Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Has episode six aired on UK Netflix yet? Lots of sources say 27 Feb but I got nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This show is so loving good. It doesn't quite match the unfiltered intensity of the Netflix superhero shows, but I think the writing, storytelling, and acting could easily stand on that tier as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm loving this show. It really goes for it. The Charlottesville stuff done with no apology or cover. Nyssa going to her mother so soon and finding out about dad. A Black Lightning vs Thunder fight. I got that super sad feeling when the episode ended and I just wanted to binge the next one.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

A bunch of reviews and commentary keep mentioning the show's slow pace and I'm just like... are we watching the same series?

It is "slow" in the sense that not much has really happened in terms of the main plot moving forward. Or like...what is even the main plot? I figured the goal being taking out the 100 and in the end Black Lightning taking on Tobias, but the last episode just went out of it's way to say that would be bad...? Hope they won't do another Jessica Jones on that front.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I liked the episode but Anissa blowing up the statue was kinda silly. Like here goes her power stomp which blows up this statue but not the base it's on and it doesn't damage the ground. But I guess a few people very poorly pretended to fall over so her power can be visibly dangerous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess if you see the show as centered around the conspiracy/secrets with Gambi, Jefferson's father, Lady Eve, and Tobias than the show can be considered "slow." But that's clearly not the driving narrative of the show. The show is about Jefferson and his family's social consciousness and wrestling their sense of devotion to each other with their need to act for the greater good. The origin conspiracy is a side thing for now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoPair posted:

I liked the episode but Anissa blowing up the statue was kinda silly. Like here goes her power stomp which blows up this statue but not the base it's on and it doesn't damage the ground. But I guess a few people very poorly pretended to fall over so her power can be visibly dangerous.
Like the "lightning" power that doesn't behave anything like actual electricity it works if you assume it's not actually just her stomping so hard that the statue broke. She used the act of stomping to direct whatever force her power actually controls into the statue - maybe the people didn't even feel it, they just reacted like that because they expected to feel it.

That could all go out the window if they make the mistake of having someone actually do tests on them to find out how their powers work, but as long as they either don't explain it or only have characters making guesses or assumptions about it then we're free to assume that it makes sense.

Avalerion posted:

It is "slow" in the sense that not much has really happened in terms of the main plot moving forward. Or like...what is even the main plot?
The main plot is Jefferson trying to work out what good he can actually do, because he's been Black Lightning and he's been Principal Pierce and neither one was doing anything in the long term - so now he's trying both together, while also dealing with the incompatible goals of seeking vengeance and taking care of his family. And that plot's moved at a pretty decent pace.

Unlike the Marvel Netflix shows where it starts out with something similar (eg. Matt trying to balance being Daredevil with running a law firm) but then starts floundering, loses its way and tries to recover by just throwing ninjas everywhere. Hopefully this show will actually stick to its central thesis - that societal problems are incredibly complex and can't be solved overnight or by one person, no matter how many ninjas he punches.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

Unlike the Marvel Netflix shows where it starts out with something similar (eg. Matt trying to balance being Daredevil with running a law firm) but then starts floundering, loses its way and tries to recover by just throwing ninjas everywhere. Hopefully this show will actually stick to its central thesis - that societal problems are incredibly complex and can't be solved overnight or by one person, no matter how many ninjas he punches.

But have you considered that maybe he just hasn't punched enough ninjas?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomBlue posted:

But have you considered that maybe he just hasn't punched enough ninjas?

Ninjas are The Tick's thing anyway

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The 100 in particular do seem like the kind of problem that could be solved with a lot of punching. Could even turn it into a family bonding experience, now. :D

Fair enough though if this isn’t meant to be that kind of superhero show.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Series finale is Black Lightning running a GOTV effort and finally cleaning up the streets by electing not-Republicans.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Avalerion posted:

The 100 in particular do seem like the kind of problem that could be solved with a lot of punching. Could even turn it into a family bonding experience, now. :D

That was actually the original rough premise, from what I recall. “Super hero dad comes out of retirement to show his daughters how to be proper heroes after they start experimenting with their own powers.” So hopefully they keep leaning into that direction.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Series finale is Black Lightning running a GOTV effort and finally cleaning up the streets by electing not-Republicans.

As someone who works in politics I nearly cried in laughter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Avalerion posted:

The thing is that The 100 is just one arm of a much larger organization that seems a lot more systemic and pervasive. This also doesn't include the ASA and whatever they're doing which may or may not be linked. The 100 is the problem in Freeland that's here and now, but it's not the source. It's just the most prominent face.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

RandomBlue posted:

nah. Willing to bet Tobias Whale was a Democrat, and the local Democratic party has a stranglehold on power, and is dominated by people up to their eyeballs in 100-related poo poo. Let's be real here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anissa is a good egg. Now hopefully she will have an outfit to match. The scene between her and Jefferson at the end was :3:

I'm glad this show is using one of the best parts of Luke Cage: the antagonist has their hideout in a music club. :v:

I hope that Lady Eve was the only one who knew the magic resurrection poo poo, or it'll be silly if they just start bringing everyone back.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Two things.

One, gonna need that bullet slide from Syonide in GIF form post haste.

Two, as long as you're in there, let's get one of the cut between the detective and Jefferson followed by "Sup."

e: Okay one more thing: Jefferson, for the love of gods, stop using the Lightning Shield. You're now 2 for 2 on someone getting the poo poo maimed/murdered out of them due to ricochet.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
edit: drat wrong thread, good episode, I like how Gambi is apparently John Wick.

My prediction for next episode:

Detective: Yo BL I can't believe you killed those people.
BL: Naw I was set up, c'mon man.
DT: oh okay, cool.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 7, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

At first I was worried they would double down on that “superheroes bad” thing with the daughter - so glad they got over that relatively fast, even the mom. This ep was definitely more my thing. :D

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

edit: drat wrong thread, good episode, I like how Gambi is apparently John Wick.

BL: Naw I was set up, c'mon man.

I feel like his merking outfit needed more buttons

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

BL: Naw I was set up, c'mon man. busy accidentally killing another lady

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Soooooo... Cop Dude totally knows that Jeff is Black Lightning, right? That bit of “you’re more than that” was his way of letting him know, and he’s gonna show up at the Pierce house with some trumped up warrant because he can’t actually touch him for being Black Lightning otherwise, right?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

nine-gear crow posted:

Soooooo... Cop Dude totally knows that Jeff is Black Lightning, right? That bit of “you’re more than that” was his way of letting him know, and he’s gonna show up at the Pierce house with some trumped up warrant because he can’t actually touch him for being Black Lightning otherwise, right?

If he knows he's BL then there's no way he would default to assuming that his best friend just decided to murder three innocent (as far as they know) people out of nowhere.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love that Jefferson has the worst alibi of all time, which is that he was across town killing an entirely different black woman. Like.....not really a proud moment in a guy's life, you know?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where'd they get the Ghostbusters' guns?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azhais posted:

Where'd they get the Ghostbusters' guns?

Yea that was one of the biggest wtf moments. "Tobias, we can frame Black Lightning by hiring some goons to kill Lady Eve with guns that shoot loving electricity." I guess those are common.

e: vvv Tobias' sister definitely had a good plan. I was more surprised at the existence of LIGHTNING GUNS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 9, 2018

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea that was one of the biggest wtf moments. "Tobias, we can frame Black Lightning by hiring some goons to kill Lady Eve with guns that shoot loving electricity." I guess those are common.

In a small community that seems to thrive on gossip and reputation, it's not too weird that a Blame-Black-Lightning gun would have been worked on in case he ever reappeared. Plus it seemed to work really well, and considering Gambi's involvement in BL focusing his energy blasts into a sniper shot...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm glad you said one of. Magic ghost tattoo was so strange it made me laugh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I ain't mad that the cool rear end comic show with a social conscience had an episode where they upped the comic crazy.

ShakeZula posted:

If he knows he's BL then there's no way he would default to assuming that his best friend just decided to murder three innocent (as far as they know) people out of nowhere.

Yeah, it was just a tease for us and Jefferson to say "Errr? Does he know?" If he knows he's being really weird about it and now that he thinks Black Lightning assassinated some people and went out of his way to express his anger at BL it would make no sense for him to coverup for Jefferson if he knew. Or not just confront him.

I would assume Lady Eve is a known criminal and if not all the guns and poo poo they find at her place would be a tip off that they weren't just civilians, but like, going all Punisher on her is still crossing a line.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I would assume Lady Eve is a known criminal and if not all the guns and poo poo they find at her place would be a tip off that they weren't just civilians, but like, going all Punisher on her is still crossing a line.

The news report makes it clear that Lady Eve was publicly on the up and up and a "pillar of the community" so the assumption that BL went after her wasn't just over the line, it's deep into villainous territory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ah, I was dozing off and I guess I missed that. My bad. And i guess Tobias' assassins could have cleaned up before calling the cops.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I hate that they killed Eve. She was a bad rear end lady villain that didn't rely on seduction and sex. It's a bunch of dudes now.

Lightning guns? Really? Where did those come from?

And, "Do you believe in the resurrection?" + instant magic ghost tattoo was an ending right out of Legion.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Wasn’t the tattoo a picture of lady Eve? Pretty sure it’s her in a new body. Or at least some higher power that was in her body initially.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Lord Bude posted:

Wasn’t the tattoo a picture of lady Eve? Pretty sure it’s her in a new body. Or at least some higher power that was in her body initially.

Pretty sure it was LaWanda, the lady looking for her daughter that Lala murdered.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Lightning guns? Really? Where did those come from?

That was the most ridiculous loving thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Yet again I feel compelled to remind the thread about the ghost who's living in that man's boob skin.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I was totally expecting a quick close-up of the lightning guns to reveal a Gambi Industries logo.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MiddleOne posted:

Especially since, if he's trying to frame Black Lightning, the organization he works for has to be completely in the dark about where he got them. So that leaves????? He's secretly a super-genius?

Edit: like I told my wife, "that's some comic book poo poo, right there."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Especially since, if he's trying to frame Black Lightning, the organization he works for has to be completely in the dark about where he got them. So that leaves????? He's secretly a super-genius?

Edit: like I told my wife, "that's some comic book poo poo, right there."

I love how the universe has been pretty drat grounded outside of the super-powers and then wham, suddenly we're inside an episode of The Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Personally, the one I’m disappointed to see get ganked so soon was Joey Toledo. I was rather enjoying that kind of deranged hipster Oswald Cobblepot thing he had going. Dude was just not functioning on the same level as everyone else around him, and yet he was probably one of the greater immediate threats to Black Lightning we’ve seen so far and then, just... pop, gone.

• Locked thread