Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Waco a lot but it wasn't perfect and kinda ended sort of weakly. They started slowly building up the Korresh is a nutjob angle slowly but then kinda pull back at the end.

Also, no mention of McVeigh being there which I think seems strange unless they can't for legal reasons. It would seem like a guy detonating a bomb infront of a government building on the anniversary would be somewhat of a relevant piece of information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well I finally finished Deadwood.

...there were some real good episodes along the way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of wood: Rosewood would be a decent show if the will-they-won't-they poo poo between the leads didn't make Bones look subtle. I think this is like the third time the titular character has a woman break up with him because she realizes she "can't compete" with his partner, and I'm still on season 1. You can only pull that poo poo starting with season 4, show!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of wood: Rosewood would be a decent show if the will-they-won't-they poo poo between the leads didn't make Bones look subtle. I think this is like the third time the titular character has a woman break up with him because she realizes she "can't compete" with his partner, and I'm still on season 1. You can only pull that poo poo starting with season 4, show!

Have you watched 9-1-1 yet?

I'm honestly glad that my roommate liked it because I probably wouldn't have watched more than two episodes on my own. It's a very odd show in that it was advertised as a procedural, and the first couple of episodes make it seem that way. Then episode 3 they just go for the balls-out season 4, we've running out of ideas plots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That doesn't really sound like something I'd want to watch. I need a steady dose of procedurals in my life or my kidneys start to fail, and I hate a bait-and-switch.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The newest X-Files episodes is the best episode of Black Mirror, it's also really funny.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Magicians and Travelers both renewed, yay!

http://deadline.com/2018/02/the-magicians-renewed-season-4-syfy-1202306287/

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/03/travelers-renewed-fo-3rd-season-by.html?m=1

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah I'm gonna wait and see if Waaco shows up on Netflix for a few months for now. Gonna keep it near the top of the list when it does show up.

Atlanta - there's a show I ought to be watching. Heard extremely good things about it and Donald Glover's freaking amazing, so I checked out part of the first episode online and it was so freaking amazingly good that I wanted to wait to properly watch it on a bigger screen, also even though it was hilarious it felt almost too... real/surreal for me to take in a few ways.

It's really very, very, very strange - it's like I remember say 15 years ago or so and Baby Boomers were still making all the shows until like very early on work from Gen-X started to show up in places like Comedy Central or Cartoon Network. I remember watching like... The first season of Robot Chicken, for example. back in 2005, and it was just totally amazing and novel to be watching a show on television that actually "got" the same general overall kind of "internet humor" which (it's like ancient history now) this site was a burgeoning part of in the years leading up to "that type" of humor proliferating more and more. Like a virus. Or some sickeningly long tapeworm that when pulled out of the bowels of humanity could stretch around the equator 5000 times or something. Uh, I'm getting off-topic.

The point I wanted to make was that now, we actually have people of our generation starting to create their own awesome and fantastic TV shows and so forth - multi-talented people like Donald Glover who were born in the mid-80s and are at the point where they can do their own thing. It's exciting because there's a meaningful cultural, generational link there (in my opinion) goes beyond race and speaks to the great commonalities which we all share - those of us who happened to be born into this weird brief cuspy-generation between the Gen-Xers and the Millennials. Those of us who were born after ~1982 but before ~1992.

We grew up in a VERY different world than the one kids grow up in now; we were the last generation of latchkey kids, the last generation who grew up without any online social media network; heck, we would take computer classes where they would specifically each us how to word process and run documents, and it was still treated as an arcane unknown. There was so little accountability - I still remember long days where the only rule was "be home by dark!" and me and my buddies would be out on our bikes all afternoon, buying candy and soda or working on our treehouse or exploring some densely forested area and finding big gulleys and streams... Well, part of that was growing up as a kid in Maine because even in the biggest city in the state there are still endless acres of dense, brambly forestland where-ever you go, some areas bigger than others of course. I lived near a pond and a big surrounding undeveloped area owned by the city, so we had lots of places to explore, things to find... It was all very Stephen King with the innocence of Calvin & Hobbes.

Which reminds me, on a random note... Don't you guys all *love* that Bill Watterson has so much integrity about his creation? If he were a normal guy we'd probably be gearing up for the fifth or sixth CALVIN & HOBBES MOVIE which would just rip out any one of the great long storylines he made and it embellish it with celebrity voices acting goofy and awful fart jokes *shudder* and who knows, they may have even made a 3D CGI version of it by now. And it would make tons of money and be sooooo awful.

Thinking about stuff like that makes me feel so cynical about many of the comic book adaptations we've been getting, not that they're bad films, it's just... I don't know. I think my issue is that I really like books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh god, for some reason season 2 of Rosewood does that insufferable Office style free moving camera work with random snap zooms.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yikes, I see what you guys meant about The Path. I enjoyed most of the first season as a small drama about people being drawn into and escaping from a from a relatively believable cult but I bailed an episode into season 2 when they decided that apparently what the show really needed was for prophecies and visions to be real.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

muscles like this! posted:

Heathers' premiere has been pushed back from March 7th to "?"

It wouldn't surprised me if this goes the way of A&E's "Neighbors With Benefits", and just disappears. Honestly I didn't mine the premiere, but it wasn't great. I do think the knee-jerk reaction to the pilot was a little much (on both sides), but still the satire of the show is not as cleaver as it thinks it is. I hope it does comes back so we can see the complete season. but too much great TV to get upset if it doesn't.

Also the Paramount App is pure trash.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The postponment has nothing to do with the reaction to the pilot. They just don't want to promote a show about school children killing other school children right at this moment. Of course, who knows when they'll actually get a clear window to do that.

Somewhat related, I was really surprised to see Comedy Central run this week's Corporate since Jake kept insisting that he would rather talk about the latest mass shooting rather than some prestige tv show.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm glad Taylor Kitsch is finally doing something good. I've always been a fan of the guy for some reason even though he hasn't actually been in very many good things. Yeah, I liked Friday Night Lights, but he wasn't really one of my favorite characters/actors in it.

I'll definitely check out Waco when I get the chance. Plus, I love Michael Shannon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He usually plays generic military guy or generic cop or generic fireman guy from what I've seen. It's too bad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

The postponment has nothing to do with the reaction to the pilot. They just don't want to promote a show about school children killing other school children right at this moment. Of course, who knows when they'll actually get a clear window to do that.

Oh I know that. I was just thinking out loud how everything surrounding the show since the trailer has been so negative (unfairly at times). Also I have the same thought if there will ever be a clear window again to do a show about school children killing each other. How much longer until the next school mass shooting?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When are these shows about children killing each other going to stop being treated so unfairly???

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

When are these shows about children killing each other going to stop being treated so unfairly???

do you honestly think it's good that, whenever a bad thing happens, we just declare a total moratorium on addressing that thing in art in any ways except the absolute most maudlin and "conscious" until said bad thing has been sufficiently memory-holed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(welcome to something awful dot com)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Did you guys catch this week's episode of Thoughts and Prayers?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

I think you missed the 'at times' part cause no said the violence issue is why the show is being treating unfairly. The unfairly part is how many have written the show off as pro-Trump.

IRQ posted:

Did you guys catch this week's episode of Thoughts and Prayers?

I think Chris Pratt did.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like I don't think we should just be declaring open season on school shooting jokes, but the fact that media producers' default response to tragedy now is "indefinitely delay any violent stuff in the pipe" strikes me as... kind of weird and silly?

especially since you sometimes end up with cases like the new Death Wish movie, where they pushed it back after Vegas... only to make its release timing even loving worse because it's coming out like next week, right after Black History Month and that school shooting. like, good job Eli Roth, that absolutely helped and totally didn't make things even worse than if you'd just released the loving thing last year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix has poached Hasan Minhaj from the Daily Show for his own weekly talk show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just looked at their site, and I've gone from watching a ton of Daily Show to not knowing a single person on the correspondent list.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bull3964 posted:

Netflix has poached Hasan Minhaj from the Daily Show for his own weekly talk show.

Awesome and well deserved, his Netflix special was incredible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't seen his stand up but his White House correspondence thing was the worst I've ever seen.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just looked at their site, and I've gone from watching a ton of Daily Show to not knowing a single person on the correspondent list.

To be honest I'm surprised that Desi Lydic is still on. She's funny as hell.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh God, that Death Wish remake that seems so, so poorly thought out is made by Eli Roth? That just makes so much sense now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Oh God, that Death Wish remake that seems so, so poorly thought out is made by Eli Roth? That just makes so much sense now.

On my feed reader this morning there was an article titled "DEATH WISH Review: Pretty Much Exactly What You Expected" from Birth Movies Death with the subtitle "Drunk Uncle's new favorite movie!". I got a 404 when I clicked through which makes me think they accidentally published early and the embargo isn't up until tomorrow. But it sounds like it's as poorly thought out as we all thought.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

I liked in various degrees Eli Roth's first 3 movies (Cabin Fever and the first 2 Hostiles) and his Grindhouse trailer was awesome, but man everything he has touched since has been complete poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nate fisher posted:

I liked in various degrees Eli Roth's first 3 movies (Cabin Fever and the first 2 Hostiles) and his Grindhouse trailer was awesome, but man everything he has touched since has been complete poo poo.

I don't hate Roth and he's got some talent and humor. But he clearly has no sense of appropriateness and just never knows when to pull back. That's why it just makes so much more sense that this remake that could be good or could be bad but is just way tone deaf in modern society makes sense to belong to him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new Heathers isn't pro Trump, it just punches hard at outrage culture. It doesn't punch at people who are different or liberal - the football player is goofily, unapologetically gay.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Having not seen it there does seem to be a thin line between "outrage culture" and that thing everyone on the right calls everyone who calls out racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a pretty goddamn big overlap between people who believe that outrage culture is an issue and people who are pro Trump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly who gets to decide where to draw the line except for people who want to say "no, the thing I said was fine and you're just acting outraged you sjw."

Does Heathers actually specifically invoke Trump or are we just using him as the avatar for all he "sjw", "political correctness", "snowflakes" mess now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

There's a pretty goddamn big overlap between people who believe that outrage culture is an issue and people who are pro Trump.

I’m a big ol’ lefty and I have gotten annoyed with things I agree with, big picture wise, because of how over the top the actual message was delivered.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly who gets to decide where to draw the line

The people who are outraged about a show they've never actually watched because it has villains that aren't all cishet white guys, apparently.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Having not seen it there does seem to be a thin line between "outrage culture" and that thing everyone on the right calls everyone who calls out racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc.

Thin skin.

Number 1 rule in life. Don't be a oval office.

People can usually get along if that rule is applied

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

The people who are outraged about a show they've never actually watched because it has villains that aren't all cishet white guys, apparently.

well, the villains' costuming kind of codes them as "tumblr kids" which has certain connotations even if the show doesn't follow through with them and goes in a different direction

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, the villains' costuming kind of codes them as "tumblr kids" which has certain connotations even if the show doesn't follow through with them and goes in a different direction

Tumblr kids are the kind of people I can agree with in a broad sense, but their insistence on idealogical purity (with terms that change ever five seconds) makes me feel angry at my own politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Tumblr kids are the kind of people I can agree with in a broad sense, but their insistence on idealogical purity (with terms that change ever five seconds) makes me feel angry at my own politics.

at the same time, people who fixate extremely hard on their existence instead of just going "eh, kids are dumbasses, whatever" tend to have pretty poo poo worldviews themselves