Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Do claims ever expire? My vassal hates my guts because they have some silly notions about an indivisible part of my empire being their home planet or something. Is there any way to make them retract a claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Do claims ever expire? My vassal hates my guts because they have some silly notions about an indivisible part of my empire being their home planet or something. Is there any way to make them retract a claim?

I'm in the same boat and it looks like nope, claims are functionally a permanent relationship debuff. poo poo, my uppity vassals are even claiming my home planet at this point.

They're just gonna keep on claiming poo poo and working themseves into a progressively bigger huff about it, too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Downloaded the 2.0.2 beta and my saved game won't run.. it gets about 5 seconds in and crashes to desktop.. /sigh... Oh well, time to start a new robotic overlord empire I suppose.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So uh, is the militarist war exhaustion gain bugged? I’m in the beta, going against a fanatic xenophobe-pacifist while being a fanatic egalitarian militarist. I’m gaining much higher attrition exhaustion than they are. I’m currently at 18 attrition while they are at 12. Im pretty sure it should be the other way around.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
you're probably losing a few more ships as a proportion of your total. if you manage to occupy a few planets your exhaustion will turn around. and with status quo peace you'll be able to keep them regardless of who gets to 100% first.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's just that you have to spend 20,000 minerals to build a functional set of gates, or 10,000 minerals + 10,000 energy + 5000 minerals if you happen to have a convenient ruined one.

That's actually a lot of resources. 20,000 minerals buys one hell of a space fleet, or upgrades like hella planets. Now I know someone's going to say, "Well yeah, it's a tradeoff" but no, no it's not. because the amount of other poo poo you can get for the price of that single gateway connection is enough to just take whatever wormhole your neighbor has if you weren't lucky enough to get one.

I mean I might be biased because I control both sides of a wormhole from NE to SW in my galaxy, and I have like 4 giant allies in a big federation who have other wormholes elsewhere I can use, but I honestly just don't know when I'd be in a position where I'm so far ahead of the rest of the galaxy that I could afford to throw away tens of thousands of minerals and energy on setting up a travel network.

it's doable by midgame though the 2.0.2 energy changes might make it somewhat harder. having even a 2-gate network is tremendously useful as you can centralize your shipyards, or fight on two fronts at effectively full strength. they're expensive but the benefits can't be gotten any other way so it can still be worthwhile to open them up. as i said, making ruined gates more common makes them much more consistently useful. the wormhole connections aren't always going to be useful for you, if they happen to be then you don't have to bother with gates.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Zane posted:

you're probably losing a few more ships as a proportion of your total. if you manage to occupy a few planets your exhaustion will turn around. and with status quo peace you'll be able to keep them regardless of who gets to 100% first.

I was gaining higher attrition before a battle had even been fought! I currently have 38 attrition to their 25 despite having only 9 WE from space battles to their 17.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
2.02 bug found during a beta test game tonight:

1) Own a system with a planet and a starbase
2) Have some jerk take over your system but not your planet
3) You can build (their pattern) defense platforms for the starbase (that they control)
4) :iiam:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is it not possible to assimilate pre-sapients?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

It's bullshit that you can't blow up your own rebellious planets with the Death Star Colossus.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

I was gaining higher attrition before a battle had even been fought! I currently have 38 attrition to their 25 despite having only 9 WE from space battles to their 17.

Took two planets, didn’t get any exhaustion for it. I mean, I’m gonna win, so I’m not complaining. But there’s no way it’s not a bug.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

metasynthetic posted:

For anyone else having Enigmatic Fortress bug problems, seems someone put up a mod on the workshop to fix it. Requires 2.0.2. Haven't tried it myself yet, will report back once I get the chance:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317456532

Trip report: does not work

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can't tell if they lowered the draw chance on Galactic Administration or gave it different prereqs, but the drat thing seems to take forever to show up post-2.0

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Took two planets, didn’t get any exhaustion for it. I mean, I’m gonna win, so I’m not complaining. But there’s no way it’s not a bug.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple screwy things going on with the war exhaustion formulas tbh. I remember looking at a couple of my battle results and scratching my head over the past few days -- to say nothing about passive war exhaustion. sometimes the separate battle reports don't work properly either.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Captain Oblivious posted:

I can't tell if they lowered the draw chance on Galactic Administration or gave it different prereqs, but the drat thing seems to take forever to show up post-2.0

i've noticed this too. also, the tech tree site i've been using has been updated: https://bipedalshark.gitlab.io/stellaris-tech-tree/vanilla/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh found out that's an actual file.

Here is the Grand Extrasolar Indemnity Company. I wish I knew how to mod namelists so I could modify stuff like fleet design names. I love my "Accident Forgiveness-class" ships.

https://pastebin.com/bADWtsfj

The wiki has a page about custom name lists, I think. Wasn't too hard; you can basically just take a list you like and add whatever you want to it and save it as a new list. I'm on mobile now but if you can't figure it out, I can attempt to help with my limited knowledge sometime this weekend.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jazerus posted:

The wormhole connections aren't always going to be useful for you, if they happen to be then you don't have to bother with gates.

Yeah, that's kind of exactly my point. It's not like having gates isn't useful, but two gates hardly lets you "centralize ship production". Gates are useful, but I don't see any clear argument that two gates are 20,000 minerals useful, or that 3 gates are 30,000 minerals useful. Even if you had three perfectly placed ruined gates, I think you'd have a hard time claiming that they're as useful as 15,000 minerals and 30,000 energy. I mean energy is worthless but accumulating 30,000 of it takes a non-zero amount of time.

I'm saying you could cut gate costs in half and they'd be about right. 5,000 minerals per build (which is half as much as a habitat, for something that provides travel convenience and generates absolutely no resources) 5000 energy/2500 minerals per reactivation. Those seem like sane numbers to me that would give you the ability to establish a gate network in the mid-game where it's actually useful, instead of being able to establish one during the post-crisis mop-up-the-survivors phase of the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, that's kind of exactly my point. It's not like having gates isn't useful, but two gates hardly lets you "centralize ship production". Gates are useful, but I don't see any clear argument that two gates are 20,000 minerals useful, or that 3 gates are 30,000 minerals useful. Even if you had three perfectly placed ruined gates, I think you'd have a hard time claiming that they're as useful as 15,000 minerals and 30,000 energy. I mean energy is worthless but accumulating 30,000 of it takes a non-zero amount of time.

I'm saying you could cut gate costs in half and they'd be about right. 5,000 minerals per build (which is half as much as a habitat, for something that provides travel convenience and generates absolutely no resources) 5000 energy/2500 minerals per reactivation. Those seem like sane numbers to me that would give you the ability to establish a gate network in the mid-game where it's actually useful, instead of being able to establish one during the post-crisis mop-up-the-survivors phase of the game.

Because putting a Gate on two (or more) shipyards, one Gate to each shipyard, and one closest to the probable frontline of whatever conflict you are likely to wage does in fact make matters a whole lot easier...? By the time Gateway Construction is a thing raw mineral output shouldn't be much of a constraint.

I think you're the only person I've ever seen anywhere suggest that a gate network, in this newly extremely slowed down hyperlanes only 2.0 reality, is anything less than insanely helpful :psyduck:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's just that you have to spend 20,000 minerals to build a functional set of gates, or 10,000 minerals + 10,000 energy + 5000 minerals if you happen to have a convenient ruined one.

That's actually a lot of resources. 20,000 minerals buys one hell of a space fleet, or upgrades like hella planets.

By the time I started building gates, I was at my max fleet cap, my max starbase cap, and no planets needed upgraded.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The gates are fantastic but they should be cheaper, or maybe that's just the sense of balance I get playing on .25 planet maps, which translate into less resources.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Most of the ascension perks that have additional costs beyond the initial buy in aren't really justifiable, they're only practical if you're already running away with the game. Megastructures? If I have that many minerals to spare it means I already have a sizable, well-developed empire that's probably the best in the galaxy, with enough fleet that I don't feel a need to spend minerals on it to stay secure. Species upgrade projects take an absurdly long time. Gaia terraforming is not at all worth it by that point in the game unless you're Life Seeded, which is in itself basically just handicapping yourself by volunteering for an OCC.

I honestly feel the material costs could be reduced by like, 4x and the research costs for species upgrades by like, 10x (really I'd just ditch the research-to-modify-species mechanic altogether and pay food or minerals / energy over time.)

Edit: Maybe this is all more a commentary on how this game doesn't escape the usual 4x trap of a mopup phase endgame, even though the end game crises help with that. Still, in the ideal situation for someone wanting, say, Habitats (a small geographically constrained empire) I'd still never take the pick because a small empire is never going to be able to afford them when it makes a difference.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 2, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Can't build a black hole observatory around a black hole! F'in worm bs.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean I might be biased because I control both sides of a wormhole from NE to SW in my galaxy, and I have like 4 giant allies in a big federation who have other wormholes elsewhere I can use, but I honestly just don't know when I'd be in a position where I'm so far ahead of the rest of the galaxy that I could afford to throw away tens of thousands of minerals and energy on setting up a travel network.

Yeah if you happen to have a ton of usable wormholes then the gates don't matter. I've got zero wormholes but am fighting to capture a gate system that will actually let me move across the galaxy in <50 years. I'm actually considering just waiting the 720 days to activate the gate rather than wait for my dudes to slow boat it.

So uh, is the militarist war exhaustion gain bugged? I’m in the beta, going against a fanatic xenophobe-pacifist while being a fanatic egalitarian militarist. I’m gaining much higher attrition exhaustion than they are. I’m currently at 18 attrition while they are at 12. Im pretty sure it should be the other way around.

I don't seem to have a problem, playing fanatic militarist and getting lower attrition than others. Could be a random bug.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the idea of ascension perks, but they should be big society-sweeping changes, not stuff that should simply be a technology. Like building habitats, or even becoming cybernetic should just be social/tech choices societies make.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

just wait until they start mining it

:cthulhu: :gibs:

I saw that! I don't know what happened, but he was raking in all those minerals, and then the next moment they were all unclaimed. I figured there was some event or somesuch.

He's got 'em back now though, not that I care since I'm pulling in over 500 minerals a month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cybernetics makes sense as a precursor to synth ascension, but yeah I prefer the Alphamod approach to habitats where you get basic ones through tech and the ascension just gives you 25 tile ones as a forerunner to ringworlds.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pylons posted:

By the time I started building gates, I was at my max fleet cap, my max starbase cap, and no planets needed upgraded.

Right, which was the other part of the problem I'm talking about. I was kind of hoping that gates might be usable during actual play, instead of just a cherry on top for post-crisis grognards to dick around with while they try to cement one of the victory conditions.

Like I have both technologies, to reactivate gates and build them, and I've had them for about ~30 years, but I just have other things to spend my minerals on and the Crisis hasn't shown up yet so I'd kind of rather have fleets capable of taking that down then dick around dumping a huge amount of minerals into a gate network. Again, I have a wormhole in the center of my empire, so I can pop down to the only empire that hasn't succumbed to my charm offensive and joined the alliance, but that seems pretty weaksauce if a convenient wormhole is the difference between absolutely free long distance travel and tens of thousands of minerals worth of money sink to achieve the same effect.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

How strong is the fleet that spawns in the trap 30-40 mineral system? There’s an excellent chokepoint like right past it but I’ve been holding off because I don’t want to get in over my head.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soup du Jour posted:

How strong is the fleet that spawns in the trap 30-40 mineral system? There’s an excellent chokepoint like right past it but I’ve been holding off because I don’t want to get in over my head.

I found that thing, it was part of a neighboring empire, they'd built in it but I can't imagine it did anything cos they weren't very tough, unless it doesn't trigger for the AI?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Soup du Jour posted:

I don't know if it still works, but the poo poo that spawns in that system doesn't attack the station around the star, because it's out of aggro distance, but enemy fleets will try to attack that station and get fuckin wrecked.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soup du Jour posted:

In 1.9, it spawned ~6 stations of ~2.5k each. They were distant enough from each other that you rarely had to fight more than two at once. Unless you were an idiot (or the AI).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Soup du Jour posted:

What is this trap system thing? I've never had this happen in like 500 hours. Also I stole a 22 mineral asteroid from some guy, was that the system? What's the deal!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What is this trap system thing? I've never had this happen in like 500 hours. Also I stole a 22 mineral asteroid from some guy, was that the system? What's the deal!

Pretty sure it's a Leviathans DLC thing.

There's a system with a bunch of asteroids totaling 35-40 minerals in it. If you start building mining stations, turns out the asteroids are infested with space bees and they are hostile.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's a bunch of mineral asteroids that spawn hives full of fighters at some point after you start mining.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

mods please change my name to 'infidel weed' TIA

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

Cybernetics makes sense as a precursor to synth ascension, but yeah I prefer the Alphamod approach to habitats where you get basic ones through tech and the ascension just gives you 25 tile ones as a forerunner to ringworlds.

Exactly, don't lock things out entirely for anyone, just give bonuses through choices to make those things more enticing/useful

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

seems like the beta has been hammering my gpu. anyone else noticing issues?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ignorant Hick posted:

It's bullshit that you can't blow up your own rebellious planets with the Death Star Colossus.

Can't you? I remember seeing something about being able to "test-fire" it on your own planets.

Acer Pilot posted:

seems like the beta has been hammering my gpu. anyone else noticing issues?

Have you got the bug where two of your shipyards switch places in the outliner once per frame?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

mods please change my name to 'infidel weed' TIA

Stellaris 2.0: Infidel Weed, Uncouth Swishing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roadie posted:

Stellaris 4.2.0: Infidel Weed, Uncouth Swishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I would like to file a real life bug report:

The day does not have enough time to play all the game.

Pls update

kk thx

:>