Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Alrighty. That last roll filled Tikorn's xp - when/how would you like him to go about improving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sorry for being a bit slow, I'm finding myself stuck on the forks of deciding between loving up House Entremar's program and continuing my hunt for the other Thunders.

I'm sort of trying to get a feel for how easy it would be to topple the House. Is this a case where if Garillo was out of the picture, the whole thing would fall apart, or is this a more robust kingdom?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alehkhs posted:

Alrighty. That last roll filled Tikorn's xp - when/how would you like him to go about improving?

Mark an advance, and when we move to the next session (probably fairly soon) you can trade those in for advancements.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sorry for being a bit slow, I'm finding myself stuck on the forks of deciding between loving up House Entremar's program and continuing my hunt for the other Thunders.

I'm sort of trying to get a feel for how easy it would be to topple the House. Is this a case where if Garillo was out of the picture, the whole thing would fall apart, or is this a more robust kingdom?

From what you can tell, Garillo rules the place with an iron fist. If he were to be killed or otherwise deposed, House Entremar wouldn't collapse overnight but would definitely descend into something approaching civil war for a bit while the lesser nobles jostled for power.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh also @Alehkhs: the 12+ options for the basic moves are only available if you have advanced them, and seeing as this is just the first session, you have not. It works fine in the fiction here so no harm no foul, but just wanted to let you know for future rolls :)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

quiggy posted:

Oh also @Alehkhs: the 12+ options for the basic moves are only available if you have advanced them, and seeing as this is just the first session, you have not. It works fine in the fiction here so no harm no foul, but just wanted to let you know for future rolls :)

Ah. I guess we'll see where it all goes then!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alehkhs posted:

Ah. I guess we'll see where it all goes then!

Yup yup! A 12 is still a very good roll though, so it's not like I'm gonna dick you over here

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Also, I keep assuming that I woke up without my gear. Is that correct? Trying to figure out armor and weapons.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alehkhs posted:

Also, I keep assuming that I woke up without my gear. Is that correct? Trying to figure out armor and weapons.

Let's say your armor is set aside and available, but your weapons are missing.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

quiggy posted:

Let's say your armor is set aside and available, but your weapons are missing.

Alrighty. Did this witch actually do anything for my wounds, or am I still at 3 Harm?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alehkhs posted:

Alrighty. Did this witch actually do anything for my wounds, or am I still at 3 Harm?

Working on a post right now, I'll answer this in-fiction :)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I assume the sword with the eye hilt is a typical sword, deadly: in the yard?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LogicNinja posted:

I assume the sword with the eye hilt is a typical sword, deadly: in the yard?

Correct.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Milkshake, deadly: all the boys in the yard

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Comrade Gorbash posted:

:laffo:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

If you want to be taught, roll+keep spent (maximum +3).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey Sax Battler are you planning on coming back or should I transition Albrecht to an NPC and look for a replacement player for the next session?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Hey, I've been away from any pc for like a week and just got back.
I'm writing up something to post when I've slept.

Sorry.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey Sax, since you posted that two days ago there's been no follow-up, so I'm temporarily writing Albrecht out of the story. He's still alive and somewhere if you want to rejoin (see Xie's part of my latest in-game post for info on what's happened), but I can't have the head of a major settlement where other characters are located be totally MIA. I kinda feel like a douche for this so I do ask your apologies, and I promise the game is still here for you if you want to rejoin, but for right now I want to continue the story. If you wanna recommit when the next session starts, let me know and I'll write you back in when the time comes (probably not too terribly long from now).

Sorry about this :/

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Vincent posted an FE update to his Patreon. Makes some pretty substantial changes to conflict.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Vincent posted an FE update to his Patreon. Makes some pretty substantial changes to conflict.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get my head around those.

And the changes don't stop there!

quiggy, when you get a chance, take a look at the changes to Child of Battle. Ice Cold has been changed to be more in line with how the AW Battlebabe works; it more or less makes it equivalent to Sword Master's "hard for cool" move, with some pretty broad wording ("when you attack or threaten...").

A few questions:
-Are there any mores that I'd still be rolling +hard for? If so, which ones? Does "fighting" include stuff like commanding war-bands?
-Since hard has basically been obsoleted by this change, is it cool if I pick a different stat line? My whole reason for investing in hard was to reflect combat ability, and that's sort of subsumed by Ice Cold now. (It's not a big change, so no big deal.)
-Likewise, should I highlight a different stat due to the changes to Ice Cold making hard pretty obsolete for me?
-Should I restat my weapons to reflect the changes made in this version, or keep what we've got?

Basically, I don't know whether you want to roll with the updates or use the version that was out when we started. I'm good either way.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, I saw the update get posted. All I really looked at was the two new playbooks, and didn't even take a look at the basic moves until now. That's, uh, a lot.

For right now I'm gonna say we should stick with the version that we've been using. If you guys want to, we can update versions between sessions, and if Sax Battler decides not to come back and I try to find a new fifth, I'll also open up the Necromancer playbook. The Archwizard on the other hand, while extremely cool, is hilariously overpowered and not really tonally appropriate for the game we've got going.

Also apologies for being a little slow on the MC posting this week, been having some minor health problems. They seem resolved now so I should have a post up in a few hours :)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

quiggy posted:

Yeah, I saw the update get posted. All I really looked at was the two new playbooks, and didn't even take a look at the basic moves until now. That's, uh, a lot.

For right now I'm gonna say we should stick with the version that we've been using. If you guys want to, we can update versions between sessions, and if Sax Battler decides not to come back and I try to find a new fifth, I'll also open up the Necromancer playbook. The Archwizard on the other hand, while extremely cool, is hilariously overpowered and not really tonally appropriate for the game we've got going.

Also apologies for being a little slow on the MC posting this week, been having some minor health problems. They seem resolved now so I should have a post up in a few hours :)
No worries, been busy getting up to speed at a new job this week. Sticking with the current for the next session makes sense for me, gives us a chance to digest the update (and for Vincent to catch/post errors before we jump in). Either way I 100% agree on the Archwizard.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of the new battle moves. I do like how they play into the narrative of the new Swordmaster move (puts them on equal footing against an armed and armored opponent even when they themselves are not armed or armored) and it gives FE a more distinct feel. It seems a little clunky on first look though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

No worries, been busy getting up to speed at a new job this week. Sticking with the current for the next session makes sense for me, gives us a chance to digest the update (and for Vincent to catch/post errors before we jump in). Either way I 100% agree on the Archwizard.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of the new battle moves. I do like how they play into the narrative of the new Swordmaster move (puts them on equal footing against an armed and armored opponent even when they themselves are not armed or armored) and it gives FE a more distinct feel. It seems a little clunky on first look though.

Between health problems, work, and Into the Breach launching this week I haven't really had a chance to sit down and digest the new battle moves. I do like that Vincent is at least trying to do something different from the AW2e rules, though.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

quiggy posted:

Between health problems, work, and Into the Breach launching this week I haven't really had a chance to sit down and digest the new battle moves. I do like that Vincent is at least trying to do something different from the AW2e rules, though.
Into the Breach is so good, I've just barely scratched the surface of that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm reasonably certain the guys at Subset have been watching me for the past few years and developed a game perfectly suited to absolutely destroy my social life.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I too am enjoying Into The Breach.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm a bit stuck on deciding what to do. I think it may be I'm a little unclear on the lay of the land here.

Ultimately I want to get out with Ena in tow, so busting my way through the guards seems like a bad plan for that. Which means either I need to find another spot I could get her through, even if it's not ideal, and/or figure out what the guards are up to since that might help me find a way out or warn me of a threat I'll have to navigate once I am out.

But I'm not quite sure how to go about doing either of those things from the current point.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm a bit stuck on deciding what to do. I think it may be I'm a little unclear on the lay of the land here.

Ultimately I want to get out with Ena in tow, so busting my way through the guards seems like a bad plan for that. Which means either I need to find another spot I could get her through, even if it's not ideal, and/or figure out what the guards are up to since that might help me find a way out or warn me of a threat I'll have to navigate once I am out.

But I'm not quite sure how to go about doing either of those things from the current point.

I might not have been generous enough with the answers from your 10, so let's work through this :) The way I see it, you ultimately have four general categories of actions you could take (I might be missing something, though). One, you can draw your weapon and charge headfirst towards the guards and try to fight your way through. Two, you can try to figure out why exactly the guard patrols have increased tonight, and see if there's some way you can use that information to provide a strategic edge. Three, you can back off and try to find another route out of the city, and four, you can give up on the escape entirely, return to your room, and wait for morning.

If you decide to either fight through or to give up, then to do it. You have the necessary information to take those two options already. If you decide to find another route, then you can decide on a way that you’d find that. Maybe Ena knows, or maybe you can find a group of smugglers who know the city’s secrets, or you can make something else up (this is Apocalypse World, after all!) And lastly what’s probably the hardest option is figuring out why the guard patrols have increased, but there’s clearly a number of characters who know the reason why: namely, the guards themselves, and also whoever is in charge of the city watch.

I hope that gives you some ideas? I can also try and elaborate on what exactly you’re seeing if that helps, but I’m trying to keep things relatively freeform in general.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Thanks, that's just what I needed.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Thanks, that's just what I needed.

Rad. I would definitely consider this to be when you're the cat by the way.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

quiggy posted:

Rad. I would definitely consider this to be when you're the cat by the way.
Got it. I literally have not used the subterfuge moves yet so I'm still fuzzy on them.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey y'all, we're starting to wrap up the first session, so once your current scenes are done, I'll just ask you to hold on while we finish up and I set up the second one. Sax Battler, if you're looking to come back and can commit to regular posting (3-4 posts a week seems to be the pace we've settled on), I'd love to have you back. If not, let me know and I'll open up applications for a new PC.

Also if you've got any questions/comments/concerns about the game as it currently stands, now's a good time to bring them up, either here or in my DMs. Looking forward to the next session :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso

Xie definitely knows me better, now. Take Hx+1

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Pentaviso

Xie definitely knows me better, now. Take Hx+1

Will do. Not sure if you know Xíe better, but I feel like you probably do from watching me with Katarin, so take Hx +1.
(Tikorn had his own arc and doesn't know anyone except himself better, I guess!)

I'm watching the IC thread even though my session's wrapped up.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LogicNinja posted:

Will do. Not sure if you know Xíe better, but I feel like you probably do from watching me with Katarin, so take Hx +1.
(Tikorn had his own arc and doesn't know anyone except himself better, I guess!)

I'm watching the IC thread even though my session's wrapped up.

Neither Tikorn nor Siroko interacted with other PCs this session. I'll be sure to fix that next time around :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright we're down to one PC who hasn't wrapped up their session one story, and Sax Battler never responded, so I'm gonna up applications for a new fifth character! If you're interested in playing, feel free to drop an application into this thread, or point me back to an application from the original round if you want to resubmit! Barring a popular uprising from the current players I think I'd like to keep the game using the older AW:FE rules for simplicity's sake, so make sure if you submit a new character that that's what you're using. An easy way to check is to see if the PDF you're using has the Archwizard playbook: if it does, it's the wrong one.

Questions as always can be posted here or sent to me via PM. Session two will start once Siroko's story is finished and I've hopefully found a new character.

Edit: I should mention that the currently taken playbooks are Nightshade, Child of Battle, Sword Master, and Wolfshead. If you're submitting a new character, don't submit one of those!

quiggy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 27, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Certainly interested! I apped Mistral previously. I think I'd swap out Detachment for Still-Room or The Second Devotion, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with her.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 27, 2018

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

quiggy posted:

Alright we're down to one PC who hasn't wrapped up their session one story, and Sax Battler never responded, so I'm gonna up applications for a new fifth character! If you're interested in playing, feel free to drop an application into this thread, or point me back to an application from the original round if you want to resubmit! Barring a popular uprising from the current players I think I'd like to keep the game using the older AW:FE rules for simplicity's sake, so make sure if you submit a new character that that's what you're using.

I'm not gonna rise up or anything, but it's just a little annoying that this is the one version of the rules that doesn't give the Child of Battle "use Cool for battle moves" as part of Ice Cold. The first version and the latest version both make the move broader, the middle one we're using limits it to "fly at someone" (which is still pretty great!). I've set the character up to work around it, basically, but it's like having a shiny thing just out of reach. But I knew that going in, so it's not too big a deal.

Rules-unrelatedly, I think this is a pretty cool game so far. I've worked out a bunch of details about Xie's people as we've gone, and I'm envisioning them as a particularly sword-and-sorcery take on the Sidhe. A little Michael Moorcock, a little Exalted, a little wuxia.

Tikorn is getting pretty hosed up this session!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

LogicNinja posted:

Tikorn is getting pretty hosed up this session!

Indeed! Gonna have to take a look at the rules later, but I think my 2-harm at session's end means 2/3 of my non-life-threatening harm slots are permanently filled now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hi! I might be interested in joining in with a Mystic who used to speak with ghosts and was a well respected member of the community when he was alive, and now finds himself speaking with something much weirder, something even beyond this realm and it's making him a bit crazy.

Does that contradict something already established within the canon of the game?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 27, 2018

• Locked thread