Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You can’t harass them...if you become them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I missed the Faracci stuff, what did he do initialy?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurtofan posted:

I missed the Faracci stuff, what did he do initialy?

You mean besides being an insufferable piece of poo poo for years? :v:

He tried taking the moral high ground when Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" tape leaked, and then he got called out by a woman who reminded him that he shoved his hand down her pants at a bar and went around to his friends telling them to smell his fingers. A few other women came out and told similar stories, and he was fired from Birth.Movies.Death. Last year, it was discovered that Alamo Drafthouse's owner had secretly re-hired him a few months later and he had been writing under a pseudonym.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Just straight up narcissism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Timby posted:

He tried taking the moral high ground when Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" tape leaked, and then he got called out by a woman who reminded him that he shoved his hand down her pants at a bar and went around to his friends telling them to smell his fingers. A few other women came out and told similar stories, and he was fired from Birth.Movies.Death. Last year, it was discovered that Alamo Drafthouse's owner had secretly re-hired him a few months later and he had been writing under a pseudonym.

oh gross

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Single White Female
What does it mean to be Single White Female'd by somebody, I still don't understand

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vegetable posted:

What does it mean to be Single White Female'd by somebody, I still don't understand
From what I gather, it means copying someones life essentially.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so the Devin Faraci thing kind of made me think about something.

is there a path to redemption at all for some of these people? if so, then what, exactly? if not, then what the gently caress exactly do we do about them, browbeat them into public suicide?

e: I don't necessarily think Faraci's atonement is genuine (it probably isn't), but some of the reaction to it makes me think that it's literally impossible for him to atone *at all* in most people's eyes except with possibly his blood.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’d say if someone was genuinely trying to turn over a new leaf and improve themselves they should get out of the spotlight and do that stuff on their own time and not expect any public accolades or whatever. This Faraci stuff just seems like more self-aggrandizement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can atone for whatever without insisting on making a spectacle of it. "Support my recovery via Patreon" seems less than honest. A lot of the problem is that people used to being taken seriously by default think the worst possible thing that can happen to someone is being told to shut the gently caress up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: I don't necessarily think Faraci's atonement is genuine (it probably isn't), but some of the reaction to it makes me think that it's literally impossible for him to atone *at all* in most people's eyes except with possibly his blood.

The reaction is largely due to the "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT HOW REMORSEFUL I AM! DO YOU NOT SEE HOW loving REMORSEFUL I AM? PRAISE ME!" tone of his writing. He'd do well to remember Matthew 6:6.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

you're posting in a movie subforum.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s a tough thing because we’re so mired in this cultural moment. But yes, I do think there is an opportunity for people like Faraci. To an extent. Should his assault ever be forgotten? No. That goes on the permanent record. But if you’re genuine and honest enough about your failures, and take ownership of them, then I think there is a path forward for reintegration. The problem Faraci specifically is that his redemption has consisted of stealthily being rehired by the employer that terminated him for his harassment, and now attempting to judo said harassment into a narrative for his new business venture. There’s no genuine ownership to it.

Like, compare all of this to Dan Harmon. I don’t particularly like Harmon, but when allegations of impropriety were raised, he did not deny them, or attempt to deflect them. Instead he went on his podcast and took absolute ownership of his transgressions. His accuser forgave him, and although his actions will always be on record (and rightfully so), it kind of feels like everyone has moved on.

It’s... a really tough thing. But I think the ship to redemption has to be steered by that element of ownership, as well as the needs of the victims. And clearly Faraci is not really doing the former, and still having a negative impact on the latter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Atonement for wrongdoing requires some understanding and appreciation of the power dynamic involved.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vegetable posted:

Single White Female is a movie in which Bridget Fonda advertises for a new roommate (the eponymous single white female), an ad which Jennifer Jason Leigh answers. Then Jennifer Jason Lee slowly begins to emulate Fonda in an attempt to subvert her and take over her life. The phrase “single white female” became a kind of cultural shorthand for a person mimicking someone else, usually with ominous, obsessive overtones.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Phylodox posted:

Single White Female is a movie in which Bridget Fonda advertises for a new roommate (the eponymous single white female), an ad which Jennifer Jason Leigh answers. Then Jennifer Jason Lee slowly begins to emulate Fonda in an attempt to subvert her and take over her life. The phrase “single white female” became a kind of cultural shorthand for a person mimicking someone else, usually with ominous, obsessive overtones.

Pretty racist to specify race like that...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

It’s a tough thing because we’re so mired in this cultural moment. But yes, I do think there is an opportunity for people like Faraci. To an extent. Should his assault ever be forgotten? No. That goes on the permanent record. But if you’re genuine and honest enough about your failures, and take ownership of them, then I think there is a path forward for reintegration. The problem Faraci specifically is that his redemption has consisted of stealthily being rehired by the employer that terminated him for his harassment, and now attempting to judo said harassment into a narrative for his new business venture. There’s no genuine ownership to it.

Like, compare all of this to Dan Harmon. I don’t particularly like Harmon, but when allegations of impropriety were raised, he did not deny them, or attempt to deflect them. Instead he went on his podcast and took absolute ownership of his transgressions. His accuser forgave him, and although his actions will always be on record (and rightfully so), it kind of feels like everyone has moved on.

It’s... a really tough thing. But I think the ship to redemption has to be steered by that element of ownership, as well as the needs of the victims. And clearly Faraci is not really doing the former, and still having a negative impact on the latter.

i mean, i don't really disagree with any of this (or any of the similar statements made in reaction to mine), and Harmon was actually someone i was going to bring up as an odd counterexample where he apologized and was actually broadly forgiven and allowed to keep doing things because his apology was really clearly sincere and his accuser forgave him.

but like... we're seriously discussing the idea that Faraci might have converted to Buddhism as a way to stalk his accuser. even though the dude is a complete garbage fire and his attempt atonement is... pretty unlikely to be sincere, y'all realize that's kind of paranoid, right? like, i would assume his thought process there was "converting to Buddhism = I am a good person now" and went pretty much no further.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but like... we're seriously discussing the idea that Faraci might have converted to Buddhism as a way to stalk his accuser. even though the dude is a complete garbage fire and his attempt atonement is... pretty unlikely to be sincere, y'all realize that's kind of paranoid, right?

I don’t think anyone actually thinks Faraci is literally stalking his accuser. But he’s obviously trying to spin his “rehabilitation” to enhance his brand, and it’s creepy and sad that his method of choice is something taught by his accuser.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is there a path to redemption at all for some of these people? if so, then what, exactly? if not, then what the gently caress exactly do we do about them, browbeat them into public suicide?

The reason his atonement doesn't seem genuine is that at the end of the day, it's all just in service of more Faraci takes about nerd poo poo. When the first half of the sentence is "I've learned a lot about myself and the ways I've hurt others," the second half really shouldn't be "and here's what that says about Poe Dameron."

It seems like genuine self-reflection and atonement would require someone in his position to recognize that he had a unique career opportunity and platform that most people don't get, and that his actions have closed those doors to him. Which is fine! There are a million people out there who can crank out psuedo-woke takes about the new Avengers movie, and he can go sort his poo poo out in private and write grants for a nonprofit or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just to make absolutely sure i'm not being misunderstood here: i think that, aside from an outside chance that faraci is the dumbest motherfucker of all time and genuinely believes what he's saying and thinks that's a good look, he's probably not being sincere. i do think that "dumbest motherfucker of all time" is on the table, but that's basically the absolute best case scenario for him and it's one of the least likely.

but at the same time, the reaction to him has been so extreme and he's been so widely hated for so long for other reasons that i'm not sure if a sincere apology a la Dan Harmon would have actually done anything for him. i feel like pretty much anything he could have done would have gotten this same reaction from everyone, even if this had been a genuine "holy gently caress i'm a bad person" wake-up call for him.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Phylodox posted:

Very similar to how "Catfishing" somebody became a verb named after the movie in which somebody fakes another identity to fool another person online.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but at the same time, the reaction to him has been so extreme and he's been so widely hated for so long for other reasons that i'm not sure if a sincere apology a la Dan Harmon would have actually done anything for him. i feel like pretty much anything he could have done would have gotten this same reaction from everyone, even if this had been a genuine "holy gently caress i'm a bad person" wake-up call for him.

Maybe. We'll never know because everything he's actually done since has been really bad and cringe-y.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Phylodox posted:

Ah, she got 3 Women'd.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If he has a path to redemption it does not include writing about movies anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If he has a path to redemption it does not include writing about movies anymore.

See this is what I think is too often forgotten about forgiveness or redemption. It doesn't always mean you get to have your old life back exactly the way it was. There can and should still be permanent consequences, such as you needing to find a new way to make a living if you were in the public eye before and your employer no longer wants to be associated with you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Let's eat him!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Hockles posted:

Very similar to how "Catfishing" somebody became a verb named after the movie in which somebody fakes another identity to fool another person online.

Or gaslighting. Based on a play from the 30s and the adapted movies from the 40s.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

Harmon absolutely deflected them. When a former Community writer said that he made her life hell, Harmon's response was to go on Twitter and say, "I'll own up to it, but you have to actually say what I did." He was basically gaslighting his accuser into reliving the experiences.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There is always paths to redemption but Faraci has been avoiding all responsibility for the entire arc, including a secret rehiring, other victims (and subsequent hush ups), and this latest reentry into the same sphere and editing his about me page to show he's closely monitoring social media criticisms in an attempt to recraft himself. Add to that Tim League being responsible for enabling another predator (Harry Knowles) and that story about his wife pre-writing an apology letter because of their association with a rapist and the whole thing is a gigantic mess that still has a way to play out. Faraci was toxic before the scandal and with a personality that bad it requires more than just a coat of Buddhist-colored paint to make everyone forget what happened. If Faraci did return in an honest way with a truly changed perspective on things, that would be grand. But it is painfully obvious he just wants his influence back, and he still has a large amount of support from people who are unintentionally (or intentionally) inspiring him to try to cheat his way to redemption.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Harmon was lucky as poo poo his accuser was a generous and open and forgiving soul because the kind of details that emerged really should do a number on somebody's career

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Faraci acts like a reality show villain.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Interestingly, the #metoo movement has picked up in Korea as well. Lots of pretty big name celebs getting called out. I expect it to be just as bad, if not worse, than Hollywood.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bar Crow posted:

Or gaslighting. Based on a play from the 30s and the adapted movies from the 40s.

Or getting All About Eve'd if you get SWF'd on a professional level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought faraci was the guy that's a 9/11 truther and wrote that into star trek into darkness but i was misremembering an article he wrote about bob orci being that guy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought faraci was the guy that's a 9/11 truther and wrote that into star trek into darkness but i was misremembering an article he wrote about bob orci being that guy

Trek seriously dodged a huge loving bullet when Paramount fired him from writing and directing Star Trek 3.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.avclub.com/majority-female-investment-group-buys-the-weinstein-com-1823449007

“According to Deadline, the $500 million deal will include a change of the company’s name, the installation of a board of directors made up mostly of women, and a fund set in place to help the alleged victims of the company’s co-founder, Harvey Weinstein.”

Looks like this ended up resolving in the best way possible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

File this in the "well no poo poo" folder:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/alex-jones-accused-sexual-harassment-racism-anti-semitism-article-1.3848193

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The worst use of the word “accused” I’ve ever seen

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Timby posted:

Jesus loving christ, if you have to hire someone, but keep it a secret YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T HIRE THAT PERSON TO BEGIN WITH. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shout out to probable rapist Kobe Bryant for winning an Oscar