Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Outpost maintenance is going to have a huge impact on early game expansion. Energy is a bit too useless in the game at the moment, especially now it can't be dumped into traders for minerals, but in the early game it's still really tight and you're going to have to focus on energy acquisition much more now in order to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My giant 200-system empire didn't seem to take much of a hit from the outpost maintenance change.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Sounds like it's time to restart after opting into the patch then... I kinda a liked my current map, too.

The outpost maintenance sounds unnecessary and I don't know why they'd add it in but maybe it will have some other effect we've yet to realize.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Ugh that outpost change is bad. They are close to the star, why wouldn't they have solar processors or something installed?

Gonna need to double my energy buildings for my robuts

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Sounds like it's time to restart after opting into the patch then... I kinda a liked my current map, too.

The outpost maintenance sounds unnecessary and I don't know why they'd add it in but maybe it will have some other effect we've yet to realize.

Buff to tall empires?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

liveoctopus posted:

This... is not actually a fix, but rather just obscuring the problem. Running the enemy fleet off and maintaining (or achieving) space superiority should count for something.

It does. It means you have space superiority, allowing you to capture systems and planets without having to deal with enemy fleets. :colbert:

Also: I'm fighting the Contingency right now, and I'm noticing that their ships bug out of fleets the way regular factions' ships do. What I'm not noticing is fleets that are forced to retreat fully reappearing anywhere. Meaning something like 75% of the Contingency ships are disappearing without actually being destroyed, which makes their fleets a lot less scary than I originally thought.

(also they have no kinetic weapons at all so go hog-wild with shields)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sloober posted:

Ugh that outpost change is bad. They are close to the star, why wouldn't they have solar processors or something installed?

Gonna need to double my energy buildings for my robuts

Would be nice if there was a solar panel module like starbases had to eliminate maintenance.

That's a real nice changelog though. Thank space Jesus the marauders aren't going to wreck all your poo poo any more. It's worth it just for that.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The unity buff is really noticeable. I went to having 160 months to the next level, with about 20% done, to one level done and 20% towards the following one, with a 40 months wait to the end. It not only became additive but also 1% rather than 2% per system.

I am not sure if I was already this high but my mineral income is +650 now, and I could have sworn I was at +300 earlier. If anything, it solves my energy problem at least.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gadzuko posted:

Would be nice if there was a solar panel module like starbases had to eliminate maintenance.

That's a real nice changelog though. Thank space Jesus the marauders aren't going to wreck all your poo poo any more. It's worth it just for that.

Yeah, it would be nice to see more options in the module section (or whatever the section where silos and inhibitors are located). Things like silos should be stackable, having some alternative modules, etc.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Outpost energy costs should scale. Up to ten outposts, they cost nothing. 11-20 is one energy per, 21+ is two energy per, with a mid to late tech that reduces it to .5 and 1 energy. Keeps the early game costs down, then ramps it up as you start unlocking more resources and techs to reduce costs.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 1, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The change to Expansion was absolutely necessary, as not taking it felt a bit like gimping yourself.

Not persuaded that starbase maintenance was a problem. Putting costs on a fun thing - which they are - is dumb, when they're already balanced by the cap.

Be interesting to see if liberation wars are more viable now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gort posted:

New opt-in beta patch:

like a billion changes

Jesus guys, it's been a week. You're allowed to take a break! :shobon:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah. One of my beefs with modules is that frontline starbases are the only ones you really have decisions to make about, backline, what, naval or offworld trading co? not much there. And not being able to put trading modules in uninhabited systems exacerbates it, and having more reason for backlines than just "MOAR ANCHORAGES" would be encouraging

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

canepazzo posted:

* Increased energy upkeep of all Starbase sizes by +1. Outposts now cost 1 energy maintenance

Whaaat, I didn’t see anybody complain about this so I’m interested in the reasoning behind it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fellblade posted:

Whaaat, I didn’t see anybody complain about this so I’m interested in the reasoning behind it.

I think it's just to balance lowering the Tradition penalty. It's not like it's a big cost, given that every system that doesn't have a science star is guaranteed to produce at least 2 energy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

liveoctopus posted:

This... is not actually a fix, but rather just obscuring the problem. Running the enemy fleet off and maintaining (or achieving) space superiority should count for something.

It's called a Pyrrhic victory. War exhaustion is all about your society's tolerance for the war, or I guess as a hive mind your collective self's, not your technical advantage in it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yes. You might win a war through massive expenditure of personnel and material, but that doesn't mean your people will thank you for it.

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

I feel like people are generally happier about victories than they are defeats. But fair enough! I'm happy with the war changes overall, that's just always stuck out as strange to me.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean, probably not if their loved ones died for it. Or for hive minds, they're pretty clearly not a literal one singular cohesive mind in many bodies so you're going to have the autonomous drones going "now I'm a simple infrastructure drone from SUB-REGION X8-24, but that's sure is a whole mess of resources we could use for our hyperlane bypass project." edit: please give me a hive mind civic for banjo music playing on constant loop in my drone's heads.

I wish warrior culture did something for war exhaustion though.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 1, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I really like the change to militarist ethos. Having reduced war exhaustion makes much more sense, thematically, and is less boring / more useful than "+ army damage"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TGLT posted:

I mean, probably not if their loved ones died for it. Or for hive minds, they're pretty clearly not a literal one singular cohesive mind in many bodies so you're going to have the autonomous drones going "boy that's a lot of resources we could use for our hyperlane bypass project."

I wish warrior culture did something for war exhaustion though.

For hive minds you're probably just getting really tired. Like war exhaustion is literal exhaustion.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If there was going to be an energy cost for each outpost, it should have been instead of the unity or science penalty, not in addition to both :colbert:

One of the things I despised about Civ V is how they would hit you with a list of penalties each time you expanded. Sad to see Stellaris heading in the same direction. I understand it's supposed to be a "cost" rather than a penalty, and if it was just energy I think it'd feel that way, but the research hit really should've been removed.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

For hive minds you're probably just getting really tired. Like war exhaustion is literal exhaustion.

Eh, it can be both. The influence and unity civics for hive minds talks about keeping your drones in line and stopping them from diverging too much, so they're not all totally the same entity. Kinda like different thought processes.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

hobbesmaster posted:

"Man fuuuuuck, look at how many ships I just lost there, now I have to rebuild all of those. Maaaaaaaaaan"

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

hobbesmaster posted:

And having someone blow up a colony is like a concussive brain injury!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

If there was going to be an energy cost for each outpost, it should have been instead of the unity or science penalty, not in addition to both :colbert:

One of the things I despised about Civ V is how they would hit you with a list of penalties each time you expanded. Sad to see Stellaris heading in the same direction. I understand it's supposed to be a "cost" rather than a penalty, and if it was just energy I think it'd feel that way, but the research hit really should've been removed.

Disagree. Civ 6, at least the version around release, removed (most?) research penalties from empire size and it was just terrible.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Also think that honourable warriors should get war exhaustion from other sources.

Really really ideally, your classic spartan/Klingon types should get WE for defeats instead of absolute losses, and maybe even LOSE it for a famous enough victory (even if it’s a massive strategic blunder).

By changing up what gives war exhaustion for different civics you could have some really interesting distinctive playstyles.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fellblade posted:

it's too easy to blob up and then buy all of the enclave bonuses forever in my experience. starbase trading modules are way more powerful than solar panels ever were, so if you avoid using starbases on border defense, you can really rack up energy

Spanish Matlock posted:

Does anyone else feel like gateways are prohibitively expensive? You could easily cut the prices in half and be on target. Why would I spend 10,000 energy and 5000 minerals to reactivate or 10000 minerals to build a structure that just cuts down on travel time when wormholes exist?

gates do kinda suck with their slider set to 1x, too expensive for what you can expect to get out of them. 2x or 2.5x gates makes the entire galaxy have gates - most empires will have at least one - but doesn't put them literally everywhere, so it creates a really mass effect-esque feeling of most areas being linked together, but with backwater areas that have to be slowboated to as well.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 1, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Disagree. Civ 6, at least the version around release, removed (most?) research penalties from empire size and it was just terrible.

That's the best part of Civ VI. An empire-building game that encourages you to actually build an empire, a novel concept!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

That's the best part of Civ VI. An empire-building game that encourages you to actually build an empire, a novel concept!

Civ 6 is trash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

ICS has proved effective throughout history!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

ICS has proved effective throughout history!

The Roman Empire stood for hundreds of years before it collapsed :shrug: Not that this is a Civ thread, but in general mechanical concepts trump realism anyway.

And there's a measure of difference between ICS and, you know, just playing a 4X game (number onetwo being expand).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

"Man fuuuuuck, look at how many ships I just lost there, now I have to rebuild all of those. Maaaaaaaaaan"

It's Us @HiveTime2244329183 posted:

After half our fleet was decimated, we are officially ready for the weekend.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

not feeling limited to 4 cities all game is a part of the very short list of things civ 6 did better than 5

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

liveoctopus posted:

I feel like people are generally happier about victories than they are defeats. But fair enough! I'm happy with the war changes overall, that's just always stuck out as strange to me.

The French and the British weren't terribly thrilled about WW1, even after they won.

I mean, they would have been even less happy to have lost, but three years in everyone involved was very ready for the war to be over, win or lose.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aw geez, they blew up Autonomous Command Drone F-78! Now I have to manually command the entire flank, ugggghhh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TGLT posted:

Eh, it can be both. The influence and unity civics for hive minds talks about keeping your drones in line and stopping them from diverging too much, so they're not all totally the same entity. Kinda like different thought processes.

Reminds me of the Imperial Radch trilogy, where one of the central conflicts is different instantiations of the Supreme Leader deciding that the other group of instantiations has been compromised by hostile powers. :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
There's also the point that War Exhaustion also represents things like "Oh man, our logistics lines are getting really stressed and unstable under the pressures of this hellwar and the fact that the Omicron system keeps changing hands is playing merry hell with the civilian economy and every day that passes we're losing a hundred spacetrucks carrying spacefood and spaceoil to the spaceships and space armies in enemy territory to pure attrition." That kind of thing can apply to hive minds and machine intelligences even if the gestalt consciousnesses still want to fight a war - their logistical lines may be getting so screwed up that they need to pause the war so that they can unfuck everything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Reminds me of the Imperial Radch trilogy, where one of the central conflicts is different instantiations of the Supreme Leader deciding that the other group of instantiations has been compromised by hostile powers. :v:

The Radch would be a rad (lol) civ to model in stellaris, but there's not really a way to get an immortal hive-mind leader like Anaander in an otherwise regular human society. You could probably fake it but where's the fun in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/969108798907539456

:allears: