Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work for a manufacturing company. If people can't come in, the business can't run. Doesn't happen too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Ants posted:

Being able to continue to run the business without having to get into the office or in the event the office stops existing is so often seen as a niche thing that's not needed. Until it is and then people expect an entire work from home infrastructure to pop up within hours.

Luckily i've already asked the boss about working from home and he's very much "how would i know if people are actually working". Which is fair enough, his business is still kind of in the stoneage and its why i'm happy with him on his general ability to just go on my suggestions. I recently convinced him that it'd be possible for someone who was on long term recovery (as in, they could come in, but it'd be far easier if they didn't) to work from a laptop and he agreed on it. Maybe the work from home infrastructure will come up after my contingency plan of "what to do if i suddenly die" gets completed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dogstile posted:

"how would i know if people are actually working"

I've never really understood this one. If people aren't actually working then the work doesn't get done.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've never really understood this one. If people aren't actually working then the work doesn't get done.

This is exactly how I've always felt. I don't need to be working from home to waste the majority of my day and get nothing done.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sometimes you get paid to be an rear end in a seat in the office.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dogstile posted:

Luckily i've already asked the boss about working from home and he's very much "how would i know if people are actually working".

I had a previous job like that which was weird because we had like 5 remote employees, but if you lived near the office you couldn't work from home, ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

I had a previous job like that which was weird because we had like 5 remote employees, but if you lived near the office you couldn't work from home, ever.

That was also my previous job. Three full-time remote employees, but god help you if you wanted to work from home because city infrastructure was basically paralyzed due to absurd amounts of ice for the area.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I work for a manufacturing company. If people can't come in, the business can't run. Doesn't happen too often.

Same here. Last place, they'd tell everyone get in if you possibly can, we'd do as much as possible and then they'd decide in hindsight whether the absences were excused.

Led yo a lot of quiet nights where just me and the mechanics showed up and played cards all night.

Current job may have me working for a baby eating psychopath but the higher ups will close the place at the first school closure, which is nice.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Kyrosiris posted:

That was also my previous job. Three full-time remote employees, but god help you if you wanted to work from home because city infrastructure was basically paralyzed due to absurd amounts of ice for the area.

I’ve never understood this. You’ll lose a lot more productivity than you ever could with a WFH day, if your staff all dies in car accidents because there was a goddamn blizzard.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
At my company simply getting the work from home infrastructure was a year-long struggle, and they only ultimately approved it because some sales reps wanted to move and be remote full-time. After that, we actually were allowed to work from home up to 20 hours a week (4 hours a day, and a separate unlimited amount of time to work remote if sick) as long as there was coverage in IT. Other departments adopted our remote work policies, too, it was awesome. But then profits dipped and the COO scrambled for an excuse, and singled out occasional remote work as the scapegoat.

But this is a company where the CEO famously said “people are here to work, not be entertained” about headphones, so I guess we should have seen it coming.

Executives, man. Who even knows with them.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
My working theory is every executive is a total asshat, and the ones that aren't are just faking it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Antioch posted:

My working theory is every executive is a total asshat, and the ones that aren't are just faking it.

Ive always found that the executives that are good tend to bounce around companies a lot. The bad ones, the ones that have hit peak upwards failing, are the ones that stay because they have nowhere else to go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fortis posted:

At my company simply getting the work from home infrastructure was a year-long struggle, and they only ultimately approved it because some sales reps wanted to move and be remote full-time. After that, we actually were allowed to work from home up to 20 hours a week (4 hours a day, and a separate unlimited amount of time to work remote if sick) as long as there was coverage in IT. Other departments adopted our remote work policies, too, it was awesome. But then profits dipped and the COO scrambled for an excuse, and singled out occasional remote work as the scapegoat.

But this is a company where the CEO famously said “people are here to work, not be entertained” about headphones, so I guess we should have seen it coming.

Executives, man. Who even knows with them.
Last time I was sick in a place that let people work from home I was told to gently caress off and just sleep until I was alright to come back in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dogstile posted:

Luckily i've already asked the boss about working from home and he's very much "how would i know if people are actually working".

Clear indication of how much he trusts and values his employees.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Eh, i'll convince him at some point. I can only imagine he's been burned before, the guy doesn't seem like the type to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason. :shrug:

He did grow up super mega rich however, so he's hard to get a read on. Dudes from an entirely different world to me. All of my previous bosses were "started my own company from nothing" types.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The best part of my old boss that didn't approve of remote work if you lived close enough to the office...he worked from his house in Arizona half the year (we're in Michigan)

Fortis posted:

We can wear a headphone in one ear.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Arquinsiel posted:

Last time I was sick in a place that let people work from home I was told to gently caress off and just sleep until I was alright to come back in.
As it should be. I never understood the management mindset saying that it's better to drag in sick, half-productive employees than to give them time to recuperate.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

The Macaroni posted:

As it should be. I never understood the management mindset saying that it's better to drag in sick, half-productive employees than to give them time to recuperate.

If they don't have their full headcount in office at all times, then they lose status among other managers, I think.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Union negotiations have broken down. Seems like we're on strike from 4/4. Oh well.. the last one I was partaking in was in 1998, and this looks like it's going to be just as big. All municipal and county working what's roughly "a desk job" will be striking to try to force a better wage settlement for the next two/three years. All in all we're looking at 50,000 people striking. I just hope I'm not going to be appointed "vital staff" and get to keep working to keep systems vital to people's health online.

(no, we're not going to lose any money. The union will cover wages for as long as the strike lasts)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Is Level 3 getting owned today again?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Is Level 3 getting owned today again?

There should be a "is level 3 being affected by a DDoS today?" like the abe vigoda website for quick reference.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Get whoever made http://thefuckingweather.com (nws language obviously) to do it.

The packets are loving fast/slow/lost!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
:ssj:

code:
Port Device ID Port ID Type Network Address
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ge.1.1      20b399633da8          ge.1.3      ciscodp 172.18.137.3
ge.1.1     20:B3:99:63:3D:A8     ge.1.3      lldp
ge.1.3     20b399633da8           ge.1.1      ciscodp 172.18.137.3
ge.1.3     20:B3:99:63:3D:A8     ge.1.1      lldp
ge.1.24   20b3998cfc68          ge.1.46      ciscodp 172.17.137.2
ge.1.24   20:b3:99:8c:fc:68                        cdp 172.17.137.2

Mother loving PC tech though he would be helpful and plug in a loose patch cable.....

Three foot patch cable plugged into two adjacent ports...what the gently caress. I don't know why spantree didn't catch it, we'll get to that later.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 28, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Farking Bastage posted:

:ssj:

code:
Port Device ID Port ID Type Network Address
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ge.1.1      20b399633da8          ge.1.3      ciscodp 172.18.137.3
ge.1.1     20:B3:99:63:3D:A8     ge.1.3      lldp
ge.1.3     20b399633da8           ge.1.1      ciscodp 172.18.137.3
ge.1.3     20:B3:99:63:3D:A8     ge.1.1      lldp
ge.1.24   20b3998cfc68          ge.1.46      ciscodp 172.17.137.2
ge.1.24   20:b3:99:8c:fc:68                        cdp 172.17.137.2

Mother loving PC tech though he would be helpful and plug in a loose patch cable.....

Three foot patch cable plugged into two adjacent ports...what the gently caress. I don't know why spantree didn't catch it, we'll get to that later.

Hahaha. This throws me back to my first job after college, which was at a company making then-brand-new bandwidth management devices. Which had "in" and "out" ports and were meant to be connected inline (NOT to adjacent ports on the same bank).

This being the late 90s, when people still used hubs.

Every one of us in the dev and QA teams had our company's boxes on our desks or in little ad-hoc wildcat labs, and packet throwers. On a totally unswitched network.

I am just trying to imagine the magnitude of the heart attack a modern IT team (or even the one at the time, really) would have had upon being asked to oversee this kind of environment. As it was, people creating packet accelerator loops or the dev-net being completely goatfucked and the outside world inaccessible was about a weekly occurrence.

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015
I feel for larches. I work in higher ed at a state university. I just need to vent. So help me god if a co-worker is a goon, but I doubt it.

I have a narcissist director, a destroyed shell of an associate director, I have 6 managers below them that I report too. I am 1 of 9 remaining techs, we used to have 12. Due to an HR miss classification of our job titles and descriptions 20 years ago we are all considered manager level and should have people working under us. I close the second most tickets in a year for the techs. I close about 500-550 tickets a year, the tech above me closes 650+. If a person sneezes at him he opens a ticket. He is a pretty great guy. The other techs close about 2-300 tickets each per year.

I am the only tech under 30, I am one 4 techs not retiring within the next 5 years, I am the only tech with any sort of IT degrees and certifications. Most of the other techs have just been moved into the tech role years ago as the IT needs changed because "you're good with computers". My department is 1 of 5 sub departments that make up the universities IT department. My department is the red headed step child of IT, so none of the other groups really communicate with us. My department used to be 4 separate sub departments, but our director absorbed them and ruined them. Right now our help desk consists of two full time help desk technicians and a manager for about 10,000 employees. The manager shouldn't be taking calls at all but has to in order to ensure people get lunch. Field techs rotate in for 4 hour stints per day, but only 4 field techs answer phones for various reasons. Shits hosed.

On top of being 3 techs down we are also missing 2 additional people. We had one position filled, but they guy lasted less than two months before he was looking else where and got a 6 figure offer. He was poached from our primary contractor without the bat of an eye. No manager saw a problem with this. Due to our director wanting his hands on everything and changing job descriptions to include his pet projects we have lost two pins for jobs.

His primary pet project is to use the field techs as teachers to instruct non-technical students in outside departments to be "first responders" to tech emergencies "unplugged cables". The students have to pass a 12 part black board course before getting 6 hours of hands on training. Each part is an hour and this is usually during the semester because they are definitely not doing it during the breaks. The program was over promised and well under delivered. I want it to die and so does everyone else. I have to hand hold the students on top of my normal job duties and work just as much as an adjunct with no additional pay.

With most projects the same 4 techs are called upon to do it, while the rest are free to focus on their dismal ticket load.

We had a 2 hour meeting last week where he talked about "cool" emerging technology like 3D printing, drones, VR headsets and 4k. Basically ends the meeting by seriously saying we are going to have to support this poo poo without training. Some of it is simple, I know, but when I am the only one that has exposure to this it sucks. The other hour and a half of the meeting he talked about a conspiracy that our refurbishment program of ours that has saved the university a bit of money has come to the attention of Dell. That our program is so successful they are raising prices across the board.

We are also currently going under a re-org for our department, but we can't call it a re-org. We are not allowed to have problems, only challenges. When ever a tough issue comes in that a manager can't trust anyone else to do I get a call or email with, "Sorry we keep having to rely on you..." Its a knife in my back and each time I read it I feel it twist. My yearly reviews are always full of praise about how I do so well, close a ton of tickets and am a constant resource to everyone in our department. I still get poo poo on with a ticket queue of a constant 25 while the average is 5-10. We do have areas of support, but I am not really allowed to observe them because triage. I am on plenty of different teams that do matter and some pet projects of our director that are on life support and have been forgotten. I make decent money for my age and have great benefits, but the poo poo that comes with this job is so draining.

I have applied to a systems engineer position in another sub department, but I feel that my resume will be passed over because of the sub department I am coming from. I have a manager that is retiring this summer and if I can't anything else to move on to I will apply to his position as it is being re-categorized into a "knowledge management manager" , directors words not mine. The pay increase would be over 30%-50% of what I make now, I am well liked and considered the most technical which is what they are looking for. If I don't get that either then I need to jump ship as soon as I can because there would be no other opportunities to move up.

There is so much more than just this. I needed to vent and while typing this I got 5 more tickets...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Dude, get out.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Dude, that is a hot mess. Things are not likely to improve if you get promoted to manager. You're best off :yotj:ing out of there.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

RadicalR posted:

Dude, get out.

lambeth posted:

Dude, that is a hot mess. Things are not likely to improve if you get promoted to manager. You're best off :yotj:ing out of there.

What they said. No one outside of your organization is going to know what a poo poo show your department is. Talk yourself up, find something different (maybe outside of academia).

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

What they said. No one outside of your organization is going to know what a poo poo show your department is. Talk yourself up, find something different (maybe outside of academia).

I'm trying my best. I got my resume out there, my linkedin fully updated and all that jazz. I am hoping to YOTJ, but right now there is a lot of help desk jobs that people would rather fill. There is some system engineer positions open at Amazon I could apply to. I think as long as I am not a warehouse worker I might not be worked to death?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

JackOfferman posted:

I'm trying my best. I got my resume out there, my linkedin fully updated and all that jazz. I am hoping to YOTJ, but right now there is a lot of help desk jobs that people would rather fill. There is some system engineer positions open at Amazon I could apply to. I think as long as I am not a warehouse worker I might not be worked to death?

If it’s the aws stuff a recruiter messaged me about on LinkedIn, it looks like a good gig.

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015

The Fool posted:

If it’s the aws stuff a recruiter messaged me about on LinkedIn, it looks like a good gig.

I'm in MD and the closest AWS stuff is in Reston, VA or there abouts. I think this is for internal support for one of their MD locations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

JackOfferman posted:

The quality of your experience as an Amazon techbro is completely dependent on the quality of your boss, and the quality of your team.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

JackOfferman posted:

As long as you're not an actual warehouse grunt you'll probably be fine. Doing tech support for the warehouse grunts probably isn't great either, but at least you're not one of those poor fuckers.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

JackOfferman posted:

Send me your CV. I can forward it to a friend in HR.

Also no, you will not be worked to death. You will work hard but you will learn a shitload, work along side ridiculously smart people and open up a ton of doors in your career path.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have an interview lined up next week :ohdear:

I'm going to interview for a senior role, I feel like wanting me as a senior should be the first red flag but here we are.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Some of you all care way way way too much about your jobs.

Pro-Tip: Stop giving a poo poo and just do what you can and leave at 8 hours.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ratbert90 posted:

Pro-er tip: put in the amount of work that makes you happy. If that's working your rear end off for 5 hours and loving off the rest of the day, do that. If it's working slow and steady 12 hours a day and not getting stressed, do that.

If you can't balance your job and your happiness you should probably look for a new job.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pro-er tip: put in the amount of work that makes you happy. If that's working your rear end off for 5 hours and loving off the rest of the day, do that. If it's working slow and steady 12 hours a day and not getting stressed, do that.

If you can't balance your job and your happiness you should probably look for a new job.

Very true.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We need to make a smaller version of this the new 2018 Get Out GIF for our thread:

Maybe just the part until GET OUT appears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

My Angry Boss flipped his lid over something trivial early this morning and took it out on the next person he saw (me) and was professionally insulting in front of a subordinate. There's a whole list of little extra things I do outside my literal job description that just evaporated.