Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

It's funny how I think about a keyboard as a pair of personally soiled underwear, but I'll usually not blink at acquiring a used laptop (where needed) even though that device was likely in even more personal situations.

Day one on a new job- disconnect USB aluminum keyboard, scrub with alcohol tissues until the keys are white and back is spotless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I brought my own mechanical keyboard to work. Now that you've got me thinking about it though, I'm using some ancient Microsoft laser mouse I found at the bottom of a moving box, the grip is all peeling. I should buy a nice mouse for work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you ever sit on the toilet at work you've shared it with a thousand dirty asses

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Not to mention door knobs. If you didn’t eat your boogers as a kid, you’re pretty much hosed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m the IT guy at a middle school. I guarantee that I have to touch the grossest keyboards of anyone in this thread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah there are people at my work that I’ve heard/seen flush the toilet and walk out of the stall directly to the door, presumably after taking a poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

I’m the IT guy at a middle school. I guarantee that I have to touch the grossest keyboards of anyone in this thread.

I’m a teacher at a middle school and I give those keyboards a quick scrub before they make it to you, so, second grossest.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i've got a two month old mbp with three non functional keys. the soonest i can get a support appointment is March 21st. what are my options for either fixing this myself without voiding my applecare or getting the issue addressed earlier?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

you're past your return period but walk into an Apple Store and tell them you want a refund because the keys don't work, lol @ support appointments for defects

unless you just got some dust in there.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205662

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have a mid 2014 MBP 15 incher. Is there a good reason to keep the resolution at the "default" location instead of running a scaled resolution? I've gotten used to my work MBP that has a higher resolution and stuff looks weird on my screen now a days.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

'Default for display' effectively pixel-doubles, whereas any other scaling mode will have a non-integer multiplier and therefore look less crisp.

Do what you want, it's your computer, but default is going to be the sharpest scaling mode. Some people don't even notice though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They've actually bumped the default setting up a notch on the 2016+, at least on the 13" model

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

They've actually bumped the default setting up a notch on the 2016+, at least on the 13" model

So you're saying on the 13" MBP the default scaling mode isn't an integer multiple?

That's breaking a bit of an unwritten rule ... Default or recommended mode is always the pixel-accurate mode in these interfaces. It holds true for every resolution / scaling settings UI I've ever used, that had a default/recommended mode, including the Mac.

If that's true, that's unfortunate!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jesus Pivo have you even used a newer model MBP

https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/02/15-inch-macbook-pro-screen-resolution-blurry/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Jesus Pivo have you even used a newer model MBP

Literally no, I played with a TB at the store and hated it, that's the extent of my 2016+ MBP exposure.

Regardless his is a '14!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mu Zeta posted:

If you ever sit on the toilet at work you've shared it with a thousand dirty asses

Asses are pretty clean compared to hands.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are 2011 iMacs with i7 cpus a good buy? Nothing wrong with the hardware? Not a ticking time bomb like the 2011 MBPs?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Asses are pretty clean compared to hands.
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Mac Hardware megathread: Asses are pretty clean compared to hands.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kuskus posted:

It's funny how I think about a keyboard as a pair of personally soiled underwear, but I'll usually not blink at acquiring a used laptop (where needed) even though that device was likely in even more personal situations.

Day one on a new job- disconnect USB aluminum keyboard, scrub with alcohol tissues until the keys are white and back is spotless.

tbf it's not as if they cost nearly as much as a laptop so it's easier to justify buying a new one to yourself

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Are 2011 iMacs with i7 cpus a good buy? Nothing wrong with the hardware? Not a ticking time bomb like the 2011 MBPs?

Graphics cards also fail
Usb 2.0 only

On the bright side Apple will still fix them even though they are "vintage" and the repairs are overpriced

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m trying to back up a new mac to my airport time capsule, and even though I plugged in an ethernet cable, it’s still trying to back up over wifi. I guess I don’t care because I can just leave it for today and tomorrow or however long it takes, but I’d like to be able to plan for the future: how do I make it use a cable instead of wifi?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

business hammocks posted:

I’m trying to back up a new mac to my airport time capsule, and even though I plugged in an ethernet cable, it’s still trying to back up over wifi. I guess I don’t care because I can just leave it for today and tomorrow or however long it takes, but I’d like to be able to plan for the future: how do I make it use a cable instead of wifi?

Turn the wifi off on your Mac.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I generally disable any unnecessary network connections to force the one I want to use. Can you simply turn off wifi/airport on the client machine? Especially if that time capsule is also providing your internet. It'll resume just fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How will you be able to unlock with your watch?!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Well,

Bob Morales posted:

Graphics cards also fail
Usb 2.0 only

poo poo
answer

In my ANECDOTAL experience and opinion, 2011 iMacs are workhorses. There's still quite a few in use at many sites I have to maintain.

Don't put them anywhere too dusty and clean them out once in a while and they'll be fine.

They're all quad-core i5's or i7s so they can still keep up a decent pace. They can be maxed to 32 GB of RAM and can take a standard SATA SSD (with an adapter kit) to speed things up even more.

Yeah, they have USB 2.0 but they also have legacy FW 800 and Thunderbolt, plus they can be used in Target Display Mode as one of the world's more expensive external monitors if you have another Mac with a Thunderbolt port. You can get a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter for less than $100 if you absolutely can't live without USB 3.0, and still have another Thunderbolt port available.

Although the discrete GPU included (ATI 6xxx) is clearly not going to let you play many modern 3D games well, it still provides plenty of standard GUI speedup and enough horsepower to at least play Netflix fullscreen (though maybe not 4K) decently.

In short, pretty decent web browser and non-4K media player with included standard DVD player and SDXC card reader..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 2, 2018

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The ATI 6X00 could play Bioshock Infinite at a passable frame rate on high. The MXM card is replaceable and not that much of an ordeal. I miss that iMac!
Edit: and Diablo III.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

In my ANECDOTAL experience and opinion, 2011 iMacs are workhorses. There's still quite a few in use at many sites I have to maintain.

They are - but because you will want to add RAM and SSD, make sure you're only paying $300 or so for one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ $400 top of the line i7 model single owner with box ^^^

Yeah not gonna game on it. Mostly it was for the screen size which matches up to my work setup so I can Remote Desktop from home at 1:1 pixels.

Would be replacing a 2009 17” MBP :smugdog:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Also, why are all the 2011 iMac dual drive guides online showing SSDs mounted with double sided tape and not the typical optical -> 2.5” bracket most people use for the same upgrade in MacBooks?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, why are all the 2011 iMac dual drive guides online showing SSDs mounted with double sided tape and not the typical optical -> 2.5” bracket most people use for the same upgrade in MacBooks?

IIRC you can stick two drives in there and keep the optical

Walkthrough: http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 2, 2018

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

im more worried about the guys who are old enough to be my father yet still can't keep from pissing all over the loving seat. not even a question of aim at this point; that you're not lifting the seat up is reason enough for you to be tarred and feathered imo

to bring things back on topic, i guess the seat in this scenario is the mac pro

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

IIRC you can stick two drives in there and keep the optical

Walkthrough: http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

Ah. I might just ditch the optical anyway. Also max this fucker out because I’m dumb like that.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

im more worried about the guys who are old enough to be my father yet still can't keep from pissing all over the loving seat. not even a question of aim at this point; that you're not lifting the seat up is reason enough for you to be tarred and feathered imo

to bring things back on topic, i guess the seat in this scenario is the mac pro

I was thinking about this thread at work in the bathroom today. I work at a place where people are so invested in their Skype calls that they will bring a laptop with them to the urinal while on the call. I have seen two laptops side by side with people in a Jabra voice headset. That is the sign of an unhealthy work environment– even if you work at a place that is supposedly ethically number one, if you are doing some sort of performance analytics next to somebody going number two, it's time to reassess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kuskus posted:

I was thinking about this thread at work in the bathroom today. I work at a place where people are so invested in their Skype calls that they will bring a laptop with them to the urinal while on the call. I have seen two laptops side by side with people in a Jabra voice headset. That is the sign of an unhealthy work environment– even if you work at a place that is supposedly ethically number one, if you are doing some sort of performance analytics next to somebody going number two, it's time to reassess.

This is legit disgusting

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kuskus posted:

a laptop with them to the urinal

what

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Speaking of old iMacs, I have a Late 2012 21.5" that has always been a little slow, mainly on opening apps. Once things are open it runs pretty well though. I bought it refurbished via the Apple Store. It still has the original 1TB spindle disk in it, I'm tempted to swap it for a newer SSD and upgrade the RAM while I'm in there, but I'd rather not if I don't need to. Any known issues with the Late 2012s that would explain why apps and startup takes forever? Is it worthwhile to upgrade?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

You can arrange the priorities of your interfaces in the advanced network menu. Bring the Ethernet to the top and it should still stay on WiFi but actually use the Ethernet for internet. I like this for being able to use airdrop while on Ethernet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

Speaking of old iMacs, I have a Late 2012 21.5" that has always been a little slow, mainly on opening apps. Once things are open it runs pretty well though. I bought it refurbished via the Apple Store. It still has the original 1TB spindle disk in it, I'm tempted to swap it for a newer SSD and upgrade the RAM while I'm in there, but I'd rather not if I don't need to. Any known issues with the Late 2012s that would explain why apps and startup takes forever? Is it worthwhile to upgrade?

It's your spinny disk.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Boner Wad posted:

My late 2015 iMac has the same issue. If I recall correctly, the HD is 5400 RPM and that’s the problem. It’s one of the many reason I’m upgrading to a MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FCKGW posted:

It's your spinny disk.