Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I am a complete babby at buying cars, but I thought this whole process was supposed to be fun. I am losing sleep over which car to buy. Not to mention that it feels like every color I want either costs more or is hard to find. When does this become fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kaujot posted:

I am a complete babby at buying cars, but I thought this whole process was supposed to be fun. I am losing sleep over which car to buy. Not to mention that it feels like every color I want either costs more or is hard to find. When does this become fun?

When it's yours and you drive it.

My Golf R is arriving this week, I'm told, so it's finally close to happening for me!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Living in Colorado with a completely repainted front end means I'm starting to get a lot of rock chips. How do those affect lease turn in? Should I at least get the hood and bumper wrapped to help prevent some of them?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
You'll most likely be fine. Even more so if you lease or buy another VW.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Living in Colorado with a completely repainted front end means I'm starting to get a lot of rock chips. How do those affect lease turn in? Should I at least get the hood and bumper wrapped to help prevent some of them?

If it's any consolation, the stock paint chips stupid easily too

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

kaujot posted:

It doesn’t until you’ve bought one and forgot about how much money you’ve spent.

Can someone explain when I’d want to use the DSG shifters when driving? I’ve only ever done automatics, so I’ve got utterly no idea what the point is. Higher gear for when I want to pass someone NOW?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lower gear but yeah

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

It doesn’t until you’ve bought one and forgot about how much money you’ve spent.

Can someone explain when I’d want to use the DSG shifters when driving? I’ve only ever done automatics, so I’ve got utterly no idea what the point is. Higher gear for when I want to pass someone NOW?

well you can stomp on the gas and hold it down and the transmission will quickly figure out what you want and double downshift

or you can do it yourself but if you've never owned a manual you might not have experienced the joy of getting the right gear before you tear into an onramp

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Or when you're in a tunnel and want to be a child.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Going downhill and you don’t want it trying to upshift to 6th

Warbird
May 23, 2012

As I understand it, Lower gear == better acceleration something something power band something something gear ratios. Correct? Sport mode is just for a “friskier” drive and is just a for fun thing, no?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sport mode will hold a gear longer before upshifting as well as downshifting more aggressively when you brake/mash on the gas

it may also shift slightly quicker but i'm not totally sure about that. fancier automated manuals do that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Warbird posted:

As I understand it, Lower gear == better acceleration something something power band something something gear ratios. Correct? Sport mode is just for a “friskier” drive and is just a for fun thing, no?

Have you ever ridden a bicycle with gears? It's like that. If you're in a gear that's too low for your speed, you won't be able to accelerate because you can't make your legs go fast enough. If you're in a gear that's too high, you can't do anything because you don't have the necessary power to make the pedals go faster. Now, on a bike, if you aren't moving your feet, your pedals (the engine) aren't connected to the wheels. In a car, this is not the case unless you're in neutral. This means if your gear is too low, you can cause engine damage, and if your gear is too high the engine can stall (the DSG will prevent both of these conditions, they are only issues if you're driving a manual transmission). It also means that if you downshift, you can use the resistance from the engine to slow the car down.

Sport mode, in most cars, will just change the shift points and the speed with which the transmission shifts. All automatics will want to switch to the highest possible gear where possible because it's more efficient when you don't need to be able to accelerate quickly. When you press the gas, the transmission will eventually downshift so that power is available. Sport mode makes the transmission reach that point quicker, and make it less likely to shift back up afterward ASAP. It also means the shifting process itself happens faster, which results in better performance but a less smooth ride.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

If it's any consolation, the stock paint chips stupid easily too

Every carmaker switched to watercolors to paint their cars someone in the 80s, it seems.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think it was in the mid-late 2000's; post-E46/E39 BMWs had orange peel from the factory, Honda / Acuras of that era are plagued with oxidation, etc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
something something Hyundai paint as recently as 2010.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BlackMK4 posted:

I think it was in the mid-late 2000's; post-E46/E39 BMWs had orange peel from the factory, Honda / Acuras of that era are plagued with oxidation, etc

My '08 Si had a warranty extension on the paint due to this. Of course, mine didn't start going to poo poo until the extension was over. I kinda took it in the shorts on the trade in - only got $5000 when I traded it last summer vs. the $8000 I got when I traded my 2000 Si on the 2008.

My body shop quoted me $4000 to repaint it, so I was in one of those situations with two choices and they both sucked.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So something weird happened.

When pulling out of where we ate dinner, I put the GTI into Sport mode and flicked the shifter over to the right for "more" sport (I don't know how this stuff works yet). I let the car coast down to about 10mph and accelerated. Incidentally there was a loud knocking noise and a pretty substantial kind of "bucking" coming from what felt like the back right of the car. Given we've had this thing for all of 48 hours, I'm not thrilled.

If felt similar to me loving up changing gears in my roommate's old Miata, so my best guess (and hope) is that I did something stupid that caused it to happen. Car seems and drives just fine otherwise. Anyone have an idea what happened there?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you upshifted to 2nd and blasted it at 10 mph.

i dont know about no fancy dsg gti or anything but

dont do that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's a relief. My brain is broke but the car is fine. I think I'll just stay the gently caress out of sport mode for a while.

Edit - What would have been the proper way to go about that? Drop to first then hit the gas? Only do that sort of thing from a standstill?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
listen to the engine ya dork.

dont upshift til the engine wants to

its subjective, some folks like to rev it higher than others.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Either do a launch control from a standstill for maximum lol or just let the DSG do its thing. The turbo spools up so quickly and the programming is predictable and satisfying once you're used to it.

Edit because I am dumb.

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 1, 2018

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Also don’t lug turbocharged DI engines unless you want to find out how much LSPI it takes before one of your rods decides to put a window in your block.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

To clarify, I wasn't shifting. It's entirely possible that I hit one of the shifter pedals without meaning to. There wasn't enough time to listen to anything before things went weird; I'm going to chalk this up to operator error.

Midget I have utterly no idea what you said.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Foot to the floor all day everyday.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Engines that are turbocharged and have direct injection can suffer from a type of knock called low speed pre-ignition. It results from the small turbos on these cars forcing in a lot of boost while at low RPM which puts a lot of stress on the connecting rods and pistons. Sometimes some leftover oil or combustion products from the previous stroke in the cylinder can combine with this extra boost and cause a type of cylinder knock that can destroy your engine. Therefore it is recommended that when you are driving high strung engines like these that you keep your RPMs up when getting your foot into it and making sure you are in the right gear. For instance you don’t want to be in 3rd or 4th at like 1200 RPM and then put your foot down without going up a gear or two to lessen the chance of LSPI.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Huge_Midget posted:

Engines that are turbocharged and have direct injection can suffer from a type of knock called low speed pre-ignition. It results from the small turbos on these cars forcing in a lot of boost while at low RPM which puts a lot of stress on the connecting rods and pistons. Sometimes some leftover oil or combustion products from the previous stroke in the cylinder can combine with this extra boost and cause a type of cylinder knock that can destroy your engine. Therefore it is recommended that when you are driving high strung engines like these that you keep your RPMs up when getting your foot into it and making sure you are in the right gear. For instance you don’t want to be in 3rd or 4th at like 1200 RPM and then put your foot down without going up a gear or two to lessen the chance of LSPI.

Apparently EcoBoost motors end up with ring land damage from this, a local tuner who really seems to know his poo poo with Ford hot hatches gave the directive on a Facebook group to keep your revs above 2k if you’re about to get into it, seems like good advice and was already pretty much how I operated. I guess people get a bit lazy with torquey motors and just put the boot in from low speed and let the boost do its thing.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Foot to the floor all day everyday.

Especially in a bland colored FiST . Easy 95%+ of other drivers (and cops!) just see a boring rear end Fiesta and pay no attention. In four years of owning one I was approached three times by people actually knowing what it was and asking about .

I hear GTI’s are similar, but where I’m from we don’t have a VW dealer within like 2 hours so they seem to stick out just a bit more than a Fiesta or focus

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huge_Midget posted:

That makes much more sense, thank you for elaborating!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

So something weird happened.

When pulling out of where we ate dinner, I put the GTI into Sport mode and flicked the shifter over to the right for "more" sport (I don't know how this stuff works yet). I let the car coast down to about 10mph and accelerated. Incidentally there was a loud knocking noise and a pretty substantial kind of "bucking" coming from what felt like the back right of the car. Given we've had this thing for all of 48 hours, I'm not thrilled.

If felt similar to me loving up changing gears in my roommate's old Miata, so my best guess (and hope) is that I did something stupid that caused it to happen. Car seems and drives just fine otherwise. Anyone have an idea what happened there?

you pushed it over to fully manual mode on the dsg, meaning it will only upshift from the current gear (1st gear) to the next gear (2nd gear) if you tell it to by using the paddles or if you hit the rev limiter in your current gear it will do it automatically and stay in manual mode.

i'm guessing you actually didnt have anything at the rear, you probably stepped on the gas in 1st and got wheelhop which can feel loud and violent, especially if you're not used to it. it happens a lot on front wheel drive cars when they lose/fight for traction.

if you were in drive or sport mode your transmission probably would have quickly shifted to 2nd gear and you may not have noticed it as much.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Or traction control cutting power

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm guessing you actually didnt have anything at the rear, you probably stepped on the gas in 1st and got wheelhop which can feel loud and violent, especially if you're not used to it. it happens a lot on front wheel drive cars when they lose/fight for traction.

On this note, get this dogbone mount. It makes a huge difference in wheelhop.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

fknlo posted:

But tread carefully because the increase in NVH isn't for everyone.

DSG manual shifts can feel very abrupt (and potentially alarming) when in manual mode if you're really going for gold as it can slam it into the next gear absurdly fast. I could see how that would be alarming as well.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PabloBOOM posted:

Also... it will increase wear on the stock motor/tranny mounts. So keep that in mind too!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

do not tell the guy who doesn't know how a loving transmission works to install a dogbone mount

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PabloBOOM posted:

I didn't get any noticeable NVH increase from mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not tell the guy who doesn't know how a loving transmission works to install a dogbone mount

I wasn't necessarily telling him to install it even though if you can remove and then install a bolt you can do it.

If you've never had something like a DSG or manual transmission I can totally see not understanding how that stuff works. Autos with a lovely "manual" mode aren't even close.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

For $45 I might try it out. I can do bolts!

Although I'm still commuting wrong, so I probably won't notice anything :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

This was my guess. You got wheel hop on the front axle and it's pretty violent and shakes the whole car.

To the OP: sport mode is exactly what it sounds like. It makes the car feel and sound more sporty. You can go into the radio and play with the driver modes (look at the "custom" setting, it allows you to pick and choose what things you want from sport mode vs. normal mode so you can see what exactly sport mode is changing). Moving the shifter to the right just puts it in manual mode where you need to tell it when to shift, but it will save you from yourself when you forget to command downshifts that would otherwise stall the car.

In summary, RTFM. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Custom mode: everything sport setting, Sound Aktor off.