Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That scene reminded me of something, took me a while to figure it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5WWqEXMix0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

and version 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUCB8VlTaTA

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

man i really wish that episode focused entirely on the author and that moment, or at least eased into the tonal whiplash better

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Ccs posted:

what was so great about the light novel that it won awards and got such a fast adaption?

Do you mean the novel published by Kyoto Animation? That won the grand prize in the novel category of the Kyoto Animation awards?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strong backstory episode. In spite of myself I actually found myself quite liking Gilbert's and Violet's dynamic in the flashback. I was worried that they would play it romantically, and Violet probably indeed felt that way about him, but Gil himself came across as a rather compelling "self-loathing and well-meaning but fundamentally lovely parent in a bad situation" sort of character.

He'd drat well better actually be dead though, story's making me nervous with its careful observation that they never found the body.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

shrodinger's major

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Far too many of these army guys seem to be okay with teaching a shellshocked but surprisingly athletic child how to murder good and then sending her to the front lines. It makes me wonder what else they were up to that that barely registers as "a bit off" to many of them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

There's probably like a whole division of war orphans they use as disposable tools, after all they're orphans so no-one will miss them. See also: IBO.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's weird unless when they first found her she killed some of their dudes, which seems plausible.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Given that she doesn't even seem to know how to speak until Gilbert teaches her, I'd be surprised if the army hasn't had her almost since infancy.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't believe I want a war film by Kyoani now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

There's probably like a whole division of war orphans they use as disposable tools, after all they're orphans so no-one will miss them. See also: IBO.

On IBO, though, child soldiers are the only way to get top grade murder cyborgs on a budget, turning shock troops into veterans with nothing but one back alley surgery. Here, there's no free bonus for using orphans, which makes it odder.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm not familiar with the source material (or the material that inspired the show, I suppose I should say) but there's gotta be some strange things going on. I would be a little disappointed if the only explanation for a child soldier being so skilled, or why she got replacement limbs that seem out of place given the technology we've seen so far, was "lol anime".

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I'm not familiar with the source material either, so this may be completely off base, but... what if she isn't human? Or at least not fully human.

At first she was referred to as a weapon. What if that was quite literal, and she's some sort of manufactured being? Or cloned replicant or human-shaped cyborg (even before she got replacement arms). What's-his-face said he found her on a battlefield... perhaps she was made by the enemy?

It would explain several things. All the soldiers didn't treat her like an orphan girl because she isn't one. The orders that forced the Major to take Violet with him into war, which required special permission, were about taking a child to war, but an enemy weapon. Plus, I can believe a lot better that those replacement arms could be fitted to some kind of an artificial being, rather than to a human; apparently they can't replace the artificial skin.

Although frankly it may not matter either way, to tell the story being told. I've just been wondering throughout the whole show if Violet is human or not, and I still can't tell one way or the other. Perhaps I missed something that settled the question.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I haven't read the source material either, but it sounds like KyoAni is largely doing their own thing with the anime anyway.

If she was a product of the one side or the other, based on what's been shown so far I would expect it to be something along the lines of some hilariously unethical program of experimentation on war orphans in an attempt to create some kind of super-soldier that either backfired or had its program terminated for whatever reason (we saw how... feral Violet was initially, that may have had something to do with it). I doubt the show will really get into that much more than it has, though.

In any case, I don't see any reason to question her underlying humanity.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I think the story is meant for us to question humanity in general. Having Violet with her distinct mechanical hands that have not been shown anywhere else in the show's universe, end up as not-human after all, would feel really lame and even contradictory to the themes they've been setting up so far.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I seriously doubt they're going with 'is a clone' / 'bio-engineered life form'. The higher up dickheads treat her as an object because she's a feral orphan who had to fight to survive and they have no empathy, seeing only someone they can train as a disposable weapon with no ties to family or friends, because they are desperate to win the war at any cost. Gilbert's probably the only non-sociopath from his family, seeing her for who she is and wanting to take care of her but being forced to continue her training and missions by top brass.

I hope they don't pull a 'Gilbert is actually alive after all these years and was just pretending to be dead' scenario because the dude took a headshot and had a cathedral land on him. Only vague possibility would be if there were some enemy troops still there who found him alive and dragged him off to be interrogated but that's absurd too given the number of reinforcements turning up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I fell a little behind, but Eps 7 and 8 were both good back to back.

I think its fine if Violet is just naturally good at killing, especially when the whole point of her arc is that being a murdergirl was actually bad and something she needs to recover from.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I've seen way too much anime to bat an eye at a 12 year old being a murder machine for no extraordinary reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, I'd honestly be happy if they just leave it at "Her family got blown the gently caress up when she was super young and she had to do some loving poo poo to survive as long as she did." That's really about as grounded and serious an explanation as you could really get, anything more flamboyant would feel a little tonally out of step with what we're going for with the rest of the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Another strong episode, show's really gone on a nice run the last few weeks IMO

Although I'm not at all sure where the hell we go from here? The story so far's felt like Violet's journey towards coming to terms with the major's death and her own worth as person, and that promise basically feels fulfilled right here, and yet IIRC we've still got 4 episodes and an OVA to go.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I was expecting the series to have a longer middle.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Yeah, how was that not the season finale? And it was very dusty in my living room...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Someone's been cutting onions again...

Agree that it felt like a finale, I don't know where they're going to go from that. Kind of like Kuromukuro (which also felt like the show ended and then they had a couple more episodes).

I guess they could start showing her being happy with her friends now she's getting over her grief? Someone give the girl a hug already!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

was that not last ep? everything about it said last ep

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I felt like it was the last episode as well and also had a mysterious phantom onion nearby (someone should look into that) but looking back on it I suspect the thing with the anti-peace league attacking that town is probably going to lead to something. Maybe the army tries to recruit her again and she gets to finally move past being a weapon of war and tell them to gently caress off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I felt like it was the last episode as well and also had a mysterious phantom onion nearby (someone should look into that) but looking back on it I suspect the thing with the anti-peace league attacking that town is probably going to lead to something. Maybe the army tries to recruit her again and she gets to finally move past being a weapon of war and tell them to gently caress off.

Could also be there being a sequence where Violet has to write a letter that will stave off a war. It'd be pretty cheesy but that's been the show's MO so far, for good and ill.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think there's still places to take this- like Violet had a big breakthrough this episode but she still hasn't quite moved on yet and still needs to gain a degree of independence. Even at the end of this episode it was still an analogue for the Major she was was seeking absolution from, when really she needs to be able to forgive herself.

Agreed about the drat onions.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This show is getting better and better. It's schmaltzy and I like it. The mix of drama and beautiful mundanity works really well. The town is absolutely gorgeous and the footwear is amazing.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

to be honest i could have done without any music in the middle portion of the episode since that really ruined the emotional weight of it all

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I binged watched this show today after seeing some random gifs of well animated robot hands, and god drat but there's been a lot of indoor rainfall today.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Futaba Anzu posted:

to be honest i could have done without any music in the middle portion of the episode since that really ruined the emotional weight of it all

This part drew out barrels of laughter from me. The music did not help at all, I had to check it wasn't something else playing audio on my PC.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
fully expected violet to overhear the conversation at the roadblock and go off in a murderous rampage hunting down insurgents but I'm glad that didn't happen. I had to check multiple sources to make sure this wasn't the finale but I'm tentatively happy that we're getting more

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

fully expected violet to overhear the conversation at the roadblock and go off in a murderous rampage hunting down insurgents but I'm glad that didn't happen. I had to check multiple sources to make sure this wasn't the finale but I'm tentatively happy that we're getting more

it almost happened that's why she saw her own spooky ghost out the window

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gotta admit, I laughed when her arms fell, both times. Like she's some sort of lego person and they just pop off the joints. Also, pretty high-calibre rifle for it to do that. I mostly like this show but it's just melodrama all the way down.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, Violet was a tiny ~12 year old at the time.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mordja posted:

Gotta admit, I laughed when her arms fell, both times. Like she's some sort of lego person and they just pop off the joints. Also, pretty high-calibre rifle for it to do that. I mostly like this show but it's just melodrama all the way down.

Yeah, the rifle shooting off her arm was pretty dumb, the grenade is a bit more understandable due to sharp shrapnel I guess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Granted it would have made more sense if they were just too badly mutilated to save but then they would have had to do the awkward TV censorship thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sindai posted:

Granted it would have made more sense if they were just too badly mutilated to save but then they would have had to do the awkward TV censorship thing.

They could have just been shot up so badly her nerves were damaged and she couldn't move them, requiring later amputation and prosthetics. Wouldn't require much visible mutilation, just an 'I can't feel my arms' exclamation.

• Locked thread