Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Violator posted:

I think their Bronson, Busey, and Palance are my favorite characters. Ka-blamo.

Their Stan Lee has to be on the list.

"So there I was, smokin' a J with this Brian Cooler guy..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
"So I'm smokin' a J with a dirty black rag,"
is my line of the episode

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’ll always laugh at their Stan Lee being this insane monster, who does things like routinely piss on Kirby’s grave.

“Drink up, Jack.”

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fart City posted:

I’ll always laugh at their Stan Lee being this insane monster, who does things like routinely piss on Kirby’s grave.

“Drink up, Jack.”

Their stan Lee is closer to bob Kane

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Young me thought Stan Lee impressions couldn't get better than Roger: The Stan Lee Experience

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Giamatti as Galactus was their masterstroke.

You had to go and eat that second planet, PG you fat gently caress!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Do not worry about Stan Lee

But for real he's gonna die.

http://people.com/movies/stan-lee-reveals-battle-with-pneumonia-at-the-age-of-95/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pneumonia's survivable, even for the elderly, with medical care. I work at a retirement home and I've had a few folks around his age end up in the hospital for a couple weeks over it, and then come back barely worse for wear.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

So I was smokin’ a J, and I thought, “hey, I do not need to worry about myself!”

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Stan Lee is one of those guys who could live for ten more years or die tomorrow, and either way it would be unsurprising

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Soup du Jour posted:

So I was smokin’ a J, and I thought, “hey, I do not need to worry about myself!”

You're a monster.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Pneumonia's survivable, even for the elderly, with medical care. I work at a retirement home and I've had a few folks around his age end up in the hospital for a couple weeks over it, and then come back barely worse for wear.

My boss just got back to work this week from a 2 month bout of pneumonia.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fart City posted:

“Drink up, Jack.”

My personal favorite was that time they’d suggested that Stan Lee had a clause in his will where upon his death, necromancers would raise KIRBY from the dead just so Lee could steal his grave.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I don;t recall the episode, but I always like the skit of Stan Lee finding Steve Ditko sleeping on his lawn under a bed of leaves and Lee didn't notice him until he started doing yard work. Then he yelled for his wife to go get the left overs from last night, because Ditko might be hungry.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I finally watched that Waco show and I think the first half is stronger than the second half( probably because of all the cop death).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Chili so spicy, it’ll burn your shadow into the sidewalk!”

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

AceOfFlames posted:

My personal favorite was that time they’d suggested that Stan Lee had a clause in his will where upon his death, necromancers would raise KIRBY from the dead just so Lee could steal his grave.

Not emptyquoting :allears:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

These Headgum guest are just not very good are they.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I thought the one on the mailbag was fine. Black Men Can't Jump In Hollywood is a good pod.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They haven't done them in a bit, but Amy Adams: Nicest Woman in Hollywood and Martin Cinemax are some of my favorite characters of theirs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I actually miss Martin Cinemax III.

Now that I think about it, they really haven't done any Cinemax-worthy movies in a while, haven't they?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now that I think about it, they really haven't done any Cinemax-worthy movies in a while, haven't they?

Traces of Red totally was. I'm shocked Martin didn't show up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Traces of Red totally was. I'm shocked Martin didn't show up.
I think it's because they fell in love with the Dominos pizza insurance bit (as well they should have).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also maybe they're wary of how the Martin Cinemax jokes land in a post #MeToo world.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So how does this compare to How Did This Get Made or The Flop House? I gave both of those a try, but I just got sick and tired of the hosts continuously interrupting and shouting over each other and the endless riffs, resulting in it feeling like no one ever could complete a thought without someone screaming an unfunny joke that got run into the ground about 18 hours ago.

I just want a podcast where people watch a "bad" movie and actually talk about it, with a sensible amount of humour thrown in, instead of just a bunch of people sitting around talking over one another, repeating the same joke 18000 times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish Side Order of Sleaze was a more regular feature. Thankfully there's other podcasts to fill that void.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

So how does this compare to How Did This Get Made or The Flop House? I gave both of those a try, but I just got sick and tired of the hosts continuously interrupting and shouting over each other and the endless riffs, resulting in it feeling like no one ever could complete a thought without someone screaming an unfunny joke that got run into the ground about 18 hours ago.

I just want a podcast where people watch a "bad" movie and actually talk about it, with a sensible amount of humour thrown in, instead of just a bunch of people sitting around talking over one another, repeating the same joke 18000 times.

WHM mostly fits the bill but they do have running jokes that might bother you

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sponges posted:

WHM mostly fits the bill but they do have running jokes that might bother you

It's not so much the running jokes. Sprinkling them here and there is one thing, but actually stopping the discussion to run the joke into the ground over and over again, ESPECIALLY when someone is mid-sentence, starts to get really loving grating for me.

The specific episode that permanently put me off of How Did This Get Made was the Escape From LA one, where the discussion could only lurch forward piecemeal because they just wouldn't move on from the "Escape from (wacky location, hahahahaha lolololololol hilarity hahahahahahahahahaha it's funny it's funny funny funny funny funny funny lol)" bullshit that they'd repeat about a thousand times.

It was like

Person 1: So at this point Snake is given some new gear and new clothes, including a sweet black coat. Plus some big gu-
Person 2: Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart*
Person 3: So he gets some big guns. And then wha-
Person 2: Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart*

And then about what feels like 12 weeks later,
Person 1: We see Snake on a one-person submarine, and lol, the CGI sucks.
Person 3: Yeah, especially that shark. So lifelike. Hahaha.
Person 2: Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart*
Person 1: I can't believe this movie was made at around the same time as Jurassic Park. The CGI in that movie still holds up.
Person 3: Yeah, who actually did the special effe-
Person 2: Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart* Escape from *fart*

loving move on, for gently caress's sake.

I'm OK with the occasional tangent, if it's kept to a reasonable degree, but gently caress me, I can't stand ones that feel like they're nothing but tangents.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 3, 2018

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
As a dude who had to drop both of those other shows for similar reasons: Absolutely try WHM because the odds are good its going to click with you and what random jokes do come out of it tend to flow from the film itself.

Then there are maybe 2% of the time where a tangent comes to life and those actually feel magical.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I also dropped both those podcasts but love WHM.

The hosts are long-time friends so there's chemistry from the very beginning, and they understand yelling over each other and not letting someone's joke breathe is toxic to comedy. Give it a shot!

Violator
May 15, 2003

The really nice thing is they actually go through the whole movie in pretty good detail. I’d say I haven’t seen about 40% of the movies they do but I can still follow the plot and get the jokes. And for the movies I have seen, I always think they do a good job explaining the plot. Once in a blue moon they might go out left field and not follow a movie if it’s absolutely terrible, like with iirc Ultraviolet, but that rarely happens.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think HDTGM killed itself by moving to the live format. Playing to and reacting to an audience just fucks up so much. Removes the fun vibe of friends in a room together ripping on a bad movie. Instead you get bad jokes playing to a crowd and awkward silences when a crowd is bad.

It takes a really good guest and movie to save HDTGM now. I've been kind of worried by more live eps of WHM for the same reasons. I don't begrudge the hosts the opportunity to go on the road and make money, but live episodes are typically worse.

I haven't been able to get through a single episode of The Flop House. No idea why, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but one of the guys on that show has one of the most intensely annoying voices I've ever heard.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

WHM are pretty good at not talking over each other and being obnoxious.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tato posted:

I think HDTGM killed itself by moving to the live format. Playing to and reacting to an audience just fucks up so much. Removes the fun vibe of friends in a room together ripping on a bad movie. Instead you get bad jokes playing to a crowd and awkward silences when a crowd is bad.
I don't think it was playing to the audience so much as leaning way too hard into the "fan favorite" bits like Jason making dirty jokes out of everything every five seconds, or June not being able to understand the basic premise of a movie. The live shows may have fed that, but yeah it just got worse as things went on.

I still remember their Devil's Advocate life ep, where Jason kept talking over their guest the whole time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think it was playing to the audience so much as leaning way too hard into the "fan favorite" bits like Jason making dirty jokes out of everything every five seconds, or June not being able to understand the basic premise of a movie. The live shows may have fed that, but yeah it just got worse as things went on.

I still remember their Devil's Advocate life ep, where Jason kept talking over their guest the whole time.

I occasionally drive about 3 hours when I visit family every so often, so I listen to podcasts along the way. I actually had to pull over because it was just getting on my nerves so much.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Joe the Strummer posted:

WHM are pretty good at not talking over each other and being obnoxious.

They're good improv guys.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

duz posted:

They're good improv guys.

Yeah, but the HDTGM trio all have backgrounds in improv comedy, both as writers and performers. They really have no excuse.

Oh, and I'm really relieved to see that others have tuned out of HDTGM for the same reason that I did.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tato posted:

It takes a really good guest and movie to save HDTGM now. I've been kind of worried by more live eps of WHM for the same reasons. I don't begrudge the hosts the opportunity to go on the road and make money, but live episodes are typically worse.

I haven't been able to get through a single episode of The Flop House. No idea why, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but one of the guys on that show has one of the most intensely annoying voices I've ever heard.

Exactly this. WHM is a podcast about bad movies. HDTGM has become a podcast about audience interaction themed around bad movies.

Fortunately, WHM hasn't fallen into those traps yet. Their live episodes have largely been the same as their recorded episodes, and I think they have a much better grasp on what the format is, and why it works.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Vagabundo posted:

I dropped both Flop House and HDTGM for the tangents and not explaining the movie properly. I never really clicked with HDTGM because I couldn't follow along for a movie I hadn't seen before, and Flop House when the letter song started getting interminable.

I've never ever felt that way about WHM. Like others have said, they all have amazing chemistry, a great sense of timing, and also a love of movies that really makes the show amazing. I have had multiple times where I've been really impressed because one of the guys will remember some insane factoid about an actor. Like they have bits, but the bits service what's going on in their description of the plot. It's not just because Chris said the word email and now we get a 10 minute tangent singing bit.

Or we get an amazing story like the lady eating the fish in a theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
That we're asking where Martin Cinemax III has been points to a good thing about the show. It's a popular character but they're not going to force it in. They're just as likely to do something new or let each other run with what's working in the moment.

I still listen to HDTGM and the latest episode was ok. The movie was Ladybugs, the guest was Patton Oswalt, and June sounded sane and had actually watched the movie. But those first two should produce more than a creaky-hand recommend.