Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So ultimately, this has to end with them figuring something out based on what Barry was muttering in the first episode right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hatelull posted:

So ultimately, this has to end with them figuring something out based on what Barry was muttering in the first episode right?

Oh yeah, that much was a given. The key to defeating DeVoe is 100% hinged around whatever the hell THIS HOUSE IS BITCHIN really means.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

So I missed that part about the Cerebral Inhibitor failing, but they basically confirmed in this episode that either Savitar was just trolling them last year, or he was just so loving Barry Allen Stupid that he forgot that it actually didn't work, right?

This is where we came up with the inhibitor. I think it works? There was something about a stretchy guy too. idk I was in the speed force I wasn't really paying attention lol

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
That was unbelievable dreadful writing.

Barry can't get through a forcefield he literally just got through. Victim of the week can't use her powers without something she was previously perfectly able to use her powers without.

Even for a goofy superhero show that was real bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I had a revelation today. Flash and Arrow et al are this generation’s Hercules and Xena.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

I had a revelation today. Flash and Arrow et al are this generation’s Hercules and Xena.

Nah, if anything LoT is trying to be those. Except Hercules and Xena had much better writing.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

evenworse username posted:

Barry can't get through a forcefield he literally just got through. Victim of the week can't use her powers without something she was previously perfectly able to use her powers without.

Actually, he never got out of the forcefield on his own: he had to trick DeVoe the first time to get him to turn it off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

So I missed that part about the Cerebral Inhibitor failing, but they basically confirmed in this episode that either Savitar was just trolling them last year, or he was just so loving Barry Allen Stupid that he forgot that it actually didn't work, right?

Savitar revealed that they device called the Cerebral Inhibitor was used to beat DeVoe. He never said how. For all we know, Barry has to put it on, reverse the polarity and superspeed broadcast his thoughts into DeVoe's head.

Edit: And he has to run while doing it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

ApeHawk posted:

Actually, he never got out of the forcefield on his own: he had to trick DeVoe the first time to get him to turn it off.

But hadn't he just run through it moments ago to get to where Ralph was standing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

Savitar revealed that they device called the Cerebral Inhibitor was used to beat DeVoe. He never said how. For all we know, Barry has to put it on, reverse the polarity and superspeed broadcast his thoughts into DeVoe's head.

Edit: And he has to run while doing it.

Iris probably bludgeon's Devoe to death with the mark 1 model.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Since team flash is so cavalier about the metas getting killed, they should just pack the next one with high explosives on a non-digital timer

Anything to end this Devoe plotline

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

But hadn't he just run through it moments ago to get to where Ralph was standing?

We are never given the dimensions of the forcefield. He probably just ran around it to get to Ralph.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Girl, let it go.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The explanation they gave was something like "Savitar said that we used the cerebral inhibitor against Devoe, he didn't say that it worked"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
It's just not the correct page in the script for the antagonist to be finally defeated yet so we needed a dramatic reversal of fortune.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 1, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Devoe is basically a guy in an online game using tons of cheats and bragging about how awesome they are.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I was glad the girl with the hat died.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Everyone keeps talking about the cerebral inhibitor failing but man they've had power inhibitors for like a whole season or two. gently caress the cerebral inhibitor, slap Caitlin's ugly necklace from last season on Devoe then shoryuken him back into a wheelchair.

poo poo isn't Devoe's number one power his brain? Yeah get that necklace and loving leave him literally brain dead.

Frankly though, lol at anyone thinking Team Flash will have a hand in stopping Devoe when it's so clearly going to be his wife pulling a heel turn (or face turn I guess?) and stopping him. I mean here's your season finale: Devoe has his machine to save the world ready to go, he's got a tentacle coming got Ralph while both he and Barry look on helplessly (because he's got them trapped somehow) and he brags about how he'll save the world by killing millions (cue shocked reaction shots from everyone), until a shot rings out and Devoe's wife is dramatically revealed to have shot him in the back. Then they ask why she did it and she says "he wasn't my husband anymore". Then after a brief denouement we get to see the new baby West be born and then Barry and Iris's future-daughter reveals herself as a dramatic hook for next season.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, that much was a given. The key to defeating DeVoe is 100% hinged around whatever the hell THIS HOUSE IS BITCHIN really means.

I'm telling y'all it's gonna be what De Voe exclaims about his new "house" aka Barry's body (or possibly Barry's actual house, which he visits as Barry). Unlike everyone else, however, Barry's neurons, aka "soul", will still be alive because they're constantly outrunning the De Voe neurons chasing him inside his head. In the end he will defeat De Voe by simply thinking faster, possibly accompanied with an Eternal Sunshine-esque hold-on-to-your-memories sequence.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Argue posted:

I'm telling y'all it's gonna be what De Voe exclaims about his new "house" aka Barry's body (or possibly Barry's actual house, which he visits as Barry). Unlike everyone else, however, Barry's neurons, aka "soul", will still be alive because they're constantly outrunning the De Voe neurons chasing him inside his head. In the end he will defeat De Voe by simply thinking faster, possibly accompanied with an Eternal Sunshine-esque hold-on-to-your-memories sequence.
I think the first bit is wrong - it's clearly just a gag - but I think the last bit is right.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Devoe didn't even need his tech control powers to gently caress up the inhibitor he could have just reached up and pulled it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed this episode up until the end. Like I laughed really hard at Ralph making fun of the hallway pep talks but then just straight up murdering the new character was crappy. Everything with Izzy felt really compressed, it should have been at least a couple of episode arc instead of everything happening on the day after meeting her.

Also, how stupid do Barry and Ralph think people are? Showing up talking to Izzy in civilian clothes and then two guys who look exactly the same show up dressed in costumes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

Also, how stupid do Barry and Ralph think people are? Showing up talking to Izzy in civilian clothes and then two guys who look exactly the same show up dressed in costumes.

superheroes.txt

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well we've long since established that Barry has no idea what the concept of "secret identity" means and it sorta makes sense that Ralph has no regard at all for a secret identity seeing as how he's seemingly invulnerable and has no friends.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beens posted:

Devoe didn't even need his tech control powers to gently caress up the inhibitor he could have just reached up and pulled it off.

I'm sure that if the inhibitor worked as intended there was some sci-fi bullshit about how it would never come off. It's far from the least believable thing on the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I enjoyed this episode up until the end. Like I laughed really hard at Ralph making fun of the hallway pep talks but then just straight up murdering the new character was crappy. Everything with Izzy felt really compressed, it should have been at least a couple of episode arc instead of everything happening on the day after meeting her.

Black Lightning suffers from the same problem. Jeff shows up somewhere and threatens a guy in his civvies, that doesn't work, so he comes back like 20 minutes later as Black Lightning and shocks the poo poo out of the dude, and nobody realizes it's him because he puts a pair of big sunglasses on and fucks with his voice a bit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

Black Lightning suffers from the same problem. Jeff shows up somewhere and threatens a guy in his civvies, that doesn't work, so he comes back like 20 minutes later as Black Lightning and shocks the poo poo out of the dude, and nobody realizes it's him because he puts a pair of big sunglasses on and fucks with his voice a bit.

They call this out, though. Apparently he does something that makes his face literally hard to look at, like looking at the sun or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

They call this out, though. Apparently he does something that makes his face literally hard to look at, like looking at the sun or something.

It's his terrible suit. Everyone is busy looking at that. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think that was actually referenced in some comic book. "Everyone's too busy staring at my chest to see through this mask".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

He also makes the lights flicker as he steps into the room and generally comes off as intimidating and ready to gently caress poo poo up whereas Jefferson is basically normal. I imagine people are worried about not getting the poo poo kicked or zapped out of them to really get a good look

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

I think that was actually referenced in some comic book. "Everyone's too busy staring at my chest to see through this mask".

I think they've used that for multiple superheroes. Like Batman saying his suit's armor is thicker near the bat-symbol or Superman saying the S draws people's eyes so they don't focus on his face and then put two and two together and figure out he's Clark Kent. But especially to explain how a domino mask is ever supposed to work.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
"I've seen you naked [Hal]! You don't think I could recognize you because I can't see your cheekbones!?" is a good line in spite of the rest of the film

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh of course Devoe likes classical music, because he's a super smart guy, and they all just like classical.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

Oh of course Devoe likes classical music, because he's a super smart guy, and they all just like classical.

Cause it's objectively superior :colbert:

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Savitar: "This is where we came up with the cerebral inhibitor to use against DeVoe..."

About eight or so weeks from now:

Harry, holding a steak knife in the air in front of Team Flash in that same room, "Hey guys! I just realized that if we're in close enough range to slap that dumb techno-thing on DeVoe's head that totally didn't work, we could just stab him/her in the brain instead. I'm calling this steak knife 'The Cerebral Inhibitor.'"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

They don't gotta pay any money for public domain music :flashfact:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That stupid, apparently, since when they do the "reveal" she's genuinely surprised.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

:argh:"Barry we have to get her out of there"
:flashfap:"I've tried literally nothing! We can't!"
:argh:"Seriously Barry she is about to die and refuses to use her powers for some reason! We have to get her out of there!"
:flashfap:"We can't! Don't remind her about her training or tell her to use her powers!"
:argh:"Try phasing through the forcefield, coming at it from above, coming at it from below, testing it's strength or getting Cisco to breach inside it!"
:flashfap:"I told you I've tried nothing! She's gone Ralph!"
:argh:"Hey weren't you laying right next to Devoe? You just ran right past her to come over here to tell me we have to do nothing and let her die"
:flashfap: "We will get Devoe, I promise."
:argh: "She is still alive do something"
:flashfap: "I told you we don't have time to do anything. Devoe wins this round."

Bonus points for Devoe proudly proclaiming he is Killgore, for everyone to hear, before the inhibitor turned purple and exploded and all of the super geniuses not expecting this or even understanding what happened. Who knew using technology on the guy who controls technology wouldn't work. If only we knew what went wrong. We've got 8-9 episodes left to figure this conundrum out and technobabble some poo poo up about hacking binary DNA or whatever the gently caress.

What ever happened to those silly screen cap synopses from last season, those were the best.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Azhais posted:

Cause it's objectively superior :colbert:

Metal is objectively superior :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

I think they've used that for multiple superheroes. Like Batman saying his suit's armor is thicker near the bat-symbol or Superman saying the S draws people's eyes so they don't focus on his face and then put two and two together and figure out he's Clark Kent. But especially to explain how a domino mask is ever supposed to work.

The one I'm thinking of was some superheroine using it to lampshade her ample clevage, but that hardly narrows it down.