really recommend looking at the details of space monsters and enemy ships, the static ones especially tend to have quite specific strengths and weaknesses.
I was looking at it's stats but I didn't know how to interpret them yet, so I've just been trying to roll with the punches.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

If there are any curators about, you can ask them how your fleets would fare against it, and you can also pay to get a damage bonus.

I think generally most leviathans are about 50k-ish?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Space monsters keep eating my science ships (well, two of them) and killing my immortal level 6 robot scientists. :argh:

One of them got whacked by a wandering blue wraith, and the other by some giant fiery spider creature that was eating a star... welp!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It just means it's extra spoooooky

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Some of the leviathans might actually not be accessible, but a lot of the smaller ones (and the dreadnought, at least) were made so with the patch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a giant space monster half stuck in a wormhole. I guess I should be glad it's not the other end that's stuck here?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Ah, the dimensional horror. Look into killing that one, you get to research what's left and get a big head start on Jump Drive.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The NSC mod does this, i believe, you can unlock better hull sections with more slots.

Not to be a dick, but which NSC mod? There are literally dozen and dozen of mods that go by that name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Not to be a dick, but which NSC mod? There are literally dozen and dozen of mods that go by that name.

New Ship Classes, any of the versions as far as I know would do it, they come with different loadouts but I'm pretty sure extra sections is a baseline feature.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If you sort your contacts' "relative power" does the order mean anything? Like is the first "equivalent" empire the strongest of the equivalents.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

New Ship Classes, any of the versions as far as I know would do it, they come with different loadouts but I'm pretty sure extra sections is a baseline feature.

Oh that mod, unfortunately the new sections for ships are an extremely minor feature of the mod and it focuses almost entirely on adding new classes of ships with their own separate types of ship sections, it also goes out of its way re-implement the old station system. Personally, I find it to be more annoying than helpful as the glut it adds to the game make it that much harder to manage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Staltran posted:

2.0 probably changed the Specter loadout anyway, and you can't view it ingame. From what I can tell from common/ship_sizes/11_guardians.txt and common/section_templates/guardians.txt, it has 20k hp, 10k armor, and no shields (I can confirm the no shields part from ingame). It makes sense too, since it spawns in a no-shield system. It appears to be armed with all large lasers, so you should use crystalline plating if you have that. Also it has 75% evasion. Make sure to counter that.

This is what I do as well, but... You don't actually need another scientist. You can just deselect a tech and let the production pool up, and assign the scientist in charge of the category to the science ship to explore. Then later do the same with another category, switch the original guy back in and let the pooled science be used. Not too much micro in the end, but really abusive.

Operation Stellar Fetus Abortion was a success :911:

Can't say I've ever killed a Leviathan by year 2246 before.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

If you sort your contacts' "relative power" does the order mean anything? Like is the first "equivalent" empire the strongest of the equivalents.

Yeah. If you hover over the "equivalent," it'll give you the breakdown in terms of fleet power, naval capacity and tech level. You can check and see that the top equivalent is probably superior in at least one category, while the lowest is likely inferior in something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Oh that mod, unfortunately the new sections for ships are an extremely minor feature of the mod and it focuses almost entirely on adding new classes of ships with their own separate types of ship sections, it also goes out of its way re-implement the old station system. Personally, I find it to be more annoying than helpful as the glut it adds to the game make it that much harder to manage.

Well yes it expands other stuff too, I generally used the light version with not much else included. Dunno what it's like with 2.0.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm like 95% sure it is, because any time I see an empire with one "Superior" section it's at the top, and those with one "Inferior" section are always at the bottom. They also juggle around as things happen; I've watched an empire losing a war slowly slide down the rankings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why is my fleet power sometimes red and sometimes yellow?