Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i watched the Stanford lectures and did the homework and labs. Jonathan shewchuck or something similar is the lecturers name. recorded lectures on YouTube and freely accessable homework from a real school
yeah this guy’s lectures are real good, idk if they’re so easy to find anymore since berkeley (not standford) took them down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Oh yeah definitely Pollyanna of all people should go into a job mentally prepared to leave, that will absolutely work out really well for their notably flaky rear end

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

1a. startups arent very stable and therefore i am worried about having to look for work again soon
2a. startups are known for having crappy work-life balance and this one seems dodgy in that sense

Stop saying poo poo like this, it's a ridiculous generalization and completely meaningless. Evaluate *specific* attributes of actual jobs

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Stop saying poo poo like this, it's a ridiculous generalization and completely meaningless. Evaluate *specific* attributes of actual jobs

ok lemme rephrase those

1a. the product is not critical to any individual or business's quality of life and they have a runway of 6 mo and that (probably irrationally) worries me due to preconceived notions of startup health and lifecycles
2a. a couple red flags related to work-life balance came up and i am worried about potential burnout

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I quit my game dev programming job 2 weeks ago. I was so stressed out and angry at life and project managers and the game dev industry and my own pigeonhole that it was affecting my mental health. I started angrily attacking my irl friends due to stress and frustration. It was bad.

After these two weeks of vacation, I feel a million times better and like my usual chill, game-loving, computer nerd self again.

The job itself wasn't too bad - it just had the standard tech industry management problems that literally every game company I've worked for has had (4 total). I can tolerate these issues.

I had to leave because my unusual and extreme health issues made it too difficult to physically sit at the office for ~8 hours a day. All I need are:
1) warm room without A/C blowing directly on me
2) frequent, hot food nearby (real food, not snacks. fresh. high calorie.)
3) a very low desk that doesn't cause my shoulders to cramp up while typing
4) quiet, relaxed environment that allows deep concentration

I get food-desperation multiple times a day. When it happens, I have to eat. Immediately. This is easy to manage if my boss allows me to leave the office and get food at 3 pm in the afternoon every day (I have lunch around 10:30am). But no managers like this arrangement. They let me do it because I get my work done super fast, and I get things done before the milestone is due. But they still glare and make snide comments.

Literally every boss I've worked for has given me near-perfect review scores and complimented my work quality and dedication. The only negative comment I've received was at the most recent job that didn't like how often I was away from my desk. I was away from my desk because I was driving to the nearest healthy restaurant. Apparently providing individualized comfortable work environments is simply too much to ask from tech employers. I discussed the issues with my former bosses, and those conversations went nowhere. Their responses were humiliating, frankly.

I don't know why I'm typing my shame into this public forum.

My new plan is to look for remote programming work exclusively. At home I have my ideal comfort zone, and I can manage my diet and sudden mood swings easily. First, I'll look for remote game programming work. I expect there will be slim pickings. If I don't find a good match in a couple months, then I'll look for non-game remote programming work. If that doesn't pan out then I'll look into remote contract work.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jesus just work at a financial institution or something. they pay well and you get to have this thing work / life

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you can come work for me, i don't give a poo poo if you go get an afternoon snack, like everyone on my team does that it is perfectly normal. i don't do game dev tho sorry

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i honestly don't even care whether you come to work as long as the poo poo we agreed you will get done gets done. well i guess you should attend any mandatory meetings on your calendar

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah i’m probably also going to end up on the remote job hunt even though i’d prefer a physical office. moving to a place where the local jobs pay peanuts, :rip: me.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

the hell is food desperation?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i honestly don't even care whether you come to work as long as the poo poo we agreed you will get done gets done. well i guess you should attend any mandatory meetings on your calendar

*sits in 30 minute meeting that takes 90 minutes and never says a word*

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

the hell is food desperation?

side effect of eating disorder, anxiety, adhd, mania, anorexia, i dunno. doctors dunno either.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ator posted:

side effect of eating disorder, anxiety, adhd, mania, anorexia, i dunno. doctors dunno either.

do you have adhd? i have adhd and i get something like that often when im not on my meds

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

in my completely uneducated reckoning it might be an executive function fuckup

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Burn all employers imho

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpNAPsqsxFE

all aboard the fat stacks train

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ator posted:

Literally every boss I've worked for has given me near-perfect review scores and complimented my work quality and dedication. The only negative comment I've received was at the most recent job that didn't like how often I was away from my desk.

this is a weird conclusion that I got in recent years: it seems like a lot of bosses don't even really care about you being productive. they just want to have you around to feel good about themselves.

like look at this room! full of educated people working for me! so cool!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

up against the wall

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Serfdom as a Service

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just started to use the accelerated playback feature of YouTube, works wonders for these slow speakers.

More than 6.5 figgies appears to be generating a messiah complex at Google.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

his takeaway at the end of this is actually surprisingly clairvoyant

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

is it? if the corporate thread is to be believed management never falls but watch each other’s back

executives never fail

middle management and team leads get thrown under the bus all the time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ator posted:

I quit my game dev programming job 2 weeks ago. I was so stressed out and angry at life and project managers and the game dev industry and my own pigeonhole that it was affecting my mental health. I started angrily attacking my irl friends due to stress and frustration. It was bad.

After these two weeks of vacation, I feel a million times better and like my usual chill, game-loving, computer nerd self again.

The job itself wasn't too bad - it just had the standard tech industry management problems that literally every game company I've worked for has had (4 total). I can tolerate these issues.

I had to leave because my unusual and extreme health issues made it too difficult to physically sit at the office for ~8 hours a day. All I need are:

I get food-desperation multiple times a day. When it happens, I have to eat. Immediately. This is easy to manage if my boss allows me to leave the office and get food at 3 pm in the afternoon every day (I have lunch around 10:30am). But no managers like this arrangement. They let me do it because I get my work done super fast, and I get things done before the milestone is due. But they still glare and make snide comments.

Literally every boss I've worked for has given me near-perfect review scores and complimented my work quality and dedication. The only negative comment I've received was at the most recent job that didn't like how often I was away from my desk. I was away from my desk because I was driving to the nearest healthy restaurant. Apparently providing individualized comfortable work environments is simply too much to ask from tech employers. I discussed the issues with my former bosses, and those conversations went nowhere. Their responses were humiliating, frankly.

My new plan is to look for remote programming work exclusively. At home I have my ideal comfort zone, and I can manage my diet and sudden mood swings easily. First, I'll look for remote game programming work. I expect there will be slim pickings. If I don't find a good match in a couple months, then I'll look for non-game remote programming work. If that doesn't pan out then I'll look into remote contract work.

lol at this gross nerd

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you can never find a company that does things correctly, it's you, you're the problem.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
gently caress you

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at this gross nerd

gently caress you

qhat posted:

If you can never find a company that does things correctly, it's you, you're the problem.

gently caress you too buddy

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
godspeed to you Ator. i hope you can get a chillaxed environment away from gamedev (or at least abusive shops)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

godspeed to you Ator. i hope you can get a chillaxed environment away from gamedev (or at least abusive shops)

he is never going to find an environment that gives him a knee height desk, a swamp atmosphere, and a twice-hourly arby's drivethrough run

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Thank you so much for this :cheers:

Even in NYC, most of my developer friends don't believe that this is happening. And yes, we don't know anyone working in Finance

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he is never going to find an environment that gives him a knee height desk, a swamp atmosphere, and a twice-hourly arby's drivethrough run

so? that means it’s ok to make fun of people with medical conditions??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

so? that means it’s ok to make fun of people with medical conditions??

why he can’t have a case of canned soup or something in his cubicle

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ator posted:

i wish you luck

if the food thing is a genuine medical diagnosis, your employer is probably violating the ADA and you should be throwing around scare words like "reasonable accommodation"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
without knowing their exact condition please refrain from being dicks

medical conditions can be weird as gently caress. at least this person went to the doctors.

two months ago if you told me there was a condition where a person will pluck their head bald including their eyebrows i wouldn’t believe you, but i’ve seen it as with my own eyes (it was a young lady too :( ).

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

without knowing their exact condition please refrain from being dicks

medical conditions can be weird as gently caress. at least this person went to the doctors.

two months ago if you told me there was a condition where a person will pluck their head bald including their eyebrows i wouldn’t believe you, but i’ve seen it as with my own eyes (it was a young lady too :( ).

there is a version of it where the patient is also compelled to eat the plucked hair.

on topic: lol at Headhunters wanting a RL meeting without their client first. who has time for that?!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

his takeaway at the end of this is actually surprisingly clairvoyant

yeah, i was thinking this sounds great, then he hits out with

"there is no retirement here. Im going to have to work until i die to pay for healthcare for me and my family"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I sent an email asking about my job application because I'm a little birch

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

first day at robotics startup trip report:
hoo boy they got all the cool maker toys everywhere and all the projects sound super useful
the coffee is good
the central source code repository seems to consist of a file server with people's folders in it that contain repos for different projects and the backups policy seems to be that everyone has their own external hard drive*
the people are nice

* i think this is actually fine because so far the focus has been so hard on building robots, not writing software; but i do think this is something that needs to change unless they want to lose crucial data because of someone's drive failing or backup being corrupted/out of date/not there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

interview day wish me luck

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Penisface posted:

first day at robotics startup trip report:
hoo boy they got all the cool maker toys everywhere and all the projects sound super useful
the coffee is good
the central source code repository seems to consist of a file server with people's folders in it that contain repos for different projects and the backups policy seems to be that everyone has their own external hard drive*
the people are nice

* i think this is actually fine because so far the focus has been so hard on building robots, not writing software; but i do think this is something that needs to change unless they want to lose crucial data because of someone's drive failing or backup being corrupted/out of date/not there

Is the central fileserver not backed up/redundant?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

Is the central fileserver not backed up/redundant?

i sure as hell hope it is, but why the personal backup drives then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Penisface posted:

i sure as hell hope it is, but why the personal backup drives then?

hardware seems to be behind software in this respect

it sounds a lot like other hardware startups I’ve heard of